Tough Corn on the Cob!

grammynelliebelle

DIS Veteran
Does anybody have an idea of what to do with corn that is just plain tough. I bought 20 ears for a picnic and cooked two to try them out and they are so tough I don't feel I want to cook and serve them to company. But even though they are not expensive I hate to throw them out. Any ideas? TIA Grammy:)

The only thing I can think of would be Corn Pudding. This is not a dessert & I've seen similar recipes called Corn Souffle.

If the corn is tough, any recipe that leaves the skin of the kernals intact is going to have tough corn in it - you know? For corn pudding, you grate the corn so that should be alleviated - or at least lessened.

Corn Pudding

2 c grated corn
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 Tbl sugar
2 Tbl butter
1 Tbl flour
1 c milk

Grate corn & add salt, sugar, pepper, flour & melted butter. Add beaten eggs & milk. Pour into a greased baking dish & bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Serves 6.

It is done when the center is "set" - like any custard - & a knife comes out clean.

Note: Doubling the recipe also extends the baking time - if you use one casserole dish. Also, for anyone considering this recipe without fresh corn...The original says "fresh corn preferred" but I always use frozen & use the blender to "grate". I only grate until it is sort of like creamed corn - not totally mush. It screws up the baking time if you don't defrost the corn first though. (I know, I've tried it!)

Have you tried to boil it with the husks still on? I had some corn that was kind of tough and found this way of cooking them to keep the flavor and tenderness of the corn. Plus it is so much easier to shuck!!!

Boil water in large pot.
Place the unshucked corn in the boiling water.
Boil for 10 minutes.
Shuck corn and serve with butter and salt.

We barbeque it.

Top rack of the bbq, baste with butter...yum.

Makes even the toughest corn taste delish:)

:sunny:

Also, if they are not as sweet as you like, add a few tablespoons of sugar to the water while boiling.

Does anybody have an idea of what to do with corn that is just plain tough. I bought 20 ears for a picnic and cooked two to try them out and they are so tough I don't feel I want to cook and serve them to company. But even though they are not expensive I hate to throw them out. Any ideas? TIA Grammy:)

Sorry for a late response - file this away for future if you wish...

Prior to any bar-be-que I soak my ears of corn ( still in the husks naturally ) for at least an hour.

Any where from 90 - 120 min before serving I get the ears ( still in their husks ) out on a medium heat grill ( remember the 1-2-3-OUCH rule ). I turn them every 15 - 30 min once the husks are dried out / brown. I am going for the carmelization inside the husk - adust time by taste preferences.

Once they are done they will be tender all around, the husks will be dried and kinda "crispy", and the smell will be incredible!

The fun part is you just peel back the husks (careful! they WILL be hot inside) and you have a handle for handing to your guests or for guests to use to hold on while eating. It's also just as easy to snap off the "handle".

Then just brush / baste with butter and your favorite seasoning.

You have a fun way of serving corn on the cob.

Stumbled across this board today. Going to have to come back!!

I microwave cook my corn.

Shuck and clean

Rub with lots of butter, sprinkle of salt

Roll up in plastic wrap

Microwave on high for 10 minutes

It's always turned out tasty and soft.

:rainbow:

Don't cook it so long...3 minutes tops...add sugar to the water...Voila!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter