• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Wave or 1900 PF--help me choose!

SouthernSoprano

Livin' the Dream....and Beating Breast Cancer!
Seeking opinions on a decision I'm trying to make regarding our first night dinner. We will be spending that first day at MK. This is a big family trip for us: our family of 4 has been tons of times, but we're also taking my mom (who hasn't been in 35 yrs) and my niece and nephew. So our kid total is at 4 (2 14yr olds, 2 12 yr olds).
Right now, I'm holding onto an ADR at The Wave at 640p and a 1900 Park Fare at 805p. We've never eaten at either place. I realize that PF has characters, which was the original draw, but I spent weeks trying to get an ADR there and failed. So I gave up and got one at The Wave. Shortly after, an ADR opened up on TPlans for PF and now I don't know what to choose. Just for background on the rest of our week, we have 'Ohana dinner, Whispering Canyon dinner, BOG lunch and dinner, and Raglan Road dinner. *We are on the regular dining plan.

I'm looking for the best experience of course, but I also want the food to be enjoyable. Basically, I want to know if the food is good enough to be worth seeing the characters. Or should I skip the characters in order to have the better meal? I've looked at menus online but I think its best to hear directly from people who've eaten at these places. Thanks in advance.

Seeking opinions on a decision I'm trying to make regarding our first night dinner. We will be spending that first day at MK. This is a big family trip for us: our family of 4 has been tons of times, but we're also taking my mom (who hasn't been in 35 yrs) and my niece and nephew. So our kid total is at 4 (2 14yr olds, 2 12 yr olds).
Right now, I'm holding onto an ADR at The Wave at 640p and a 1900 Park Fare at 805p. We've never eaten at either place. I realize that PF has characters, which was the original draw, but I spent weeks trying to get an ADR there and failed. So I gave up and got one at The Wave. Shortly after, an ADR opened up on TPlans for PF and now I don't know what to choose. Just for background on the rest of our week, we have 'Ohana dinner, Whispering Canyon dinner, BOG lunch and dinner, and Raglan Road dinner. *We are on the regular dining plan.

I'm looking for the best experience of course, but I also want the food to be enjoyable. Basically, I want to know if the food is good enough to be worth seeing the characters. Or should I skip the characters in order to have the better meal? I've looked at menus online but I think its best to hear directly from people who've eaten at these places. Thanks in advance.
I personally thought the quality of food at PF was not good at all. Ditto for the selection/variety. The stepsisters were hilarious though and made it worth while. Had it not been for them, i'd be annoyed spending my money just for characters had i paid by cash. But i was on the dining plan. So I didnt mind. Ha ha.

Bottom line, you're paying for the characters at PF. Food isnt good IMHO. If you want good food, go to The Wave. LOVE it there. It definitely is a hidden gem.

Definitely choose 1900 Park Fare if you're on the Dining Plan. You'll get more value for your TS credit, and you'll have a lot of fun there with a big family group.

I like your other choices too. Ohana for dinner, WCC, BOG and Raglan are all great choices. My tips: if you order the AYCE skillet at WCC, you will be stuffed so ask for your dessert to be wrapped to go. That apple caramel pie is a nice late night snack. Order the Ger's bread pudding for dessert at Raglan Road. To-die-for!

Have a wonderful trip! :)

We went in 2015 for dinner to 1900 PF and 2016 for breakfast.
Anyhow, the service was a little brusque at 1900 PF, but the characters were good...and we really enjoyed the food! I was expecting it to be bad with the reviews, but it was one of the better dinner buffets we have had at WDW. I don't know if it improved since others had been (and, who knows, it could have gone downhill again since then), but we found the food pretty good for a buffet.

Definitely choose 1900 Park Fare if you're on the Dining Plan. You'll get more value for your TS credit, and you'll have a lot of fun there with a big family group.
A better value on the DP because it cost more? What about the quality of food? I wouldn't choose a restaurant based on DP value alone. No question, The Wave has much better quality. And it too can be a great value on the DP. Im sure there are others who think PF has great quality of food. To each their own. My experience hasnt been that great.

@goofyintoronto I didn't love the food at dinner in 1900 Park Fare. However, if this family is looking to experience a character meal during the trip, it's a better use of a credit than an entree + dessert at an ala carte restaurant.

Plus, the meal is a load of fun, and the Grand Floridian is worth going to see. :)

We've never done a character meal. I thought it would be nice to experience, but its not a make-or-break must do. I am mainly concerned about the food, as I'd rather we enjoy that more. If characters happen to come along with that, great! If not, also great!
I know, I know...I'm so complicated. :upsidedow

If you are focusing only on the food, which one would you truly pick?

We've never done a character meal. I thought it would be nice to experience, but its not a make-or-break must do. I am mainly concerned about the food, as I'd rather we enjoy that more. If characters happen to come along with that, great! If not, also great!
I know, I know...I'm so complicated. :upsidedow

If you are focusing only on the food, which one would you truly pick?

I can't give you an opinion on The Wave since I haven't been. It is not even my list of places I'd like to try even though it seems to get mostly good reviews. It just doesn't sound like particularly unique or like it has much atmosphere.

Focusing strictly on food for a character meal, I have to say the best I've been to is the breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. I have a reservation to go there on my upcoming trip at 11:15 on a day we are going to the Magic Kingdom. This way, we can have a big brunch-like meal and eat a QS dinner later on.

The characters are Pooh, Tigger, Alice, Mary Poppins and the Mad Hatter. I enjoy everything about this meal. Miss Poppins and the Mad Hatter are hilarious, the place is beautiful, and we've always had excellent service.

The omelette station is great. You can get an omelette with anything in it or simply fresh eggs. There is a bagel bar with smoked salmon and all kinds of toppings, a carving station with quality ham and strawberry soup which is to-die-for.

The dinner buffet food was not great when we tried that, but to be fair, it was during the Great Recession of 2009, and none of the buffets we had that week were at their best. The characters were fantastic though. Cinderella and her family put on quite a fun show.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Quality of food begs going to The Wave IOHO, DH and I prefer many of the Wave's dishes over something at Artist Point, referring specifically to steak and the scallops, Wave wins both!

Quality of food begs going to The Wave IOHO, DH and I prefer many of the Wave's dishes over something at Artist Point, referring specifically to steak and the scallops, Wave wins both!

This is good to know. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter