Timeshare exchange to DVC Resort?

selting73

Earning My Ears
I need some expert advice please!

We are renting a time share week from a friend. Their home resort is in Branson at a popular resort and they have banked a desirable week for exchange.

Here's what our exchange request looks like.

Resorts: BCV, BWV or WLV
Room: 2 BDR
Length of stay: 7 nights
When: Checking in no earlier than 4/17/08 and checking out no later than 5/8/08

Tell me honestly, do we have a chance of fulfilling this request.

Thanks so much in advance!

PS - This is my first ever trip to WDW! Yippee!

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think you will have a much better chance if you include OKW and SSR.
The smaller resorts that you listed will be harder, especially during the busier seasons you have requested. Also, if you could make do with a smaller villa your chances will increase somewhat.

Good luck!.. :smokin:

MG

I agree with MG. The mid May time might come before the late April time. And a one bedroom would be easier than a two bedroom.

VWL is the smallest DVC so the odds of that are slim. Go with OKW or SSR and you'd have a better chance.

I don't know about anyone, but I've never seen a DVC 2 bedroom on II. I've exchanged into DVC thru II 3 times (OKW 1bd, BCV 1bd, SSR studio), and the largest unit I've seen is 1 bedroom. This year I wasn't even seeing 1 bedroom (4/19-4/26), so I grabbed a studio at SSR.

From what I've read on the boards on TUG, it seems that many people feel DVC is so desirable a trade that it is more likely to trade 5 nights DVC to 7 nights in another timeshare. I assume that is a trade between owners instead of through something like II. Of course if this week is being 'deposited' it depends on which system you're using and other factors...

There is no such thing as a desireable week or popular resort in Branson, at least not in II. They are only average at best in both categories. I'd say anyone with this request has a close to zero chance even if using a high powered trader. IF you change to 1 BR and include SSR and OKW, you might or might not get a week. You should be able to get into one of the Marriott properties or Vistana Villages for a 2 BR. IF you must have a 2 BR, I'd add the other 2 DVC resorts but I'd expand the search to include other resorts no later than mid December. If you can do the 1 BR at DVC, you can ride for a while longer.

Realize, too, that a one bedroom at OKW or SSR only sleeps four (one king bed and one queen sleeper sofa).

I traded through II my virginia beach 2br resort for OKW 2br in October. It took 1 day for the trade to come through. Also when I deposit my virginia beach into II I get a bonus week that I can trade for a small fee. I was able to trade that week for...my choices were SSR studio or 1br (sept, jan) or OKW 1br (jan). studio was $230 and 1br was $280 for 7 nights!!! I chose the OKW 1br martin luther king week. I think okw and ssr are the easiest to trade for and it also depends on the trading power of the trading resort.

I have to agree, add OKW and SSR if you need a 2 BR, or change your request for a 1-BR as well. You might have a better chance of receiving your exchange. April is going to be a difficult exchange. If you can travel during low season than you would have a better change of getting a 2-BR. I've used II and received a 2-BR twice for the month of Jan, so it can be done.

I need some expert advice please!

We are renting a time share week from a friend. Their home resort is in Branson at a popular resort and they have banked a desirable week for exchange.

Here's what our exchange request looks like.

Resorts: BCV, BWV or WLV
Room: 2 BDR
Length of stay: 7 nights
When: Checking in no earlier than 4/17/08 and checking out no later than 5/8/08

Tell me honestly, do we have a chance of fulfilling this request.

Thanks so much in advance!

PS - This is my first ever trip to WDW! Yippee!

There are two separate issues here:
1) Does the resort have enough trading power to trade into DVC? It will all depend on the resort's quality scores. Search for any DVC resorts for a full year and see if ANY DVC resorts outside of 60 days are available. If they are, then you at least have enough trading power.
2) That said, you have VIRTUALLY NO CHANCE of a 2BR at those resorts during this period. You MIGHT have a chance at a 2BR at OKW or SSR if you extended through the rest of May. Even a 1BR at these resorts might be tough given the limited availability of each.

Trading into DVC is TOUGH!

There is no such thing as a desireable week or popular resort in Branson...

Dean,

I truncated your post, because I didn't think it needed to go any further!

About 10 or 15 years ago my two brothers and I went to Branson with my mother. A friend of our mother was telling my brother how much we were going to LOVE Branson. "It's just like Las Vegas, without all the gambling and the drinking and the sex," she said.

To which my brother replied: "That's what I was afraid of."

Dean,

I truncated your post, because I didn't think it needed to go any further!

About 10 or 15 years ago my two brothers and I went to Branson with my mother. A friend of our mother was telling my brother how much we were going to LOVE Branson. "It's just like Las Vegas, without all the gambling and the drinking and the sex," she said.

To which my brother replied: "That's what I was afraid of."
LOL. Actually I wasn't putting down Branson, only pointing out that the resorts there are generally not quite up to standards of some other locations (nice but nothing spectacular), that it is overbuilt (too much supply) and that it is not in as high a demand as some other locations. Branson is not the only place that one can say that about. Orlando, LV, and Williamsburg are the other places in the US that are similar in many ways. DVC is by far the exception for Orlando and Big Cedar Wilderness Club is for Branson (not in II, is in RCI). II measures trade power by resort quality, resort demand, unit size and demand of the week at that resort.

Wow the world of timeshare just confuses me all the way around!

The more I read the less I understand some days:lmao: .

We have friends that offered us a week of their banked timeshare what ever and are willing to look for a place at any of the WDW resorts. I'm hoping for a 1 bedroom however anything will do.

They are members of II.
Their resort is Steele Hill Resort in Sanborton NH. How do I find out what kind of trading power they have? I looked at a place online called "timex" . Is there an official place I can look?

On timex it scored a value exchange of a "9" and is a 2 bedroom lock out.
Disney's BoardWalk Villas 10
Disney's Wilderness Lodge 10
Disney’s Old Key West Resort 10
Disney's Beach Club Villas 7
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa 6

Does this mean I have no chance of getting into the "10"s but a chance at the "7" and "6" resort values?

Will I have a better chance if I ask for the timeshare member name and pass word and look daily on my own or do I actually have a chance to get a reservation through a traditional request....

I know this is a mouthful... I appreciate any light one might shed for me!

Our dates are a Sunday to Sunday and I can't be flexible with that... April 27th to May 4th, 2008. My niece is getting married in St Pete and that leaves us these dates. I looked and Fri, Sat, and Sunday are check in dates for the timeshares in question.

Again Thanks!

Silvermickey:
Do you know what color week your friend owns at Steele Hill? I have a friend that owns yellow or green (red is highest), and I can tell you that last year we looked at II at the same time using the same exchange dates and she did not have any DVC available and I had a few options (I own at a different resort, II gold crown, red week). So, either Steele Hill didn't have the trading power to get DVC or my friend's particular week didn't - I'm not sure which.

Can someone explain this trading power to me?

We have DVC points as well as Marriott. My Marriott is at Cypress Harbour, which is near Sea World. It is a dedicated 2BR-no lockoffs our season is "Sport" whcih is not the high season, but includes end of summer, fall and late Spring I think. We usually trade this Sport Season to go FEB. Presidents week but stay at Cypress harbour. From what I understand. if I deposit a specific Marriot week it goes into an inventory for II. The pecking order of who gets what, I think is more due to when I deposit my week w/II and if it is a Marrott resort, I have priority over non-Marriott timeshare traders. :confused3

So I am thinking my Marriott does not have good trading power to get DVC because soemone w/DVC points would probably not stay at another ORLANDO resort by trading points.

I assume I would have better trading power if I deposit my DVc w/ II if I want an exchange in Hawaii or St. Thomas or Puerto Rico (other than Marriott)?:confused3

How does trading power come into play? Does soemone from DVC have to put in a request thru II to go to another timeshare resort, such as the one in Branson, before the Branson timeshare person will be able to get a DVC ressie?:confused:

I believe that II has a regional block for DVC, meaning that if you are using another Orlando week (such as a Marriott), you will not be allowed to trade into DVC at WDW, but could trade into DVC Vero Beach or DVC HHI.
What I don't know is if you own DVC, if the "block" is waived b/c you are already an owner at DVC. You could call II and ask them about the Orlando regional block.
RE. OP, as others have said, your chances of pulling DVC with a Branson week for that time is close to nil--however, there are many very nice Orlando resorts. I would consider expanding your search to at least include MArriotts, as well.

I am not sure what this TIMEX rating is - but if this is rating in terms of how easy/hard it is to trade into the scale is flawed. I am pretty certain that Beach Club would be at the top of the list with Wilderness Lodge as far as difficulty trading into.

Silvermickey:
Do you know what color week your friend owns at Steele Hill? I have a friend that owns yellow or green (red is highest), and I can tell you that last year we looked at II at the same time using the same exchange dates and she did not have any DVC available and I had a few options (I own at a different resort, II gold crown, red week). So, either Steele Hill didn't have the trading power to get DVC or my friend's particular week didn't - I'm not sure which.

They own in a red week they said... That being said I went and looked at the resort site... It has 3 different locations... each quite different. Hmmmm

I am not sure what this TIMEX rating is - but if this is rating in terms of how easy/hard it is to trade into the scale is flawed. I am pretty certain that Beach Club would be at the top of the list with Wilderness Lodge as far as difficulty trading into.

The way I read the site... It is how much the resort is valued at.... Still I just DON"T know! hehehe Timeshare have always concfused me to say the least... Ad the name disney to it and I'm sunk...:confused3

Wow the world of timeshare just confuses me all the way around!

The more I read the less I understand some days:lmao: .

We have friends that offered us a week of their banked timeshare what ever and are willing to look for a place at any of the WDW resorts. I'm hoping for a 1 bedroom however anything will do.

They are members of II.
Their resort is Steele Hill Resort in Sanborton NH. How do I find out what kind of trading power they have? I looked at a place online called "timex" . Is there an official place I can look?

Does this mean I have no chance of getting into the "10"s but a chance at the "7" and "6" resort values?

Will I have a better chance if I ask for the timeshare member name and pass word and look daily on my own or do I actually have a chance to get a reservation through a traditional request....

I know this is a mouthful... I appreciate any light one might shed for me!

Our dates are a Sunday to Sunday and I can't be flexible with that... April 27th to May 4th, 2008. My niece is getting married in St Pete and that leaves us these dates. I looked and Fri, Sat, and Sunday are check in dates for the timeshares in question.

Again Thanks!
My info suggests that Steele Hill will have great difficulty meeting the resort quality requirements to trade in to DVC outside the 60 day window. Giving a 2 BR and asking for a 1 BR will help quite a bit. Also, most DVC units are Sat start though some Fri and Sunday units will show up as well. You could take a Sat unit and just get 6 nights out of it.

Timex's trade power has little to do with II's, they are not interchangeable at all. The specific week involved will also have a large effect on the likelihood of success. The week you're asking for is possible otherwise. If they will give you the name and password and you can check in every am 6-6:30, you may have a slightly better chance but the best chance is an ongoing search.

You could always change your request to include other resorts later if you need to and have not otherwise been successful.

Nezy, this is more applicable to Marriott than DVC. Trade power is a function of the resort quality, unit size, demand of the week in question and how far in advance you deposit your week. DVC actually has a generic trade power that is an average of what II gets from DVC. And while they could, they do not adjust your trade power based on what is deposited. Plus you don't have any control over what gets deposited. Now if DVC members could be direct II members, that might be different but it is not now. Here's how I like to think of it. Imagine a club where you belong and get to use cars when you travel. If you have a 1 y/o BMW and let someone else use it for a week, do you want to get an 8 y/o Chevy when your time comes. That is exactly the idea behind trade power, with a few other factors.
I assume I would have better trading power if I deposit my DVc w/ II if I want an exchange in Hawaii or St. Thomas or Puerto Rico (other than Marriott)?
No. Depositing first won't help you. Actually you're likely far better off using the Marriott rather than DVC in terms of trading power, ultimate cost and the chances of success. Plus for St. Thomas & HI, you've got a Marriott there giving you the internal trading preference.
So I am thinking my Marriott does not have good trading power to get DVC because soemone w/DVC points would probably not stay at another ORLANDO resort by trading points.
You can't use Orlando Marriott's to trade into DVC. I think you're looking at this on too small a scale. It seems you're thinking that II has to match up two people to make this happen and this isn't the case. II takes what they've got and distributes it in terms of their pecking order. Someone may get your deposit but you may get nothing or vice versa.
How does trading power come into play? Does soemone from DVC have to put in a request thru II to go to another timeshare resort, such as the one in Branson, before the Branson timeshare person will be able to get a DVC ressie?
See above, the answer is no. Here's how II uses trade power. Other timeshare exchange companies use similar but slightly different systems. Think of it this way. Imagine a score of 1-100 for trade power with a formula using unit size, resort qualify, how early the deposit was made and the demand of the week and resort. Then consider that II doesn't want you to trade up or down to much so you have a "like for like" exchange system. Consider my car exchange system I suggested above.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter