Thyroid Questions

fb309

Earning My Ears
I have been on Synthroid for 10 years. The first 9 years I was on 75 mcg with no problems. Last year, anxiety got the best of me and it turned out I was getting too much and my dosage was lowered to 50 mcg. Now, I am feeling the anxiety/palpitations starting again. My tsh a month ago was already down to 0.77, so I know it is dropping again. Is this change from being hypo to hyper normal? Thanks for your help. I'm going to go and try to relax.

Well although I cant say what exactly is the problem in your case I would like to say my father has been taking this medication for more than 30 years now. He got his thyroid removed and I never recollect him having such problems. However if you are aware the medication during administration period requires some adjustments to be made on the dietary regimen, hope you did that else it may interfere with the healing process.

I am not an expert and if my daughter was not so busy at work I would try to get some answers out of her...I do know that I have heard her talk about having palpitations when her levels are too high, I also know that when her levels are too low, she gets leg cramps....

I think I would call my doctor and get some answers. Getting the dosage right can be tricky and it is how you feel that counts so give them a call and tell them what is going on..

Hopefully others will respond here as well. Take care and let us know how you do.

I no longer have my thyroid gland so I do not get the problems you are experiencing.

However, for people who still have a gland, and especially if you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, this can be a real problem.

Your gland is deciding some days it is going to work (and work hard) and some days it's not gonna work at all! In the meantime, you are taking synthetic thyroid hormone. When your gland decides to work, you will become hyper. For some reason, you gland is going back to work. This is really tough to deal with.

I hope you are seeing a good endocrinologist. I know of people in this state that had to totally stop their Synthroid to see what was going on.

One more thought here, my daughter's endo took her off synthroid when they realized that each company was not making synthroid the same... I think that they remedied that, but you might want to check into that. Maybe you may have to switch to another artificial thyroid hormone...if this one is giving you trouble.. Levoxil is the one my dd takes.

One more thought here, my daughter's endo took her off synthroid when they realized that each company was not making synthroid the same... I think that they remedied that, but you might want to check into that. Maybe you may have to switch to another artificial thyroid hormone...if this one is giving you trouble.. Levoxil is the one my dd takes.

Synthroid is a brand name of levothyroxine and is made by the same company. I think what you might be thinking of is people who are taking generic levothyroxine. Many companies make the generic and each time you go to pick up your 30 day supply, you could be getting a generic form that is made my a different company. The dosage is the same; however, it is allowed to vary a bit based on the filler the different companies use. So, theoretically, you could be getting a different dose each month.

The best thing you can do is ask for the brand name. There are many: Synthroid, Levothroid, Levoxyl, Unithroid. Find a brand and stick with it.

If your insurance company "insists" on a generic, figure out the name of the one manufacturers (they will have the name listed on your vial) and each time you refill try to make sure you can stick with the same manufacturer. Kind of hard to do because the pharmacies will order the generic that gives them the best price at the time.

Thanks Christine, I knew it was something like that.....and I know that her doctor switched her because of it.. makes sense that it would be all the generics....

"If your insurance company "insists" on a generic, figure out the name of the one manufacturers (they will have the name listed on your vial) and each time you refill try to make sure you can stick with the same manufacturer. Kind of hard to do because the pharmacies will order the generic that gives them the best price at the time."

This will turn into a nightmare once again for the patient...I am constantly amazed at how bad the medical profession and the drug companies are and how no one seems to working for the patient.. Unless your doctor writes on your script, at least this has been my experience, no substitutions, you get the generic they have on hand.

I have been taking Zyrtec for about a year for hives....mostly exercise induced hives, but itchy and horrible. I have just found out I have to switch to Allegra because Blue Cross Blue Shield will not cover Zyrtec. What is the difference. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

A trick that I learned from the docs about insurance companies is to insist on dispense as written. That way the company has to fill it as ordered. They might not like it, but it works at least for me.

The generics can cause problems as well. The profession is starting to see more and more of it.

I have been taking Zyrtec for about a year for hives....mostly exercise induced hives, but itchy and horrible. I have just found out I have to switch to Allegra because Blue Cross Blue Shield will not cover Zyrtec. What is the difference. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

That's too bad. My son does SO well on Zyrtec. Fortunately, our insurance covers it at the higher tier ($35 per month instead of $25). I did try Allegra with him because I would like to save $10 per month, but within 3 days he was begging for his Zyrtec.

On the other hand, my co-worker says that Zyrtec does nothing for her and only Allegra works. So hopefully it will work for you!

I have papillary thyroid cancer and have also had Hashimoto's thyroiditis (a type of autoimmune thyroid disease in which the immune system attacks and destroys the thyroid gland). I underwent a total thyroidectomy about 12 years ago and have been on Synthroid ever since. (And what did I do to help recover from surgery? I went to Disney, of course! Any excuse for a trip, right? :rotfl:)

Regarding generics vs. Synthroid, it was drummed into me early on by my endocrinologist that I should take the brand name drug and stick with it (not allow the pharmacist to swap a generic for it) because of potential differences in the amount of active ingredient in the formulations. My doctor checks off "brand necessary" on the prescription script and I haven't had any problem with insurance companies covering it. (And if I did, I would write a letter to the insurance company documenting my need for the brand name drug.)

Assuming the dosage of the synthetic hormone you're taking is indeed correct, are you consistent in how you take it? Do you take it every day? Do you take it at the same time every day? Is that time 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals? Are you careful to avoid taking it along with products that contain calcium? These are simple steps you can take to ensure that your body is processing the full dosage of the drug.

If you don't feel right, don't hesitate to go back to your doctor to discuss your symptoms. A good doctor will listen to your concerns and follow up. You know your body and you are your own best "patient advocate." If something doesn't feel "normal," you have an obligation to pursue it.

Hope you're feeling more like yourself soon!

MKingdom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter