They Let Anyone In these Clubs Now! An Aug. 2017 PTR * TR link! 8/17!*

Hi Ariane,

I am so glad I found your report, I am anxiously awaiting to hear your dates to see if we will be there the same time!
Club level with growing boys is perfect for you all.

I am here!!!!:banana: and ready to party!

Younger DS Christopher 11, lover of laziness and complaining, hater of flying. Says he'd love Disney so much more if we could drive there in under an hour rather than having to take a 2.5 hour flight there, which is SO unbearable.
Bahahaha your description of Chris! Bless him! 10 hour drive is my max. I couldn't imagine what yours would be...

If you're following my current dining report you'll also notice my bra is making another appearance in this picture;
:rotfl:

Alright, let's get this party started!!

First off, thank you all for joining me :goodvibes:goodvibes

Now, let's get down to the details, shall we?

I told you all WHO is going; how about we do WHY next? It's actually the next easiest "WH" for me to explain......

But, does anyone really need a WHY when talking about going to Disney??
I'll take a stab at it anyway-

WHY: I love taking our adults only trips, and Steve and I took 2 of them already this year. Now it's time to bring the boys! Steve is a very big vacation guy and so not going away over the summer is out of the question.

WHEN: The last 3 years we've gone late August and it's been great! Crowds are low since most of the country is back in school, and despite the heat we manage to have fun. In addition, some of you know Ricky plays basketball pretty much year round, and now plays for school. This came into play pretty heavily on our Nov. trip last year when I had to rearrange things fairly last minute to accommodate that. It all worked out in the end but it wasn't fun! Late August doesn't interfere with basketball, so all the more reason to stick with that time frame. This led us to pick 8/23-8/31, for a total of 8 nights in Disney!

WHERE: As I said in the introductions, Ricky still enjoys our Disney trips at 15. However the enjoyment tends to not come out so much until we arrive, and so we compromised a bit when coming up with where we'd stay in that we promised him we'd stay at a resort with a basketball court. This includes SSR, OKW, GF and AKV, where the court is technically at Kidani but between there and Jambo. Since we would be utilizing my awesome TA discount we picked
AKL CLUB LEVEL. Whoo! Club level food with 2 growing boys? Yes! Club level adult beverages with two.....adults? Yes, YES!!!

We also told Ricky we'd do Universal for a day since he's been wanting to go back since our visit in 2015, which would give me a chance to take the boys and Steve to see this:

I had gotten to see the show as part of my TA Universal training back in February and was so impressed! I know all three of my guys would love it. On an 8 night trip we'd have more than enough time to do what I wanted to at the parks and sneak in Uni for Ricky and this show for everyone.
To make the trip evening more exciting, our last day would be the first day of something we hadn't experienced since 2011:

I'll take one day! The icing on the cake was that word on the street when we planned all this pointed to a couple late August dates for my most favorite event in all of WDW:

Mmm, ok, in case that isn't clear it's MNSSHP!! The picture is from the last party we attended in 2014 so attending another party is long overdue. Dates were released, tickets were purchased, we'd be going on 8/29 :maleficen All that was left really was to make dining reservations since we were well withing our 180 days, and to book flights. I went ahead and made some random ADR's and we began stalking JetBlue flights; they looked good but Steve wasn't quite ready to commit.

It's a good thing we didn't book flights, because then something happened. Something that seems to want to keep biting me in the a%* when it comes to planning my family Disney trips.

SCHOOL SPORTS ANYONE?
Give me a second.....continued in next post :rolleyes1

y
Who, What, When, Where, continued.
Yup, school sports. Something I never, ever, ever participated in. I never even attended a sports function during high school, the same high school Ricky goes to FYI (my parents went there, too) because I was busy doing................other things :rolleyes1 So as I said, about a month ago this happened:

No no, Ricky didn't get signed by the Jets. I chose a picture of the Jets because that was my Dad's favorite team. Ricky announced he was going to play school football next year. And by next year he means:

So like, all summer.

Once the school basketball season ended in late Feb. the off season started, which entailed the basketball teams working out 3x a week with the football team. Then in late April, the football team began doing their own extra workouts on the other 2 days and the football coach talked to Ricky about joining them. At first Ricky had no interest but between talking to the coach and his friends that played football this past year, well, you get the idea. And if you look closely at the schedule above you'll see that our August dates no longer worked. Just like our original Nov. dates last year :mad:

Now some of you are probably going "so? What's the big deal? So he misses a few days of practice??" While those of you who either played school sports or have children who play/played are sha king your heads in sympathetic understanding. One doesn't simply miss high school sports practices, or one ends up on the bench. Ricky technically doesn't have play time since he hasn't played football yet, but with our original dates he'd miss SEVEN full blown practices. NO GOOD. As a first year played coming in as a sophomore, even thought the coach wants him to play, that's not really acceptable.

NOW let me tell you how unhappy Steve and I were, because if you think you have an idea of what I was doing in high school while not attending sporting events make that 10x worse and that's what Steve was doing. He is not a sports lover at all; I've come to enjoy basketball since both boys have been playing since 1st grade, but that's the only sport I can tolerate. Because Ricky is so good at basketball and loves it so much, I really don't mind tweaking our schedules from Oct-March around it. Steve on the other hand is used to it now but does not like it at all, and that's why when Ricky announced his plans Steve said no way were we changing our trip.

Originally Ricky was fine with that as he does appreciate all we do for him around basketball, and he knows as a newbie he's got a 50-50 chance at actually playing. Unfortunately as usually happens, the mom guilt started getting to me. What if he's really good at football but they penalize him for missing practices and barely play him? What if the other players, with whom he gets along so well, hold it against him that he's taking so many days off for vacation his first year in?? These weren't even going to be those Summer Workouts he'd be missing but the practices in bold letters on the memo. This would haunt me until our vacation was complete unless we did something.

Let me get to the point since this update is so wordy: after going back and forth with Steve we have, regrettably but not regrettably, moved our trip. I'm sad for a few reasons yet still happy because the outcome is that we're still going. Steve is, well, we'll use the word sad lol. I had to make a list of the things that made me sad about changing and the things that made me still happy:

Why It Sucks That We Changed Our Trip Dates
1. Crowds will be higher
2. We won't be there at all for Food and Wine
3. I was looking forward to possible Dismeets with @MeghanEmily, @disneyAndi14, @heathsf and @suse66, none of which will happen now I'm pretty sure.
3. What is really upsetting is that we won't be attending MNSSHP, AGAIN this year.
4. We will not be staying for 8 nights
5. We most likely won't be seeing Blue Man Group

Why It's Cool That We Changed Our Trip Dates
1. Ricky will now only miss 3 days of workouts as opposed to 7 days of actual practices
2. Well, we're still going!
3. A tad cheaper, maybe, as we're dropping a night and staying for 7.
4. I will hopefully still get to meet up again with @ChunkyMonkey!!
5. Because she knew our August dates had changed, @MeghanEmily went out of her way to meet Steve and I earlier this month :love:
6. We are STILL staying Club Level as long as we don't get kicked out!
7. And probably the coolest reason of them all, is that rather than staying at AKL we will now be club level at my favorite resort.....

And that's a very bad personal picture of my favorite resort, Wilderness Lodge!!! It will be mine and Steve's 3rd time staying there and the boys first. I'm excited for them to stay there and I'm really excited for all of us to try club level. There isn't any basketball court there but when we changed our dates we also told Ricky the caveat was that we'd stay where we wanted/what the best choice was with my TA rate, and that we'd be dropping the Universal day since flights and resort rates were higher for the new dates. He was fine with that and happy he wouldn't be missing practice. So what you've all been waiting for, our revised details:

WHERE: Wilderness Lodge, Club Level :banana:
WHEN: 8/7-8/12

Oh! I almost forgot! See how we're checking in to WL on the 7th? We're actually going down on the 5th. However due to availability we need to find somewhere else to stay our first 2 nights so that's on the agenda for one of these weeks lol.
I would have loved to do another day/night but once again - you guessed it. For basketball Ricky has to work at a camp the high school offers that's run by the varsity coach and that is the week ending 8/4. Then of course football PRACTICE starts the 14th, and the difference in flight prices between the 12th and 13th were like, $800 for all 4 of us.

Steve is happier to be at WL than he was to be staying at AKL, although if he had it his way we'd be here or near here:

as the Epcot area resorts are truly his favorite. If availability with my rate happens to open up for our dates at Yacht or Beach, we may be on the move again since our two adults only trips were my pick as far as resort!

Whew! If you made it through all that I guess I should give you my thanks once more! I promise to try not to make more crazy wordy updates now that I have the jist of this trip all out in the open.

Remember how I also made some random ADR's for our original trip dates? Yeah, those went out the window. Next I need to work on those and also figure out what to do with those pesky MNSSHP tickets...................

I'll be following along! I jumped over here your last trip report where I was lurking :P Excited to follow along
:welcome: Thank you for reading my other TR and I'm so glad you've come over here!!

Hi :wave: I've read several of your trip reports. Joining in on this one too.
Of course I remember you :goodvibes Thanks for joining me on this ever changing trip planning extravaganza as well!

Hey hey! Looking forward to details. :)
What up Kelley!! I'm getting started with this planning and you should be on your way shortly!

I am so glad I found your report,
Me too :hug:

I am anxiously awaiting to hear your dates to see if we will be there the same time!
(sigh), and as I'm sure you've now read, I don't think it's going to happen this time around :( As silly as it sounds since all the Dis friends I hoped to meet I haven't actually met yet, it honestly did really bother me that the meets now wouldn't happen.

Club level with growing boys is perfect for you all.
Exactly what we were thinking! Ricky eats like, constantly. And often on our trips they get hungry if we stop back at the resort for a short break before heading out to dinner. Plus I think it'll work great for breakfast for all of us.

I am here!!!!:banana: and ready to party!
I meant to tell you I started this but you're always so busy and I didn't want to lay on any guilt :o

Bahahaha your description of Chris! Bless him!
LMAO perfect, right :rotfl:

10 hour drive is my max. I couldn't imagine what yours would be...
Try TWENTY FOUR :faint: I'll take your ten any day!

Talk about a cliff-hanger!!!!!
It's like I'm an author and should get paid for this :laughing:

I knew where this was going, but it was still a little painful to read it. :( Silly sports!! Lucky that Ricky has awesome parents who support him. This is why I should never have kids, because I'd be leaving Ricky home to play with his football! ...kidding! ...mostly. :P

But yay for WL!! (Unless things change and Steve gets his way on this one...) And how exciting that you'll get to share it with your boys for the first time!!

Also, your MNSSHP picture was adorable. I love your outfit, and the boys look sooo much younger in it!

Ever sad about our lost Dismeet, (but thankfully we had the pleasure of meeting anyway,) but so pleased you've been able to work it out to have a trip that will work so [mostly] well for everyone. It's Disney and it's vacation with your people, so you really can't go wrong. <3

Oh my we would have been at the same MNSSHP!! Bummer! I do understand the sport commitments, my son Jack played football all through school and we would never have been able to go during football practice. Lucky for me, Andi does some recreational skiing but not any organized sports lol!

I am excited for you and the family because the trip is still on and still Club level! I enjoy your writing style, really keeps me entertained! Waiting for more.

I've been itching to start this PTR for weeks now and I'm finally doing it!

:banana:

My wonderful DH Steve, who fell in love with Disney and has been known to suggest our adults only trips with no prodding from me!

I can't wait for my DH to start doing that! :lmao:

If you're following my current dining report you'll also notice my bra is making another appearance in this picture; she just refuses to be contained!

:rotfl:

3. I was looking forward to possible Dismeets with @MeghanEmily, @disneyAndi14, @heathsf and @suse66, none of which will happen now I'm pretty sure.

Awwww maaaaaan! I'm disappointed but I totally understand why you had to move the trip. I'm glad you still get to go and everyone's happy with the compromise. I can't wait to hear how you like CL!

QUOTE="ariane37, post: 57673512, member: 445750"]3. I was looking forward to possible Dismeets, none of which will happen now I'm pretty sure.[/QUOTE]

Wah!! So sad but completely understand. The things we do for our children! We will meet up, one trip, one day!

And if you look closely at the schedule above you'll see that our August dates no longer worked. Just like our original Nov. dates last year :mad:
Are you sure he isn't just trying to sabotage your plans?

And that's a very bad personal picture of my favorite resort, Wilderness Lodge!!!
YEAH!!!

Man, those sports are really making you work for your Disney Trips!

Man...what a ride you have taken us all on already! I'm so glad my boys are still young and don't play sports (yet). I was so excited for you for MNSSHP and F&W. But like you said, the most important part is you are ALL still going and ALL at the exact same time. And WL! If that still works out. And it is sooner so I'll get to read the trip report sooner! Which will be helpful as I'll be deep in the throws of Disney depression at that point.

OMG! I am praying my kids don't do sports for this exact reason - it's such a time eater! I'm really glad you made it work though and you are an awesome mom for being so diligent in working around it since you know it's important to Ricky. And even though you're dropping a day, you're also dropping Universal so it's the same amount of time at WDW. Bummer about F&W and MNSSHP, though. I am already making reallllllly early plans to try to get to WDW for my first Halloween party in 2019 because they look amazing, so that one would really hurt me. However, I love that you get to try club level at WL. That's exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing where you land for the first part of your trip. You might have noticed I'm a fan of split stays. ;)

Great start!

LOL, I'm glad you told me this is you, the country's #1 Hanson fan! When someone friends me on FB now I assume they "know" me either from the Dis or one of the local groups I post my TA info. on. So when I saw where you live I figured, "The Dis" :goodvibes

Haha, we just happened to become FB friends when there was a lot of Hanson stuff going on! Don't worry, I usually only post pictures of my kids :thumbsup2

This led us to pick 8/23-8/31, for a total of 8 nights in Disney!

I was going to say we will be there 2 days after you leave! But then I saw the rest of the update...

No no, Ricky didn't get signed by the Jets.

This seriously made me lol :rotfl2:

Well, sorry you had to change those original dates, but glad you are still getting to take the trip! Wilderness Lodge is one of our favorites as well! We are really itching to get back there after all of the renovations that have been done the last couple of years.

It's always sad when you need to make changes to your trip but at least you still have one to look forward to.

My daughter was a cheerleader for six years. I know all about not missing practices. You just have to schedule around it. Not always fun but part of "team" sports.

Yea on Wilderness Lodge. I've always wanted to stay there at Christmas time. Maybe one day.

Wow I felt like I was reading your November PTR :sad2: You have so much patience and you're right about sports if you miss one practice they have a fit. I'm glad you were able to make things work. How wonderful you get to stay club level at the WL.
I love your pic of you and the boys. I'd love to attend MNSSHP again but Kathy's college is getting in the way.

Last edited:
You're such a good Momma, I'd probably be telling my kid to enjoy their time home alone, because I was going to Disney! Haha, I'm only kind of kidding...

I didn't play any sports in high school, I don't have an athletic bone in my body. I was involved in pretty much everything else that was offered though - drama, band, choir, student council, Girl Guides (I was pretty cool...). Now I just love being home, and am not involved in anything haha.

Yay for another stay at the Wilderness Lodge! I know how much you love it there :)

One day, I will make it to one of the Christmas parties - maybe it'll be at the same time you finally get back to one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter