Tip amount for Walmart delivery?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
So for those of you that do use the Walmart delivery service, (where you should tip the driver), how much do you tip? Is it a percent of the order, a set amount, how much? There is a 9.95 fee for the service where I live, but I know that doesn't go to the driver, right? Any advice, info, ect?

I think there are a lot of variables at play, I don’t know where the $9,95 fee goes.

In my area, Walmart used to have their employees find the groceries and deliver them but recently outsourced the delivery. I used to tip more because it was a “tip pool” from my understanding. It was split between employees collecting and delivering the groceries. Now, my tip goes exclusively to the driver, which from what I understand, a Walmart employee loads the groceries into the third party vehicle then they deliver it. They still bring the groceries to my door but it’s a lot different than the original model. I would just ask some questions to figure out the drivers role then tip based on the amount of time and effort he has to put in to complete his task

Start considering...how much time are you saving and how much your AND their time is worth? The base amount they are paid through uber/instantcart/etc is probably enough to cover the mileage but the tips is really what pays for their time.

this service is not available at my home but if it were-

may not be a popular opinion but i don't see this job as different from any other walmart employee position and i don't tip the person stocking the shelves, the person who brings my order out for pick-up or the cashier at the register so i would'nt feel obligated to tip a driver that drops off at my home (esp. if i'm charged a fee for it). if it's a contracted company i feel even less obligated b/c they are not the ones who gathered and put together my order.

disclaimer-i live in a state where there's no difference in tipped and untipped minimum wage. i might feel differently if that was not the case.

this service is not available at my home but if it were-

may not be a popular opinion but i don't see this job as different from any other walmart employee position and i don't tip the person stocking the shelves, the person who brings my order out for pick-up or the cashier at the register so i would'nt feel obligated to tip a driver that drops off at my home (esp. if i'm charged a fee for it). if it's a contracted company i feel even less obligated b/c they are not the ones who gathered and put together my order.

disclaimer-i live in a state where there's no difference in tipped and untipped minimum wage. i might feel differently if that was not the case.
I’m not sure about Walmart, but DoorDash drivers get $2.50 per delivery, and depend on tips to make it worth it (otherwise they can lose money on gas).

I’m not sure about Walmart, but DoorDash drivers get $2.50 per delivery, and depend on tips to make it worth it (otherwise they can lose money on gas).

another service unavailable where i live but a new law went into effect on the west side of our state that has 'dashers' paid MUCH more as of january this year-

dashers who deliver in seattle must now earn at least $26.40 per hour, before tips, plus mileage for time on delivery–far exceeding seattle minimum wage.

I have Walmart+, so I get free deliveries. I still mostly so pick up, but when I do get deliveries, I tip 10 or 15%, depending if it’s a quick couple items, or lots of running around the store.

Where I live the Walmart employees load it in to the driver’s car and then the driver goes the 10 minutes to my house and unloads at the door. The app wants me to tip 18-20% of the order value. Um, no. So I do pickup most times. I don’t know if the drivers can pick and choose who they deliver to and the ratings and I’m not going to risk my groceries being destroyed because I would t tip 18% on a $300 order.

I drove Door Dash during the pandemic with my husband after I lost my job. I can tell you that from the way the app offers you the delivery (as the driver) that you can pretty much tell if there is no tip and there is an unspoken agreement among drivers "no tip, no delivery". No one is picking up that order because as drivers we have the option to accept a delivery or not. Exactly as you said, if we aren't getting tipped we lose money on the gas driving around.

I drove Door Dash during the pandemic with my husband after I lost my job. I can tell you that from the way the app offers you the delivery (as the driver) that you can pretty much tell if there is no tip and there is an unspoken agreement among drivers "no tip, no delivery". No one is picking up that order because as drivers we have the option to accept a delivery or not. Exactly as you said, if we aren't getting tipped we lose money on the gas driving around.
A friend sometimes does DoorDash for extra cash, she has to take her disabled adult son with her, she won’t take an order with no tip, can’t afford that gamble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter