Just got back from a 9 day trip. Sadly, we decided not to upgrade to an AP. However, we are going back to FL in January to swim with manatees. If we go crazy and stop by WDW during this trip, I assume we can't retroactively upgrade?

Just got back from a 9 day trip. Sadly, we decided not to upgrade to an AP. However, we are going back to FL in January to swim with manatees. If we go crazy and stop by WDW during this trip, I assume we can't retroactively upgrade?

Sorry, but no.

Hi, just had a somewhat puzzling conversation with Ticket Services. I looked in the OPs and may have missed it buuuuut:

The tl;dr question: when upgrading a MYW ticket to an annual pass, the AP start date is still the first day the MYW ticket was used, right?

Long version: last year we had 7 day hoppers, first used on November 27, 2016, upgraded to DVC Gold APs. It was during a bonus month promo, so the expiration date would be set to Dec 27, 2017. We were planning on going in either October or our usual post-thanksgiving week for 2017 so it would cover us either way. We ended up going the first week of October.

Later in October I got an email that our passes were expiring on October 27th. And I was like “uhh..no they aren’t”. But ultimately I didn’t care, we were only planning on going once in 2017, our usual week after thanksgiving, and didn’t need to renew. So I let it go, figuring the CM who did it somehow took a month off instead of adding a month on.

Last week we decided we needed to go in April 2018. Which meant I needed to renew the Annual Passes which were expired but shouldn’t be. And they needed to have the correct expiration dates, or it wouldnt cover our second trip in 2018.

So today I made some calls, got ticket services, and after some time away from the phone the CM comes back and says, “ok, as a courtesy,” emphasizing courtesy, “we have extended the date on your passes to December 27th 2017.

I was confused and he wasn’t offering more information on his own.

I said, “ok...”

He responds, “well, just so you know, the park hoppers you upgraded from were used September 27th, but please enjoy the renewal.”

I respond, “No, that was the day I purchased them from Disney on-line, so I could make my 60 day FP reservations. We entered the park first on November 27, and that should be the first day of the AP.”

He says, “when doing an upgrade it’s...”

“Ok, ok, thank you for doing it. Have a nice day”. I stopped him because I was getting mad and didn’t want to escalate. They’d done the correction and I didn’t like being condescended to but ultimately I just wanted to get off the phone with a win.

He then started to get more condescending about calling them as soon as we notice a problem. I said “ok, ok, thank you again” and hung up.

And to be clear, this isn’t my first time at the rodeo. We’ve done this upgrade before, several times and it’s always been from date used, not date purchased.

So has the policy changed or is this guy just wrong? Changing it to purchased but not used wouldn’t make ANY sense to me.

Hi, just had a somewhat puzzling conversation with Ticket Services. I looked in the OPs and may have missed it buuuuut:

The tl;dr question:
1. when upgrading a MYW ticket to an annual pass, the AP start date is still the first day the MYW ticket was used, right?

Long version: last year we had 7 day hoppers, first used on November 27, 2016, upgraded to DVC Gold APs. It was during a bonus month promo, so the expiration date would be set to Dec 27, 2017. We were planning on going in either October or our usual post-thanksgiving week for 2017 so it would cover us either way. We ended up going the first week of October.

Later in October I got an email that our passes were expiring on October 27th. And I was like “uhh..no they aren’t”. But ultimately I didn’t care, we were only planning on going once in 2017, our usual week after thanksgiving, and didn’t need to renew. So I let it go, 2. figuring the CM who did it somehow took a month off instead of adding a month on.

Last week we decided we needed to go in April 2018. Which meant I needed to renew the Annual Passes which were expired but shouldn’t be. And they needed to have the correct expiration dates, or it wouldnt cover our second trip in 2018.

So today I made some calls, got ticket services, and after some time away from the phone the CM comes back and says, “ok, as a courtesy,” emphasizing courtesy, “we have extended the date on your passes to December 27th 2017.

I was confused and he wasn’t offering more information on his own.

I said, “ok...”

He responds, “well, just so you know, the park hoppers you upgraded from were used September 27th, but please enjoy the renewal.”

I respond, “No, that was the day I purchased them from Disney on-line, so I could make my 60 day FP reservations. We entered the park first on November 27, and that should be the first day of the AP.”

He says, “when doing an upgrade it’s...”

“Ok, ok, thank you for doing it. Have a nice day”. I stopped him because I was getting mad and didn’t want to escalate. They’d done the correction and I didn’t like being condescended to but ultimately I just wanted to get off the phone with a win.

3. He then started to get more condescending about calling them as soon as we notice a problem. I said “ok, ok, thank you again” and hung up.

And to be clear, this isn’t my first time at the rodeo. We’ve done this upgrade before, several times and it’s always been from date used, not date purchased.

4. So has the policy changed or is this guy just wrong? Changing it to purchased but not used wouldn’t make ANY sense to me.

1. Correct.
2. Yup. Happens all the time... FAR too frequently.
3. That's a bit unusual for Guest Relations on the phone, but you get who you hire and "hope for the best," I guess.
4. No change in policy has been announced in public, at least.
You got an incompetent and rude CM. Wish it didn't happen, but you came out OK
with what you needed... so congrats on that!

1. Correct.
2. Yup. Happens all the time... FAR too frequently.
3. That's a bit unusual for Guest Relations on the phone, but you get who you hire and "hope for the best," I guess.
4. No change in policy has been announced in public, at least.
You got an incompetent and rude CM. Wish it didn't happen, but you came out OK
with what you needed... so congrats on that!

Thanks! It’s been a while since I’ve been around here, thanks for still being awesome!

I've read back through multiple posts, but I'm still not entirely clear on the "right" answer to this questions (so sorry if I'm asking something obvious):
I'm planning to purchase a 7DPH from UT and upgrade to AP when I'm at WDW next month. If I can get a CM to price bridge for me, are they bridging to gate price or the online/pre-purchase price? Also, the last time I did this (it was my first time upgrading, and it was a couple of years ago), I had read that it was best to actually use the ticket (by entering a park first) and then upgrading at Guest Relations. Is this still recommended for best luck upgrading with price bridging? Or should I just go straight to Disney Springs GR and try there first? Thanks in advance for your help!

I've read back through multiple posts, but I'm still not entirely clear on the "right" answer to this questions (so sorry if I'm asking something obvious):
I'm planning to purchase a 7DPH from UT and upgrade to AP when I'm at WDW next month. If I can get a CM to price bridge for me,
1. are they bridging to gate price or the online/pre-purchase price? Also, the last time I did this (it was my first time upgrading, and it was a couple of years ago),
2. I had read that it was best to actually use the ticket (by entering a park first) and then upgrading at Guest Relations.
Is this still recommended for best luck upgrading with price bridging?
3. Or should I just go straight to Disney Springs GR and try there first?
1. On-line price.
2. Doesn’t affect the price, either way.
3. You can.

Last edited:

They should.
And they did! Thanks for all the info here- GR at Studios was great. now I just have to read thru thread for adding days to a 5 day pass,so I can do it properly

ok so question on adding a day to already bought Park Hopper tix's , my wife said they are discounted since we already have tickets bought , I say they are not? can anyone settle this....and if I buy at the park is the price different than buy form Disney Travel?

ok so question on adding a day to already bought Park Hopper tix's ,
1. my wife said they are discounted since we already have tickets bought , I say they are not? can anyone settle this....and
2. if I buy at the park is the price different than buy form Disney Travel?

1. When and from whom did you buy your current tickets?
2. There can be a price difference if you buy tickets from a ticket booth at WDW vs ordering the tickets from the WDW website.

bought form Disney Travel , so that is why I wondering if there is price difference

bought form Disney Travel , so that is why I wondering if there is price difference
When did you buy your current PH tickets?
How many "days" are on your current tickets?
How much did you pay for them (individually?)

they are a gift to us -- bought 2 weeks ago
7 day PH
not sure on the price the total price was $2500 ( 2 adults / 2 kid )

they are a gift to us -- bought 2 weeks ago
7 day PH
not sure on the price the total price was $2500 ( 2 adults / 2 kid )

Hmmm.
The total, with tax on those four tickets should only be $2023.52

Robo you have been such a great source of information over the years .. THANK YOU !!!!

The question at hand. My daughter graduated from University of Tampa and will be doing the college work program in January. We are DVC AP holders and her pass will exp. in January. I want to take advantage of the DVC special on the Platinum Plus before the deadline (Jan. 3) but also think that renewing at this point is money down the drain. She thinks that as a CM there will be many black out dates and she will not be able to get into the park when she is off therefor she needs the AP renewed while I think there will not be many CM blackout dates between now and mid May to warrant renewing (personally I think she will not have that much "off time" anyways.)
For the rest of the year the only thing we know for sure is she will be going with us to Disney for New Years Eve 2018. By mid spring we should know if she will stay at Disney (extended) be coming home to look for work or if she will be accepted into a PA program and thus going out of state for medical school.

What are your thoughts ... Renew or buy a DVC AP Platinum Plus now but do not activate till Dec. 31, 2018

Robo you have been such a great source of information over the years .. THANK YOU !!!!

The question at hand. My daughter graduated from University of Tampa and will be doing the college work program in January. We are DVC AP holders and her pass will exp. in January. I want to take advantage of the DVC special on the Platinum Plus before the deadline (Jan. 3) but also think that renewing at this point is money down the drain. She thinks that as a CM there will be many black out dates and she will not be able to get into the park when she is off therefor she needs the AP renewed while I think there will not be many CM blackout dates between now and mid May to warrant renewing (personally I think she will not have that much "off time" anyways.)
For the rest of the year the only thing we know for sure is she will be going with us to Disney for New Years Eve 2018. By mid spring we should know if she will stay at Disney (extended) be coming home to look for work or if she will be accepted into a PA program and thus going out of state for medical school.

What are your thoughts ... Renew or buy a DVC AP Platinum Plus now but do not activate till Dec. 31, 2018

Thank you for the kind words!

Sorry, but I don't have a specific opinion on the APs.
Nobody knows what lies ahead with tickets and APs, good or bad.

Make your travel plans and use your current preferences as to what to purchase for the coming year (or two.)

Thanks Robo ...

Do you know if once she gets her badge she will also know what the blackout dates will be for the spring?

Ok thanks !!!
One more quick question
I think I know the answer but just making sure.
If I goto a ticket window to buy a DVC ap with the intent not to activate it till dec 2018 I can or can’t not use an unused 2 day ticket to offset the cost

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter