• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

There's got to be a better way

Sarabi's Cubs

DIS Veteran
Why is making ADRs so complicated? Examples: being online at 5:30 am (or maybe 5:45 or 5:54) with a dozen windows open and constantly refreshing, checking every available time slot for individual restaurants, changing the party size up and down, constant error messages, having multiple people trying at the same time from different MDE accounts, checking the app, and still, times show up randomly or not at all and some restaurants or experiences load at different times/dates than others? We are there at least once a year so if I don't get the coveted reservation, there's always next time, but this must seem absolutely bonkers to someone for whom it's a once in a blue moon or once in a lifetime trip. And don't get me started on the reservation finder services or holding multiple reservations at once to try to trade with someone on social media. Booked a few week's ago for a family member's trip and then this morning for my daughter's honeymoon and it seems worse than ever. I just don't get why it's such a hassle.

Have to say that I've made a lot of ADRs over the years, and I've not ever thought of the extremes you're referring to here! I'll be online at 5:30AM, one computer, one screen, and my list. Most times I'll get all or most of the choices we want. Sometimes we miss out because it's too popular. It's definitely different right now, though. Many of us are used to getting a jump on the process by being ready at 180 days - that probably eliminated a lot of people trying to grab slots. At 60 days, more people are ready! Along with some restaurants still not back to full staffing and/or capacity, or even some restaurants still closed, the seats are tougher to come by.

But you are absolutely correct - for someone doing a 'once in a lifetime' trip and unfamiliar with making reservations, the ADR process could be a nightmare.

I login in about 5 - 10 minutes before 6 and usually don't have any issues. I have an idea of what restaurants I want and will go for the hardest to get first, even if it is not on my first vacation day. Also, booking for large groups is always going to be an issue. I also always book at 5:30 PM instead of just trying for dinner. That is my preferred time to eat and the system will show you availability within two hours of this time.

This year is definitely the worst I have ever seen it. I'm sure a combination of decreased capacity, short staffing, several restaurants still closed, and the later booking window (60 vs 180) is creating the perfect storm where even seasoned Disney travelers are having trouble. And I have seen the crazy "Hunger Games" mentality that seems to be taking place on social media swap sites. It's not magical at all. 😬 Hopefully things change for the better soon.

Just be thankful you don't live on the west coast. Ugh that was fun.....
Yeah, I'm in Alaska, so I feel your pain. Waking up at 2:00 am to do reservations is the worst. You don't fall asleep well to begin with, knowing you have to get up soon...then after you spend an hour trying to get everything right, you're tempted to keep refreshing in case you miss something that someone else is "throwing back" and then you're so hopped up on adrenaline you can't go back to sleep. I did this one night to "practice" and see availability the day before my window. Then on my window, then a few days later for the Candlelight Packages (that never really showed up properly.) That was a horrible week! So glad we are on property and I didn't have to wake up every morning to book the next day's reservations. 🙃

This year is definitely the worst I have ever seen it. I'm sure a combination of decreased capacity, short staffing, several restaurants still closed, and the later booking window (60 vs 180) is creating the perfect storm where even seasoned Disney travelers are having trouble. And I have seen the crazy "Hunger Games" mentality that seems to be taking place on social media swap sites. It's not magical at all. 😬 Hopefully things change for the better soon.

You made me curious, so I just found and joined the social media group you speak of (I think) just to see what's going on.

You made me curious, so I just found and joined the social media group you speak of (I think) just to see what's going on.

And I cannot believe (yes I actually can) what is happening. Right there is one of the reasons why reservations are so hard to find. People are actually booking ADRs just to trade up, and there are people booking ADRs just to give away, because "I know how hard these reservations are to come by." You've got to be kidding me. Just stop, people. You're making this worse!

And I cannot believe (yes I actually can) what is happening. Right there is one of the reasons why reservations are so hard to find. People are actually booking ADRs just to trade up, and there are people booking ADRs just to give away, because "I know how hard these reservations are to come by." You've got to be kidding me. Just stop, people. You're making this worse!
100%. I'm part of the group and was very frustrated to see someone who booked ~10 Artist Point reservations to give away to people in the group on the morning they came available... and then got mad when people told her to stop. It's why I like the reservation cancellation board here more - any sort of trade-based system is going to cause unwanted behavior IMO.

I know it's not a super popular opinion, but I do wish Disney would give guests staying at a resort some priority when booking resort restaurants. I personally like a sit-down breakfast, but I don't want to traipse over to another hotel to enjoy it.

I agree that this holiday season seems to be particularly difficult when it comes to ADRs. I've never had issues booking everything we wanted at close to ideal times, but we are heading down for a fast weekend trip in 2 weeks and trying to get reservations has felt insane.

Yeah, people horde stuff they don't need to use as bargaining. 😳 And I'm sure there are legit people who are "trying to be nice" to help people in the group, but they wouldn't need "help" getting the reservations if the "helpful" people didn't grab them all. 🤦‍♀️ The other thing that bugs me is people posting pity stories and begging for reservations. How many of these people with "grandma has cancer and it's her last dying wish to go to CRT with the extended family of 22 people on Christmas Day" do you think are legit? 🤔 Not saying everyone on there is a scammer, but it's like they're trying to guilt people into giving up reservations. Then the constant shaming of people who have multiple reservations to cancel. It's not quite as bad as it was a few weeks ago. It was downright mean and dirty. 😬

Yeah, people horde stuff they don't need to use as bargaining. 😳 And I'm sure there are legit people who are "trying to be nice" to help people in the group, but they wouldn't need "help" getting the reservations if the "helpful" people didn't grab them all. 🤦‍♀️ The other thing that bugs me is people posting pity stories and begging for reservations. How many of these people with "grandma has cancer and it's her last dying wish to go to CRT with the extended family of 22 people on Christmas Day" do you think are legit? 🤔 Not saying everyone on there is a scammer, but it's like they're trying to guilt people into giving up reservations. Then the constant shaming of people who have multiple reservations to cancel. It's not quite as bad as it was a few weeks ago. It was downright mean and dirty. 😬

It didn't take long to stumble across a few pity posts, yes and with their entire extended family, searching for the impossible for an impossible number of people. Thanks for a new source of amusement when I'm bored.

sounds like a Howie's Angels situation again, that's what got us prepaid reservations.

I was thinking the same thing. If this group becomes a problem like Howie's Angels, Disney will find a way to shut it down, and most likely none of us would care for the solution, whatever that might be.

Howies Angel's? Giving away reservations? Ok I'm clueless, what is all this?

Basically Howie and a group of volunteers on his website would call up disney dining (waaay back when everyone had to call in for reservations - and i think you could only make them one day at a time, ie no +10) and reserve huge chunks of available slots at Cinderella’s Royal Table to help people trying to get an ADR. Cindy’s was SO hard to get back then - no lunch, and dinner wasn’t a character meal. Yadda yadda yadda word spread, people understandably mad, and now we have to prepay for CRT. I think that’s the gist of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter