The ultimate split-stay thread

That is great to hear. I think we will just put all of our tickets on the package at BWI , and not have the dining plan for the other 2 hotels. Thank you so much!

To be honest, unless you are doing only the most expensive buffets, the DDP is not what is used to be. I removed it from our next trip because it did not meet our needs and we ended up paying more than we would have spent paying our meals OOP.

This thread has been so helpful. Thank you!

I have a couple more questions though..

When doing a split stay, if you're charging things back to your room (we plan to pay all of our expenses with GC's), does that mean that day 1 of resort #2 we can't charge back to our room?

Also, just to verify, if we buy our tickets from Undercover Tourist for the length of our entire stay (10 days) and link them to our first ressie, we -will- be able to go to the park on the first day of our 2nd ressie?

This thread has been so helpful. Thank you!

I have a couple more questions though..

When doing a split stay, if you're charging things back to your room (we plan to pay all of our expenses with GC's), does that mean that day 1 of resort #2 we can't charge back to our room?

Also, just to verify, if we buy our tickets from Undercover Tourist for the length of our entire stay (10 days) and link them to our first ressie, we -will- be able to go to the park on the first day of our 2nd ressie?

We also pay all of our expenses with GCs. You will be able to charge back to your room during the entire length of your stay, but keep in mind that if you check out of resort #1 at 10 a.m. with a $0 balance and then go to a park, and check in at the new resort at 4 p.m., any charge you made between the morning and 4 p.m. will revert back to resort #1 and go on your credit card on file. What we do is settle with resort #1 the night before checkout, and then either use physical gift cards if we haven't checked into resort #2, or we check into resort #2 ASAP in the morning and then start using our MBs for charging. As soon as you check into resort #2, your MBs will be active for charging at the new resort.

And, yes, your MBs and tickets should be fine. :)

This is all very interesting reading.

We've stayed at various resorts during our vacations-but always still had a 'home base' -essentially we could move around without our baggage:hyper:
It worked well for us as a family-but clearly cost more.:confused3

Currently planning a mom and dd trip-so there will just be the 2 of us.
I think a split stay would be a great idea-we are much tidier than dh and ds also.:lmao:

Therefore, for a complete split stay novice/dummy; please assist-

Our trip will be at least 7 days,maximum 10.
It's looking like end of jan/beginning February time.
We like to park hop-no water parks.

Resort choices-
Csr (I think this is where we will spend the majority of our vacation)
Pofq (want at least 2 nights here)
Poly (want to be here for emh at mk-unsure whether am or pm would be best?)
Gf (would have to be greatly reduced:worried:)
Wl. (Dd likes the look of this resort-but haven't visited previously-I don't like boats!)
Akl (visited in august and we loved it)

Realistically-it needs to be done the cheapest way possible.
Therefore my wish list and actual bookings could be very different:laughing:

Suggestions as how to book-in simple terms:bitelip:please.
Would consider room only,or dining package-essentially whichever way works out as best value.

:worship:

This is all very interesting reading.

We've stayed at various resorts during our vacations-but always still had a 'home base' -essentially we could move around without our baggage:hyper:
It worked well for us as a family-but clearly cost more.:confused3

Currently planning a mom and dd trip-so there will just be the 2 of us.
I think a split stay would be a great idea-we are much tidier than dh and ds also.:lmao:

Therefore, for a complete split stay novice/dummy; please assist-

Our trip will be at least 7 days,maximum 10.
It's looking like end of jan/beginning February time.
We like to park hop-no water parks.

Resort choices-
Csr (I think this is where we will spend the majority of our vacation)
Pofq (want at least 2 nights here)
Poly (want to be here for emh at mk-unsure whether am or pm would be best?)
Gf (would have to be greatly reduced:worried:)
Wl. (Dd likes the look of this resort-but haven't visited previously-I don't like boats!)
Akl (visited in august and we loved it)

Realistically-it needs to be done the cheapest way possible.
Therefore my wish list and actual bookings could be very different:laughing:

Suggestions as how to book-in simple terms:bitelip:please.
Would consider room only,or dining package-essentially whichever way works out as best value.

:worship:

Is anyone able to assist?:)

Are you talking about Jan-Feb 2015? There is an offer right now. The Poly is a construction site until next spring, therefore I wouldn't recommend it.

What I would recommend if you don't want to spend too much is to keep the moderates for the expensive days (week-end) and the deluxe for the cheaper days (week days). The difference in the price could be just as big as 100$ a night.

It's also nicer to start the trip with moderate and finish with deluxe... Ex: Fri-Sat-Sun (moderate) Mon-Tue-Wed-Thurs (deluxe)

It's also nice if you can match resorts with the parks you are going to visit (Ex: GF with MK, AKL with AK) because it reduces the amount of time spent in transportation.

Stayed at POFQ-POLY-AKL-CSR and visited WL and GF before. They all have something special. With the exception of the Poly (only because of the major refurbishments going on at the moment) I think you can't go wrong with any of them.

The dining plan is not what it used to be. IMO it's just not a good value anymore. I would recommend you book room only (you can cancel/change without fees until 6 days before your vacation) and book park tickets separately.

Are you talking about Jan-Feb 2015? There is an offer right now. The Poly is a construction site until next spring, therefore I wouldn't recommend it.

What I would recommend if you don't want to spend too much is to keep the moderates for the expensive days (week-end) and the deluxe for the cheaper days (week days). The difference in the price could be just as big as 100$ a night.

It's also nicer to start the trip with moderate and finish with deluxe... Ex: Fri-Sat-Sun (moderate) Mon-Tue-Wed-Thurs (deluxe)

It's also nice if you can match resorts with the parks you are going to visit (Ex: GF with MK, AKL with AK) because it reduces the amount of time spent in transportation.

Stayed at POFQ-POLY-AKL-CSR and visited WL and GF before. They all have something special. With the exception of the Poly (only because of the major refurbishments going on at the moment) I think you can't go wrong with any of them.

The dining plan is not what it used to be. IMO it's just not a good value anymore. I would recommend you book room only (you can cancel/change without fees until 6 days before your vacation) and book park tickets separately.

Thanks very much for your wonderful advice. :)
I do indeed mean jan/February 2015.

However, I've just come home from a doctors appointment and may need further surgery:confused3
I'm seeing my consultant next Thursday-so should hopefully find out more then.

I shall have to stop looking at flight prices for now.
But I will continue choosing resort options (in my head for now-then,book once all good to go):coffee:

I'm doing a split stay in January- 2 days AoA, 2 days 2 bedroom Akl kidani (renting points) then 2 days deluxe WL. We're a party of 7- DH, me and 5 kids-9,7,5,2 and 8 months. We plan to pack very light and drop bags off at bell service in the am. Then go to parks then new hotel around 3, hopefully check in around 4. My biggest concern right now is bags getting lost- does that ever happen. Most things can be replaced, but it would be very bad if the kids fav stuffed animal got lost. I'm thinking about taking them in a backpack to the park. Are there lockers near park entrances? Any other things to be aware with young kids?

Wow am I glad I found this thread! Had most of my questions answered, so thank you all so much!

Just turned our 2 resort split stay into a 3 resort stay. Since we were staying a pre-vacation night at the departure airport location, I figured, why not just fly into MCO late at night and hit the ground running at Disney in the morning! So we now have AS Sports for one night, CBR with S/P/D promo for 6 nights, and AoA LM for one night b/c my dd is obsessed with Ariel.

Can anyone help me with the following:
I know we can "pre-register." is that the same thing as "on-line check in?" Does it do anything to activate dining packages or tickets? Or just shave off a little bit of time in the check in process?

Do we need to physically check in to the 2nd resort in person? Could I call from our first resort to see if they have an early room (preferably with our room requests) available before wasting a trip over there?

If we do need to physically check in, does everyone have to be there? Or just me since I made the reservation?

If I go over to resort #2 (the one with the SPD package attached), will they activate tickets and dining plan and give us the mugs even if it's before 3:00 and/or the room isn't yet ready?

Flight gets in 9:30pm on arrival night. I'll pack carryon's with essentials and then some. Can we have front desk of resort #1 just hold the luggage overnight when ME delivers it? We won't need to touch it until we get to the 2nd resort and hoped we could just have it transferred right over to the 2nd resort when we check out of the 1st resort. If so, how do we do this?

Can we swim in the pool of our 2nd resort before check in? How about the 3rd? Ok as long as it's same day as check in?

With 2 different ME reservations, one made by me and one made under husband's account, will Magical Express send 2 sets of luggage tags per person instead of 1 per person?

We are planning our first full day as a sleep-late, explore resorts, swim, and DisneyQuest day. Planning on using Downtown Disney as our "transfer" to get from the first resort to the next. Any reason this wouldn't work? Do the Downtown Disney buses still travel to/from resorts with all the construction?

Finally, with all you expert split stayers, I'm betting at least some of you have eaten at the food courts. Anything unique to Sports or AoA resort food (or resort itself) that shouldn't be missed since we'll only be there one night each?

Thanks so much for all the great information and advice. :goodvibes

I know we can "pre-register." is that the same thing as "on-line check in?" Does it do anything to activate dining packages or tickets? Or just shave off a little bit of time in the check in process?

I haven't heard the term pre-register, but I'm assuming it's the same as online check in. I think it's worth it since it gives you an opportunity to really think about what time you plan to arrive at the second and then the third resort and gives the staff an approximate time of your arrival. It speeds you through check in, as well. It does not activate dining or tickets--you have to physically appear at the resort and check in for those to become active.

Do we need to physically check in to the 2nd resort in person? Could I call from our first resort to see if they have an early room (preferably with our room requests) available before wasting a trip over there?

See above. Yes. Is it a waste of time? Meh, it depends on your touring style. We love the resorts as much as the parks, so going to a new one to explore and hopefully get in our room is more exciting to us than actually getting into a park, which we've been in lots and lots of times. Also, doing online check in will allow you to make some limited and general room requests. Calling the resort will do nothing to actually connect you to the front desk. :)

If we do need to physically check in, does everyone have to be there? Or just me since I made the reservation?

Just you. But I think it's a good idea for everyone to go just in case there's issues with Magic Bands.

If I go over to resort #2 (the one with the SPD package attached), will they activate tickets and dining plan and give us the mugs even if it's before 3:00 and/or the room isn't yet ready?

Yes. Absolutely. You will want to check out of resort #1 so your room charging privileges from there stop. If you don't, ask resort #2 to make sure that you are checked out of resort #1. We go to the new resort usually first thing in the morning and have breakfast over there and just get settled into our new surroundings (our rooms are generally not ready).

Flight gets in 9:30pm on arrival night. I'll pack carryon's with essentials and then some. Can we have front desk of resort #1 just hold the luggage overnight when ME delivers it? We won't need to touch it until we get to the 2nd resort and hoped we could just have it transferred right over to the 2nd resort when we check out of the 1st resort. If so, how do we do this?

I am not sure if ME will NOT deliver luggage. (Someone else might be able to answer.) If it gets delivered or if it is able to be held at Bell Services, you will still need to go to Bell Services in the morning and ask them to move your luggage over to resort #2 and get a claim check tag from them.

Can we swim in the pool of our 2nd resort before check in? How about the 3rd? Ok as long as it's same day as check in?

You can swim in the pool as soon as you check in if it's a gated pool that requires MB access (like SAB). If it's not a gated pool with MB access, I think you'll be fine just going and swimming even if you aren't technically checked in but are staying there that night.

With 2 different ME reservations, one made by me and one made under husband's account, will Magical Express send 2 sets of luggage tags per person instead of 1 per person?

Only if you made two different ME reservations. If you did, just be warned that things might get confusing at the ME counter. We have sometimes done your exact scenario: Booked a vacation, finalized all ME reservations, then wound up with a better flight a day earlier and added a day at the beginning of our trip with a new reservation at another resort and then canceled our prior ME reservation and changed it to the new one. Our MBs have sometimes pulled up the original ME reservation. Just make sure you have the booklet in case your bands pull up the previous reservation and tag your bags appropriately.

We are planning our first full day as a sleep-late, explore resorts, swim, and DisneyQuest day. Planning on using Downtown Disney as our "transfer" to get from the first resort to the next. Any reason this wouldn't work? Do the Downtown Disney buses still travel to/from resorts with all the construction?

That works!

Finally, with all you expert split stayers, I'm betting at least some of you have eaten at the food courts. Anything unique to Sports or AoA resort food (or resort itself) that shouldn't be missed since we'll only be there one night each?

We are doing our first value stay at AoA on our arrival night at the end of next month before we transfer over to 3 other resorts, so I can't answer that, but I'm sure someone else can! Have a great trip!

I'm doing a split stay in January- 2 days AoA, 2 days 2 bedroom Akl kidani (renting points) then 2 days deluxe WL. We're a party of 7- DH, me and 5 kids-9,7,5,2 and 8 months. We plan to pack very light and drop bags off at bell service in the am. Then go to parks then new hotel around 3, hopefully check in around 4. My biggest concern right now is bags getting lost- does that ever happen. Most things can be replaced, but it would be very bad if the kids fav stuffed animal got lost. I'm thinking about taking them in a backpack to the park. Are there lockers near park entrances? Any other things to be aware with young kids?

We have had Bell Services transfer our luggage (and our irreplaceable lovies) between resorts multiple times without any issues. They do bar code your luggage with a strip sticker (which sticks very well on some surfaces, but not super well on fabric suitcases) to help prevent loss. I am sure that someone's luggage has been lost at some point. However, I think I'd rather just take a cab to the new resort and transfer the luggage myself rather than rent a locker--the costs are similar and I'd have better peace of mind. :thumbsup2

ETA: In your situation, if you do plan to take a cab, I'd plan to pack only as many suitcases as you have bodies able to handle one. I am assuming your 9 and 7 year old can handle pulling a normal-size suitcase (my kids were great helps at those ages), but I am also assuming that either you or your husband will likely be out of suitcase-pulling ability with needing to man the 5 year old, 2 year old and 8 month old. Therefore, I'd probably plan to take no more than 3 suitcases: A large one for an adult to handle and 2 smaller ones that your 9 and 7 year old can handle.

Finally, with all you expert split stayers, I'm betting at least some of you have eaten at the food courts. Anything unique to Sports or AoA resort food (or resort itself) that shouldn't be missed since we'll only be there one night each? Thanks so much for all the great information and advice. :goodvibes

We just got back from staying at the All stars Sports and stayed at AoA 2 years ago. I thought the All Stars Sports good court was just okay - the workers were very pleasant and the burgers were good, but there weren't that many choices and the pizza tasted like Elios frozen pizza.

The AoA food court was SO good! Very clean and they had so many more options. We were a huge fan.

Hope this helps!

A question: when I received my DME tags for our split stay, the return info on the form they mailed with the tags was blank though I booked the return when I called. Does anyone know if that is usual with split stays?

A question: when I received my DME tags for our split stay, the return info on the form they mailed with the tags was blank though I booked the return when I called. Does anyone know if that is usual with split stays?

I don't really know, but I always confirm my departure ME information at check in, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. They'll get you back to the airport. :thumbsup2

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone would know.... We are considering a split stay for our 2nd trip to wdw- if we book a split stay and purchase the trip insurance through Disney, do we have to buy it on both bookings or would the 1st part of the split stay's insurance cover the 2nd reservation also?
Thanks! :goodvibes

Hi, I just want to double check that my thinking is right for our upcoming trip.

We have a split stay with 2 nights of room only first (going to tour the resorts for Christmas decorations :santa:). Then we have a 5 night package with free dining and our park tickets. The day we switch over we had originally hoped to just get up and drop our bags with bell services and head to Magic Kingdom. It sounds like we will actually need to go from hotel 1 to hotel 2, check in and activate our tickets/dining, and then head to the park. Could we still drop our luggage with bell services and head to hotel 2 with just our park supplies? About how long does the check-in process usually take in the morning if you do this?

We are planning to be at the park most of the day and then have reservations for the Aloha dinner show. Will we need to go back to hotel 2 sometime in the afternoon to secure our room or can we just head back after the dinner show (~11 pm)? We don't care what type of room or view so we won't be trying to get any room upgrades/specific view or location.

Thanks!

Hi, I just want to double check that my thinking is right for our upcoming trip.

We have a split stay with 2 nights of room only first (going to tour the resorts for Christmas decorations :santa:). Then we have a 5 night package with free dining and our park tickets. The day we switch over we had originally hoped to just get up and drop our bags with bell services and head to Magic Kingdom. It sounds like we will actually need to go from hotel 1 to hotel 2, check in and activate our tickets/dining, and then head to the park. Could we still drop our luggage with bell services and head to hotel 2 with just our park supplies? About how long does the check-in process usually take in the morning if you do this?

We are planning to be at the park most of the day and then have reservations for the Aloha dinner show. Will we need to go back to hotel 2 sometime in the afternoon to secure our room or can we just head back after the dinner show (~11 pm)? We don't care what type of room or view so we won't be trying to get any room upgrades/specific view or location.

Thanks!
Would anybody be able to confirm or help me with this? Thank you!

Would anybody be able to confirm or help me with this? Thank you!

You need to check-in the 2nd hotel to activate your package. It's always safe to plan to schedule 1 hour for check-in + transportation delays. If you give your luggage to Bell Service at the first hotel, once you checked-in, you don't need to wait for your room to be ready. You can just ask them to send you a text message. You do what you wanna do during the day, when you get back to the hotel later, you get your luggage at Bell Service and go to your room. Voilà! ;)

my head is spinning now! Is it possible to 1. book your dining (180 days in advance) 2. at a later time add hotel/ maybe 2 for a split 3. later add tickets and a dining plan? My husband does not want to book a package in case we need to cancel for any reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter