TORN.... GFV 2x in a row or play the field?

twinsouvenirs

Mother of Dragons :)
We have our Feb trip in a 1 BR at GFV scheduled, and we're looking to plan our fall trip possibly bringing extended family. We're new DVC members and so far we have only stayed at BWV and SSR although we've visited other resorts (i.e. walking through lobbies etc). Our home resorts are GFV and SSR.

Should I book GFV for the family trip in September since we can sort of guarantee it's going to be awesome, or should we continue to mix it up? My goal is to try all the resorts out... I am still dying to go to AKV, BCV, WLV... and to a lesser extent BLT & OKW. When the girls are old enough not to eat sand constantly we'll rotate in VB & HHI, and when they are old enough for either a week of babysitting or a long flight we'll put Aulani in there.

We'd have up to 6 adults, so I also considered a treehouse villa, but I'm not sure that has the same WOW factor. Thoughts? I will have to bank/borrow to make the reservation so I don't really have the 'placeholder ressie' option--whatever I do will affect the usability of our points.

Related question, though I will probably post seperately... our use year is August. We're booked for Feb, and we might insert a Star Wars Weekend trip. If I was to borrow points to make that reservation (we already made the Feb ressie) BEFORE that Feb trip, would they reallocate our points to use the expiring borrowed ones first, or would the point use stay as it was when we booked originally? Or does it depend who is handling check in?

If you haven't tried AKV with young kids, I highly recommend it. Nothing like waking up and walking out to see animals aka giraffes roaming about. My boys always talk about that and if it wasn't for us going at an busier time of year next thanksgiving we would have chosen that.

Hmm...
Are you saying you have a total of 6 adults?
What accommodation are you looking at?

If you are separating rooms just remember that only AKV kids I and BLT has 2 bath in the 1br configuration. The other resorts have 1br/1ba.

Also what parks will you all be frequenting?
If MK is your main park the either monorail resort would be good.
If EPCOT or DHS then BW or BC would be great.

Also remember that inviting extended family may cause some issues. For example if you plan to stay in a 2br because it fits 9 people and then a couple people decided to drop off at the last minute, it might be difficult for you to change back to a 1br if you want to save points. Although I have read report that this could be done with a lock off without losing your reservation.

Have fun!

Those expensive GFV points go further at OKW. But that's just the cheapskate in me talking.

Those expensive GFV points go further at OKW. But that's just the cheapskate in me talking.

You are forgetting that this is Disney. :goodvibes

It isn't money, it's DVC points, DDP credits, Disney Dollars, and the wave of a magic band. :thumbsup2

:earsboy: Bill

We have our Feb trip in a 1 BR at GFV scheduled, and we're looking to plan our fall trip possibly bringing extended family. We're new DVC members and so far we have only stayed at BWV and SSR although we've visited other resorts (i.e. walking through lobbies etc). Our home resorts are GFV and SSR.

Should I book GFV for the family trip in September since we can sort of guarantee it's going to be awesome, or should we continue to mix it up? My goal is to try all the resorts out... I am still dying to go to AKV, BCV, WLV... and to a lesser extent BLT & OKW. When the girls are old enough not to eat sand constantly we'll rotate in VB & HHI, and when they are old enough for either a week of babysitting or a long flight we'll put Aulani in there.

We'd have up to 6 adults, so I also considered a treehouse villa, but I'm not sure that has the same WOW factor. Thoughts? I will have to bank/borrow to make the reservation so I don't really have the 'placeholder ressie' option--whatever I do will affect the usability of our points.

Related question, though I will probably post seperately... our use year is August. We're booked for Feb, and we might insert a Star Wars Weekend trip. If I was to borrow points to make that reservation (we already made the Feb ressie) BEFORE that Feb trip, would they reallocate our points to use the expiring borrowed ones first, or would the point use stay as it was when we booked originally? Or does it depend who is handling check in?

Book at VGF at 11 months, then try to switch to a new resort at 7. After staying at all of the resorts a couple of times you will know what contracts to sell and which to buy. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

Since there is really no guarantee that DVC will continue to allow members to use non-home resort in the future and also since it is always the easiest to book your home resort at 11 months, you should always try the other resorts first. You should try to use home resort and as the last resort. :rotfl2:

I was totally thinking about booking a studio at OKW for the size and point 'price'...

I also loved the prior suggestion about AKV. The girls are 14 mo now--when we went to the zoo in August they were completely uninterested in anything but the fish. When do kids start paying attention to animals? They are OBSESSED with the dog.

OKW was the last resort we wanted to try, but with the low points it allowed us to squeeze in an extra trip to use our PAP more :banana: It is now DS11 favorite resort! The size of the studio is absolutely amazing! Your double trouble would have plenty of room to toddle around in. Note, I would request a ground floor with 2 little ones. I couldn't imagine doing a walk up with them and a stroller. In 64 days we check in to AKV value studio. It's going to be a bit of a culture shock after spreading out at OKW. Love that place :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter