The Z family takes WONDER-ful Alaska! 9/1/14

MrsZ

Disney Bride*AP Holder*Tiki Room fan*Mermaid*
Hey y’all!

I’ve been quiet on the DIS for a while... actually a long while! :rolleyes: I’ve been so focused on our move into our new house and our careers that I just hadn’t had time to do anything fun, and by “fun” I mean DISNEY! However, now that the dust has started to settle I need more DISNEY in my life! So now I’m back in action with an actual reason to write and get excited! :thumbsup2

So here is how this WONDER-ful trip got started. Last Christmas DH, DMIL, DFIL, and I were sitting around, after stuffing ourselves silly with Christmas cookies, discussing some future travel plans. Ya know, just for fun! DMIL brought up Alaska... The women has been talking about Alaska for the past 10+ years I’ve known her, yet she has never been. DMIL has had a tough couple of years and DH and I really wanted to do something nice for her. So while she continued to go on and on and on about Alaska, I got up, retrieved my laptop, and booked the DCL Alaska cruise departing Vancouver on Sept. 1st. I still don’t know if DMIL and DFIL technically agreed to the trip but at this point they don’t have a choice, they’ve come to that realization, and they are pretty excited now.

Let’s start this PTR in the normal fashion and introduce everyone!

CAST OF CHARACTERS

ME!

I’m a past Disney Bride woot woot! (I swear it’s like being part of the sorority that I never joined) I’ve been a long time Disney Geek and lover of all things with happy endings. DH and I live in NH but my heart and soul belongs somewhere warm with palm trees and ocean breeze. Oh and one more thing... I am a soccer (or futbol if you’re from anywhere other than here) PSYCHO! I’m beyond excited for the World Cup to start and My MLS team is the NE Revolution! ::New England Till I Die!::

ok enough about me... moving on

DH

Obviously a past Disney Groom. (wore the top hat ears and all) Electrician by day, fisherman by... weekend? (He isn’t much of a night fisherman) He is a Disney history fan and his favorite part of any WDW vacation is drinking around the world at Epcot.

DMIL

She has nicknamed herself “Mountain Momma”. She and DFIL live in MA but frequently spend time in the mountains of NH (hence the nickname). She is a cruising newbie. Doesn’t know much about Disney other than who Mickey Mouse is but she is willing to allow this cruise to Alaska to be a Disney one.

DFIL

Take everything from DMIL’s bio and insert here. Minus the Mountain Momma nickname. DFIL has a love of hiking, fishings, and exploring. He doesn’t mind our love of Disney however, he has expressed a strong dislike to Goofy. So DH and I are totally going to make a Goofy experience happen.

Next up... Travel plans!

Happy Monday!

Hope you’re Monday went by quickly and painlessly. Mine did! I couldn’t wait to get home and update my PTR! So sere are our plans so far...

PLANS FOR DAY 1 AND EMBARKATION DAY :cool1:

We will leave Boston airport on August 31st EARLY! We are like the first flight out... some ungodly hour of like 6:15am for take off. DH and I will probably spend the night at DMIL and DFIL's house since they aren't far from the Boston airport. We stop in San Fransico and then continue on to Vancouver. We should be arriving in Vancouver around 1:00pm, still early enough to go explore. :thumbsup2

We are booked to spend the night at the Pan Pacific! :: oooh la la!:: :cutie: I am so glad I was able to talk DH and the DI-L’s into splurging and staying here. It’s not only a gorgeous hotel but the sheer convenience of being right on top of the cruise terminal is going to be spectacular.

Once we get checked in to the hotel I’m sure we will need an hour or so to unwind and shower off the “travel”. (Anyone else feel like they need to was the “travel” off? Or am I the only germophobe? :confused3 ) I figure we can all meet and find somewhere to have a delicious dinner. So far there are two places i’m looking at... Cactus Club Cafe and The Bellagio. I’m definitely leaning towards the Cactus Club since it looks so pretty and is next to the olympic cauldron! Really want to see that!

The next morning we will probably grab a quick breakfast, hang out around the hotel and then get on that boat! I can’t wait to be back on a boat again! This will be our first time on the Wonder. So far we have been on the Magic and the Fantasy. Both ships had their strong points... it is hard to compete with the newer ships but i have to say that the magic (even before the remodel) is still awesome. Sometimes I think the smaller ships are more fun!

I'm not sure what else we will be doing on embarkation day. Most likely lost of exploring of the ship and going to the spa to purchase a couple of day passes for the rain forest room! :lovestruc

Any suggestions for things to do in Vancouver or on embarkation day??

up next plans for day 2 and 3!

Subbing! We do not head to Alaska until next year but I love your PTR so far and I am looking forward to hearing how all your planning and how your trip goes.

BTW, My son is a huge NE Revs fan. (Although he also loves the Timbers). As soon as I saw your picture at Gillette I was hooked. :rotfl2:

I wish you and your family a great trip and happy planning. :thumbsup2

Subbing! We do not head to Alaska until next year but I love your PTR so far and I am looking forward to hearing how all your planning and how your trip goes.

BTW, My son is a huge NE Revs fan. (Although he also loves the Timbers). As soon as I saw your picture at Gillette I was hooked. :rotfl2:

I wish you and your family a great trip and happy planning. :thumbsup2

Hahahaaaa!! Awesome! I love that you knew I was at Gillette :thumbsup2 my west coast team is Seattle sounders (don't tell your son!)

We are so excited about this trip. I can't believe we are a little under three months before we go.

So glad you're going to hang out with me while I count the minutes until we are headed to the wonder! :goodvibes

Good Evening and happy hump day!!

We are just 2 months and 22 days from sailing on this Alaskan Adventure! :cool1: It still doesn't seem real some how! It probably will feel closer as the summer flies by (as it usually does!)

Anyway Disney park music loop is on and away I update!:good vibes

DAY 1 AT SEA AND TRACEY ARM DAY!

So not too much planned here. Unfortunately any of the items we have booked so far are just for DH and I. We are Castaway club members so we were able to book things last week. We can't add DMIL and DFIL until the 18th. I'm REALLY hoping we don't miss out on anything. I honestly don't think we are going to have too much of an issue since everything I am reading points to the ship not being full.

The at sea day I plan on enjoying all that the ship has to offer! DH and I love doing tastings! we've done the wine tasting, martini tasting, and took the bar-tending class where you drink everything you make! :rolleyes1 I am hoping we get to do one of those on the at sea day! I also am excited to see what movies are being played too. Nothing like relaxing and watching a movie popcorn:: I really enjoy the at sea days. So much to do!

The Tracy Arm day we tentatively have brunch booked for 10:30 in Palo. :cloud9: Please send pixie dust so that this time next week I can just up the reservation to 4 people and not have a hassle! DH and I did Palo brunch on our first cruise in 2011 and LOVED it! The food was amazing! I'm also looking forward to breaking out my sad excuse for a DSLR camera ( I bought a second second hand 2004 canon rebel and think i'm a photographer) :rotfl2: I've heard such amazing things about seeing the glaciers! The travel agent that we used did this cruise before and said there was nothing like sitting in the hot tub and watching the scenery on Tracey Arm day! I'm hoping the weather will cooperate so we can attempt the same thing.

So that's really all I have planned for those two days. I like to relax and enjoy my time on the ship. Sorry I don't have more to post about... But I promise I will soon!

Anything you like to do on a sea day that I might be missing or that you would suggest?

Next up Skagway and Juneau plans!

I think your plans sound awesome! Hot tub and Palo on the Tracy Arm day! :thumbsup2 Sign me up!!! Wishing you much pixiedust: when you go to update Palo to 4!

We also love Palo. DH seriously would eat there every day if they let him. The brunch is the best.

Are you thinking about scheduling any spa treatments? We didn't do that on our last cruise but I really want to try some on our trip to Alaska. They have those private rooms with the big windows. Those would be so nice on the Tracy Arm day too!! :love:

We are booked to spend the night at the Pan Pacific! :: oooh la la!:: :cutie: I am so glad I was able to talk DH and the DI-L’s into splurging and staying here. It’s not only a gorgeous hotel but the sheer convenience of being right on top of the cruise terminal is going to be spectacular.

I figure we can all meet and find somewhere to have a delicious dinner. So far there are two places i’m looking at... Cactus Club Cafe and The Bellagio. I’m definitely leaning towards the Cactus Club since it looks so pretty and is next to the olympic cauldron! Really want to see that!

Hi MrsZ - I just returned from our Alaskan cruise. We stayed at the Pan Pacific. It was fab! It was so convenient to everything. :thumbsup2

We actually ate at both places. If you only have one night, I would go for the Cactus Club. The Cactus Club Café was wonderful. :love: It was also very busy, see if you can have Concierge get a reservation for you as soon as you check in. We had a table overlooking the harbor. The food was very good and the service was very attentive. The Olympic cauldron is really cool, but don't expect it be lit up. If you are there after dark, you will see the arms lit up, but alas no flame. You will also be next to the Pixel Orca.

The Tracy Arm day we tentatively have brunch booked for 10:30 in Palo. :cloud9: Please send pixie dust so that this time next week I can just up the reservation to 4 people and not have a hassle! DH and I did Palo brunch on our first cruise in 2011 and LOVED it! The food was amazing!
Anything you like to do on a sea day that I might be missing or that you would suggest?

Don't worry if you can't get Palo for your In-laws on the 18th. Palo brunches go fast on the Alaskan cruises. Just go to Wavebands after you embark and get them added to your reservation. It should be no problem adding 2 more people to a 4 top.

YAY! I have DIS friends to talk to!!!! :cool1:

I think your plans sound awesome! Hot tub and Palo on the Tracy Arm day! :thumbsup2 Sign me up!!! Wishing you much pixiedust: when you go to update Palo to 4!

We also love Palo. DH seriously would eat there every day if they let him. The brunch is the best.

Are you thinking about scheduling any spa treatments? We didn't do that on our last cruise but I really want to try some on our trip to Alaska. They have those private rooms with the big windows. Those would be so nice on the Tracy Arm day too!! :love:

Thank you for the pixie dust!! I could eat at Palo every day too! I'm going to make sure we take our time at brunch...

We aren't sure if we are going to do any spa treatments. We've done them on our previous cruises and although we always feel good after I'm always thinking "Meh?" :confused3 I think for the $$ I always wonder what else we could have done instead. However the day passes to the rainforest room is something I"m looking into... ever done one of those?

Hi MrsZ - I just returned from our Alaskan cruise. We stayed at the Pan Pacific. It was fab! It was so convenient to everything. :thumbsup2

We actually ate at both places. If you only have one night, I would go for the Cactus Club. The Cactus Club Café was wonderful. :love: It was also very busy, see if you can have Concierge get a reservation for you as soon as you check in. We had a table overlooking the harbor. The food was very good and the service was very attentive. The Olympic cauldron is really cool, but don't expect it be lit up. If you are there after dark, you will see the arms lit up, but alas no flame. You will also be next to the Pixel Orca.

Oh good to know!!! I wonder if I can call and make reservation the day before we leave for Vancouver! I heard the olympic cauldron won't be on fire but even just lit up with the pretty lights looks awesome!:thumbsup2 Thanks for the info11

Don't worry if you can't get Palo for your In-laws on the 18th. Palo brunches go fast on the Alaskan cruises. Just go to Wavebands after you embark and get them added to your reservation. It should be no problem adding 2 more people to a 4 top.

Oh good! Phew! That makes me feel so much better :goodvibes

It's Saturday!!!!! :hyper:

It's been a whirlwind of a week! Work craziness has taken a big chunk of my life, DH and I had some family issues (nothing terrible but enough to start a discussion and rethink some of our future plans), and The World Cup started this week!!!! :woohoo: Now it is time to update my PTR and continue my Alaskan excitement.

As I sit here drinking my coffee out of my minnie mouse mug I am reminded of all the previous vacations i've taken with DH. :surf web: I am the "early bird" and he is the sleep until 10:00 person in this equation. It doesn't matter if we are on a Disney cruise or at WDW, I am ALWAYS up early. One of my favorite things about WDW and Disney Cruise line is that the resorts and boats are attractions all in themselves. There is nothing better than getting ready and taking a walk to the quick serve restaurant, grabbing some coffee, and relaxing in the lobby or on the deck. Totally off topic but our favorite resort is the AKL I love watching the animals in the morning and having that "me time". ::yes:: I did this quite a bit on the boat. I always make friends with the baristas at cove cafe and will usually spend the extra $$ on a nice coffee in the morning. I always get some of the best info from the cast members on board in regards as to what to do in each port. :thumbsup2 I just can't wait to have that again! I mean I get it at home (currently DH is sleeping) but as I type my dogs are driving me nuts... I swear they can be just like kids, and I'm staring at the dirty dishes from last night thinking I should be doing those instead of typing on the DIS :rolleyes2

Let's move on to our plans!!!

SKAGWAY AND JUNEAU

Skagkway looks like something out of a movie! Very very cool!

We had grand ideas of doing a jeep tour on our skagway day but when we looked into it further we noticed it was 8 to 8.5 hours long. That would basically be most of our day. I don't want to do that. I want to do a fun excursion but still have time to check out the port itself. SO we changed our minds and booked the Chilkoot Horseback adventure. I love this idea! Its only 4 hours long and I love the idea of riding a horse through nature trails... something about driving a jeep around would make me feel like a goof ball. Like look at the "city folk" thinking they are roughing it because they are driving a jeep Wrangler. :rotfl: No offense to anyone doing the jeep excursion... I say all this now but who knows it'll probably rain and I'll be soaked while you all are nice and warm and dry!

After the excursion I want to hang around the port and check out the fun shops. My goal is to purchase something from every port... need something to prove I was there!

JUNEAU

We aren't doing any excursions in Juneau through Disney. I read online that there are plenty of cheap cabs that will take you to the Tongass national park. So that is our plan. I've seen pictures where you can walk close to the Tracy Arm glacier and you can see some very cool landscapes and animal sightings. There is also a question of checking out the salmon hatchery. Out of all the ports, Juneau had the most access to activities without booking excursions.

Also I NEED to get to the red dog saloon. Random fact about me... I LOVE Wyatt Earp. He is one of my favorite people in history. Apparently he ate at the Red Dog Saloon and left his gun there. I need to have my picture taken with that gun... like it is imperative to my life that this happens. So we are planning on Lunch at the Red Dog no matter what!

I mean look at that mustache!

On the boat, the Juneau day is also the day of the Pixar Party. DMIL and DFIL don't know what Pixar is... Knowing that we decided to book Palo for dinner that night... :cloud9: So excited!

Any thoughts on things to do at Skagway or Juneau?

Hey everyone!!

It's been super busy at work and because DH and I are taking next week off for a "stay-cation" I have been doing double to make sure I am all caught up :scared:

So let me give you all a quick update!!

1) how SWEET was that USA game against Ghana?! :cheer2: I have been watching all of the World Cup games as often as I can! I love is sport!!

2) bit of disappointing news... Today is the 75 day mark for our cruise so I was able to book things for DMIL and DFIL. We were able to add them to everything except the horseback ride. :sad2: I'm going to keep checking and hope that someone drops out and we can slide them in but we may need to change our excursion.

Anyone have any ideas on a good back up??

Liking your PTR so far :thumbsup2

My DH, DD (14months) and I are going to be on this same cruise! I've been looking/researching almost everyday (inbetween watching the World Cup matches) trying to decide what excursions to do.

We have brunch reserverations at Palo for Tracy Arm day also! I'm so excited, I've only heard good things about their brunch! Our time isn't until 12 or 12:30 so we'll probably be coming in as you guys are leaving.

I also booked a spa treatment for our first sea day. Nothing like the gentle swaying of the ship to enhance the relaxation of a massage.

We haven't booked anything else yet, however, we will most likely be booking things privately. I've been reading the boards and trip advisor like crazy trying to decide what would work best for us.

Happy planning!! :wave2:

Liking your PTR so far :thumbsup2

My DH, DD (14months) and I are going to be on this same cruise! I've been looking/researching almost everyday (inbetween watching the World Cup matches) trying to decide what excursions to do.

We have brunch reserverations at Palo for Tracy Arm day also! I'm so excited, I've only heard good things about their brunch! Our time isn't until 12 or 12:30 so we'll probably be coming in as you guys are leaving.

I also booked a spa treatment for our first sea day. Nothing like the gentle swaying of the ship to enhance the relaxation of a massage.

We haven't booked anything else yet, however, we will most likely be booking things privately. I've been reading the boards and trip advisor like crazy trying to decide what would work best for us.

Happy planning!! :wave2:

Well Hello there!

Glad you're enjoying the PTR! Very cool that you're on the same cruise! :good vibes

I'm still trying to figure out what excursion I should keep as my back up if that horseback ride doesn't open up in Skagway. Which excursions are you looking at (if any) that day?

Hey everyone!!

It's been super busy at work and because DH and I are taking next week off for a "stay-cation" I have been doing double to make sure I am all caught up :scared:

So let me give you all a quick update!!

1) how SWEET was that USA game against Ghana?! :cheer2: I have been watching all of the World Cup games as often as I can! I love is sport!!

2) bit of disappointing news... Today is the 75 day mark for our cruise so I was able to book things for DMIL and DFIL. We were able to add them to everything except the horseback ride. :sad2: I'm going to keep checking and hope that someone drops out and we can slide them in but we may need to change our excursion.

Anyone have any ideas on a good back up??

Hi there,
Have you considered booking your horseback ride directly with Alaska Excursions, we did this for our trip in August. It is also a little less expensive as well. Check out their site. It allows you to book directly, and has availability for the 3:30 ride for 4. for your dates.:goodvibes

I'm still trying to figure out what excursion I should keep as my back up if that horseback ride doesn't open up in Skagway. Which excursions are you looking at (if any) that day?

I'm going back and forth between the Alaska Sled Dog and Mushers Camp or a tour of the Yukon through Frontier Excursions and Adventures. Two totally different things... :confused3

Hi there,
Have you considered booking your horseback ride directly with Alaska Excursions, we did this for our trip in August. It is also a little less expensive as well. Check out their site. It allows you to book directly, and has availability for the 3:30 ride for 4. for your dates.:goodvibes

I did see that. However I have a couple of reservations about that time frame. They are charging almost $40 more per person because the afternoon ride includes dinner. I'll be honest and say that most in our party are and kind of cheap lol. The fact that I talked DMIL into the Pan Pacific is nothing short of a miracle. I did pose the question of doing the night time ride and paying the extra $$ but I got the answer I thought "isn't the dinner on the boat included? why pay for dinner?" :rolleyes1

I'm going to keep checking to see if a couple drops out of the morning ride. I wish DCL had a wait list or something for booked up excursions.

I'm going back and forth between the Alaska Sled Dog and Mushers Camp or a tour of the Yukon through Frontier Excursions and Adventures. Two totally different things... :confused3

Both of those look really cool! I think I'm going to push that our back up be either the zip line or the kayak adventure. :goodvibes

Oh it's Tuesday!

DH and I are on our stay cation and in full DH fashion I am up with the dogs enjoying my coffee and writing on the DIS while he is fast asleep! :rotfl2: Looks like we will be having some decent weather today so we are going to spend all day in the pool! :thumbsup2

So quick update on the cruise plans and then I have a minor rant/question. So let's move into the updates!

I found the navigators!!!!! :cool1::hyper: So per my usual OCD planning I downloaded them into ibooks on my iPad and scrutinized everything!

Here is the list of things we definitely want to do!

1.) Champagne tasting

This is more for DMIL and I. We've done wine tastings and beer tastings locally but never champagne! I can't wait to do this! :hyper:
2.) Mixology

DH and I have done Mixology before. It was SO fun! I would love to do it again. I like that it is interactive for everyone. Each person gets a try at making the drinks and it leaves you pretty... tipsy ::yes::

This is us last cruise doing the mixology class!

3.) Towel Animal
I've always wanted to take this but DH had no desire to learn this. I have no problem doing something alone but I kept missing it. DMIL really wants to do it so we are going to make it a priority! :thumbsup2

4.) BINGO!
We did bingo on our first cruise in 2011 It was so fun! The cast members make it a blast! Can't wait to do it again!

So here is my rant... although I shouldn't call it a rant.. maybe a question..??.. So I'm an OCD planner, I'm sure most of us are that have made our way over to the DIS. Do any of you feel lie you're steam rolling family? I don't mean to, I really don't but I am feeling like I'm not getting any feedback about the excursions. On the boat we will be fine because everyone can do their own thing, but the excursions have been tough. Even the horse back ride I don't know if it is what EVERYONE wants to do. Every time I ask DMIL and DFIL about it I get "whatever you think will be the most fun". I mean I don't mind taking control but i'm worried i'm running the trip too much. Should I be concerned?:confused3

Oh it's Tuesday!

DH and I are on our stay cation and in full DH fashion I am up with the dogs enjoying my coffee and writing on the DIS while he is fast asleep! :rotfl2: Looks like we will be having some decent weather today so we are going to spend all day in the pool! :thumbsup2

So quick update on the cruise plans and then I have a minor rant/question. So let's move into the updates!

I found the navigators!!!!! :cool1::hyper: So per my usual OCD planning I downloaded them into ibooks on my iPad and scrutinized everything!

Here is the list of things we definitely want to do!

1.) Champagne tasting

This is more for DMIL and I. We've done wine tastings and beer tastings locally but never champagne! I can't wait to do this! :hyper:
2.) Mixology

DH and I have done Mixology before. It was SO fun! I would love to do it again. I like that it is interactive for everyone. Each person gets a try at making the drinks and it leaves you pretty... tipsy ::yes::

This is us last cruise doing the mixology class!

3.) Towel Animal
I've always wanted to take this but DH had no desire to learn this. I have no problem doing something alone but I kept missing it. DMIL really wants to do it so we are going to make it a priority! :thumbsup2

4.) BINGO!
We did bingo on our first cruise in 2011 It was so fun! The cast members make it a blast! Can't wait to do it again!

So here is my rant... although I shouldn't call it a rant.. maybe a question..??.. So I'm an OCD planner, I'm sure most of us are that have made our way over to the DIS. Do any of you feel lie you're steam rolling family? I don't mean to, I really don't but I am feeling like I'm not getting any feedback about the excursions. On the boat we will be fine because everyone can do their own thing, but the excursions have been tough. Even the horse back ride I don't know if it is what EVERYONE wants to do. Every time I ask DMIL and DFIL about it I get "whatever you think will be the most fun". I mean I don't mind taking control but i'm worried i'm running the trip too much. Should I be concerned?:confused3

I hear you!! But maybe they just really, really trust you! Sounds like they know you will pick the perfect excursions because you are the one who is so informed! I bet it will all go just super smoothly and your DMIL and DFIL will be happy to give up the control to you, and just go with the flow. It is ALASKA!! How can they not enjoy it?! :thumbsup2

BTW, champagne tasting sounds AMAZING! Going to remember to try that one when we go. :lovestruc

I hear you!! But maybe they just really, really trust you! Sounds like they know you will pick the perfect excursions because you are the one who is so informed! I bet it will all go just super smoothly and your DMIL and DFIL will be happy to give up the control to you, and just go with the flow. It is ALASKA!! How can they not enjoy it?! :thumbsup2

BTW, champagne tasting sounds AMAZING! Going to remember to try that one when we go. :lovestruc

LOL I'm hoping that's the answer. It's a lot of pressure! I hope what i'm picking is good! I just don't want to be the big bad planner who takes over! HAHAHA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter