Toddler "Leashes"

NHBelle

DIS Veteran
Okay, I have decided to get one. I am not worried about around the parks so much, because my toddler loves being in a stroller. What I am worried about is the lines. Last year he wasn't walking yet, so we carried through the lines (which wasn't easy) so no chance of him running off. This year he is very active, much differant than our daughter at that age. When he is out of his stroller he likes to run and he thinks he is funny. Of course I have to admit it's adorable on the playground or in any other safe environment, but definately NOT in Disney. I have decided the only thing that will make me feel better will be to buy a toddler "leash" or whatever you call them. I am more moried about his safety than any stares I will get form strangers that I will never see again in my life. I just don't know where to get one. I live in a small town and our local dept. stores do not carry them. Does anyone know if Toys R us has them or anywhere else? And what is the real name for them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

....is where we found our but that has been 7 years ago. There are a couple of post on the community board about how they are lifesavers at large theme parks. We would definitly use them again. My attitude was "I would rather have the strange stares than not know where my child is !!" We never really got many anyway. I think Toys R Us would be a good bet. Good Luck !!

DS didn't like his leash, so we only used it once or twice. I bought the type that slips around the wrist as opposed to the harness type. I felt a little better about it. :) I can't remember where we bought it, but it was likely Toys R Us or Babies R US.

I've used both types - the wrist leash and the over the chest harness with my extremely active little soon to be 14 monbth old boy. People come up to me at Disney to say that they are glad I am using one because my son can't get into trouble. Most people will tell you that they wish they had one when their kids were young. So don't worry about that.

Target sells both types, I believe, as well as Walmart and there is one at One step ahead.com that is expensive, and no better than the ones at the discount stores.

We tend to use the harness one more at Disney because it is easier for us to control the direction we are moving and with a wrist leash, my son tends to pull and pull and hurt his wrist because he wants to go a different way.

If you can't find one let me know and I'll pick one up and mail it to you.

We have the Fanny Pack one, and got it at Onestepahead.com

Just checked their site, and they have it for $7.95. Do a search for 'fanny pack'

We love this one and have made more fanny pack pockets for it. She calls it her pocket, and doesn't mind it at all. When we don't need the leash part we can just tuck it into the pocket.

12 days to go

I just saw them this morning at BabiesR Us. They carry the wrist type and the harness. You can order from the BabiesRUs.com website if you do not have a store near you.

We also used the over the shoulder harness type leash on our trip a couple of weeks ago. We put it on right away in the morning to avoid it seeming like a punishment and DS loved it! He actually cried when we took it off at night. I think he enjoyed the freeedom of being able to walk a bit and I certainly felt safer that he had it on. We bought ours at Wal-mart for under $10. I also saw the wrist type leashes for sale at the parks when we were there but the over the shoulder harness seems more secure, IMO. Standing in lines can be so hard for little ones. We tried to avoid carrying him in the lines because it was just too hot but DH did have to put him up on his shoulders sometimes because DS just could not stay still. He loved being up on daddy's shoulders, though. We also had a rule not to stand in any line that was more than 15 minutes long. If it was something we really wanted to see, we either used fastpass or came back at a different time. Hope you have a great vacation :) ! By the way, we never got any stares or comments about using the "leash". There were a lot of people using them.

Originally posted by campingcorgi
We have the Fanny Pack one, and got it at Onestepahead.com

Just checked their site, and they have it for $7.95. Do a search for 'fanny pack'

We love this one and have made more fanny pack pockets for it. She calls it her pocket, and doesn't mind it at all. When we don't need the leash part we can just tuck it into the pocket.

12 days to go
Oh, I just checked this out and I like it a LOT!
Boomarked the page so I can order go back and order it ........We're going next summer with our two boys and I'd like this for our youngest(he's NOT a toddler but he's an active lil fella) ;)
Thanks for the info!

Last year we also used the belly bag one. I ordered my through Baby Abby.com. It was great DS loved it and we were happy beause he is a runner and we had control. Michelle

JonHM--thanks for posting the link! I am clueless on how to do that!!

11 days now!!

Originally posted by Mish
Last year we also used the belly bag one. I ordered my through Baby Abby.com. It was great DS loved it and we were happy beause he is a runner and we had control. Michelle
Thanks for the info......$3 less here :D

DS does not need reins any longer, but at nearly 5, he still wants to be picked up in the ride lines, because he gets tired of having nothing to look at but the backsides of grownups. I found a gadget in a kids consignment store for $3 that is a lifesaver, and it would be easy to make one. Mine came from Japan originally, and actually has a fold-out shoulder strap that I never use.

It is a fanny pack that goes around the adult's waist and serves as a ledge for the child to sit on. Essentially, it is a fanny pack with a flattish top flap, and the interior is filled with a styrofoam wedge. It is really nice to be able to prop a heavy child on the wedge without having to take all the weight of supporting him on your arms. I would think that it would be easy to use an x-acto knife to cut a wedge of styrofoam to fit inside a fanny pack for this purpose.

The right start used to sell the best one ever! Its called the hands free tether. its basically two belts with a tether between them. its great because it leaves your hands free and your child cant get tangled because the tether is on rings that will slide all the way around!

I tried a harness that goes on the wrist. Well, in all of 2 minutes, my son figured out how to undo the velcro clasp and was out of it. What a waste of money. Anyway, the belted ones sound like a great idea.

My kids are much older now, but honestly I don't know what I would have done without one when my youngest (who loved to wander) was about two and we went to Disney. I had to fly home with a pre-schoolar and a toddler (DH had to stay on business) and my toddler would have ended up on another flight if it hadn't been for that "leash"! It's great to see you receiving so much support on this issue. Safety is #l.

Just got my "fanny pack" leash things from one step ahead and I am very dissapointed. It is not an actual fanny pack that has a zipper pocket where a child could put his stuff, it is a polyester pocket with a little plastic belt sewn through it. There is no way to close it and it is very small. The packaging says elastic strap, but it is not elastic. I am returning it because i can just imagine using this thing that will move al over my little guys body and I end up dragging him off his feet it if slips down or strangling him if it goes up. If there was a way to locate it around his waist I would do it, but my son doesn't wear anything with belt loops yet, he's only 14 months old and doesn't like anything tight fitting like jeans.

Not a good product in my opinion.

I just bought the fanny pack restraint from a store here locally. I only paid 5 bucks for it. I tried it out with my daughter (21 months) yesterday. She really didn't like being restrained but once she got used to it it was fine. I was able to tighten it on her waist so it wouldn't slip up or down. It worked really well. I think this is going to work well in Disney. And no she won't be able to store her treasures, but that's what stroller baskets are for!!! ;)

I never had to use one on my kids, but I *did* have one, just in case. What I did was to buy the wrist one, but also buy a kids'-sized fanny pack. I then could put the fanny pack on my child, but before I buckled it I could slip the fanny pack strap through the wrist strap on the leash. I then could put the other end of the leash around my wrist. This way, you can use any fanny pack you like, but still have your child "leashed". I never did use it , but I tried it on my sons a few times to see how they liked it, and they were quite fond of the fanny pack! HTH someone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter