I think only you can decide if it’s worth it to you or not. We’re 60 days away from our second “covid” trip. I actually really enjoyed our last trip. We were able to take things slow, do everything we wanted and the crowds were amazing. While the crowds are starting to pick up it’s still less people than normal. The number one change that I loved was the socially distanced lines. It’s Disney so there will always be lines, but I would much rather wait in a 45 minute line without a stranger breathing down my back. I don’t typically like meet and greets so getting to see the characters from a distance in the cavalcades was perfect. I also like that you don’t have to park yourself on Main Street for 2 hours to watch a parade. The shorter park hours were better for our family bc we are early risers and early to bed type people so not having to stay up until 10:00 every night while on vacation was nice. I never felt like I was missing out bc me and my kids needed to go to bed. Again I think it’s all in your perspective and what must do’s are going to missing for your family. It’s a lot of money to spend to be disappointed, but if you go in knowing what’s not going to be available to you then you shouldn’t be too upset.

Trying so hard to use the app/website to change the start date of my ticket but keep getting the Duck Out message. HS is now available but I have to change my dates first!!! I’m so frustrated!

Greetings!

My family is considering a trip (six nights) to WDW in early May 2021. This would be our 5th trip in the last twelve years. We always stay on property and use ME. I'm struggling with the fact that based on what I have priced for a package that week, I will be spending a fair amount more than I have in the past and be receiving less of a product. I know Covid is a part of the issue but I also feel like WDW is using Covid as an excuse to cut services that were a key part of a magical vacation. With no extra magic hours, no fast passes, many dining options closed, no fireworks, considerably less shows etc. I am having trouble signing on to this endeavor. This is not intended to be a whiny post even though as I read it, that's what it kind of sounds like. Trust me. I want to get excited. Am I looking at this wrong?

Many thanks!
It’s one of the few family destinations doing things safely, demanding masks and enforcing it. If you’re desperate for a break and a vacation then hopefully it will be worth it. But there is no getting around the fact that it is paying the same (or more depending on your last visit) for less. Have you looked into the buy four days/get two free days ticket promotion? Or considered renting DVC points to save some money on hotels?

If it doesn’t make sense that’s okay! I wish I could say that low wait times are ample or other things are more special to offset what they’ve taken away, but it’s just not true. Other than WDW this year we’ve done a cabin trip in PA and are heading to Grand Canyon/Bruce Canyon for spring break. A lot less $$ too.

Last edited:
Greetings!

My family is considering a trip (six nights) to WDW in early May 2021. This would be our 5th trip in the last twelve years. We always stay on property and use ME. I'm struggling with the fact that based on what I have priced for a package that week, I will be spending a fair amount more than I have in the past and be receiving less of a product. I know Covid is a part of the issue but I also feel like WDW is using Covid as an excuse to cut services that were a key part of a magical vacation. With no extra magic hours, no fast passes, many dining options closed, no fireworks, considerably less shows etc. I am having trouble signing on to this endeavor. This is not intended to be a whiny post even though as I read it, that's what it kind of sounds like. Trust me. I want to get excited. Am I looking at this wrong?

Many thanks!
WDW isn't the only place to vacation. There is a real "world" out there to explore. Once you get the urge to come back to WDW it will be there. Maybe in a few years they'll have lots of new features for you to be excited about.

Greetings!

Many thanks!
Vacations should be enjoyable. WDW is a pretty penny and don't spend the cash unless you are 100% certain you want to go.

Trying so hard to use the app/website to change the start date of my ticket but keep getting the Duck Out message. HS is now available but I have to change my dates first!!! I’m so frustrated!
I kept trying all night and figured it would be fixed in the morning but just tried and got the Duck Out message again. If HS fills up I will be soooo upset. Our March days turned green yesterday and scared it will go back to yellow. What number do I call? Any time I’ve called to do something with tickets they have always transferred me. If all I’m trying to do is change the start date, what is the correct phone number? Thanks!

Thank you for everyone taking time to offer input. We had a family meeting last night and everyone agreed that WDW has always been one of our favorite vacations due to great memories/nostalgia. That coupled with the fact that we have been several times makes it an “easy” vacation because we have an idea of what to expect and how to plan. This Covid trip may not have all the offerings that we have enjoyed in the past but it might just be a little sweeter since we have been fairly home bound for nearly a year already. Thanks again for everyone’s input.

I’m going to Disney world!

Thank you for everyone taking time to offer input. We had a family meeting last night and everyone agreed that WDW has always been one of our favorite vacations due to great memories/nostalgia. That coupled with the fact that we have been several times makes it an “easy” vacation because we have an idea of what to expect and how to plan. This Covid trip may not have all the offerings that we have enjoyed in the past but it might just be a little sweeter since we have been fairly home bound for nearly a year already. Thanks again for everyone’s input.

I’m going to Disney world!

This is exactly what we did as a family. My husband was not convinced about going, but we really discussed everything available, all the things we still haven't done and the fact that we will be 2 years without a vacation by then. I told him if he still wasn't convinced that we would go without him. That seemed to do the trick. :)

Sorry. I use to be a Disney Cheerleader but that has changed. DH died and DS is grown so Disney does not hold the same feeling for me anymore. I enjoyed my solo trip in 2016 but felt disappointed with 2018 trip. Now with all the planning hoops to jump through, the cuts and what I consider to be nickel and dime tactics, I have no desire to return. Might still look at cruising but the parks are pretty much kaput.

I had a September 2020 trip that I cancelled. I don't plan to go back until things are more "normal" as I don't want to pay full price for what would be, in my mind, a lesser experience. It sounds like you have the same mindset, so I would explore a different vacation. Maybe do a Universal Studios trip.

So they are offering less but there will also be fewer people in the parks. We would have never considered going in April when our schools have spring break in the Northeast but we are going this year. With reduced park capacities, no school groups, few people visiting from foreign countries, and a lot of people not willing to travel we are expecting some crowds but it still to be an enjoyable week.

Have you considered staying offsite at a condo? With fewer visitors the condo rental prices have tanked. Yes, there are no night shows or fireworks but since we are staying offsite that will just give us more time to go explore non-Disney restaurants and attractions along 192.

If this is your first time visiting Disney or a once in a lifetime trip I would skip it this year but if you have been before and are just looking for a fun vacation and not worried about seeing everything I think Disney can still be enjoyable.

Don't spend discretionary money on things that don't excite you especially if you feel the value isn't there

I agree 100% with this. If you have to be convinced by someone else, it is not the right decision.

Additionally, I was told something a long time ago... If you have to think about something excessively, then you know what is right.

EDIT: Also, my wife and I are perpetual Disney and cruise people. We haven't been on vacation for upwards of five years and are considering a change to Tahoe or Lake Placid or a spa in Vermont that we went to once. Maybe even going to the place where "A Christmas Story" was filmed and visiting the house.

Don't get me wrong, I love Disney, but it is not the only destination on earth.

There’s so many other places to go that are offering amazing deals and much more that is open. We won’t be going to Disney until it’s back to “normal.” In the meantime we have several other places planned. Next up is Puerto Rico. Disney will be there when we decide to go back.

I can’t pay disney prices for half the experience.

I intend to return this year but I am not sure if the smaller crowds justify spending the same $$$ for shorter hours and no FP. I am seriously considering switching affinity to Universal next year if Disney proceeds with eliminating Magical Express.

I intend to return this year but I am not sure if the smaller crowds justify spending the same $$$ for shorter hours and no FP. I am seriously considering switching affinity to Universal next year if Disney proceeds with eliminating Magical Express.
IMHO, you won't regret a trip to Universal. The hotels have better service. We usually stay at the Hard Rock and the Free Express pass for staying on site is a huge plus. The best attractions at Universal are better than the best ones at WDW except for maybe the ones at Galaxy's Edge.

Given that WDW is not completely open I would avoid it until it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter