Transatlantic in both directions?

Following…
I have a medical condition that prevents me to fly. But i need it in reverse.
Sept/oct to states but waiting for TA in spring back is too long
You would need to take other cruise lines. A lot of the other cruise lines have TAs in late November and back in early March. Still would require quite a bit of time spent in Mexico or Canada to not overstay in the USA.

You would need to take other cruise lines. A lot of the other cruise lines have TAs in late November and back in early March. Still would require quite a bit of time spent in Mexico or Canada to not overstay in the USA.
Also if you are visiting on an ESTA, the 90 days does not reset going to Canada or Mexico. You have to visit Central or South America, or somewhere like the ABC islands.

Yes, this is probably a dream of many people; just not feasible due to time, money or other commitments.

I’ve heard of it simply as a wish to avoid flying - not because they are cruisers. And it was the way to get across oceans before jet travel was so accessible. (Over time, air travel really has become more affordable - My airfare to Africa in 1987 is still higher than it would be in 2023. Actually, less than 1/2 the price now. And that’s not adjusted for inflation. We know about cruise costs!)

I would definitely look at various lines as an option - unless you are set on Disney.

Made me think of quotes.

“Very exciting - as a luggage problem!” (Joe vs the Volcano). Actually, just exciting at the prospect of travel.

“Oh, the places you’ll go!” - Dr. Seuss

Hope it works out for you. You see the joy it brings to many of us here. Cheering you on.

Last edited:

Thanks everyone for all of the thoughts and ideas! Like I said, still in the EARLY planning stages. But given the interest, I'll definitely put together a trip report and start that as the planning comes along! Thinking we may have to take a different line over, just because I don't know if we want to do May- October. But will make a final decision on that soon also!

For those looking for other transatlantics, I think Cunard is the only one who does this route between the UK and the US the entire year.

However, Cunard is much more upscale as in dress codes, when you compare it to Disney. More like old school cruising.

For those looking for other transatlantics, I think Cunard is the only one who does this route between the UK and the US the entire year.

However, Cunard is much more upscale as in dress codes, when you compare it to Disney. More like old school cruising.
I have heard that as well, which is a big turn off for me. I think someone once posted on the Dis about how after dinner on formal night, he changed out of his tux into more comfortable clothes. He was told by a crew member later something like, “Sir, may I remind you that it IS still formal night.” :rolleyes:

I know of a guest that took the transatlantic over to Europe thinking it was coming right back. Was SHOCKED she had to get her own way back to NYC since ship would be in Europe for several months.
I've been on several DCL repositioning cruises where the people were shocked that the ship was not taking them back to the embarkation port. People really are that clueless!

I

I may have no choice if i want to get to and from the us without flying and without too much time off.

I would suggest to watch some videos by cruise vloggers. Cunard isn’t as strict as they once was, but it is a step up from Disney. Also in entertainment they are quite different. But who knows,maybe it is your vibe. Hardly any children.

Out of curiosity, I added up all the cheapest fares for all the voyages and it was $60,132 for all Europe voyages plus $10,165 for the TA's, so if you have a spare $70,297 for the cheapest inside rooms, you, too can spend all of summer 2024 on the Dream! :)
Does that include gratuity, drinks, and tours?

I know a lot of people over on cruise critic do this on the Queen Mary 2. 7 days over and back.

Does that include gratuity, drinks, and tours?
Haha we wish! 😂
No, just the fare on DCL website. Probably add 20% to that figure at least for all the “stuff!” Great point! I mean, you could do all ports on your own and not drink, but the gratuities are important!

Haha we wish! 😂
No, just the fare on DCL website. Probably add 20% to that figure at least for all the “stuff!” Great point! I mean, you could do all ports on your own and not drink, but the gratuities are important!
One of Disney's big positives is that you bring on your own beer and wine in every port. That's an added bonus in Europe because they have great beer and wine.

It would be hard to go to Europe and just eat the cruise food. My favorite thing to do in Europe is try the cuisine. I've always spent more money eating in port than I thought I was going to. Definitely add on another 20% if not more.

One of Disney's big positives is that you bring on your own beer and wine in every port. That's an added bonus in Europe because they have great beer and wine.

It would be hard to go to Europe and just eat the cruise food. My favorite thing to do in Europe is try the cuisine. I've always spent more money eating in port than I thought I was going to. Definitely add on another 20% if not more.
Even if you really liked the DCL food, you'd surely be tired of it by the end of the summer. They'll be rotating the same menus with each new cruise! Fortunately, there's plenty else to eat off the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter