Themes of the medals?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
So Disney has three or four race weekends each year at the world, right? I get that the princess race has medals that Meare always themed princess, right? Same with the Star Wars? What about the other two? Are they a wild card each year?

4 race weekends.

Marathon Weekend
Princess Weekend
Star Wars Weekend
Wine and Dine Weekend

Princess and Star Wars always stay with characters from those areas.

Marathon Weekend sticks with the fab five and classic characters.

Wine and Dine tends to change it up every year. This year is supposed to be villains if it happens.

I was googling some pics and there came up some sites where people were selling their medals, like this year's Princess run. Why do people sell them and why do people buy them? I would never want to show off a medal I didn't earn rightfully. Or is there something I am missing?

I was googling some pics and there came up some sites where people were selling their medals, like this year's Princess run. Why do people sell them and why do people buy them? I would never want to show off a medal I didn't earn rightfully. Or is there something I am missing?
selling the medals doesn't make sense to me unless you really dont care for medals at all - I bought a medal before though, well, a second medal for a race I did so I could make a different display out of it.

selling the medals doesn't make sense to me unless you really dont care for medals at all - I bought a medal before though, well, a second medal for a race I did so I could make a different display out of it.
Ok, that is a good example there.

That 5K teacup medal for the virtual race this year is the cutest thing ever. But even if I were to do a virtual race, which I am not, I don't think I could show it off either. I would feel odd. But that is just me.

I know in some instances, husbands and wives both run the races, so they only keep one set of medals to commemorate the experience. They sell the second set to help fund more race weekends.

As for buying the medals, the first RunDisney race I did was Marathon Weekend. For a number of reasons, I ended up registering for the 10k, half marathon and marathon individually. As a result, even though I completed the Goofy Challenge I didn’t get the medal for it. So I bought a Goofy medal on eBay to commemorate what I actually achieved.

Some people sell them because they don't want the clutter and the accomplishment means more to them than the trinket.

In terms of buying ... I know a lot of collectors are interested in runDisney medals. For example, someone who collects all things Star Wars may want the Star Wars weekend medals not because they're race medals but because they're Star Wars-related.
Other people buy them because they lost their medal or for some reason no longer have it.

There are a lot of reasons people sell and buy medals, and I can say for myself that I certainly don't know all of them. But people have their reasons.

Some people sell them because they don't want the clutter and the accomplishment means more to them than the trinket.

In terms of buying ... I know a lot of collectors are interested in runDisney medals. For example, someone who collects all things Star Wars may want the Star Wars weekend medals not because they're race medals but because they're Star Wars-related.
Other people buy them because they lost their medal or for some reason no longer have it.

There are a lot of reasons people sell and buy medals, and I can say for myself that I certainly don't know all of them. But people have their reasons.
Ok, I had no clue. I will admit my first thought as to why was people buying them was to say they competed when they didn't. But maybe that is hardly ever the case. I was just really surprised for that to have come up when I was googling the designs. I seen several designs I thought were very cute and in good fashion, and then seen others that I did not care for what so ever for. That is very interesting about people collecting them though.

They sell the second set to help fund more race weekends.
That is a great idea. I know it is very expensive to do these especially if you have to travel down. And I also can sense how addicting they could be for some people.

I know in some instances, husbands and wives both run the races, so they only keep one set of medals to commemorate the experience. They sell the second set to help fund more race weekends.

As for buying the medals, the first RunDisney race I did was Marathon Weekend. For a number of reasons, I ended up registering for the 10k, half marathon and marathon individually. As a result, even though I completed the Goofy Challenge I didn’t get the medal for it. So I bought a Goofy medal on eBay to commemorate what I actually achieved.
Did it cost you more to register like that?

Did it cost you more to register like that?

It actually costs a little less to register for the races individually. They add $10-15 to the price of the challenges to cover the costs of the additional medal(s) and race shirt(s).

Ok, I had no clue. I will admit my first thought as to why was people buying them was to say they competed when they didn't. But maybe that is hardly ever the case. I was just really surprised for that to have come up when I was googling the designs. I seen several designs I thought were very cute and in good fashion, and then seen others that I did not care for what so ever for. That is very interesting about people collecting them though.

There is definitely some if that, probably the majority to be honest, but there are legitimate reasons someone might buy a replacement medal or additional for some reason.

Back to the medals, I have to admit I wish they would have left W&D Epcot themed instead of adding rotating characters. I loved the medal at first when it was Spaceship Earth themed.

I haven't done this yet but I have given some thought to selling a medal here and there, mostly because they often sell for close to $100 and that's more money for trips (or whatever). Also, as I look at my medal display right next to me.... I probably have too many and it wouldn't be the worst idea to sell a few to reduce clutter. We'll see.

Marathon since I've been following RD has been
Pluto 5K (except in 2019 it was Oswald)
Minnie 10K (2020 was Oswald and from the 2021 key art if the race happens in MIGHT be Chip & Dale)
Donald Half
Mickey (with Minnie in 2020) Full
--
With W&D in the years I've done it
2016: 5K Christmas Mickey and Minnie, 10K Remy, Half Chief Mickey, Challenge Lumiere, Kids Christmas Chip & Dale
2017: the 'theme' was trip around the world/epcot's 35th... the 5K, 10K, Half and Challenge were all Chief Mickey themed with medals that looked like Luggage Tags for the 10K/Half and a Passport for the Challenge....Kids Race was Figment
2018: 5K Chief Tony/Lady & The Tramp 10K Chief Louis/Sebastian Half Chief Mickey Challenge Lumiere Kids Race Remy
2019: 5K Baloo and King Louie 10K Olaf & Sven Half Patriotic Mickey Challenge Three Caballeros Kids Race Timon & Pumba
2020 was supposed to be Villain themed

There is definitely some if that, probably the majority to be honest

Eh, I doubt it. And even if so, anyone they show it off to likely knows that the person didn’t participate. (They were in town that weekend, etc) Or will know once they know them better.

Eh, I doubt it. And even if so, anyone they show it off to likely knows that the person didn’t participate. (They were in town that weekend, etc) Or will know once they know them better.

The number of people who bail as early as possible during the races to get in the parade bus and be taken to get a finisher medal leads me to believe someone buying medals for the half when the race they entered was the 5k happens more frequently than one might think.

The number of people who bail as early as possible during the races to get in the parade bus and be taken to get a finisher medal leads me to believe someone buying medals for the half when the race they entered was the 5k happens more frequently than one might think.
Wow, I didn’t realize there were people that would plan to get on the parade bus unless there were injuries, heat exhaustion, or any other reason why they just couldn’t or shouldn’t finish. I can’t imagine going through the stressful registration process, spending all the money, going to the expo to get at the very least the bib, getting up extremely early to start the race, all while planning to not finish.

I mean no disrespect to anyone that has gotten on the parade bus for any reason, it just surprises me to hear that.

That 5K teacup medal for the virtual race this year is the cutest thing ever. But even if I were to do a virtual race, which I am not, I don't think I could show it off either. I would feel odd. But that is just me.
I am not the athletic type, but I have done two series of virtual runs because I liked the medals. I do display them because I did the work. I wasn’t quick, but I went the distance. I can understand that some people who run longer or more prestigious races might not feel the medals for a virtual 5k are worth much. But they mean a lot to me and I am proud of the accomplishment.

W&D is going virtual but themes are:
5k Yzma/Kronk
10K Ursula
Half Evil Queen
Challenge Jack Skelington/Oogy Boogy
Kids: Hook/Smee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter