TR - Shuttergirl does Castles, Kilts, Craic and Croissants - Photos up to Day 10

Okay, I know I'm slack slack slack but I'm just having too much fun and can't be bothered writing the TR most of the time. Sorry for the gap but here is an update for you all:-

Day 5 Tower of London, Borough Market and Shakespeares Globe

It was cold cold cold this morning as we came out of the tube station near the Tower of London. Brrrrr. I was really excited for today, knowing this would be a real highlight of our time in London. We managed to beat the crowds thank goodness because later in the day the ticket office and the grounds were swarming with people.

Its just so hard to believe how old some of the buildings are here in London. Some of the buildings within the Tower of London complex dated back to the 1100s, unbelievable.

We headed straight to see the Crown Jewels. It was all very stunning and impressive. Seeing all of the beautiful crowns, sceptres and orbs that the kings and queens had worn over the years was pretty fabulous for a closet royalist like myself. I was very frustrated we werent allowed to take photos or at the very least try the crowns on, couldnt they tell they were dealing with a princess when I walked past but oh well, I guess I can google some images online and steal them for the photo album hahaha.
I had really wanted to do the guided tour with the Beef Eaters or Yeoman as they called them. The problem was, about 200 of my closest friends had the same idea so we gave the idea up as a bad joke. It wouldve been impossible to hear and follow along but I was disappointed because I had read reviews saying how humorous the tours were.

We got to see lots of suits of armour, weapons etc. and read alot of history about what the tower had been through over the years and overall we really enjoyed it all.

My crazy kiddos

We then headed towards the water for awesome views of Tower Bridge. I want to say London Bridge because when I see Tower Bridge, its what I think of as London Bridge and I would imagine thats what most people think. Its just a very iconic bridge and it was great to see it.

When we left everyone was starving and even though our next stop was to the famous food markets called Borough Markets, we just couldnt wait that long so stumbled into Wagamama freezing cold and had a fabulous meal. I love that place and we all enjoyed it.

Then we cabbed it over to Borough Market or should I say My Husband's version of heaven. What a fabulous bustling place this was. So many cheeses and meats and fruits and vegetables and cakes and yum yum breads. It was hard to know where to look, what to eat and how much to buy. It was so crowded, we had to walk through like a little trail of elephants with our trunks wrapped around the tail in front haha. There was zebra burgers, and other exotic meats which was a first for me. Ewwww. I saw stunning big cheeses that were just too gorgeous to actually eat.

I cannot believe how cheap the fresh food is here in London. I always thought the cost of living was high here but even with doing the pound conversion to AUD, it is such a bargain here which I guess if you were on English wages wouldnt seem so good but to the Australian mind, we pay so much more for food.

We ended up with 2 different cheeses, not sure what they were but they looked good. They alas didnt taste as good as they looked. We got 3 smoked sausages, one venison, one boar and one smoked something something. They were all very tasty. Some divine olive and rosemary bread and some mouth watering, stuff dreams are made of, brownies.

From there we walked along to Shakespeares Globe Theatre. We did the guided tour and I just thought the whole thing was superb. To imagine the actors performing in the round like that so many years ago, with no roof on the theatre, it just was so interesting. Everyone really enjoyed this tour and I was really impressed with our guide who was very humorous and made Shakespeare sound appealing even to the kids. I think thats a real gift to keep it accessible to all ages and walks of life and the guide really did a fabulous job of that.

Afterwards we walked across the Millenium Bridge which gave us beautiful views up and down the Thames and then caught the tube home. We dropped off our bags and then headed to one of our local pubs, The Old Swan for a really great meal. This was the beginning of DS trying some new foods, yeehaw. He decided tonight he would have lasagne. Pick me up off the floor and call me Lady Gaga, did he just say he was ordering lasagne :rotfl2:. This is stupendous and amazing news. You have no idea how many times we have tried to get this finicky eater to try lasagne. Im not sure if he was drunk or had taken a knock to the head but hey, I was going with it. If it meant I had to order him another meal when he didnt like it so be it. I was all in for this little experiment.

And guess what????? He love love loved it. Finally a meal our whole family can eat hahaha. Great little pub, we all enjoyed our meals and just overall another great day.

Highs Crown Jewels, Borough Market everything, the beautiful Globe, lasagne
Lows not being able to do the Beefeater tour
Temperature high 7, low -2

Day 6 Portobello Market, Lords, The Orangery and the West End

We are so lucky with the location of our awesome flat in London. It is super close to everything and this includes the famous Portobello Markets. If you havent heard of them, its where Kylie Minogue bought the famous little gold shorts so DH went into the market hoping to a) see Kylie, she would see him through the crowd and fall madly in love and b) to find himself his own pair of little gold shorts. I went into it hoping that a) I would see Hugh Grant walking around, he would see me through the crowd and fall instantly in love and b) that DH wouldnt find those gold shorts lol

The market was fantastic and went on and on, we walked so far. I had the best falafel and salad wrap Ive ever had in my life here, the other girlies had the best crepes and the boys pretended to be manly and had kransky sausage hotdog things. Very phallic, I have no idea how they ate those sausages, they were huge.

To be honest this market only works if you live there because it is filled with lots of beautiful and interesting secondhand wares. It just doesnt make sense to buy china and try to fly the stuff home. Its the stuff of broken dreams for sure. But it sure was fun looking through. MIL picked up some sweet little drawings of iconic London attractions, there were some trendy (well so they think) tshirts bought and the morning was excellent. MIL, DS and I tired earlier than the shoppers of the family so began the walk home. By then though, we were all fairly weary and it felt like we were trekking the Himalayas trying to find out flat. Eventually we gave up and hailed a cab, only to realise we were only about 4 blocks from home. If only that cab had showed up sooner my feet say haha.

We all managed to have a good rest and then the boys headed off to visit Lords Cricket Ground and Abbey Road and the girls went to Kensington Palace for High Tea at the Orangery.

The boys really enjoyed the 1 hr 30 min tour of Lords. They were the only Aussies on the tour and the rest of the people were Indian and they absolutely fell in love with DS. He was apparently quite the star of the tour haha. The boys really enjoyed all of the history but still prefer our impressive MCG. Abbey Road was great for a quick photo op but apparently it was a challenge not to get run over by passing traffic since it is still a working road lol.

The girlies got all gussied up in our finery and walked to Kensington Palace. On the way we were fortunate enough to walk down the most expensive street in London. No its not Mayfair or Park Lane like on the Monopoly Board (although they are still expensive streets hehe). You arent allowed to take photos in this street and there are guards at either end ready to arrest you so no photographic memories of this but a really enjoyable walk none the less.

We wandered through the Kensington Palace gardens craning our necks for a glimpse of Wills and Kate but alas no such joy and finally found the Orangery.

The person who greeted us at the door was very pompous and rude, sigh just how I like my british waiter type people. The Orangery was all white walls, white linen, white china, softly spoken goodness. The tea was beautiful, as was the tiny bite sized food although of course we all were left a little wistful for more food hehe. We enjoyed playing ladies for an hour or two and then enjoyed our stroll back home through a different part of the gardens.

Home for another little rest and a quick dinner and then we were tubing our way to the West End to see We Will Rock You at the Dominion Theatre. Awesome venue with a massive statue of Freddie Mercury on the roof. Google it, you will be impressed. What can I say about this show other than WOWSERS!!!!!. Ben Eltons humour was so oblivious and the giggles were only bested by the amazing voices of the cast. They were absolutely so talented. I had so many "goosebumps on the arms" moments. I had read reviews that the story was a little light on and I guess it kind of was but I didnt mind because the whole thing was absolutely fantastic. I always love a live show but this was just awesome. The theatre was the most relaxed I had ever been in, everyone was drinking beers and wine, they even had bar staff wandering the aisles offering you drinks while you sat and watched. My kind of theatre really lol. The costuming was weird and wonderful since it is set in the future but the voices, I have to mention them again. The chicks won out for my vote as they were astounding. Please google a few of the songs from the West End show and you will see what I mean. The lead male was pretty great also but I loved the chicks the best.

We caught the tube home and we again all discussed how easy this city is to navigate. Very impressive and so simple for visitors.

Highs  We Will Rock You, The Orangery, Lords
Lows  long walk home from Portobello Market, yuk
Temperature  high 6, low 1

Yay great update. Glad you are enjoying yourselves and loved the show. Yes I always wish we lived there when we visit any of the traditional bigger markets! I still have been known to bring impractical things home...

Yay another update! Sounds like you had such a great time in London, and the girly afternoon sounds like such fun :goodvibes

Day 7  Easter Sunday

Today was Easter Sunday and so we planned to sleep in a little and then we got up to see if the Easter Bunny had remembered to come. Whew, hed found us thank goodness and the kids began the day with mouthfuls of chocolate. Of course DH growled at them like he does every year, he apparently thinks it isnt good to have chocolate for breakfast but I just ignore that and hand them some more hahaha.

We were definitely on the go slow today which is fine, weve certainly been busy enough so far on the trip. We finally made it out the door and were headed to Madam Tussauds Wax Museum. I had heard this place can be pretty crazy busy in the afternoons, and even late morning so we headed off on the tube to try our luck. We got there 30 mins after it opened and I kid you not, the place was crowds central. I asked one of the staff how long she thought the line was and she said somewhere between 2-3 hrs just to get in the door. OH MY GOSH. Seriously, I love a good wax museum but not that much so we gave that up as a bad joke and stopped and did a little souvenir instead.

We then headed over to the British Musem which is what we had planned to do in the afternoon so just switched it up and went there. The facade of this museum is so beautiful, very majestic and wonderful. But then you get inside and the interior of the massive foyer is super modern with the most spectacular ceiling. I must have taken about 2 million photos of that ceiling trying to capture what I saw lol.

My main point of interest for the museum was the Egyptian exhibit. I knew DH and the kids would only give me 1-1 ½ hrs of their attention so I said we were going there first and then they could choose whatever else we saw. Im so glad we went here first because it was awesome. Seeing some of the sarcophagus that dated back to dating back to BC times, along with amazing paint work and mummies, wowsers. I love Egyptian history and this display really ticked the boxes for me. DS was hooked on trying to find the oldest things in the exhibit which worked well for me because it kept him interested and busy and I got to enjoy myself.

We then headed into the Roman areas and this is when we found some really old relics. DSs oldest find was 4000BC, I mean seriously, it is unbelievable stuff. So interesting. To see the artistry and care and detail that was put into things made so long ago makes you wonder about the modern items of today and whether they would stand the test of time. Somehow I dont think so.

As predicted 2 hrs seemed to be the maximum the family could tolerate and then we decided to head off for Easter Sunday lunch. I had researched a fair bit beforehand because we were keen to try to eat somewhere with a diverse menu but that definitely had roasts available. Amazingly I found the perfect place just across the road from the British Museum called very uniquely Museum Tavern hahaha. It was a lovely old pub with a great menu. MIL and I went the roast beef and I have to say it was perfect. Just exactly what I wouldve hoped to eat for Easter lunch. We all got dessert as well, something I usually skip but there was this treacle pudding calling my name on the menu and in hindsight, someone up above was looking out for me this day because it kind of felt like a spiritual experience when I was eating it hahaha. My mouth is watering as I type.

Traditional roast

What's lunch without some champies

So after a few beers, champagnes and an amazing lunch, we rolled home and just completely relaxed for the rest of the day. A much needed slow day but another enjoyable day indeed.

Note  I forgot when I wrote about Saturday and We Will Rock You that we had an unbelievable moment. When we left the flat to go to the show we walked outside to an amazing sight. A freak snow storm. We couldnt believe our eyes because we had been out in the afternoon wandering happily in the park and here was snow falling, a really heavy snow shower. We had to cover our heads and run to the tube station, slush all over the footpaths. It was weird. By the time we caught the tube to the theatre and walked out, it was over. I didnt get any photos because it was so heavy and wet with snow we just ran. I wasnt getting my camera out hahaha.

Highs  Roast lunch, Treacle pudding lol, Egyptian exhibit
Lows  the ridiculous lines at Madam Tussauds
Temperature  high 6, low -2

Day 8 Stonehenge & Bath and secret places

We were up at the crack of dawn today I tell you. We had to be all the way over the other side of London for an early morning start for our bus tour to Stonehenge and Bath. As with the previous bus tour this company I researched to within an inch of its life and I knew from reviews we were going to have an amazing day.

As always, I like to be near the front so I can bond with the tour guide. Now dont get me wrong, I know I am a tour guides worst nightmare. Im chatty, Im curious and I want them to love me. Tour guides groan when they see me coming but I dont hahaha.

Our tour guide was Chris, he owns the company which is called The English Bus, http://www.theenglishbus.com/trip/bath-stonehenge. Chris was a great guy in his early 30s and his business partner and fiancé Jen, came along this day to enjoy the tour also. I love these smaller tours with only 16 people. When you are a family of 5 you make up a 3rd of the group so it feels almost like a private tour at times.

Our first stop was Stonehenge. I know what this place looks like from pictures but really didnt know much about its origins etc. Chris gave us so much wonderful information and theories, I loved it. When we got there it was apparent that it was pretty damn cold, like icy cold. Brrrrr, and since it was on an open plain, it was windy. I felt a little like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, worried I may blow away at any second. Chris had really filled my head with lots of information and ideas that it really brought the stones to life once we were there.

I wont lie, it was so cold and it likely put a little dampener on the experience in terms of we walked at a much faster pace around Stonehenge but I loved the whole thing. Just trying to imagine how the stones arrived there since they were sooooo big and heavy had me perplexed. It amazes me that anyone was interested enough to take the time and effort to transport those massive stones.

An artists impression of what they think it looked like originally

Soon we were warmly bundled back up in the bus, driving through the most stunning countryside and little villages and before long we were arriving into Bath. I hadnt expected the whole city to be so beautiful. I thought the inner area would be but that the outer areas would be less stunning and more modern etc. I was wrong. The whole place dripped of history and stunning architecture and gorgeousness. My favourite author ever, Jane Austen lived here for a time and its said that she hated Bath hahaha. Mainly because it was kind of an old boys club and she was a single woman writing novels and frowned upon. They say when she wrote Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility etc, it was all using the inspiration of her time dealing with society in Bath.

The buildings were so beautifully made and it was interesting to hear about why some of the buildings were quite grubby looking. Apparently the coal fires and the bazillions of chimneys spewing out said coal smoke left all of the stunning sandstone buildings very black. Eventually coal fires were banned and many people had their houses cleaned which was a very expensive exercise. Some people couldnt afford to do it straight away and then the council passed a law saying no more cleaning of buildings hahaha. So now some buildings are dirty looking and some are super sparkly clean. It all added to the charm of this beautiful little city.

We had lunch at a lovely old pub, best fish and chips and sausages and mash with gravy. Yum. We sat with some other people on the tour, 1 aussie girl who had just moved to England for 3 years for work and one girl from South Africa who was doing 3 months of study in London. Very interesting ladies.
After lunch we did a walking tour with Chris throughout the city, learning lots of wonderful things. We then walked through the Roman Baths and also drank some of the natural spring water which was warm and not very tasty haha.

Afterwards we did a quick driving tour around town, up to the Royal Crescent (google, so pretty) and past where Jane Austen lived when she was here and a few other things. We then headed out of town on the slow journey home that was going to include 2 stops at secret places. Im not supposed to tell anyone where we went but shhhhhhh, Im going to tell you haha.
First we went to somewhere that I had wanted to include in a tour, so when Chris said where we were going tears actually sprang to my eyes. Embarrassing maybe but I didnt care. We were headed to Lacock. This precious little village was where they filmed the BBC series of Pride and Predjudice. This piece of television is probably my favourite thing Ive ever watched on TV. I love it, Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy is the stuff dreams are made of and so to visit the little village where much of the series was filmed and since Pride and Prejudice is my favourite book ever well you can understand my emotions.

The village did not disappoint, it was picture postcard perfect. Loved it. There was also an unexpected Harry Potter moment with one of the houses being the one that belonged to James and Lily Potter in the first film where they show you what happened to baby Harry and his parents at Voldemorts hands.

After leaving here we headed to the 2nd secret place called Avebury. This was a pleasant surprise. Avebury also has a stone circle, similar to Stonehenge but so very much larger than Stonehenge. I couldnt believe it wasnt a place we had ever heard of. The stone circle here was enormous and had a much more mystical and haunting feeling about it. I cannot believe its not more well known. The stones are much more further apart and perhaps its not as tidy or small enough to fit into the one picture that may have played a part in its lack of fame. I really loved it though.
After spending quite a bit of time here, listening to Chris and then wandering around we finally headed back to London.

Chris and I chatted all the way home, not because I kept talking and hogging him hahaha. I tried to sit quietly but then he would ask me another question so we ended up chatting the whole way. A great man and his fiancé was lovely as well.

A very very long day, over 12 hours but so worth it. Love love love.

Highs Lacock, Bath, lunch, Avebury, Stonehenge
Lows the wind and cold at Stonehenge
Temperature high 7, low 1

You have made my morning!! Logging in to find 4 days of updates. Woot! As for Madame Toussauds - I live in Sydney and went to that one last school holidays. So annoying. I wanted to look at all the sculptures and marvel at how they were made - everyone else just wanted to stand with the sculptures while they made stupid pouting faces and did "peace signs" behind their heads and take photos of themselves. Irritating.

Looking forward to more...

Sally

More great updates thanks Ms Shuttergirl. :banana: As always your trips are so inspiring to me and I'm taking notes in case we do get there next year.

I remember being taken by my parents to see Stonehenge when I was a tween - the thing I remember most was how cold I felt!!! :rotfl2:

to borrow a phrase from australiankaren, i kissykissylovelove these trip updates of yours.

you really bring a sense of the location into your writing, so i can practically envision it in my head as i read along with you, the cold, the excitement, the snow, the amazement and wonder etc. it's been really lovely to read along with you on this fabulous trip of yours. thank you :)

tears actually sprang to my eyes. Embarrassing maybe but I didn’t care. We were headed to Lacock. This precious little village was where they filmed the BBC series of Pride and Predjudice. This piece of television is probably my favourite thing I’ve ever watched on TV. I love it, Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy is the stuff dreams are made of and so to visit the little village where much of the series was filmed and since Pride and Prejudice is my favourite book ever – well you can understand my emotions.

The village did not disappoint, it was picture postcard perfect. Loved it.

O.M.G!!! That's TOTALLY awesome! I watch P&P EVERY night, I go to sleep to it. Know it word for word and get slightly confuddled every year or so when I re-read the book and notice the slight differences. Anywho, my point is that I'm totally jealous! I know ages ago I looked it up but is the house they filmed for Longbourne near the village they used for Meryton or not?

Sounds FABULOUS!

I haven't watched my BBC P&P for a while but I'm sure in the extras there are scenes of Lacock :) I'd die a happy woman if I was to ever bump into Mr Darcy, oops, Firth :goodvibes

Please tell me the zebra burgers were not made out of real dead zebras of the animal kind? I'm hoping you mean they were striped chicken burgers on the grill? I could not imagine why anyone would want to kill and eat a zebra unless they were really hungry and that's all they had to live on. Please say it ain't so.

Awesome updates. I love reading about your travels, plus your sense of humour has me cracking up all the time!

Awesome day out! I love Avebury - I agree it has an atmosphere that Stonehenge doesn't and the lack of crowds is always good! The first time we took our DD was when she was around 6 and DH told her the story about the Barber Surgeon being buried under one of the stones and to watch out as sometimes his hand is said to rise up and grab people -or some such nonsense - I mean honestly-she was 6!! Result one fascinated yet terrified child. I love the "pyramid" nearby too (Silbury Hill)-did you drive past that?

A really eerie 1970's children's BBC TV series (only watched it again recently borrowed from our library), Children of the Stones, is based in Avebury if you are interested in seeing if your library has it when you get home.

If anyone reading this is planning a trip to the UK and touring with their own car, nearby Avebury as well is West Kennet Long Barrow which is fascinating excavated Neolithic burial tomb you just explore yourself.

Sounds like you really picked a great bus tour Miss Shuttergirl. You are having an amazing trip! Really enjoying sharing it with you and yes, your telling brings it all vividly to life!

Good decision giving Madame Toussads a miss - that is just too crowded :scared1:

The tour sounds great and very interesting. Personally I'm not big on Pride & Prejudice, but I can understand your thrill at getting to see something so close to your heart :goodvibes You really are having great luck with tours :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter