To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Great trip report! It was so nice to meet you, Steph, and G at the meetup. If G liked the Harry Potter stuff in California she'd probably enjoy Universal in Orlando. The two lands are really immersive, plus the train ride between is fun. And the food is (a bit) better!

I'm so sorry about your MIL. I know that's got to be hard. Your family will be in my thoughts.

Great trip report. Sorry the 5k ended up not being as enjoyable for you and G. The Halloween party is super fun so I totally understand wanting to go back. We’re planning on taking our 4 year old for the first time this year. He LOVES Halloween, so it’ll be fun. We did a Halloween Disney cruise last year and he had a blast.

Also sorry to hear about your MIL. Thinking of you and your family.

Thanks! We're aiming to go back in October for the Halloween party. When do you all plan on going?

Also wanted to ask - have you and G considered hitting up a convention near you? Since she likes to cosplay, that could be super fun for her. And a great place to get ideas for future costumes!

Yes, but haven't done it yet. A few come to Madison each year, and it's something we'll consider when they come up.

Not for cars. We hiked up there, I think on the Hollyridge trail or Brush Canyon Trail

Gotcha. Maybe something to try next time.

At this point, I would hold off another year or so and wait until Epic Universe opens next summer. It seems like UH is just a taste of the six-course meal that is going to be at Epic.

This is a really good point.

It was wonderful finally meeting you and your family. Loved hearing G give her opinions on different rides and experiences. Those were her early thoughts, curious to hear what she thinks now that she's had time to digest.

Thanks! I would say her opinions are much the same as they were at the meetup.

Great job hitting up so much in SoCal! We still haven't done Universal Studios with the kids yet. Would you say G enjoyed the WB backlot experience more than DL? Does the Volume in Manhattan Beach also do a tour? It would be interesting to compare the two - one is old school with great set design and the other is basically high tech green screen. Highly recommend Abbott Elementary, it's family friendly - more like Parks and Rec than The Office.

I think she enjoyed DL and Warner Bros for different reasons. If you made her choose, then I suspect she'd choose DL only because of the larger number of things you can do over multiple days. But the WB is a good half-day thing, and she really loved it.

I don't know anything about Volume in Manhattan Beach. A quick google makes it seem like visits are client focused and not public focused.

Saw the Maui hook in the HM corral and recognized you but got too shy to say hi. Figured you would be mentally preparing for a fast run vs my slow pace.

You all... Seriously, you don't need to be too shy to say hi to me. Especially you. We've been working together for YEARS! And I'm not mentally preparing. I'm chatting it up with others around me and staying loose.

I went here on my last day (a different location, though). The food was PHENOMENAL. We went in the morning and it wasn't very busy. I got a spinach and cheese empanada and ate it the next day at work and I wish I had bought 10. Also a churro croissant that I ate on the plane that was messy but worth every bite.

Good to confirmation that non-peak hours can be a better experience.

Is G a fan of Dinosaur in AK? I believe the ride vehicle mechanics are the same, but IJ might be a bit jerkier. I like this ride SORT of, but I don't like things that pop out at me so sometimes this ride makes me nervous from the standpoint of like, what's going to be around that corner?

She's never ridden it, but I suspect outside the ride vehicle experience, it's a little scary and she probably wouldn't like it. But after IJ, it's pretty confirmatory she wouldn't like Dinosaur at all.

Ollivander picked me in 2010! Except I was a 20 year old adult :rotfl:

I forgot to mention that there was a 20 yr old girl in our group of guests as well, and you could tell she was visibly upset when G got picked and not her. Steph got picked when we went on our honeymoon in 2010.

It's like it was designed just for Wisconsinites.

Badgers_Badgers.gif

You guys definitely had a better day on Monday than my grandma and I did at Knott’s!

Was Knott's not worth it? I haven't read through your recap yet. I'm so behind on the DIS with everything going on.

Great recap of your entire trip. Seems like you did a really great job of packing as much as you could into the trip. We never left DL property which was a mistake considering how much longer it takes us to get out to CA than FL. Hard to break the mentality of wanting to stay in the bubble. My husband didn't even like the walk from DTD to the staging area.

Thanks! Yea, I'm not sure we would have enjoyed the CA trip as much if we had stayed exclusively in the Disney bubble. Doable in WDW, but didn't feel like DL was a multi-day experience. Maybe 2.5 days total for the two parks.

G sure does seem like she's fit for LA or NYC. Now that she's participating in theater has there been any interest in going to see some shows in Chicago or NYC? Maybe you've already done that and I missed it.

I can't remember if she's been to a show in Chicago. Yes to Madison. Definitely not NYC because she hasn't been there yet. She almost got casted in a traveling broadway some years ago, but she just missed out. But I looked into going to more theater performances because she enjoyed Lion King and Christmas Carol recently.

Great trip report! It was so nice to meet you, Steph, and G at the meetup. If G liked the Harry Potter stuff in California she'd probably enjoy Universal in Orlando. The two lands are really immersive, plus the train ride between is fun. And the food is (a bit) better!

Thanks! Definitely think it might be something we try when Epic Universe opens. That's true about Orlando, because doesn't it have two HP lands split over the current parks. But is the other ride a roller coaster (like Hagrids, and then is there a bank vault ride?).

Was Knott's not worth it? I haven't read through your recap yet. I'm so behind on the DIS with everything going on.
I haven’t even finished my recap through the 5K yet, let alone Knott’s 🙃🙃 Since it was a school holiday on Monday, every teenager in the area was at Knott’s, and most of the adults too. The wait times quickly ballooned to 2+ hours for everything. And their skip-the-line pass would’ve cost more than the ticket and unlimited food and drink passes combined.

For your family in particular, it’s super heavy on the coasters, so G would‘t have much to do, and even I got a bit motion sick on the one coaster I managed to do before the lines got crazy, so I don’t know how much fun you would have either.

Thanks! We're aiming to go back in October for the Halloween party. When do you all plan on going?

Not sure yet - probably on the weekend so we can try to get him to nap (or at least have quiet time) beforehand, and probably whatever dates are cheapest. :) Even with a nap he probably won’t stay up later than 10:30, but as long as he makes it to the parade and fireworks I’ll call it a win.

Amphibia Costumes: Anne in Calamity Form and Darcy - Blue Sky Plans

Alright, with the Disneyland trip recap finished, it's time to move onto the next project. G had an incredible time dressing up as Mike and Marty Wazowski during the Not So Scary Halloween Party in October 2023. So it didn't take long for her to come up with some new ideas for what she'd like to do next. She continues to push the envelope with what we've been capable of in our cosplay adventure. We've learned how to work with simple LEDs with single CR2032 batteries with Scarlet Witch, we improved our foam skills with Ms Marvel and Shang-Chi, we increased our brightness with the 352/m LED and learned sound effects and learned how to sew with the Monsters Inc costumes. So I bit my lip as I asked her what she has in mind for our next adventure.

Cleaning the space
Before we can get started with the Amphibia Costumes, it was time to clean up the basement from the previous projects. I've also been spending a lot of time on G's Escape Room 10th birthday party. So with those things wrapped up, this was a good time to clean the space, reorganize, and get things ready for the next adventure.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 6.43.40 PM.png

The family got me a sewing table for Christmas. I paired it with G's completely impractical kid's ping pong table.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 6.42.57 PM.png

We finally remembered why the large old table wouldn't disassemble to add in more leafs. Turns out we put some screws in that secured in for the move back in 2018. We put the plush carpet along the long edges for nice places to stand.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 7.07.56 PM.png

Lastly was the addition of a hobby hood that can vent outside. The ruler is 18 inches for reference. This will be useful for soldering and even more so for the new airbrush paint system that G got for Christmas.

Anne in Calamity Form

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 6.42.22 PM.png

So this is Anne. In Amphibia, she's been sucked through a portal into the land of amphibians. At the very end of the series, she goes into her final form, Calamity, in order to save her friends. So this is what G would like to recreate. Let's go into the blue sky ideas that we're going to try to bring this cartoon character to life.

-Bright blue glowing hair.
-All of the blue accents within the armor should glow.
-The cape should glow blue.
-Armor is made of foam but is painted to look like real metal.
-Sew the entire dress ourselves.
-Giant blue tennis racket that fully glows, including the strings.
-The costume needs to look as amazing during the day as much as at night.

I think it's pretty clear where her mind is at. We loved the Wazowski costumes, but they were A+ costumes at day and D costumes at night. There just wasn't as much flash. So she wants to create a costume that looks like real gold armor during the day, but when it comes nighttime she glows bright blue just like Anne in her Calamity form. For my DragonBall fans, think Super Saiyan Goku.

For the hair, we're going to use the same 352/m LEDs. The drawback is that it requires a large 8 AA battery to run. So we found some waistbands meant for passports that can hold the battery packs around her waist. Still undecided on how to make the leaves and sticks glow colors other than blue. But we'll cross that bridge once we get into it.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 6.44.43 PM.png

The giant tennis racket will be an interesting build. The piece will be made out of plastazote (transparent foam), need to find something to make it more rigid than Maui's hook, and light it up with a programmable LED strip. Possibly add in some light effects instead of static blue. The strings will be made from EL Wire (like we used for Shang-Chi rings).

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 6.44.55 PM.png

We did some playing around with preliminary cape design. But everything we came up with wasn't bright enough. So we had to choose. It could be bright and rigid, or less bright and flowy. She wants bright, so we get rigid with it.

The gloves will be built with a new to us product called Noods. They're like a cross between the EL wire and single LEDs.

The armor is going to be made out of regular EVA foam. We spent a lot of time researching options on how to make EVA foam look like metal. It came down to we probably needed to move away from acrylics with a paintbrush and instead work with airbrushing. We found a product recommended by Kamui Cosplay that simulates metal and doesn't crack/distort when flexed. We're going to do some test painting with it to find the look we're going for.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 6.44.30 PM.png

Lastly, G wants us to make the whole dress from scratch. I haven't done much with this quite yet, but I'm confident we'll come up with a plan.

Darcy

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 6.42.09 PM.png

This is Darcy. She's one of Anne's best friends. But her mind has been taken over by the Hive and she's become a villain. This is who G wants me to be. So let's see what G wants us to accomplish with this costume.

-#1 on the list is placing three LED screens in the helmet to make uncanny moving eyeballs.
-The horns should be big, bold, and beautiful.
-The armor should look like metal and be purple.
-Maybe some underglow along the armor edges to give it an extra look.
-Flame dagger with actual flame flicker made with programmable LEDs made of foam.

By far the biggest undertaking is trying to use the uncanny eyes program on Arduino. The hardest part will be that the options they already have for eyes aren't quite what G wants. So once we figure out how to run the program, then we need to figure out how to edit the images to match the cartoon Darcy helmet eyes.

We'll use the same airbrush kit for the armor. The same Noods but unlike Anne which will be on the outside of the costume, these Noods will be used as underglow and hidden underneath the costume. The cape for Darcy doesn't glow.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 6.43.59 PM.png

The flame dagger is small, but she wants it to look like a real flame at the end of the dagger.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 6.45.09 PM.png

So new things for us this time around:

-Programmable LEDs
-Airbrush Paint
-Programming uncanny LED eyes
-Glowing hair
-Sewing an entire dress

It's an ambitious project, but G's an ambitious kid. So wish us luck!

Next post -Anne's Hair - Part 1

Last edited:

I assume you've done the "Disney Costume Guidelines" assessment? These look very cool, even though I have no clue who they are!

I assume you've done the "Disney Costume Guidelines" assessment? These look very cool, even though I have no clue who they are!

Yes, for the guidelines I’m planning the following to conform to current rules.

-Both capes will stop at waist height.
-Darcy helmet will not cover my face.
-The horns of the Darcy helmet will be easily removable in case they have an issue with it.
-The costumes will be easily removable in general so G can ride rides if desired.
-The racket and dagger will have no sharp edges and won’t exceed the maximum size for a prop.

I can't wait to see how the new costumes come together. I think it's amazing how you all work to bring G's ideas to life.

Thanks! Definitely think it might be something we try when Epic Universe opens. That's true about Orlando, because doesn't it have two HP lands split over the current parks. But is the other ride a roller coaster (like Hagrids, and then is there a bank vault ride?).
Yep. The HP land in Universal's Islands of Adventure is, from what I can tell, very similar to the one you visited in California with the addition of a Hagrids motorcycle roller coaster (which I don't think they have in CA).

Then in the other park (Universal Studios Florida) there's Diagon Alley which has the bank ride as its only ride, but the whole area is Disney-level immersive with all the little shops and performers and things going on. USF also has a London streetfront with the Knight Bus and King's Cross Station where you can catch the train to Hogsmeade in the other park. It's really well done, including being able to walk through the wall at platform 9 3/4. The train ride is a different experience depending on whether you're going to or from Hogwarts.

Then it sounds like the new park will add a Ministry of Magic which should be super cool!

Also, I've never been to the California Universal park, so I can't compare, but the Harry Potter cast members in Florida are usually very in character as they interact with you, down to asking you to sign a piece of "parchment" when you have to sign a credit card slip. And there are witches and wizards wandering around to help you do spells too.

Sorry, that's probably way more info than you needed. :) It's been a while since I've been there and I think I'm talking myself into another trip!

I haven’t even finished my recap through the 5K yet, let alone Knott’s 🙃🙃 Since it was a school holiday on Monday, every teenager in the area was at Knott’s, and most of the adults too. The wait times quickly ballooned to 2+ hours for everything. And their skip-the-line pass would’ve cost more than the ticket and unlimited food and drink passes combined.

For your family in particular, it’s super heavy on the coasters, so G would‘t have much to do, and even I got a bit motion sick on the one coaster I managed to do before the lines got crazy, so I don’t know how much fun you would have either.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience!

I will say that I've always had great times at Knott's, albeit not going during peak busy seasons in a long time. Last time I was there (mid-week, September '22) it was practically deserted until the early afternoon.

I love the history, atmosphere, and attractions -- though I'm more partial to wandering the ghost town, visiting the blacksmith's shop, or riding the steam train vs. anything with very long lines.

For very little kids, Camp Snoopy is wonderfully fun. For adventurous teens/adults, there are some intense coasters. I do think that the less adventurous / tween demographic may be a bit less well-served, but there's still a lot to do. (Some parts of the park are dominated by massive coasters; others are more balanced).

Anyway, I just wanted to share a counter-point experience. If you do when it's not too crowded, I do think it can be a fun, slower-paced complement to Disney or Universal.

To me it just screams hidden mickey type situation. There's got to be a special code or something on one of these keypads. I thought "616", and tried a couple of other Marvel numbers but it didn't do anything best I could tell. Wasn't able to find anything on the internet even mentioning it. I feel like we can't be the only ones playing around with it. Anyone know anything?
When I was in Avengers Campus on Saturday after the 10K, they had a PhotoPass photographer there taking pictures. He just told everyone to press buttons so I'm not sure that it does anything. Unlike the assorted things you can do with the app in Galaxy's Edge, although I've yet to try any of those either for whatever reason.
Of course, her wand ended up having Unicorn hair in it. Good guess Mr. Olivander.
Well, they do say the wand chooses the witch or wizard. Not that it matters for you, but anyone chosen can choose to opt out of actually buying the wand presented to them or they can choose to get a different wand.

While I thought the wand choosing ceremony was fun, I give the nod to building a lightsaber in Galaxy's Edge. Yes, the cost is substantially more, but anyone who wants to build a lightsaber gets the full experience. My little sister says that she captured photographic evidence that I am capable of crying when I built my lightsaber.
If G liked the Harry Potter stuff in California she'd probably enjoy Universal in Orlando. The two lands are really immersive, plus the train ride between is fun.
I have not been to Universal Hollywood since 2013. I went to Universal Orlando in 2017 because of the larger Harry Potter experience and because at the time I thought it would be many years before I would return to Florida. Little did I know the marathon bug would soon bite me.

Sorry to hear about your mother in law. I hope that you be comforted by the legacy of love that she gives you and your family while you deal with the health challenges she currently faces.

It was great meeting you and your family at the meetup. I could certainly see G in her element as that very much matched with your recaps of her. Best of luck to her in pursuing her dreams.

I'm not sure I can fully express how much your help means to me, especially when you continued to rein me in during the past 3 months of my training. Suffice it to say, I was pretty drained emotionally and exhausted heading into the Disneyland Half Marathon after all the events of the past few months. In part because you kept patiently dialing me back and warning me about the risks of doing too much, I had a great deal more energy and freshness in my legs when I really needed it.

The train ride is a different experience depending on whether you're going to or from Hogwarts.
THIS IS IMPORTANT INFORMATION! First time DH and I visited after the second HP area opened, we took the train one way and decided to leave from the second park. We had no idea until later that it was different going back! I was super bummed because aside from Hagrid, that was my favorite attraction! d'oh!

Edit to add: We did go back and do the train both ways on another trip. :D

Last edited:
I can't wait to see how the new costumes come together. I think it's amazing how you all work to bring G's ideas to life.

Should be getting started on those soon now. She wants to start with Anne's glowing blue hair.

Yep. The HP land in Universal's Islands of Adventure is, from what I can tell, very similar to the one you visited in California with the addition of a Hagrids motorcycle roller coaster (which I don't think they have in CA).

Then in the other park (Universal Studios Florida) there's Diagon Alley which has the bank ride as its only ride, but the whole area is Disney-level immersive with all the little shops and performers and things going on. USF also has a London streetfront with the Knight Bus and King's Cross Station where you can catch the train to Hogsmeade in the other park. It's really well done, including being able to walk through the wall at platform 9 3/4. The train ride is a different experience depending on whether you're going to or from Hogwarts.

Then it sounds like the new park will add a Ministry of Magic which should be super cool!

Also, I've never been to the California Universal park, so I can't compare, but the Harry Potter cast members in Florida are usually very in character as they interact with you, down to asking you to sign a piece of "parchment" when you have to sign a credit card slip. And there are witches and wizards wandering around to help you do spells too.

Sorry, that's probably way more info than you needed. :) It's been a while since I've been there and I think I'm talking myself into another trip!

Great info! Thanks!

When I was in Avengers Campus on Saturday after the 10K, they had a PhotoPass photographer there taking pictures. He just told everyone to press buttons so I'm not sure that it does anything. Unlike the assorted things you can do with the app in Galaxy's Edge, although I've yet to try any of those either for whatever reason.

Bummer, but good to know.

Well, they do say the wand chooses the witch or wizard. Not that it matters for you, but anyone chosen can choose to opt out of actually buying the wand presented to them or they can choose to get a different wand.

While I thought the wand choosing ceremony was fun, I give the nod to building a lightsaber in Galaxy's Edge. Yes, the cost is substantially more, but anyone who wants to build a lightsaber gets the full experience. My little sister says that she captured photographic evidence that I am capable of crying when I built my lightsaber.

All true. It was a shoe-in for her when she had Unicorn hair and the wand choosing ceremony.

I'm not sure I can fully express how much your help means to me, especially when you continued to rein me in during the past 3 months of my training. Suffice it to say, I was pretty drained emotionally and exhausted heading into the Disneyland Half Marathon after all the events of the past few months. In part because you kept patiently dialing me back and warning me about the risks of doing too much, I had a great deal more energy and freshness in my legs when I really needed it.

Happy to help!

Just an update. Life remains busy. I'm fitting in running when I can, and made the right decision not to over commit myself in doing the marathon training plan I had previously laid out. My family needs me more than my running goals do at the moment.

I had planned on doing some running not long after returning from Disneyland, but on two separate occasions had overnight calf camps that lingered for a few days. So things kept getting pushed back. I ended up taking nearly two weeks completely off which worked out because the time commitment at work was intense through the end of January. Since then, I've been doing about 15-20 miles per week (2-3 hrs) all at an easy pace. I considered maybe doing mile training because it has a lesser time commitment, but things just aren't lining up at the moment as I need to stay flexible between work and home life. I'm hoping as things become more normal and routine, then I can add back in my own routine of getting back out there.

MIL had to pivot to chemo treatment and it's been up and down on tolerance. So that's been tough on everyone. We're looking at trying to go to Disney in March with everyone again to keep things on the horizon for incentive. But it remains to be seen.

G was casted in the local high school play of Wizard of Oz as a munchkin. We've also been playing a lot (too much) of Palworld. Soon we'll get started on our Amphibia costumes. I think we've finally got all the necessary equipment to get started.

That's about where things are at the moment. I'm hoping to get back to regular updates and getting the routine back.

I was recently going to ask you how things were going since you've been unusually quiet. Thanks for sharing an update. My best to you and your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter