• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Top of the World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower at Contemporary Resort - *2 New Parties Added! “Enchantment at the Top” & New “Bound to Be Bad” Dates Added

I was reading the POS because wanted to confirm that TOTWL wasn't paid with dues. Right below the paragraph that confirms that, it says that there's no guaranty that any portion of the Contemporary or the monorail will continue to operate (and not to buy BLT in reliance upon continued operation of the Contemporary). I'm sure this is all standard timeshare language, but I just can't see the monorail ever going away (or the Contemporary for that matter)!

It says on a members reservation. In the past, they did allow guests staying at the same time on the membership but different room to go up.

Until it opens and we get reports, they may or may not count.
Ah you are correct, I did see that now. We will see how it goes when it opens.
On that note, if I added him to our room with his full first name (ie Michael vs Mike as his MDE account has), do you think that might work? I suppose they would want to scan his band. If we can't go, that's just fine too, not a huge deal.

Ah you are correct, I did see that now. We will see how it goes when it opens.
On that note, if I added him to our room with his full first name (ie Michael vs Mike as his MDE account has), do you think that might work? I suppose they would want to scan his band. If we can't go, that's just fine too, not a huge deal.

Yes. I think it would.

I was reading the POS because wanted to confirm that TOTWL wasn't paid with dues. Right below the paragraph that confirms that, it says that there's no guaranty that any portion of the Contemporary or the monorail will continue to operate (and not to buy BLT in reliance upon continued operation of the Contemporary). I'm sure this is all standard timeshare language, but I just can't see the monorail ever going away (or the Contemporary for that matter)!

You are right, but it covers all the bases. AKV doesn’t guarantee you will have animals either.

No they won’t because DVD only cares to cater to those buying direct. That is why they went this route to begin with.

They want people to buy from them.
Well they clearly showed that when they lowered the GF prices down $50 a point. I think the internet has hurt direct sales. 20 years ago, no one would even know about resale. Now a search and bam, it’s in your face. The hard part though is that people are starting to sell in larger and larger numbers. Eventually, it’s going to be a larger market in resale unless ROFR gobbles them all up at a loss.

VILLIANS ..... so sad I can't do the party dates and can't wait to see the way it's decorated.... unbelievably dumb, but I'm so happy I added VGF and got my blue card, because I would have had FOMO on a Villians Lair

Well they clearly showed that when they lowered the GF prices down $50 a point. I think the internet has hurt direct sales. 20 years ago, no one would even know about resale. Now a search and bam, it’s in your face. The hard part though is that people are starting to sell in larger and larger numbers. Eventually, it’s going to be a larger market in resale unless ROFR gobbles them all up at a loss.
Direct is still going pretty strong, and let's not forget the money they make off of financing too. Someone on FB who didn't understand the basic concepts of financing and interest posted a screenshot of her direct purchase financing with a whopping 17% interest rate! She was startled why the 30k purchase total cost would be something like 78k over the life of the loan. I imagine there are many more like that person who most likely went to a sales pitch and just bought on the spot.

The next step for Disney DVC is to ensure ALL beds in DVC rooms are Murphy beds.

Upon entering your room, the beds will be raised and locked. Only those DIRECT owners will be able to unlock the beds and lower them. Resale owners will be forced to sleep on the floor.

While the internet has certainly helped, the majority of new buyers are not versed in it all.

I agree that the pricing of VGF and the increase in incentives have definitely helped and this will just now be one more thing to share with those potential buyers,

The fact that have gone in this direction with TOTWL definitely leads more credence to the rumor that a paid membership program may be on its way as well.

It does annoy me because although I don’t qualify for the benefits I have spent $19,000 on direct points (just not more than 150 points). Still, on my primary 250 point contract I bought years ago I saved $17,000 vs buying direct. I will miss TOTWL but would I pay $17k for it - NO!

(Granted the difference between resale and direct was bigger back then. I paid $77pp for AKV just four years ago which was nearly half the direct cost)

Question - we've never been to the TOTWL - Lair or no Lair - but what kinds of foods did they serve before? Told DH about this re-opening and we're staying at BLT in October and we might need to head there for a dinner!!

Question - we've never been to the TOTWL - Lair or no Lair - but what kinds of foods did they serve before? Told DH about this re-opening and we're staying at BLT in October and we might need to head there for a dinner!!

Never ate food, but had a great piece of cake! Mostly were small plate offerings!

However as time goes on and more and more people start to sell their DVC (for whatever reason, whether it be recession, frustration, or just moving on), the resale people are about to grow in numbers to a point where Disney will need to start to cater to them.
They don't have any commitment to members more than loading the points they own. We all have to pay dues and that's the only thing DVD expects from us. I don't get why Disney needs to cater resale owners if Disney doesn't make profit from them. I get why all benefits are blue card only and that's a nice perk to have

Technically the rules haven't changed in regards to needing a resort reservation. You were always only supposed to have access if you were staying on property at the time, but in my experience they were very lax on enforcing this unless things were expected to be busier than normal.
Perhaps because the lounge was often rather empty, we never had an issue in the past stopping by even if we were not staying DVC.

No arm twisting on our parts, just stopped by the counter downstairs and asked if there was room. We did have enough direct points & the right DVC card (once that changed over).

Also, always would patronize the bar. Kids loved the giant slice of cake & first timers along with us would get the giggles over that shared fish bowl drink. Good times :)

once the initial rush of members inevitably does drop off again, curious to hear if members not staying DVC are again being waved upstairs.

Yes, for us non-drinkers, definitely not worth the price tag
And yet - now I’m already having Major FOMO!!! I may break down and just get 1 ticket for myself…my husband is not at all interested. Curse You DVC!!!

From the article:
Eligibility includes Members with direct purchase benefits indicated as Y on the back of the digital Membership Card as well as a resort reservation at any Disney Vacation Club resort, or Disney-owned-and-operated hotel, at Walt Disney World Resort (booked with Vacation Points or cash within their Membership).

So yes it looks like changing to a direct benefit. so much BS
They should be grandfathered in.

So as I read from the discussion, ti enter TOTWL, you must either be grandfathered in from resale before the 2016 change (DVC Y or bluecard) or purchase direct.
Is that correct?
I am looking forward to hoping to see the reimagined lounge.
I don't think this new change will last too long. Having been there multiple times, short of a holiday, it was NEVER crowded when we were there when it was open to ALL DVC members. You need people up there spending money to keep it profitable. I don't think they will find enough volume with this limitation.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter