This doesn't happen at Disney World!

robvia said:
I've said this many times before. When Disney people try Universal for the first time, and they don't stay on site, then they give it an average review, and that's exactly what we have here.

I'm guessing the OP stays onsite at Disney, probably at the value resorts (All Star Music, Movies, Sports). So you end up getting the bus rides to the parks, and the food courts and pools at the hotels. When you stay off site, the pool is "just a pool" and you don't have any food courts.

The only way to really experience Universal is to pay the extra money and stay onsite for at least 2 nights. It's best to do this at the end of your trip, because once you try FOTL, you'll be spoiled.

I don't think the food vouchers really ruined the trip. I think the offsite hotel did because it's "just a hotel" and there was no magic. The onsite resorts at Universal are compare to Deluxe hotels at Disney. So save up, pay the extra money, and enjoy the visit. Think of it as a splurge.

Well, I have to disagree. This past summer we stayed at the Boardwalk at Disney -(which is DVC and definately DELUXe)-. we were at DIsney for 9 nights and then we stayed at Royal Pacific for three nights. We thought the hotel (RPR)was dirty,there was paint chipping on the walls in every hallway, poor customer service, awful restaurants and more. So, we did stay onsite at both and spent a lot of money at both accomadations and we felt RPR was really of lesser quality all the way around. :confused3

Wow, I'm glad I stumbled on this thread! I'm debating a New Years trip to Disney and started thinking... US is about 1/2 the price, even staying in one of their hotels... I'll stick the Poly! Thanks!

posted this on disney world trip board - well it seems that medic1895 posted his universal report here - actually this thread and has not been heard from since.

Everything in this report is true. Can medic say the same thing? Maybe you should read the first post in this thread first.

There is more magic at Universal Studios than at Disney

I think DW fell in love with me again when I said that at Animal Kingdom Lodge. As Universal Studios lovers, we knew we would likely never leave USF to go to WDW, but we figure that we would give it one more try so we planned a special weekend trip. Actually expensive hotel as compared to the Hard Rock but low Delta airfare.

Arrived at Orlando Friday afternoon, got the car, and drove to Animal Kingdom Lodge - nice hotel but just not Hard Rock Hotel. We then drove to City Walk to see show at Hard Rock Live. Realized that we should have stayed at Universal but alas it’s too late.

Two days of parks – day one Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. Routine rides, plenty of fun, but just not the ambiance at USF. What was most crazy is that Disney doesn’t even have front of line proveledges for on site guests and those fast-pass kiosks empty very quickly. That would never happen at Universal Studios! Actually liked Animal Kingdom but went thru it in about three hours and Magic Kingdom had no magic. It was been there done this before. I could sing the songs because I have heard them for 30 years.

Day two it rained – a lot. We got soaked to the skin. Had to walk across all of EPCOT because you cant get bus at International Gateway (or so they said). Then waited 30 minutes for bus to arrive. That's it, I blow and yell out 'This doesn't happen at Universal Studios.' I know it might, but its never happened to us.

Rest of the trip was fine, We really were not impressed with Animal Kingdom Lodge. The Hotel was very expensive. But, we kept looking northeast. Its not too far is it? DW and I drop hints then finally just say, want to go get dinner at Emeril’s? Our eyes light up! And breakfast at Hard Rock Kitchen before we fly home YES!

So we caved, and saved the vacation. When we made the reservations and the CM didn’t say “Have a magical day” we knew we were home.

Back to HRH (where we belong) in 3 weeks. (actually now 2 1/2 weeks)

Lady V said:
Well, I have to disagree. This past summer we stayed at the Boardwalk at Disney -(which is DVC and definately DELUXe)-. we were at DIsney for 9 nights and then we stayed at Royal Pacific for three nights. We thought the hotel (RPR)was dirty,there was paint chipping on the walls in every hallway, poor customer service, awful restaurants and more. So, we did stay onsite at both and spent a lot of money at both accomadations and we felt RPR was really of lesser quality all the way around. :confused3
You do realize you're comparing a Disney deluxe to Universal's cheapest, right?

Lady V said:

I think alot has to do with the room you are given. I stayed at The Boardwalk Inn 12/05 and the 1st room I was given the toilet didn't work. Then they moved me to a room that had black mold on the ceiling and I spent the night listening to a man in the next room snoring all night.I tried to change resorts the next day but every WDW resort was booked. They moved me to a deluxe room at no charge and I still preferred my 2 stays at RPR alot more. I also spent 2 nights at the Poly for the 1st time in 2005 and really loved it and I was really worried that I would be dissapointed in RPR but I was wrong,it was beautiful and half the price of the Poly. I am a Loews gold member and I could have upgraded to a suite for $35.00 more a night (still alot cheaper than the Poly) but after seeing the room I didn't think it was neessary .Sometimes the 1st room you are given may not meet your expectations but it may be worth a try to ask for a different room that you may enjoy more. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter