Tipping

leebee

DIS Veteran
What do you normally tip housekeeping? I've heard that some folks tip $1/person/day, others leave $5/day standard. Do you leave the tip daily, or at the end of your trip? Do you leave more if you stay in a suite vs. a room? Last week we stayed in a 2 br villa (lr, dining area, kitchen, 2br, 2baths) at Grande Vista that did NOT have any housekeeping service at all- we made our own beds, emptied our trash, cleaned the kitchen and bathrooms, etc. My brother-in-law wanted to leave a $40-$50 tip for housekeeping when we left, as they had to come clean the villa after us. I thought that this was absurd- it's the resort's responsibility to provide clean accomodations for the next customer. Should I have chipped in on the tip? (He left $25, but I still think it was a silly thing to do). How do you handle tipping for the housekeeping staff? Do you tip the other staff (other than bag carriers, who I usually tip $1/bag at the airport but have never stayed anyplace with bellhops), like security when they come to check on a problem, or housekeeping if they bring extra towels (what if they aren't extratowels, but rather that the room wasn't stocked with the right # for the # of guests)? What's standard? What do you do? I don't want to seem cheap, but also don't like handing out dollars when it's not necessary!

I can tell you that I, for one, wouldn't dream of tipping housekeeping for a unit I kept clean myself all week! That's absurd!!! I have tipped for housekeeping coming out to bring fresh sheets to replace sheets that had been spilled on. I would not tip to have them bring the amount of towels that should have been there in the first place. I would tip to have them indulge me on an unusual amount of towels or pillows.

When I stay in a resort that has daily housekeeping, I tip the housekeeper the standard $1 per person. I leave the tip each day, because the housekeepers change from day to day (usually). When I stay at a resort where I do the housekeeping, I do not leave a tip. As you stated, it is the resort's responsibility to provide clean rooms. I am not a messy person however so the housekeeper would only have standard cleaning to perform after I leave. If a bellhop carries my bags, I tip $1 per bag per trip ($1 per bag to the room and $1 per bag leaving the room). If I share a meal, I tip as if I had purchased two full meals. Tipping can be an expensive venture, and no one should feel cheap at attempting to find out what and how others accomplish tipping! Have fun and save up the dollar bills!:D :D :D

I agree with the above. When staying at a timeshare with no daily housekeeping, I generally don't tip unless some extra or special service was given.
My annual maintenance fee statements breakdown all the expenses. So I know exactly how
much I'm paying for housekeeping services. It's enough that I don't feel an additional tip is necessary.
I always leave the unit in very good shape. However, if I ever did leave it a bit messy I would probably leave some sort of tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter