Tie Dye Instructions for Spiral Mickey Shirt

I gave it a go. Here is what I got on my first try.....
They are not that great, but they'll do.

DisneyShirts2007.jpg

Wow. It has been a long time since I have been logged into the boards. Good to see the spiral thread is going strong. Great job everyone on their shirts! I have to make some tank top versions since we are going in Sep this time around. I will post them when I find the time to make them.

We did a tye dye shirt at Silver Dollar City last year (in a kids' craft area) and they told us that after applying the dye, we should let it set in a plastic bag for over a week before rinsing out the dye. The girls did red and blue and they're still really bright after multiple washings. Would there be any harm in doing these and then letting them set for a 4-7 days before rinsing?

If it didn't ruin the ones from Silver Dollar City I don't see why these would be any different. I am just wonderin if that much time would allow the dye to seep into the rubber banded section around Mickey too much? I know we let ours set over night and ours are all still very vibrant with only the kits from Walmart. Guess no way to know for sure until someone tries it.

These instructions were so great. We ended up letting ours set just over 6 hours. Here's 3 of the 5 we made:

trio.jpg

Our shirts are done! Thank you so much for this thread. I would never have had the guts to try this without your step by step pictures.:flower3: and without further adio,
Here'd DD's
Emilys.jpg

Here's Mine.
Lynn.jpg

Here's DH's.
Dad.jpg

and DS agreed to model his own!
Jake.jpg

Thanks again. I'll try to remeber to post a trip pic when I get back!

I was sent here by someone on the Budget Board to see these instructions and pictures and I must say these shirts are AWESOME...all of them!

I am definitely going to make two for DH and me for MNSSHP this October!

hi everyone,

I just found this site and I'm super, super excited to try to make some for our trip in 9 days!!! The pictures are quite clear, but I'm not sure if really understand the first step -- is sewing with the dental floss, really using a needle and thread to sew the mickey pattern on the shirt? Or am I missing something? Any help would be great!!

hi everyone,

I just found this site and I'm super, super excited to try to make some for our trip in 9 days!!! The pictures are quite clear, but I'm not sure if really understand the first step -- is sewing with the dental floss, really using a needle and thread to sew the mickey pattern on the shirt? Or am I missing something? Any help would be great!!

Yes. First you draw the Mickey head on the shirt, and then you baste just outside the lines with needle and waxed dental floss or waxed thread. Then you just pull the ends of the floss(thread) together to make the "head" bunch up. Then rubber band right below the floss line.

Here is a picture of my basting:
PA050256.jpg
and a picture of it as I pulled the floss tight:
PA050258.jpg

PA050259.jpg

I hope those help.

I originally made mine in '05 for a big family trip. Mine weren't the spiral though.
3a077737.jpg
I might make these before our next trip though. They look like a blast.

Could you use more colors? I might give this a try on an older white T I have at home.

I think you could use more but since the overlapping of the colors creates new colors if you got them too close you may end up with a bunch of colors you didn't plan. I am so sure that ramble didn't make any sense did it:rolleyes1.

Okay - I've read all the tie-dyed t-shirt threads and I'm going to take the plunge and finally do my shirts sometime soon, but first I have some questions:

1. I have a Jacquard tie-dye kit that I'm finally going to put into use. It comes with the red, blue & yellow dyes, and an extra bottle for mixing a color. I'm not sure if I want to actually mix a separate color so I'm not stuck with that color for all the shirts. If I mix the colors directly onto the cloth while trying to use the proportions listed on the bottle, will they turn out okay? (Did that make sense?) Or should I just bite the bullet and pre-mix one color?
  2. I love the spiral shirt, but would love to have mickey on the front and back. Has anyone done this with good results? Since the mickey head would have to be double thickness (t-shirt front and back together), will it be defined as clearly as the single thickness? Or should I just not chance it and settle for just the front?
  3. If you want a lighter color, do you rinse earlier or just dilute the color with a bit more water before applying? Or just rinse it out earlier?
Also, my directions say to let the colors stand 24 hours before rinsing.

I purchased a BeDazzler gem & rhinestone setter at ACMoore last week, using the 40% off coupon, so it came out to $12.00. I thought about getting the iron-on crystals, but thought that DD would try to pick them off. This way they'll be attached with a setting through the fabric.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Here are 2 of the 4 we made for our upcoming trip--can't WAIT to wear them!! Less than a month to go!!:cool1:
We mixed the colors directly onto the cloth--used only red, blue and yellow. We only did the Mickey shape on the front, but you should get the same results with a double thickness. We let ours sit the entire 24 hours that was recommended--I would just rinse them out earlier for a lighter color. Hope yours turn out well--have fun making them!

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

1. I have a Jacquard tie-dye kit that I'm finally going to put into use. It comes with the red, blue & yellow dyes, and an extra bottle for mixing a color. I'm not sure if I want to actually mix a separate color so I'm not stuck with that color for all the shirts. If I mix the colors directly onto the cloth while trying to use the proportions listed on the bottle, will they turn out okay? (Did that make sense?) Or should I just bite the bullet and pre-mix one color?
  2. I love the spiral shirt, but would love to have mickey on the front and back. Has anyone done this with good results? Since the mickey head would have to be double thickness (t-shirt front and back together), will it be defined as clearly as the single thickness? Or should I just not chance it and settle for just the front?
  3. If you want a lighter color, do you rinse earlier or just dilute the color with a bit more water before applying? Or just rinse it out earlier?
Also, my directions say to let the colors stand 24 hours before rinsing.

We also mixed the colors right on the shirt. We got a very clear green and orange I think from just overlapping.

I agree with DizneeMommy that you should be ok with the double thickness. Be sure and post some pics if you give it a try.

Finally, we only left our colors on for about 8 to 10 hours but I am not sure what our directions were. I would leave it on as long as they suggest just to be sure.

Here are 2 of the 4 we made for our upcoming trip--can't WAIT to wear them!! Less than a month to go!!:cool1:
We mixed the colors directly onto the cloth--used only red, blue and yellow. We only did the Mickey shape on the front, but you should get the same results with a double thickness. We let ours sit the entire 24 hours that was recommended--I would just rinse them out earlier for a lighter color. Hope yours turn out well--have fun making them!

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

These look really great :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter