This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

"Wiegand's family has sued the cruise ship company, accusing it of negligence by allowing the window in the ship's children's play area to be open."

Once again, they accept the parents' lawyers wording that it was a children's play area. Making it sound like the child could have just stumbled out of the window on her own.

If you’ll notice, the statement says the guilty plea spared him jail time AND stipulated no admission of facts. This is pivotal in the civil suit moving forward and means RCCL basically still has to prove themselves innocent. :sad2:

He still has the burden of proof. I don't see how 12 people who have viewed the footage will ever find against RC.

If you’ll notice, the statement says the guilty plea spared him jail time AND stipulated no admission of facts. This is pivotal in the civil suit moving forward and means RCCL basically still has to prove themselves innocent. :sad2:
I don't think the grandfather and the family have admitted the facts to themselves or anyone else since day one. And the lawyer isn't helping. It makes no sense to plead guilty, but still place all the blame and responsibility on RCCL.

YES, RCCL must still as of now continue full steam ahead with defense but I believe the family should end it once and for all by dropping the suit. As far as Anello, it's a cop out plea.

At least the fact is that he has now said he is guilty of negligence in the death of that child. That should be part of RC's defense in the civil case. Even if, as reported, no admission of facts supporting that guilty admission. I do hope the civil judge does not allow the case to go on much longer. I am hoping once the case is over, and they get nothing, the family has a time to privately grieve with knowing a family member was responsible for the child's accidental death.

"Wiegand's family has sued the cruise ship company, accusing it of negligence by allowing the window in the ship's children's play area to be open."

Once again, they accept the parents' lawyers wording that it was a children's play area. Making it sound like the child could have just stumbled out of the window on her own.
If that is from a Daily Mail article, disregard it. The DM is garbage and isn't worth the click.

I do agree with prior posters that they have to continue with the civil suit in order to not have to pay what would be very expensive legal fees. The lawyer is hoping the cruise line will settle.

RCCL will defend itself but the burden still remains with the family attempting to prove negligence by the ship.

Here's an article about the latest update:
...Anello's attorney released a statement, saying, "This decision was an incredibly difficult one for Sam and the family, but because the plea agreement includes no jail time and no admission of facts, it was decided the plea deal is in the best interests of the family so that they can close this horrible chapter and turn their focus to mourning Chloe and fighting for cruise passenger safety by raising awareness about the need for all common carriers to adhere to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children from falling from windows."...
I don't think the grandfather and the family have admitted the facts to themselves or anyone else since day one. And the lawyer isn't helping. It makes no sense to plead guilty, but still place all the blame and responsibility on RCCL.
:sad1: Impossible to know what they really accept in their own hearts and minds but publicly they have persisted in the fictional account that was immediately asserted by the lawyer. Their precious child did NOT fall out of the window - she was dropped out of it by her Grandfather.

RCCL will defend itself but the burden still remains with the family attempting to prove negligence by the ship.
Of course that’s true; my statement was somewhat rhetorical. In the “court of public opinion” though, as we have seen here in this thread, it’s extremely easy for compassion towards the parents to hold sway over logic and also a very common assumption that a big corporation is inherently evil.

Here's an article about the latest update:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7news.com/amp/5967597
Anello's attorney released a statement, saying, "This decision was an incredibly difficult one for Sam and the family, but because the plea agreement includes no jail time and no admission of facts, it was decided the plea deal is in the best interests of the family so that they can close this horrible chapter and turn their focus to mourning Chloe and fighting for cruise passenger safety by raising awareness about the need for all common carriers to adhere to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children from falling from windows."

Wiegand's family has sued the cruise ship company, accusing it of negligence by allowing the window in the ship's children's play area to be open."

Don’t pick children up and dangle them out open windows that are well over their heads....problem solved.

This is from NBC News website:

The grandfather of the 18-month-old girl who fell to her death from an open window on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship in San Juan, Puerto Rico, will plead guilty in her death, a family attorney said Tuesday.
Salvatore Anello, also known as Sam, initially pleaded not guilty to a negligent homicide charge from Puerto Rican authorities in Octoberin the death of Chloe Wiegand in July.

Michael Winkleman, the attorney for the Wiegand family, told NBC News on Tuesday that Anello filed paperwork to change his plea in return for an agreement that included no jail time. Anello, who lives in South Bend, Indiana, will be able to serve his probation in Indiana, according to Winkleman.

Winkleman said the deal "is in the best interests of the family so that they can close this horrible chapter and turn their focus to mourning Chloe." A hearing date for the change of plea has yet to be determined.

The Wiegand family filed a federal civil action in December against Royal Caribbean Cruises, alleging that the company was at fault for the accident. A judge approved the suit this month after Royal Caribbean sought to block it.

Hmmmm, interesting. Best interest of the family so they can close this chapter? :scratchin Uh . . . NOPE! You need to end the civil suit to do that. :sad2:

And add to the fact he does not have to give any admission to facts . . . ugh! Very frustrating.

I just wish he would accept responsibility. Just admit you made a horrible and tragic mistake. My sympathy for their situation is still there, but they really make it challenging for me at times.

He took this plea deal because his lawyer probably told him they had NO chance of winning. He knows that any reasonable person would not agree that the cruise line bears ANY responsibility here. Criminal defense lawyers aren't in it for the money usually. They are trying to secure the best outcome for their client. I'm sure this lawyer would similarly advise the family to drop their case, but he is not their lawyer.

This is from NBC News website:

The grandfather of the 18-month-old girl who fell to her death from an open window on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship in San Juan, Puerto Rico, will plead guilty in her death, a family attorney said Tuesday.
Salvatore Anello, also known as Sam, initially pleaded not guilty to a negligent homicide charge from Puerto Rican authorities in Octoberin the death of Chloe Wiegand in July.

Michael Winkleman, the attorney for the Wiegand family, told NBC News on Tuesday that Anello filed paperwork to change his plea in return for an agreement that included no jail time. Anello, who lives in South Bend, Indiana, will be able to serve his probation in Indiana, according to Winkleman.

Winkleman said the deal "is in the best interests of the family so that they can close this horrible chapter and turn their focus to mourning Chloe." A hearing date for the change of plea has yet to be determined.

The Wiegand family filed a federal civil action in December against Royal Caribbean Cruises, alleging that the company was at fault for the accident. A judge approved the suit this month after Royal Caribbean sought to block it.

Hmmmm, interesting. Best interest of the family so they can close this chapter? :scratchin Uh . . . NOPE! You need to end the civil suit to do that. :sad2:

And add to the fact he does not have to give any admission to facts . . . ugh! Very frustrating.

I just wish he would accept responsibility. Just admit you made a horrible and tragic mistake. My sympathy for their situation is still there, but they really make it challenging for me at times.
I remember a quote in one article where Chloe's mom said something like "They need to drop the criminal charges so we can mourn." Of course, continuing the civil suit also "helps them mourn". :sad2: (Note: she didn't say that, but that was my thought).

I don't think it's possible to plead guilty and not take responsibility. There's an Alvord plea, where you can say you're not guilty, but you admit that there's enough evidence to convict you. But when you plead guilty, you have to stand up in court and say what you did, in front of a judge. Since this just happened yesterday, it may be that the grandfather (in his elderly state, ha ha) hasn't fully grasped what will be required of him at allocution.

That said, I'm fine with him getting probation and being able to serve it in Indiana. He's serving a life sentence in his own head, no need to pile on.

Sam Gordon, she did say, not only to mourn but was quoted as saying" and fighting for cruise passenger safety by raising awareness about the need for all common carriers to adhere to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children from falling from windows." So, they are still going forward with the civil suit, as not to enrich them, but for safety reasons. Yeah, right. And as stated above, don't hold or dangle kids out a window, particularly one that is high up. And from some of the video I have seen, there is a warning to not stand on the handrail. How much warning must be given? The fact that no adult or kid had previously fallen out of such windows, that are found on many, many ships, is enough to say, was an accident not waiting to happen, but for poor judgement enough to be criminally negligent. Hence, I assume why the grandfather decided to plead guilty. And he's lucky the prosecution was willing to not ask for jail time.

Sam Gordon, she did say, not only to mourn but was quoted as saying" and fighting for cruise passenger safety by raising awareness about the need for all common carriers to adhere to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children from falling from windows." So, they are still going forward with the civil suit, as not to enrich them, but for safety reasons. Yeah, right. And as stated above, don't hold or dangle kids out a window, particularly one that is high up. And from some of the video I have seen, there is a warning to not stand on the handrail. How much warning must be given? The fact that no adult or kid had previously fallen out of such windows, that are found on many, many ships, is enough to say, was an accident not waiting to happen, but for poor judgement enough to be criminally negligent. Hence, I assume why the grandfather decided to plead guilty. And he's lucky the prosecution was willing to not ask for jail time.
Go back and read my post. In an earlier interview, she said the prosecution in the criminal case should drop the charges and let the family mourn. She didn't explain how that would help the family, but continuing the civil suit is ok. My point is it's not just the lawyer saying that, it's the family. And yes, there's a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter