Thoughts on food bank donations

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Just saw an article on struggling families and in addition to my heavier than normal tipping since 2020 (even gas station person gets a tip) I think I'll resume food bank donations to push money into the community, since I'm in a new area I'm wondering where to go?

I always donated food items to local Churches since they seem to spread it around to families and the main city ones always seem better supported and less in need, but then there are also back pack programs too for kids so I know 100% it's going to young families. Thoughts and experiences from anyone are welcome as I decide....

I used to volunteer on the board of a food pantry. First, thank you for donating! Second, around here, they are very good about networking with each other, so if one's got extra of one thing and another of something else, they're well set up to trade. - You can drop off your donations at whichever is most convenient for you, and they will get where they are needed.

There may even be drop boxes right at local grocery stores, and I think the big postal drive is this coming weekend as well. (In some areas, you can leave a bag of donations by your mailbox, and they will pick them up.)

Also, you mentioned you are new to the area? Volunteering is a great way to meet people, so if you are interested in helping out, don't be shy to ask if they need people as well as food!

Thanks! I will keep looking as you suggest, I emailed a local Abbey with outdoor services to see what's going on in the area but maybe I'll also call a local school to see if they know of any programs for kids where they bring home food from school like our district had back in PA, I was so much more in touch when I was in the PTA & feel the disconnect.

I'm a bit skeptical right now. I haven't really gone to food banks per se, but I did take advantage when my child's school district was providing food boxes for children in the district - supposedly one per child living in the district regardless of whether or not they were enrolled in a public, charter, or private school. I never asked for more than one, although once there was a special distribution at the district office where it was fine for anyone who had already done so at the local distributions.

However, they didn't seem to require any proof, although I inquired about it (after someone in the district called to get info they need to get state/federal funding for it) and found out my child's district student ID# just in case. There were long lines waiting, although one could just park and walk it back to a vehicle to avoid the long lines. I saw some people in line who looked too old to be parents, and they never asked anything other than how many children. I saw some obtain up to a dozen boxes. Not sure if they claimed they actually had 12 kids or were obtaining these for other families who couldn't make it during distribution times.

But this was often really good stuff including some really expensive foods that may have been donated. And when I was in line I might have mentioned that I thought that quite a few weren't actually eligible or were overstating the number of children in the district, and one of the volunteers said that people had to eat and they didn't check. The district does have more info on going to local food banks. But the kicker is persistent rumors that some people aren't eligible and are simply reselling what they can where a lot of this stuff is sold at corner markets or even resold on the street. Obviously it feels a little bit shady with possible abuses.

OP, I'd ask your neighbors. We live in a rural community and there is 1 major central nonprofit outreach facility. It houses free/reduced medical and dental care, as well as a foodbank, and clothes closet. The recipients fill out paperwork to qualify. Everyone entering the facility is given their own paperwork documenting eligibility. I used to volunteer and can tell you there was no scamming. All our recipients qualified for food stamps/EBT, so this was supplementary food and items like personal hygiene, diapers, etc.

Where I live, our county has a central food bank that organizations will work with to coordinate food assistance as well as other services. Often these are coordinated through a network of local churches. Two local universities (perhaps more) food pantry's also work through the county food bank to purchase and receive goods. While some individuals may try to work the system, they do have to apply for services and are tracked for the services that they receive. For example, my husbands office oversees the campus food pantry at our university. They have to submit monthly reports pertaining to the number of unique visits, repeat customers, total people served, etc.

If opting to donate financially, then the food bank is a good place as they can purchase more goods at a better price than you can get through donating $20 worth of product. If you are looking to supplement a local cupboard then consider inquiring about what they receive requests for but do not get with the food allotments. Is it clothing, diapers (adult and youth), holiday specific items, specific foods.

Great suggestions so far. I also recommend asking your neighbors if they're aware of any local programs - or maybe a church that hosts a pantry. Also, contact your local county commissioners to see if they're aware of any programs. Our local county commissions are very involved in various church programs (food pantries, community dinners, etc.). You can also call your local school Board office to see if they are aware of any food donation programs.

Locally, we have an "End 68 hours of hunger" program, which provides food to school district families in need for the weekend. We also have a county Harvest for Hunger program and county food banks. We mostly donate cash to these groups. This Saturday, our postal service is sponsoring their annual food collection where you leave a bag of non-persishables at your front door and the local boy scout troops come along to collect the bags. All food collected stays local and it is the largest food collection of the year for our local food pantries.

The only place I found that has an online list is the college food pantry. I had never thought about college kids struggling until I saw some ads from the schools when my kids were away, there were outreach ads telling students where to find help. It must be tough for families to give to their kids while they are dealing with price jumps at home. Kids away in college really run up a tab since you need another of everything because distance makes sharing impossible... maybe this is the way? I'm still looking, with the way things are for families right now I feel like I need to help in some way but I am soooooo skeptical of giving money, I generally prefer handing people money or help myself then trusting other people to do the right thing.

I'm a bit skeptical right now. I haven't really gone to food banks per se, but I did take advantage when my child's school district was providing food boxes for children in the district - supposedly one per child living in the district regardless of whether or not they were enrolled in a public, charter, or private school. I never asked for more than one, although once there was a special distribution at the district office where it was fine for anyone who had already done so at the local distributions.

However, they didn't seem to require any proof, although I inquired about it (after someone in the district called to get info they need to get state/federal funding for it) and found out my child's district student ID# just in case. There were long lines waiting, although one could just park and walk it back to a vehicle to avoid the long lines. I saw some people in line who looked too old to be parents, and they never asked anything other than how many children. I saw some obtain up to a dozen boxes. Not sure if they claimed they actually had 12 kids or were obtaining these for other families who couldn't make it during distribution times.

But this was often really good stuff including some really expensive foods that may have been donated. And when I was in line I might have mentioned that I thought that quite a few weren't actually eligible or were overstating the number of children in the district, and one of the volunteers said that people had to eat and they didn't check. The district does have more info on going to local food banks. But the kicker is persistent rumors that some people aren't eligible and are simply reselling what they can where a lot of this stuff is sold at corner markets or even resold on the street. Obviously it feels a little bit shady with possible abuses.
I volunteered for st. Vincent DePaul. We would pick up multiple boxes to distribute to multiple families

Just saw an article on struggling families and in addition to my heavier than normal tipping since 2020 (even gas station person gets a tip) I think I'll resume food bank donations to push money into the community, since I'm in a new area I'm wondering where to go?

I always donated food items to local Churches since they seem to spread it around to families and the main city ones always seem better supported and less in need, but then there are also back pack programs too for kids so I know 100% it's going to young families. Thoughts and experiences from anyone are welcome as I decide....
Check with your local shelters and libraries as they often see the areas where the need is greatest and also work with broader population bases. I know that working in a library we've partnered with groups that usually can tell us down to the neighborhood where the need is greatest and what orgs are doing the best outreach to the those populations. It's often not the ones that get the most press or have largest operating budgets.

I volunteered for st. Vincent DePaul. We would pick up multiple boxes to distribute to multiple families

I get that, but what I was seeing was individual pickups where nobody is assigned by the distributor to help with transportation of the boxes.

However, this apparently goes way back. The big thing is organized groups that get a jump on obtaining them and then getting multiple boxes from different pantries.

Enicia Montalvo, who runs the Salvation Army’s food pantry on Valencia Street, said it’s no secret that people are abusing the system. Other pantries in the Mission area concur, including La Dispensia at St. Anthony’s Church and the food pantry at Mission Presbyterian Church. All say they have seen a group of people who they suspect of reselling food visiting their organizations on a regular basis.​
********​
But some believe that the food may be coming from other sources. Ling Liang, senior program manager for the Commodity Supplemental Food Program, argues that most of the food being sold in and around UN Plaza comes from the monthly packages they distribute to more than 11,000 recipients in San Francisco.​
Liang is familiar with the some of the women in question and recognizes some of the products from her program. Her office has removed certain violators and tried to explain the illegality of reselling food, but it doesn’t seem to deter some of the women.​

I've been part of several food pantry groups, we've volunteered with Second Harvest but my financial donations always go to our local Food Pantry. I look to see how the food distribution works (how they decide who gets it) and how they get it (from a distributor like SH or are they working with local places like grocery stores, etc). What I dislike about SH is they charge local panties for food they get donated, plus they also have a lot of very very well paid staff. Our local food pantry operates 3 locations it 100% volunteer board & staff - the Executive Director is usually there for 2-3 years but again it's a volunteer position so I know my $ is going to the food.

I get that, but what I was seeing was individual pickups where nobody is assigned by the distributor to help with transportation of the boxes.

However, this apparently goes way back. The big thing is organized groups that get a jump on obtaining them and then getting multiple boxes from different pantries.

Enicia Montalvo, who runs the Salvation Army’s food pantry on Valencia Street, said it’s no secret that people are abusing the system. Other pantries in the Mission area concur, including La Dispensia at St. Anthony’s Church and the food pantry at Mission Presbyterian Church. All say they have seen a group of people who they suspect of reselling food visiting their organizations on a regular basis.​
********​
But some believe that the food may be coming from other sources. Ling Liang, senior program manager for the Commodity Supplemental Food Program, argues that most of the food being sold in and around UN Plaza comes from the monthly packages they distribute to more than 11,000 recipients in San Francisco.​
Liang is familiar with the some of the women in question and recognizes some of the products from her program. Her office has removed certain violators and tried to explain the illegality of reselling food, but it doesn’t seem to deter some of the women.​
I get it's not great to resell for but to speak plainly, I'll go out on a limb and assume a person would need to be in a really dire situation to be reselling food pantry food and to be perfectly honest, I'm ok with it if it prevents a person from needing to sell themselves, whether it's for drugs or rent or whatever. I'm not going to hold a person in that sort situation to the same social mores as someone else so while I might not agree with certain things from my nice sofa in my safe home, I can't ignore I have a luxury of choice. But for the grace of God, there go I, it's ok by me, not great but things get murky at the bottom of the ladder :(

Last edited:
I get it's not great to resell for but to speak plainly, I'll go out on a limb and assume a person would need to be in a really dire situation to be reselling food pantry food and to be perfectly honest, I'm ok with it if it prevents a person from needing to sell themselves, whether it's for drugs or rent or whatever. I'm not going to hold a person in that sort situation to the same social mores as someone else so while I might not agree with certain things from my nice sofa in my safe home, I can't ignore I have a luxury of choice. But for the grace of God, there go I, it's ok by me, not great but things get murky at the bottom of the ladder :(

I get it to some degree, but it would have never occurred to me to resell any food that I've ever gotten. I took advantage of it because it specifically wasn't means tested, but I've never actually gone to any other food pantry, and I certainly didn't ask for more than my family was eligible to receive.

The one that schools have been doing for a while is certainly different. I think a lot of it comes from federal funds, state funds, and possibly some donations of both food and money. But it was different because there were clearly people who probably weren't in dire conditions taking advantage of it. But it was somewhat upsetting because it was pretty obvious that many probably weren't eligible but they relied on the honor system for eligibility and/or number of children.

I get it to some degree, but it would have never occurred to me to resell any food that I've ever gotten. I took advantage of it because it specifically wasn't means tested, but I've never actually gone to any other food pantry, and I certainly didn't ask for more than my family was eligible to receive.

The one that schools have been doing for a while is certainly different. I think a lot of it comes from federal funds, state funds, and possibly some donations of both food and money. But it was different because there were clearly people who probably weren't in dire conditions taking advantage of it. But it was somewhat upsetting because it was pretty obvious that many probably weren't eligible but they relied on the honor system for eligibility and/or number of children.
It's disheartening, for sure :(

Well, this Saturday is the Postal Workers annual food drive, so don't forget to leave donations at your mailbox Saturday. My bag is ready to go out.
After having volunteered at the Food Bank I have concluded that the best thing I can do is send them money to buy what the NEED, not guess what they need and donate that. They literally had pallets of ramen, which seems to be what every school food drive collects. But what they needed was bread, and canned fruit and dog and cat food, as many in need also have pets.. I worked on making sandwiches for the sack lunch program, and we made hot dog sandwiches on raisin bread.......because that was the only bread that was donated. If they had money, they could buy regular bread or hot dog buns

My family does a big shopping spree twice a year because it's more meaningful for our kids to participate in it. I always call the place we plan to donate to in order to find out what donations they need. We always do one in August before school starts.

Our state has a food bank that distributes to all of the food pantries in the state. I send them a check every month which helps them to buy in bulk. One of the attorneys I work with is on the board and they can buy much more inexpensively than I can. I buy hygiene products for our local pantry since those products aren't covered by government assistance.

Thanks! I will keep looking as you suggest, I emailed a local Abbey with outdoor services to see what's going on in the area but maybe I'll also call a local school to see if they know of any programs for kids where they bring home food from school like our district had back in PA, I was so much more in touch when I was in the PTA & feel the disconnect.
l love the backpack food programs, I would call a local High School most people don't think about older kids being hungry and a lot of them take care of younger siblings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter