To all Parents of kids with ADHD

In Luv with Disney

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I am just wondering if anyone has kids with ADHD. (I am SURE there are!!!)

My son, Nathaniel, who just turned 5 and has it. He is at the point where the doctor says he NEEDS medication in order to function in his classroom (he's in Kindergarten). He really isn't doing well in school...he needs constant supervision all day. But he IS making friends, which I am happy about! (although he won't think twice about knocking over their buildings when they are playing :confused3 )

As far as meds, the doctor wants to try RITLIN, but I have heard such TERRIBLE things about it. I want to do my research and see what drugs other people have success with. She doesn't want to try Aderall, because she says it can cause heart problems according to a recent study.

This is such a trying time for me and my family (*my poor little guy :sad2: ). I just want to do the right thing and I don't want his personality to change once he goes on meds!!!! It will be a very difficult decision.

So...if anyone has any opinions on the matter, I am open to hearing EVERYTHING anyone has to say.

Thanks in Advance.

P.S. in addition to ADHD, the teachers and phychologists in his school think he may have Aspergers, too! It's the lack of social skills, among other things that give them this opinion.

Does your child have an in class aid in order to assist him with his day? DD was diagnosed with ADHD (severe/profound) at age 4 and having the aid helped so much. She is now 9, ADHD has been reassessed as mild/borderline and she now functions quite well in class without any sort of support/aid (she is an A/B student).

She has never been medicated but takes karate, yoga and plays a lot of sports. She also had years of social skills classes as well as behavioural therapy. We feel that medicating a child is a very personal issues, but for us, we tried many other avenues and never had to medicate. Read as much as you can about Ritalin before you make a decision. I read so much about it (especially scientific articles since I have a BSc) and the article that turned me off most was in a study where cocaine and ritalin were used interchangeably.

DD at one time saw a naturalpath and was on a few supplements (fish oils, vitamin B, calucium/magnesium, a very good multi vitamin) so perhaps you could consider that avenue as well.

Good luck with your decision.

My son has ADHD and has Aspergers. He is in the 1st grade. We had the same problems last year. :sad2: What doctor told you he needs meds? Was it a Psychiatrist or your Ped? We put DS6 on meds. before we knew that he had Aspergers with poor results. He was so sensitive to the addreall and ritalin. They eventually made hims fall to pieces. He was filled with rage and the drugs had difficult side effects. It was just wrong for him. These meds. do work for other people just not us. We went to a neurophycologist for a full evaluation. They only picked up on the ADHD and mood regulation issues. We went to a great Psychologist he he diagnosed him with ADHD with Aspergers. Everything started to make sense, the sensory, impulse and social issues. The Psych. explained that Aspie kids can be very sensitive to medication. He suggested a medication called Tenex. It is a blood pressure med. that helps with impulse control. As far as we have been told there are very few small side effects. My son had improved greatly. He is still difficult but he is less frustrated. He is much happier so that makes me happy. This is so hard and I was really scared. DS has been on Tenex for 3 months, so this is still so new to us.
I do think that it is strange that any doctor would tell you that your son needs Med.That would make me nervous. There are many different routes people can and do take. The meds. are working for us but they are only a small bandaid. We have a lot of work to do with DS. Always work with the best people. We had a really bad Dr. at the begining and it just made things worse. Read and do research. You get to choose the people who interact with your son. I am still in the begining stages of all this. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Many towns will have spec. Ed forums and groups that can help you. I went to a seminar on neurophyc. exams and that got me to my great Psych. Good luck to you and your little guy. You WILL figure everything out and come to peace with all of this. :goodvibes
Tara

My dd is 10 and was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 4. She does need to be medicated because without it she really couldn't function very well in school. We once had a teacher (who had never seen my daughter off her medicine) ask me if she really needed the medicine. One day we were rushing out the door and forgot her medicine. The teacher said she saw why she needed it now. To medicate your child should not be taken lightly, it was a difficult desicion for us but I knew it was what I felt best for our dd. I have seen some children who do fine without the medicine then I have seen those that really could use it and are suffering because their parents feel that it is wrong to medicate a child. You must decide for yourself what is best. Now to answer your question about what medicine, we have tried quite a few to find the best with the least side effects. Adderall, Concerta, and the new Daytrana didn't work. Ritalin did work but she had to take a second dose at school (YUCH) so we tried Ritalin LA which is the long acting and it worked well but we switched about a year ago to Focalin XR because it is Ritalin without some of the harsh ingredients that are not needed. Because of this you can use a lower dose with the same results. We really like it and other than slowing her down a bit she still seems like her normal self whereas some meds didn't. Hope all goes well and if you have any questions you can pm me.

Hello,
My DD is 10 and has been on Ritalin for 3 years. It makes a huge difference in school and she now gets excellent grades and does just fine. It's practically a non-issue now. Many people were against it at the beginning but we tried the medicine in small doses and saw an immediate improvement. I'm glad we did. She's much happier and so are we. Best wishes for your family!

My best friend's little guy - just turned 6 - had a nightmare year in school last year.

He exhibits some ADHD, Autism, and Tourette's behaviours....but nothing is really identifying itself clearly.

They decided to have him repeat his Kindergarten year...and he was still really struggling this last month.

A 3 week "blind trial" was suggested to her, by her pediatric intervention team.

Ritalin, Dexedrine, and a placebo.

She started him on it this past Saturday morning.
She doesn't know which one he is getting each week. (but she had to take the gel capsule apart to get the meds into him, and discovered today that he's probably on the Dexedrine this week :blush: )

...and he's the same little boy she knows and loves, and all of a sudden, can participate in class, isn't hiding under his desk anymore, sleeping better at night, and told his mother today that he "didn't know school could be that fun, mommy!!"

As much as it's difficult to know what to do, as a parent...as my best friend cried today, she "wishes they had tried this last year".

You know, you do the best you know how, and the best your instincts tell you.

DH and I wonder and hope every day - we know the time is coming to think about meds for our little guys - that we're doing the right thing...we know we're doing the best we know how, for today.

Hugs, :grouphug: , and good luck:)

:sunny:

mbb said:
A 3 week "blind trial" was suggested to her, by her pediatric intervention team.

Ritalin, Dexedrine, and a placebo.
One of my sisters did the same thing with my niece at the suggestion of her doctor (but I think they only did Ritalin and the placebo). The school and the parents kept a diary of what they were seeing. As it turned out, my niece figured out which was the Ritalin because she could tell the difference in her concentration. She said that math made sense where it just seemed to jumble together before. She, her mom and the teachers worked on some techniques to help her deal with the ADD and she actually chose to go off the medication when she was a teen. She's now in her 20s and doing very well.

This is all just SO confusing for me! I really don't know which avenue to take.

We have been taking him to Schneider's Children's Hospital for 2 years. They have a BEHAVIORAL AND DEVELOPMENTAL DIVISION that is supposedly the best in New York. As of our last appointment, the psychologist said she thought meds would be a good idea. I said "No" at that point, because I at least wanted to wait until he started Kindergarten. I wanted to see how he would do in school.

He is in an INCLUSION class, but does not have an "AID" specifically for him. I think I need to request another CSE meeting and request a bunch of stuff...we had our last meeting in June. I want them to approve an AID for him, if they feel that will help. Right now, there is a full time teacher and a full time assistant in the class and the assistant is basically spending ALL of her time with my son. He needs CONSTANT supervision. He also spends 20-25 minutes in the Resource Room with two other kids. He does seem to do better with fewer children around (his class has 22 kids and I think it is WAY too much stimulation for him!) In addition to the AID I would like to get, I would also like them to recommend and supply BEHAVIORAL therapy, possibly in a group setting. I just started taking him to a Social Worker/Psychologist (or Psychotherapist...not sure of her exact title) but it's one on one and she doesn't only deal with kids, she deals with all people, all issues. But she has had her share of ADHD kids. I would ALSO love to get some Behavioral Therapy for MYSELF! I am at wits end here, and I feel like I am just yelling all the time and it's not helping ANYONE.

*sigh* I am just so lost. Thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate it.

If you want a consult with an amazing psychiatrist on Long Island, I can ask mine if he would be willing to take on another patient.

I dont think he takes insurance but his case load is really small. He listens better than any psychiatrist I've ever met and he understands things from both the child and the parent's perspective. He is extremely conservative and careful and I have been seeing him for 6 years at this point... He wouldn't push meds just because "it's his job". I no longer live on long Island (grad student) and he is the only person I would EVER trust to handle my brain (my life is way too important for some doctor to "play games" with it).

PM me if you want more info

Kim- I think that many of us feel lost. I am chasing my own tail here. There are so many ups and downs and it seems like I am always trying something new or waiting for our next appt. to see someone. Time has helped a little. I can tell you that my son has made many improvements in school (DS7 ADHD and AS) from last year. Kindergarten was a nightmare. :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: He is still really difficult for me but he can handle himself better a school. It sounds like you are working with some good people. Good luck to you and your son.
Tara :wave:

Hi, I'm Natalie and I too have a son with ADD. He is almost 7 and in the first grade. I won't go through our whole story, I'll just say that his currently taking concerta. I know medication isn't for everyone and I can't tell you how many nights I prayed that medicine wouldn't be for my son either. I can only tell you that it has completely changed my son's ability to be successful in school.

We had a similar "does he really need it?" conversation with his teacher this year. I really encouraged her to talk to his teacher from last year as his medicine was started in the middle of the school year. Two days later, I forgot to give him his meds before school. His teacher called by noon, "Oh yes, you were right, he NEEDs it".

It can be overwhelming. Read everything you can, ask and ask and ask, until all of your questions are answered. The bottom line for us came when his Kindergarten teacher told us how frustrated she was that he may have to go to summer school. She told us she knew he grasped the material but he couldn't focus long enough to pass the simplest tests. Back to the Dr. we went. He suggested that we try the medicine for a week, it would either make a significant difference or it wouldn't. Four weeks later, my son was off the summer school list, out of his two-to-one intervention, making friends and passing tests. He was happier. That's really what mattered to us.

I have a question for some of the other parents here. My son has, always, since birth, been a terrible sleeper. It absolutely astonishes me how little sleep he gets. His sleep patterns remain consistent on or off his meds. An example might be... up at six AM, day spent riding bikes, swimming 3 hrs in a pool, jumping on the trampoline, etc... bed at 9:30, and bouncing off the walls by 6 the next morning. Anyone else have a ADD kid that can't seem to get the sleep he needs?

My dd is exactly the same. She also has seizures and takes medicine that doesn't help the situation either. I finally talked to her neurologist because I could tell that she was tired and grumpy but she just couldn't seem to get much sleep. He suggested taking a supplement found over the counter called Melatonin. It is what our body naturally produces and they have found that some children with ADHD produce less melatonin so it is harder for them to go to sleep and stay asleep. We tried it and it has been wonderful! I can tell that she is more rested and less grouchy. I decided to try it because it was something our body naturally produces and not some harmful medicine and it is not habit forming because it is natural. You might want to check into it and ask your doctor. Hope that helps, you can pm if you have any questions.

In Luv with Disney said:
This is all just SO confusing for me! I really don't know which avenue to take.

We have been taking him to Schneider's Children's Hospital for 2 years. They have a BEHAVIORAL AND DEVELOPMENTAL DIVISION that is supposedly the best in New York. As of our last appointment, the psychologist said she thought meds would be a good idea. I said "No" at that point, because I at least wanted to wait until he started Kindergarten. I wanted to see how he would do in school.

That sounds just like my DS now 16, starting at age 2, we knew something was wrong. He was kicked out of one daycare at age 5 and a MDO program after that. The MDO teacher though decided to give him a second chance and make him or project. She realized he just needed a little more attention. The Dr kept suggesting meds, but we were not ready. When Kinder started, 3 weeks in, the teacher sat us down and said it just was not working. I called the Dr. and started him on Ritalin, we (DH and teacher) could not believe what a different child he was. The next year we found out he is AS, and that is why he had such difficulty in daycare from day one.

mcraft17 said:
My dd is exactly the same. She also has seizures and takes medicine that doesn't help the situation either. I finally talked to her neurologist because I could tell that she was tired and grumpy but she just couldn't seem to get much sleep. He suggested taking a supplement found over the counter called Melatonin. It is what our body naturally produces and they have found that some children with ADHD produce less melatonin so it is harder for them to go to sleep and stay asleep. We tried it and it has been wonderful! I can tell that she is more rested and less grouchy. I decided to try it because it was something our body naturally produces and not some harmful medicine and it is not habit forming because it is natural. You might want to check into it and ask your doctor. Hope that helps, you can pm if you have any questions.

My daughter takes Seroquel, she had the same difficultys sleeping and was so grumpy and uncooperative in the day. We knew since day light savings she just had not adjusted back to a regular sleep pattern (Melatonin was no longer working). Since the DR. switched her from Geodon to Seroquel she has been a different child.

Thanks so much for the info regarding the sleep deprivation. I've spent most of the morning reading articles on the melatonin and other medicines you've mentioned. I'll try to talk to my Dr. today.

Because I've noticed limited sleep patterns in Chase since birth, I've often wondered which came first, the chicken or the egg (the sleep disorder or the ADD). I'm anxious to try anything that might give him the restful sleep he needs.

I am an adult, diagnosed at about age 50. Ritalin has been a godsend. I have no doubt that my life would have been totally different had I had the drug as a child. It's taken me a while to get over the anger over my 'lost potential'. But then there was no such thing as ADD back in the 50's.

I thank EVERYONE who has responded here. As of now, I still don't know what I am going to do. I might try to change his diet for the next month to see if that works. I have an interesting article my neighbor cut out for me, saying that ADHD is misdiagnosed a lot of the time. Usually there is a vitamin deficiency of Omega 6. And the article also said to stay away from artifical sweetners (aspartame, etc) and also certain food dyes.

Hey, it's worth a shot. :confused3

My DS 11 is ADHD, Anxiety Disorder and NVLD (non verbal learning disorder - similar to Aspergers). He has been on several different meds since he was 6 but we have found that Concerta works the best for him. He can not focus in school without some help. We were totally against meds but it was the last alternative for us and it has made a world of difference. We can always tell if his meds were forgotten b/c he gets extremely hyper and loud. For now, it's working and i pray that eventually he will be able to stop at some point. I am sure you will do what is best for your child!!:grouphug:

In Luv with Disney said:
I thank EVERYONE who has responded here. As of now, I still don't know what I am going to do. I might try to change his diet for the next month to see if that works. I have an interesting article my neighbor cut out for me, saying that ADHD is misdiagnosed a lot of the time. Usually there is a vitamin deficiency of Omega 6. And the article also said to stay away from artifical sweetners (aspartame, etc) and also certain food dyes.

Hey, it's worth a shot. :confused3

I have to agree. I spent a great deal of time really searching for the right answers for my son. There are still times where I'm not completely convinced that ADD is the root of Chases issues. My armchair diagnosis would probably be a sleep disorder. Sleep disorders are one of the things that are commonly misdiagnosed as ADD. I will continue to look for other answers.

For Chase, right now, medicine works. He was really struggling both academically and socially (poor impulse control) in school before medication. My husband and I went to his first parent/teacher conference this year. His teacher told us that he was working at or above grade level in all of his subjects, was making friends and had even received a "kindness towards classmates" award. I can't describe the feeling. My husband and I left the school in a semi state of surprise. When we reached the car, tears were rolling down my face.

Try anything and everything that might make a difference. Something will help. I tend to think of his medicine as something to relieve the symptoms and buy me time while I still look for other answers. Good luck and remember that you are not alone.

My older son Sammy, 7, is ADHD. I've known since he was about 2 that he has it. (I have ADHD and was on ritillin (sp?) as a kid for several years, I'm not on meds anymore, haven't been since I was 12 or so. I've learned to function well enough w/out.) Sammy's on meds, Focalin right now. It seems to be doing good by him. He can't function in school w/out the meds, and with them he's been getting As and Bs in class! At a recent parent-teacher meeting his teachers told me that he is a bright, engaging and delightful child!

My younger son, Vinny, has autism and may be showing signs of ADHD as well (not uncommon I'm told). We're waiting to see, there is a good chance a lot of Vinny's ADHD like behavior is simple emulation of his big brother's behavior. Hopefully that's the case.

In Sammy's case we tried diet modification and such before he was "officially" diagnosed and put on meds. Didn't really work for him. It helped a little and there are certain foods we avoid, esp. before focus is needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter