Top of the World Lounge only when staying at DVC resort?

Ajaysummer

Earning My Ears
We are DVC members (both Direct and Resale contracts). My wife is visiting friends near Disney World Orlando this spring, but not staying on sight as she is staying with said friends for a few nights. She was planning on going to Epcot for a day and taking her friends to the Top of the World Lounge for a meal, but we are hearing that we need to have an active reservation at a DVC resort to use this perk/benefit and make a reservation? Is this correct? Do they really make you show proof of current stay/reservation at a DVC resort before going into these lounges (or is it just for making a reservation)? Since we have not used this member perk/benefit yet, I would appreciate some wisdom from those who have. Thanks in advance!

The rules is you have to be staying at a Disney owned and operated resort. It can be cash or points. So given she is off site they will more than likely turn her away. You could try booking the dining experience they have I don’t think there is a restriction that you have to be on site to use that.

The rules is you have to be staying at a Disney owned and operated resort. It can be cash or points. So given she is off site they will more than likely turn her away. You could try booking the dining experience they have I don’t think there is a restriction that you have to be on site to use that.
She couldn't find that lounge to book the dining experience through the app, so she might not be able to go.

She couldn't find that lounge to book the dining experience through the app, so she might not be able to go.
I think you have to call Member Services to book the dining experience there. Most of the lounge is first come first served. The Villians Lair experience is about half the seating the nights they do it. The other part of the lounge is just walk ins.

I think you have to call Member Services to book the dining experience there. Most of the lounge is first come first served. The Villians Lair experience is about half the seating the nights they do it. The other part of the lounge is just walk ins.
I believe she did call member services, that is where she found out the "must be staying at Disney Resort" restriction.

I’ve been reading reports of people going up to watch fireworks that aren’t even DVC owners, so I don’t think they’re enforcing anything or asking for membership number. The OP is probably fine going up there, as DVC/Disney doesn’t appear to care anymore.

I’ve been reading reports of people going up to watch fireworks that aren’t even DVC owners, so I don’t think they’re enforcing anything or asking for membership number. The OP is probably fine going up there, as DVC/Disney doesn’t appear to care anymore.
I mean considering they scan your ID card to go up I am not sure if non members are going without trying to avoid the person at the elevator. I agree it’s worth the try to go up assuming they are blue card eligible.

I mean considering they scan your ID card to go up I am not sure if non members are going without trying to avoid the person at the elevator. I agree it’s worth the try to go up assuming they are blue card eligible.
We had a reservation for the Wicked Wind Down back in December. There was no one at the elevator to check credentials. We just got in and headed up. When we walked into the lounge there wasn't even anyone checking at the door. We had to flag someone down to show us our assigned table. It would not have been hard to just walk in and head to the balcony to view the fireworks. They did appear to be short staffed that night as service was extremely slow so maybe that's why :confused3 .

I can't say that's the norm as that was definitely not our experience a year prior, but it can happen.

We had a reservation for the Wicked Wind Down back in December. There was no one at the elevator to check credentials. We just got in and headed up. When we walked into the lounge there wasn't even anyone checking at the door. We had to flag someone down to show us our assigned table. It would not have been hard to just walk in and head to the balcony to view the fireworks. They did appear to be short staffed that night as service was extremely slow so maybe that's why :confused3 .

I can't say that's the norm as that was definitely not our experience a year prior, but it can happen.
I’d say that is strange given that floor of the elevator has always required room key access (needed to be staying on that floor of BLT). Maybe someone just didn’t show up for work that day.

They have moved the CMs upstairs now so I did see people who went up for fireworks without any issue.

However, those same people were not eligible to go into the lounge to get a drink because they asked to see their card and they were DVC ND.

So, it seems they have relaxed rules for the viewing but not for access to the actual lounge.

I’d say that is strange given that floor of the elevator has always required room key access (needed to be staying on that floor of BLT). Maybe someone just didn’t show up for work that day.
We were surprised as well, and weren't sure we'd be able to access that floor - but it wasn't a problem. Prior to this I had seen a few reports on here of others having the same experience, only to have someone else chime in that they had to scan in at the elevator. I'll say that the night we were there it was not very busy - maybe only half full. It was a Christmas party night and the fireworks were later in the evening. Maybe they aren't checking at the elevator when they are expecting a slow night? We only saw two people working the entire time we were there - one server and one person bouncing between bartending and serving.

Edited to add - just saw Sandisaw's post about it being moved upstairs. That makes sense. The night we were there they didn't have enough staff to have someone standing at the door though. We had to take it upon ourselves grab a server to let them know we were there and find our table.

Last edited:
It is changed now. See My post above n

We went last week. DVC members Staying at the GF. No one at the elevator to check and we went straight on up. No one at the door to the lounge, walked right in at found a table. No one checked our status. Walked over to watch the fireworks (very nice). Not very crowded.

We went to the lounge in November and I don’t recall anyone checking us for credentials. There was a gentlemen at the podium who showed us to a table (we had no WWD reservation) … again don’t recall anyone checking us for DVC-Y … not sure if bank on that though

We went last week. DVC members Staying at the GF. No one at the elevator to check and we went straight on up. No one at the door to the lounge, walked right in at found a table. No one checked our status. Walked over to watch the fireworks (very nice). Not very crowded.
My wife ended up going this week and they checked her DVC credentials prior to entering (and cross checked it to her driver's license as well). The attendant stated "you don't need to be staying at a Disney owned hotel, I don't know why they keep telling people that". However, days before her trip multiple DVC employees confirmed we DO need to be staying at a Disney owned hotel (and provided a copy of the rules as well). So it sounds like it's a total crap shoot whether they have someone there checking credentials or not in the first place, and also a crap shoot in regards to "staying on site" as well. However, I'm not sure they have a way to prove you are staying on site (unless they request a room key or something - but even then you can say you just use your magic band/smart watch). To get a RESERVATION, it sounds like you need to be staying on site, but the attendant said to "just keep calling until you get someone who will help you make a reservation". She (my wife) did mention that the elevator itself would not let them punch in the 16th floor, so maybe you need a room key to any Disney resort to be able to access the 16th floor and that is how they manage that "rule". She got lucky and someone was coming down from 16 as they wanted to go up.

My wife ended up going this week and they checked her DVC credentials prior to entering (and cross checked it to her driver's license as well). The attendant stated "you don't need to be staying at a Disney owned hotel, I don't know why they keep telling people that".

The attendant was definately misinformed. This has been a long standing rule and is on the new(ish)ly redesigned TotWL page (https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...rs/member-experiences/top-of-the-world-lounge). Specifically, "Eligible Disney Vacation Club Members with access to Membership Extras may enjoy this exclusive space just outside Magic Kingdom park when using their Membership to stay at a Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with Vacation Points or cash)."

Whether or not the cast member enforces it (or even knows teh rules) is another matter, but the last time I went, it was like trying to get in to Fort Knox and seemed a bit ridiculous. I had to show my membership card, my ID and they did indeed look up my reservation because she asked how I was liking the Polynesian. It seemed like it took forever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter