Tips for drive from Northern Va to Windsor Hills

mom2clr

Mouseketeer
I am driving from northern Virginia to Windsor Hills in August.

My plan is to drive straight there (I’ve done (1) 9hr drive before so figured adding another 3.5 shouldn’t make a difference with planned breaks). I will be breaking up the trip on the way back as odds are we will be exhausted from our time there (17 nights, Disney, Universal and local attractions).

So, my question is, what things should I make sure to have on this drive? The 9hr drive was a straight round trip on 95 to pick up my DDs from their dad’s so my only stop was in DE, then NJ then DE again on way back. There wasn’t any need to plan/pack.

DDs are 13 and 10. IPads, chargers, cooler. Stopping every 3hrs or so.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You have the essentials. The only things I can think of is pre-trip.

1) About a week before the trip, have your car serviced. Oil change (if it's that time), brakes looked at, etc. You don't want a breakdown on the road.

2) If you have WiFi in your car or unlimited data on your phone, install Waze on your phone. That will alert you to any traffic problems up the road. You might be able to find an alternative route.

3) Definitely install the iExit app on your phone. That shows all the restaurants, gas stations and rest areas along your route.

4) I'm only semi-joking here. Talk to your neighbors, and ask them to not cut their lawns the night before you leave. Seems like every time we want to get an early start on our travels, our neighbors decide to cut their lawns the night before.

We have driven straight through from Bethesda a few times and the drive is usually closer to 15 hours with stops. Just want you to be prepared for a potentially longer drive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter