Those who trade pins...

MagicalMomAZ

DIS Veteran
At what point is the lanyard too heavy? :)

I was checking out pin lots on Ebay to get DD a headstart & I started thinking after 10 or so it's going to be heavy around an 8 yo'd neck!!! ;)

How many are recommended to bring along for trading?

I used to wear a lanyard with 8-10 pins and my AP pin fell off and was lost one time so I don't wear the pins anymore. It does get heavy with that many on it.

I wore a lanyard for one day at WDW and that was it for me. I had such neck pain the next day. I just carry my pins in a bag now. That's what I did two weeks ago when I was in DL.

For an 8 year old I would probably keep it to 6-8 pins depending on their size. As another poster said, it's easy to lose pins. I'll often carry my lanyard in my back pack and pull it out when I'm looking to trade.

My 3 year old's can hold about 8 without her complaining, and I have about 9-10 on 5 year old's at any given time and she is fine with it. But they don't wear it all day long, either the mornings or the evenings. If we leave for a break/change, it usually does not come back with us!

Andrea

My DD got a great purse/pin holder. It's the size of a small purse and she can wear it over 1 shoulder. We bought the metal backs so she could put a couple of her favorite "nontradable" pins on the front. She could carry a lot more than she could on a lanyard.

slp87 said:
My DD got a great purse/pin holder. It's the size of a small purse and she can wear it over 1 shoulder. We bought the metal backs so she could put a couple of her favorite "nontradable" pins on the front. She could carry a lot more than she could on a lanyard.

just wondering where you bought the metal backings?

We love pin trading! My boys, 11 & 6, usually have around 10 on their lanyards. They don't wear them all day though. I put them in a ziplock bag and carry them in my backpack and when they see someone they want to trade with, they pull them out. That way they don't get tired of wearing the lanyard and they don't lose any pins.

We actually got them at Epcot at the pin station there. I'm sure that you could find them at one of the bigger pin stores or the Emporium, although I never looked for them at DL.

When I trade pins in the park I wear 1 or 2 lanyards of pins with the metal lock backing (so my fav. pins won't fall off or get lost). I try to keep the large pins on the bottom of the lanyard and place the smaller sized ones towards the top. This way it doesn't hurt my neck. Also if your lanyard comes with a medallion on the bottom, I suggest removing it to lessen the burden/weight on your neck. I keep a few pins that I want to trade in a small clear plastic bag. I also carry a messenger bag with me for all the roomy pockets. This way if I want to trade with a CM, I can pull out the pins easily. :goodvibes

P.S. The metal backings for the pins can be found at most pin carts (such as Main St. in DL) or at the pin store in Downtown Disney. They should also sell them in the stores in the parks. I believe it's $6 for 1 small bag but I don't remember.

My son wears 10-12 normally and he is 8. He wears it ALL day too, LOL, he loves trading and tracking down the cast members.

I have had issues with him losing pins, and we did try the Disney metal locking backs, they are HORRIBLE. You have to use a teeny hex key to get them off, it's really difficult and a slow process. they also were very expensive. 7.00 for only 10 backs.

Instead, I bought these cool backs on ebay, they pop right off when you remove them, but grip super tight when being worn.
Do a search on ebay for locking pin backs, female friendly. Or, search for item 320023309738. I am not the seller, but I LOVE the product, my son hasn't lost any pins since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter