Adventurers….
Mom………Mid 40’s
Samantha…..16dd
Elvis………..9ds

Staying at home during this trip….
Dad………..Mid 40’s
Claire………6dd

Day One

We couldn’t be anymore excited today! We arrived at the Philadelphia airport @ 2:30pm. At baggage claim we were met by our Limo driver (he was holding a sign with our name).
When we walked over to show the driver which bags were ours another person with the tour company (I didn’t write down her name and I didn’t see her again) came over to welcome us, waited with us and then walked with us to the Limo – around 10 minutes or so.
Our driver was great and the ride was around 15min to the Hotel. When we stepped out of the Limo we were greeted by one of our ABD guides, Cheryl. She gave us our room key and a map of the area. We had about 2 hrs until our group meet.
We dropped off our stuff (our luggage was brought up for us) and then headed out for a walk around the area. We walked around the area with the Polish America Center, Old St Joseph Church, etc… And we walked through an area with lots of old row houses – a couple of the dates on the houses were 1765 & 1810! In our hometown you don’t see houses this old! LOL! After about an hour of walking around we decided to go back to our room and clean up for our meet & dinner.

IMG_4317.jpg

Our *meet & greet* -- what fun! There was an open bar and appetizers! LOL! I was happy to finally meet *IRL* someone that I had been talking to on the Disboards since we first booked the trip! We all took turns introducing our families and what we were looking forward to about the trip. They gave every one their Lanyards with name tags as we entered the room.
They took the *Junior Adventurers* out into the hall and gave a talk to them about what to expect and they were given a Disney Adventurers Passport – a place they can write notes about the trip, etc…
At about 5:45 we started our short walk to dinner – City Tavern, first opened in 1773. We had a VERY special guest meet us out front on the steps – Ben Franklin! We were then lead to a private room. After our orders were taken every family group had the chance to get their picture taken with Ben Franklin. After everyone was back in the dining room Ben Franklin returned and told a fascinating story of how he ended up in Philadelphia and what he did during his lifetime! Speaking for our family – he was VERY entertaining!!
After dinner we choose to go back to our hotel room – we were exhausted!

IMG_4326.jpg

When we first arrived , that afternoon, there were wonderful gifts from ABD! I’m sure they won’t always be the same so I won’t post pics or give details but, it was a very nice surprise for us!
One thing that is waiting for you is a detailed Itinerary booklet and menus to place your dinner orders for a couple of the restaurants (Washington DC & Williamsburg).

The hotel was very nice and we really liked our room. From the window in our room you could see the Benjamin Franklin bridge that crosses into New Jersey. Here is the view at night from our room --

IMG_4336.jpg

I will continue the report but, it's taking a while to type everything from my notes! LOL!

Day 2…..

Breakfast by 8:40 and then meet in the lobby by 8:45. There were plenty of yummy things to choose from with the breakfast buffet!

9:00am as we walked out front of the hotel there was a *Trolly* for us to board. As we boarded we were meet by our guide, dressed in period costume, for the morning . She gave a wonderful running narration of some of the history of Philadelphia before we arrived at the National Constitution Center.

IMG_4341.jpg

At the National Constitution Center we saw a WONDERful narration of the Constitution and what it has meant for the US and the world. Then we walked around the rest of the building and one of the rooms is the *Signer* room which is filled with life size statues of all the signers of the Constitution!

IMG_4351.jpg

Afterwards our guide then took us across the street to the gravesite of Ben Franklin and his wife.
Then we walked across the street, again, to the US Mint! There we were able to go on a quick self guided tour.
After the tour of the US Mint we walked over to the Liberty Bell Center to see the Liberty Bell!!! Our guide was able to give us wonderful stories and information while we were there --- be aware that at the Liberty Bell there is an extensive search of your belongings. At least there was of mine! LOL!
After the Liberty Bell we walked over to Independence Hall! At Independence Hall you take a fantastic guided tour (it is run by the National Parks Service) of the building. You get to see the room were the Declaration of Independence was written and signed! One of the really cool things is the chair that George Washington sat in while he presided over the meetings.

IMG_4367.jpg

After this tour we got back on the trolley for a short ride to an area where we could find a place to eat lunch and do some quick souvenir shopping. After lunch we wanted to participate in an *optional* activity that ABD sponsored – Colonial Quest. I HIGHLY recommend doing this!!! It was so much fun. It is a *scavenger hunt* with a story that is done by a group called *Once Upon A Nation*.

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4400.jpg

After the *hunt* was over we had *on our own time* for the rest of the afternoon and evening. We (myself and my children) went with another family (Disboard member Dingoballs and his sister, Angela) on a Duck Tour! Here is a pic of my children, my self & Dingoballs, Allen is behind me.

IMG_4421.jpg

004_4.jpg

We had lot so fun on the Duck Tour – the kids and I had done one in Little Rock, AR years ago. If you ever get the chance I highly recommend taking one!

After the tour was over we walked back to the Hotel – with all intentions of CRASHING for the evening! LOL! But, 16dd & 9ds had the nerve to want dinner! LOL! So, after we cooled down for a little bit we walked done to the lobby to ask our ABD guides where would be a good place to eat (on the days that we had on our own evenings they would be in the hotel lobby for a couple of hours so that we could ask them questions about restaurants, places to see, etc…). We told them we were interested in getting a real Philly Cheese steak! Cheryl and Tracy recommended Campo’s (they were featured on Food Network along with the place we went to for dessert!). It was an easy walk from the hotel and the cheesesteak was YUMMY! http://www.camposdeli.com/

P1010018.jpg

After dinner we walked about a block and had dessert at The Franklin Fountain. http://www.franklinfountain.com/

P1010020.jpg

P1010019.jpg

Finally full and getting to be twilight I convinced my children it was time to get back to the Hotel!

No, it is not cold but, 9ds LOVES to wear *hoodies* and he bought that one at lunch time.

Love your trip report so far. Philadelphia, Washington and Williamsburg are some of my favorite cities. It is great hearing our Adventures by Disney shows them. Your family is just so cute :thumbsup2 Thanks for taking the time to write your report.

Some misc. things that I want to add ---

When ever you get on the bus for the day you will be offered bottled water. ;) I think it is important to know that! LOL! I made sure to always have a bottle for myself and my children. We did our tour in August and it gets hot! LOL!

On Day 2 during the *Colonial Experience* about mid way through we did have a drink & snack break worked in without anyone breaking character. :)

There are several of the Disney *extras* that I won't mention in my report. That is either because I was specifically asked not to or I just don't want to spoil some of the surprises! ;)

I think everyone knows by now that you will get a pin everyday -- it goes with the theme for the day. You get a lanyard on the first night and you can add your pins. I'm sure in several of my pics you an see the lanyard/pins. We wore ours everyday. There is a name tag on the bottom of the lanyard - I need that sometimes! LOL! It also helps you to be identified as part of *the group*.

There are snacks available on the bus.

I can't say enough good things about our trip. We had a really good time. We are looking forward to planning an ABD in 2009 with friends we made on this trip. If our 2008 wasn't already full with other trips we would do one in 2008, also! LOL!

There is LOTS of walking so, if you have a child that can't handle lots of walking you may want to reconsider..... that is why DH stayed home with our 6dd. She is very small for her age (3' tall & around 30lbs) so, it would have been very difficult for her to keep up.
There was a 7yr girl on this trip (the youngest in our group) and she kept up just fine.

All of the hotels were chosen because of being centrally located for that tour.

The Itinerary booklet is FANTASTIC! It gives you all of the needed information for the trip. Including all of the times for meals, bus pick up, luggage pick up, etc....

At the Meet and Greet you will also be given a handout with everyone's names grouped by family. I really tried to remember everyone's name! But, the name tags do help. ;)

We had a small group - 21. My 16dd was the only teenager but, she didn't mind. We were fairly busy the entire time.

In a little bit I'll post the rest of the days... I've got to get the kids going for the day! LOL!

Fellow Texan here!:flower3: Thank you so much for this trip report. We are planning to do one in summer 2009 and are soaking in all the information we can. I will have a DD7 and a DS 12 at that time. This is one of our top contenders (I'm torn between this one and Wyoming) and you make it sound like so much fun! I look forward to the rest of your report!

Day 3

On the road to Washington DC!

Luggage pick up @ 8am; Breakfast until 8:45; Bus departs @ 9am

We meet our bus driver this morning, Jerry – we had the same driver until the end of the trip! He was wonderful – starting with the fact that he brought us real Philly pretzels for our bus trip! YUMMY!!!!

During the bus trip we watched a Disney movie that went with the theme of the trip so far….any guesses? ;)

012_12.jpg

It was a 3 hr drive to Washington. When we arrived in DC we picked up another guide, Jeff – he was our private guide for the entire DC part of the trip. He was very helpful to our family (and I know he was to others) when we asked him for either suggestions, or directions for our *free afternoons*.

Our first stop in DC was LUNCH! We ate at ESPN zone. We were in a private room and enjoyed a buffet lunch. Chicken strips, Ziti, mini hamburgers, several different salads, fruits and desserts. ESPN zone was also very generous and gave everyone a game card to use in their video game area downstairs – the entire downstairs is different games, including a Hockey shoot out area!

After lunch was our Bike the Sites trip!!!!!! I will repost what I posted on another thread --
The bike tour was/is FANTASTIC!!! It really is for all ages (and ability). Remember to dress for the weather and wear loose fitting clothing so, as not to get *too* hot!

They were able to fit 9ds for a bike -- although the set up if it didn't work out was a great *add on bike* and several of the kids did that! There were 3 people on our tour that needed the use of electric scooters instead of bikes -- they didn't have any mobility issues except they didn't know how to ride a bike. :) So, if you don't bike don't worry Disney has it worked out! They had a separate tour from us but, they did meet up with us at one of the monuments.

Even though it was very hot that day while you are riding you get such a nice breeze (and ABD does give you *cooldanas* in your arrival package!). There is also water in a holder on your bike. There are plenty of stops along the way -- in case you can't coordinate drinking water and biking at the same time. ;)
The bike tour guides are lots of fun and informative. You get to see many of the sights and monuments. Ex: Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Washington Monument, White House, WW II, Vietnam, Einstein statue, etc….
On our bike tour we did have a couple of casualties -- including one woman that had to fly home early. She was an older woman that fell off of her bike within the first 5 min. Her dd & 2 grandsons were on the bike tour (her dh had decided not to do the bike portion) and her dd told me that her mother was very accident prone. I was grateful that 16dd didn't see her fall since that would have caused her to freak and jump off her bike -- I've seen her do that before at home. ;)

The other *casualty* was a woman (30's?) that became overheated but, didn't want to give up. She and her dh wore jeans for the bike ride (it was in the 90's). Her face was a deep red color after the bike ride -- the last half block is an incline up to the hotel. But, by the time dinner rolled around she looked fine! And I really thought she might need to see a Dr! LOL!

017_17.jpg

If anyone has any specific questions I will be happy to answer what I can in my report!
I want to make sure that I report the type of information that would have really helped me!

After the bike ride, it ended at the hotel, we went to our room and had a shower! LOL! We then got ready for our dinner. Dinner was at a lovely waterfront restaurant in Georgetown. From the patio you could see the Watergate Hotel and the Kennedy Center.
Jeff, our guide, accompanied us to the restaurant. On the drive he told us many interesting stories and pointed out many of the sites we passed.

021_21.jpg

Back to the hotel and to SLEEP!!!

Love your trip report so far. Philadelphia, Washington and Williamsburg are some of my favorite cities. It is great hearing our Adventures by Disney shows them. Your family is just so cute :thumbsup2 Thanks for taking the time to write your report.

Thank you!!! The 3 of us had never been to that part of the US (Dh and the older 2 children, now 27 & 24, have been to those areas.). We booked last November and had been really looking forward to the trip -- we weren't disappointed!

Fellow Texan here!:flower3: Thank you so much for this trip report. We are planning to do one in summer 2009 and are soaking in all the information we can. I will have a DD7 and a DS 12 at that time. This is one of our top contenders (I'm torn between this one and Wyoming) and you make it sound like so much fun! I look forward to the rest of your report!

Y'all will have a GREAT time! I can't say enough good things about this trip. We learned sooo much and some stuff we already knew but, it just really made it seem more *real*. kwim? And it really developed 9ds love for Ben Franklin and George Washington. He considers them his new all time heros!

If you have specific questions please don't hesitate to ask!!! I'm sure there will be lots of things that I forget to talk about! LOL! I did take lots of notes. ;)

Hey that is in my backyard! Hoping on to read.....popcorn::

I hope you enjoy the report! :) I'll post more this afternoon and evening. Gotta do some school work with my children! LOL!

I hope this isn't a silly question, but what is an "add on bike"? Is it a little buggy that attaches onto the back of the bike (I've seen those here) or is an attachment that allows them to peddle, kind of like a bicycle built for two?

Thanks!

I hope this isn't a silly question, but what is an "add on bike"? Is it a little buggy that attaches onto the back of the bike (I've seen those here) or is an attachment that allows them to peddle, kind of like a bicycle built for two?

Thanks!

Not a silly question at ALL!! I wondered the same thing before our trip! LOL! It is an extension to the bike with peddles. Kind of like a bicycle built for two! Before our trip 9ds was really worried that if he couldn't ride his own bike that he would end up in a little buggy behind me! LOL!

Looks like you had a blast. I live in NJ and haven't been to Philly since 7th grade in 1991.

OMGosh! LOL! We really enjoyed the entire trip. I would love to go back to all of the locations and spend more time.

Love your report and, especially, the photos! You look like a terrific, fun family. So great to see vacation photos with smiling kids, who look happy to be on the trip! I think this sounds like a wonderful ABD trip - hope I'll get to do this one myself, sometime.

I enjoyed reading it to. I have not been to DC in long time .It must have been
when as a family my father took my brother to college in Maryland. I have not been to Philly. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Great trip report Stepht5! It brings back some great memories. I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of the trip. Thanks for taking the time to write the report.

I would highly recommend "Spirit of America" for anyone who's interested in seeing the sights and learning about the history of our country's founding.

Our adventure was really fun and enjoyable. A lot of credit goes to Cheryl and Tracy, our 2 ABD guides. They were the BEST!

Love your report and, especially, the photos! You look like a terrific, fun family. So great to see vacation photos with smiling kids, who look happy to be on the trip! I think this sounds like a wonderful ABD trip - hope I'll get to do this one myself, sometime.

Thank you! Yes, my children are usually very happy! And they LOVE to travel! Just like their mom and dad! :goodvibes There wasn't anytime on this trip, that I can remember, that either one of them complained.

I hope you get a chance to experience this ABD!

I enjoyed reading it to. I have not been to DC in long time .It must have been
when as a family my father took my brother to college in Maryland. I have not been to Philly. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Thank you! I hope that you will post after your Italy trip! We're hoping to do Italy in 2009!

Great trip report Stepht5! It brings back some great memories. I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of the trip. Thanks for taking the time to write the report.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! If you have anything to add --- please do! LOL! Or if Angela wants to add anything.....tell her to make it *G* rated! :rotfl: :rotfl:

I would highly recommend "Spirit of America" for anyone who's interested in seeing the sights and learning about the history of our country's founding.

Our adventure was really fun and enjoyable. A lot of credit goes to Cheryl and Tracy, our 2 ABD guides. They were the BEST!

Both of those are so true! I hope we run into Cheryl & Tracy, again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter