tipping

Being a tight midlander, I am finding all this tipping a little over my head and as it our first trip not only to WDW but also the USA, we do not know what to expect.

We will be on the DDP so we know that tipping is expected on the table service, where they will also work work out your tip for you on the bottom of the bill (albeit at 18% apparantly). But do you tip at counter service meals? Are you actually served at these meals or do you sort yourself out?

I have no problem with tipping but do not want to fall into the trap of 1st timer paying way over the odds and also not paying enough.

I always tip as expected unless sevice etc. is totally rubbish, then I would reduce accordingly. You should not feel embarassed about it as it is a way of life in usa.

I think you just need to factor the cost into your overall holiday budget! and then not give it a second thought ( as your hard earned cash leaves your palm faster than the speed of light:lmao:)

we always leave a daily $2 tip for maid in a special mousekeeping envelope - the kids enjoy this so we do it. but,they should do their job regardless!

I understand why people want to thank others for good service - but I do think there could be a better way than giving money - I just find it very uncomfortable.

Again why do I feel obligated to tip my hairdresser and not my physiotherapist - the latter has probably provided me with much more personal service.

Forgive me for asking, but are you the person who posted in another thread that you only take the baggage you and your family can carry, so you don't have to tip bell boys?

Interesting...the only place in life where I have left a low tip was also LTT.

Our waitress seemed much more interested in the tables around us and disappeared for long times. I had ordered the vegetarian meal which she didn't bring, only leaving the family style platter. We didn't see he again until she came to gather the dirty dishes. We reminded her of the meal, telling her we no longer required it. She didn't say sorry at all, just are you sure you don't want it!!!!

I left a very low tip and spoke to the manager on the way out who insisted on refunding my whole meal. I didn't want this as I had eaten about my own weight in rolls and salad!!!:rotfl:

I like the idea of sending the chef a drink! I had never thought of that. My husband occassionally specifies that an extra tip goes to the chef, probably doesn't get it??

But do you tip at counter service meals? Are you actually served at these meals or do you sort yourself out?

Counter service meals are the same as going into a fast food restaurant/fish and chip shop over here so you aren't expected to tip.

I think there is a problem with this sort of thread, firstly i always leave a tip for my service in full service restaurants and always leave a few dollars when i pay the tab after a few drinks, having said that i do regard it as my personal choice whether it is expected or the norm in the US i dont care, it is my holiday and will behave as i want. Newbies who have not travelled to florida before could very likely be panicking about the correct protocols re tipping, my advice is dont worry , just do whatever you feel appropropriate, it is not a case of ' when in Rome ' because i am sure that not all US citizens tip at 15%, 18% or 20%. We pay alot for our holidays and contribute greatly to the Floridian Economy, we continued to travel by air even in difficult times, the same cannot be said for travel to this side of the pond. Just relax and enjoy been in the greatest travel destination in the world.

i do regard it as my personal choice whether it is expected or the norm in the US i dont care, it is my holiday and will behave as i want. Newbies who have not travelled to florida before could very likely be panicking about the correct protocols re tipping, my advice is dont worry , just do whatever you feel appropropriate

Perfect advice. :thumbsup2

Forgive me for asking, but are you the person who posted in another thread that you only take the baggage you and your family can carry, so you don't have to tip bell boys?

Yes that's me!! But it's not actually for that reason - my hubby hates waiting at the luggage carousel - likes a quick getaway to the car hire! And there's also the danger of it getting lost (that caused a big problem for my son on his honeymoon)

But if we did take loads of luggage - say 2 pieces each - that would be $14 each tip and from what I understand it's not just one person who deals with luggage and you're supposed to tip each one - that would mount up pretty quickly.

OT I'm always amazed at the amount some people take with them - huge suitcases piled high on the trolley - we only seem to need a few t shiirts, shorts and swimsuits - sorted!

I'm entering in this debate again for two reasons:)

One, I've often wondered (anywhere in the world) how the chefs themselves get 'tipped' - whilst the waiters/resses are bringing the food to you, we tip them, but what about the people who actually prepare and cook the food. So thank you, for answering that question:thumbsup2

Secondly, as you've seen by my previous answer, we do tip. The one person you're expected to tip that I've always found curious is the barman. Why is it the done thing to give him a dollar per round/drink (can't remember which):confused:. I guess it's the same as "have one for yourself" over here, but would never do that!

Oh it's all so complicated!!

Servers are paid below minimum wage by many US employers (not sure what the case is with Disney) because it's considered a tipped position and they're taxed on the basis that they make up a certain percentage of their pay with tips. Housekeeping are paid at least minimum wage, therefore tipping them is a personal choice. I wonder if those who are being so judgemental of others not tipping them tip everyone on minimum wage or not much more who performs a service for them: General cleaners, childcare workers, school assistants (class and lunchtime), fast food workers... Just a few off the top of my head!
I don't think what someone has paid for a holiday is really an issue... Who's to say how long and hard they saved and/or how tight their spending budget is?

Personally we tip what we feel is appropriate for the service that we have received.

We have also been to restaurants where they have given us a card "reminding" us that they want a tip. This is usually at places where I have felt the service to be below par, therefore we have left a 5c coin or something.

We usually stay in a villa so we don't have to tip the maid, but last year when we stayed in a hotel we didn't even think about tipping them. Personally I expect my room to be cleaned to an appropriate standard, regardless of how much that person is getting paid to do so. If someone goes all out for the extra service then yes, but not for just doing their job. I don't get tipped for being polite at work and showing people where items are in the shop etc, because that is my job.

i am in the tip what you feel happy with camp.
housekeeping look after you every single day not just once like in a restuarant (just my opinion). we have allways gone with $1 a day pp. i think we have been sold a line on the %'s why would you tip the waiter more for bringing a $400 bottle of wine rather a $20 bottle did he do 20 times more work?
we were handed a card saying how much to tip in a sizzler on 192 back in 1999 wouldnt go their again and i remember saying to my wife that the girl the previous night was more pleasant and helpful and had done almost the same amount of work and didnt expect a tip.

dave rachel and the girls

I started this thread and am very interested in its content thus far. My wife and I are both nurses and work hard as I am sure do other people in their jobs. We don't get tips but are well paid. I will tip in this country and others for good service but not for poor service or if I have a tipping card pushed under my nose. Strangely I tip housekeeping in the US but not here. I don't think the cost of the holiday should matter when it comes to tipping. When it comes to tips over a 2 week break it can number several hundred dollars. I don't begrudge tips but as I have said before only for good service.:cool1:

In all my previous visits, I never have had a tip card placed under my nose.

If you are a sever on a very low basic wage and rely on tips and you are taxed in advance on your estimated earnings and you do the best you can for your customer, give excellent service and that customer doesn't leave you a tip, how would you feel?

I started this thread and am very interested in its content thus far. My wife and I are both nurses and work hard as I am sure do other people in their jobs. We don't get tips but are well paid. I will tip in this country and others for good service but not for poor service or if I have a tipping card pushed under my nose. Strangely I tip housekeeping in the US but not here. I don't think the cost of the holiday should matter when it comes to tipping. When it comes to tips over a 2 week break it can number several hundred dollars. I don't begrudge tips but as I have said before only for good service.:cool1:

I always tend to chip in on tipping threads because I would really like to see an honest discussion on the merits / faults of a 'tipping' society.

Some cultures don't expect any form of tipping - New Zealand, China for example and they seem to get on fine - my aunt lives in New Zealand and says the service in restaurants there is great.

I think these 2 articles sum up my thoughts about tipping better than I could express here:-

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...esult&ct=result&resnum=3#v=onepage&q=&f=false

and

http://randazza.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/against-tipping/

I would like to live in a society where everyone is paid at least the mimimum wage and is not reliant on handouts from the general public - perhaps I am too idealistic - but then again it works in New Zealand!

In all my previous visits, I never have had a tip card placed under my nose.

If you are a sever on a very low basic wage and rely on tips and you are taxed in advance on your estimated earnings and you do the best you can for your customer, give excellent service and that customer doesn't leave you a tip, how would you feel?

When you get your bill at at Disney restaurant there are two lines if I remember rightly, one for an 18% tip and one for a 20% tip - isn't this something placed to indicate that you should tip either 18 or 20%.

My thoughts are that no-one should be paid less than mimimum wage and therefore this situation should never arise.

When you get your bill at at Disney restaurant there are two lines if I remember rightly, one for an 18% tip and one for a 20% tip - isn't this something placed to indicate that you should tip either 18 or 20%.

yeah they did last september at Cystal Palace and Beaches and Cream. (Only places we ate TS at)

Yes that's me!! But it's not actually for that reason - my hubby hates waiting at the luggage carousel - likes a quick getaway to the car hire! And there's also the danger of it getting lost (that caused a big problem for my son on his honeymoon)

But if we did take loads of luggage - say 2 pieces each - that would be $14 each tip and from what I understand it's not just one person who deals with luggage and you're supposed to tip each one - that would mount up pretty quickly.

OT I'm always amazed at the amount some people take with them - huge suitcases piled high on the trolley - we only seem to need a few t shiirts, shorts and swimsuits - sorted!

I agree there, last year we took two large cases, for the four of us and included medical equipment for my son and managed. Got it into my wife's head, that there is laundry equipment in the hotel and things called shops where you can buy toiletries. Amazing the space you save if you only take whats needed. One year, she had packed her hairdryer, toilet rolls about ten pairs of shoes - unbelievable really.

I agree there, last year we took two large cases, for the four of us and included medical equipment for my son and managed. Got it into my wife's head, that there is laundry equipment in the hotel and things called shops where you can buy toiletries. Amazing the space you save if you only take whats needed. One year, she had packed her hairdryer, toilet rolls about ten pairs of shoes - unbelievable really.

I pack everything I need for a two week vacation into an everyday backpack - and it's usually half full. Toiletries are just as cheap out there; laundry costs less than $5 for a wash and dry so just shove it in when we're at the pool one afternoon. It also reduces the volume of washing that needs to be done when you return.

My family pack stupid amounts; four or five pairs of shoes, towels, hairdriers, books etc. Totally unnecessary. We travel by public transport so backpacks are perfect.

why did your wife only pack enough shoes for a long weekend?
:rotfl:
dave rachel and the girls

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter