Trail from FW to Wilderness

anBn
Rode by on the bus and there is a path being worked on. If I go back that way Ill snap a pic

🤞🤞🤞🤞 I hope it’s coming back!! Maybe the DVC cabins gave them the push.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. More dining options and 'upscale' dining at WL. And I daresay the DVC crowd would appreciate an easier way to get to WL than the bus or driving their own car, like say a golf cart or bicycles. Were golf carts ever allowed on the 'old' trail?

I'm fine with 'The Hoop' and the new TE 'grab n go', but a table service eatery at FtW would still be nice.

. Were golf carts ever allowed on the 'old' trail?
Back in the early day of GC's at the Fort you could take it to the Lodge and park it in the circle at the end of the path. There were no charging provisions so numerous dead carts had to be retrieved by CM's along with the ones that Lodge guests failed to return. Also some decided that walking from the path to the Lodge was too far so they then drove up further. There was also some racing occurring along the path. So what happened, signs soon went up and carts were no longer allowed to be taken over.

Back in the early day of GC's at the Fort you could take it to the Lodge and park it in the circle at the end of the path. There were no charging provisions so numerous dead carts had to be retrieved by CM's along with the ones that Lodge guests failed to return. Also some decided that walking from the path to the Lodge was too far so they then drove up further. There was also some racing occurring along the path. So what happened, signs soon went up and carts were no longer allowed to be taken over.

And that, I suppose, is another reason we can't have nice things, right?

I wonder, what with wanting to make DVC cabins 'attractive', if they'll widen the path and perhaps put in painted lanes, speed bumps, and bollards. Maybe a traffic light or two. Put a security 'cruiser GC' with a radar gun in the bushes. How 'bout a sniper tower? lol

I live near a large retirement community that encourages GC use and they've pretty much had to do all of that. Well, maybe not the sniper tower. But I bet they're thinking of it. "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" has nothing on some of the residents!!

Last edited:
Yup @StormyCA I live in an over 55 community where everybody has a GC. Stop signs apparently are only for cars. It's nothing to have 2 or 3 golf carts stopped together blocking the road. And no, I don't live in the villages. LOL

The place near us is part of a well known 'rather upscale' retirement community company, initials 'SC'. There are quite a few of them in the Southwest. I'm not sure if that company has 'infiltrated' FLA yet lol. It doesn't allow on street or driveway parking, your cars must be in your garage so when you drive through it at times it's actually kinda creepy and 'deserted' looking. And if there are people out front they give you the hairy eyeball as you pass, I assume since they don't recognize the car.

The one near us was able to (pay off the city council for) and build a dedicated GC path out of the development and into a nearby shopping center. Luckily the city required a small barrier between the GC and the 'car lanes'. But, yep, seems that 'golf carts are counted as pedestrians and have the right of way'. Yes, I was told that when a GC didn't stop at a 4 way intersection.🤷🏼‍♀️

The Villages seems to make the news a lot, usually with a 'Children of the Corn' vibe lol.

My development is an RV community. Everybody has, or started out with a motorhome. All the properties have an attached RV garage, RV port, or pad. It's not a problem until spring or fall when people are coming or going and the roads are shared by 45' Class A's pulling cars and oblivious folks puttering down the middle of the road in their GCs.

My development is an RV community. Everybody has, or started out with a motorhome. All the properties have an attached RV garage, RV port, or pad. It's not a problem until spring or fall when people are coming or going and the roads are shared by 45' Class A's pulling cars and oblivious folks puttering down the middle of the road in their GCs.

Oh I've seen a few of those advertised. I think it's a pretty good deal, especially if they have good security on the empty homes when residents are off on long trips.

We haven't 'downsized' yet (we have country acreage & an old farmhouse, far too big at this stage) but that's one of our thoughts on townhome vs 'stand alone' small house.

But I tell ya, deciding on the right housing choice for your 'golden years' is a huge decision with lots to consider.

Too bad we can't get WDW to build a 'retirement Ft W', lol.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. More dining options and 'upscale' dining at WL. And I daresay the DVC crowd would appreciate an easier way to get to WL than the bus or driving their own car, like say a golf cart or bicycles. Were golf carts ever allowed on the 'old' trail?

I'm fine with 'The Hoop' and the new TE 'grab n go', but a table service eatery at FtW would still be nice.
We ate at the new TE a few times in February, I was underwhelmed by the quality of the food. The lodge has a similar setup and the food is presented better and there are more choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter