• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Too late to buy for Feb trip?

The concern I would raise is in UY.

For most people, there are 2-3 UY that would work about as well. When you buy direct first, you commit to a single UY, and are then looking for that UY in resale, instead of having 2-3 options when contract shopping.

December is one of the most popular UYs, which might help some, but the distribution of UY at BLT is 11% December. February and June are the big UY at BLT. Adding in September and October as options opens up a lot more resale contracts there. AKV is about 32% December UY, but, again, another 16% of contracts are September or October.

Poly is also skewed to December.

But that's all just stats. If you need a December UY, you'll then have a hard time finding contract size and features you want in resale the moment you're all-in committed to matching the existing.

We are wanting a December use year and honesty the perks are not important. The main reason I started looking direct is because we decided to go in February. I originally planned on sitting 2018 out but you know how that goes. I was wanting to buy a resale in 2018 but now I have waited too late to buy resale to be able to clear all the hurdles and book a February trip. I would rather put the $2000 toward a contract than to pay cash for another trip. I would rather buy a 20 but I was told 50 was minimum for a non owner. I like all the resorts so that part wouldn't be a deal breaker. 185 seems much though since the current dvc resorts are not selling that high.

So you don't care about the perks but you are willing to pay $9250 direct so you can use the points for your February vacation? If that works for you then do it. I can't tell you what we have spent buying resorts that we ending up not really caring that much for. AKV, and BLT are two of them, that's just us, others love the resorts and don't care for our favorites.

Disney is a luxury vacation and DVC is an additional luxury purchase that ties you to them for years to come. It works well for some, some not so much and they don't bother to sell their contracts and others do sell, just look at the resale market.

Every so often we hear conversations at WDW where instead of how someone is looking forward to their vacation, they say something about how they had to vacation to use their points. That has really decreased with the increased number of renting brokers.

:earsboy: Bill

It's not that I necessarily want to buy 50 direct to start but I am set now on going anyway in February. Even though I know I'm not "wasting" the money by making a normal reservation for the next trip, i would rather put that money towards a contract. Ideally I would rather buy a resale to save money and then add a 25 in the near future but I would never get it done in time to book a good room.
Thanks for the info on the use year. I guess I could adjust there so I could get a resale more easily in the future. I'm not dead set on December, right now we prefer to go in February but would like to go in December sometime to try

It's not that I necessarily want to buy 50 direct to start but I am set now on going anyway in February. Even though I know I'm not "wasting" the money by making a normal reservation for the next trip, i would rather put that money towards a contract. Ideally I would rather buy a resale to save money and then add a 25 in the near future but I would never get it done in time to book a good room.
Thanks for the info on the use year. I guess I could adjust there so I could get a resale more easily in the future. I'm not dead set on December, right now we prefer to go in February but would like to go in December sometime to try
IMO whenever someone tries to buy quickly with the idea of getting a "discount" by using it for the next trip that's relatively short notice (under a year from when they sign a contract), they almost always make a mistake that costs them far more than they'd save. In no way would I buy planning to use for this Feb. I'd buy with plans for Feb separate and the IF, and only if, I happened to make my best long term choices, would I even think about a Feb trip on those points as a possibility. IMO, buying 50 pts retail with the idea of adding on later resale would be a poor choice. It's too limiting on UY and other choices. Plus I think the minimum for a retail purchase for non members at CCV is 100 pts IIRC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter