Transatlantic - Tell Me All the Things!

kathi

DIS Veteran
We are considering the EBTA in May 2025 - I would appreciate hearing prior experiences. Pros and Cons. It will be 2 adults and we know we love sea days on DCL...but this is a LOT of sea days. Do they do special things since it's such a long, unique cruise? Extra movies and shows? How are the seas? I assume there are not many kids - are the adult areas overly crowded? Please tell me all the things! (My TA is going to price it for us tomorrow.)

We are considering the EBTA in May 2025 - I would appreciate hearing prior experiences. Pros and Cons. It will be 2 adults and we know we love sea days on DCL...but this is a LOT of sea days. Do they do special things since it's such a long, unique cruise? Extra movies and shows? How are the seas? I assume there are not many kids - are the adult areas overly crowded? Please tell me all the things! (My TA is going to price it for us tomorrow.)
We've done 2 TAs on DCL (East and Westbound). My preference is the westbound one - you gain 6 hours overall instead of losing 6 hours overall. Yes, there were "special" things due to the length of the cruise. Can't say there were extra movies, as those are pretty much dictated by available show times/space for storage. There were several extra shows in the Walt Disney Theater using the cast members from the "regular" shows onboard.

The seas - who knows, it's mother nature and the ocean - could be rough, could be glorious, We've had both.

Last edited:
We have done 2 also. One in 2015 and another this past September and we loved them both. They usually have a Disney expert on board to give talks in the theater which is always interesting. Hardly any kids at all.

This link will get you to the information from the May 2023 TA.

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...ic-cruise-from-miami-to-barcelona-may-7-2023/

I have sailed a TA twice. The first cruise was BORING. It really is the Cruise Director and Staff, in their preparation of the schedule, that determines the activities. We had a lot of time when there seemed to be nothing offered (my teen niece thought so, too). I have no particular memory of the second sailing (so assume it was a typical Disney cruise).

What I like on a cruise is adult trivia, all varieties, several times a day. Movies (that I want to see - typically, recent Disney releases) in the Buena Vista Theater and the late night showing on the Jumbotron.

I find a Panama Canal cruise to be a similar experience.

Definitely read over the Personal Navigators and see how that cruise would have been for you.

Menus - MDR does not repeat menus.

We are considering that cruise, too. My husband has done many TAs on other cruise lines (one on DCL) and loves them. For me it would be a new experience, but we did a PC cruise in 2014 with many sea days as well.

I thought DCL did a great job with keeping us entertained on those sea days. My tag line was given to me by the tag fairy (way back then) from the trip report I wrote about the PC cruise.

One thing I did not like about such a long cruise was that I got tired of the MDR food. Yes, the menus didn’t repeat, but I just got tired of that style.

Another thing that I noted was that those long cruises have a far larger proportion of long time cruisers. The Platinum/Gold reception was extremely crowded. So obviously this has an influence on activity booking and such.

We have done 3 WBTA 2010 2015, 2018, and 1 EBTA. 2022. All on the Magic, she was not full and there wasn't many kids, extra lectures in the theatre every day, always interesting. Weather was good, once they locked the doors on the port side because of the wind, but it was only one day.
Food in the MDR was good and because the servers didn't have lots of tables to take care of they seemed to have more time to look after you.
The 2022 EBTA was a little different for us as we were still covid concerned and we wore masks indoors but that was our choice, pleased we did as there was quite a few cases by the end.
We were also thinking of the EBTA next year but the price of airfare and hotel stays either side of the cruise have put us off. We used to use air miles for previous flights but not enough left now.
Would definitely recommend the transatlantic.
Regards Michael

We've done both ways.

I will say, I enjoyed my Magic EBTA much more than my Dream WBTA. It was my first time on the Dream so I don't know if it's a ship thing or what, but it felt much less special. Like someone said, it could be a cruise director thing but I liked the cruise director on the worse cruise better, so I don't know. I heard someone else said that it didn't feel like a special cruise, just like a regular cruise, only longer.

There aren't as many kids, but if you're traveling with them, there are plenty of potential friends.

The only time I felt the adult areas were too crowded were a couple of trivia sessions (mostly in the pub, which I don't understand why they continue to have them there since they're so crowded).

Like others said, menu's don't repeat, but occasionally you'll find a certain dish repeat. I often found myself eating just an app and dessert because like someone said, you just kind of get sick of a 4 course meal every night. Lunch at the buffet is a lot of the same thing, but they also have a special section each day that rotates (again, I found the Magic better and more variety).

Our first was completely smooth, while the second we dodged several hurricanes so it was a little rocky at times, but the crew does their best to keep everything as comfortable as possible.

I am in the same boat as you (pun not intended). I love Disney cruises (I have done three and a fourth is booked for November), but I have been eyeing a transatlantic as my senior trip for about a year. I want to go with a couple of my friends, but they have neither cruised nor flown before, so I am curious if they can handle it (especially with six days at sea in a row and the nine hour flight back from Barcelona). All three of us are excited for the trip, so I think it will work out fine since I told them this trip will be focused on relaxing because it's such a long journey. The one big problem is the price. Do you think when the guaranteed verandahs drop, the price will drop significantly (more than $1,000)? Also, any recommendations to try and get cheaper flights back to the US?

Hope we see each other aboard!

We did the EBTA in 2019 and loved it soooooo much. It was so relaxing. The toughest part about all the sea days in a row was losing 4 hours in a row, that is a weird adjustment, Cabanas started to be open later because people were just not showing up at normal breakfast hours! I really loved the ports we visited. Here's my trip report. There were definitely extra things: more cooking demonstrations (there was a chef on board from WDW), there are some paid events like "Canvas & Cocktails", there are some adult-only events in the kids clubs at night, there were a ton of characters that you don't always see, plus character photos with "Mickey & Friends" (8 characters at once!), more shows and different performers... nothing really repeats from shows to food at MDR, you get ALL the menus... it's so great, and so relaxing. Ours had basically one port every day for the back half of the cruise and I think DCL has cut out some ports now.

Oh, re: kids - there are of course less kids than a typical DCL cruise but it's also a May cruise and a lot of kids were out of school by that point so it was not devoid of kids at all, I mean, I brought 3 of my own lol. Oh, another fun thing, not sure if they brought this back yet, but they did a "coast to coast" sleepover for the kids one night. The one thing though is that lack of kids also means very very crowded adult areas at times.

We did the WBPC in 2022 and loved it just as much, in some ways it was better in that the sea days are spread out a bit more.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as you (pun not intended). I love Disney cruises (I have done three and a fourth is booked for November), but I have been eyeing a transatlantic as my senior trip for about a year. I want to go with a couple of my friends, but they have neither cruised nor flown before, so I am curious if they can handle it (especially with six days at sea in a row and the nine hour flight back from Barcelona). All three of us are excited for the trip, so I think it will work out fine since I told them this trip will be focused on relaxing because it's such a long journey. The one big problem is the price. Do you think when the guaranteed verandahs drop, the price will drop significantly (more than $1,000)? Also, any recommendations to try and get cheaper flights back to the US?

First, you mention senior trip, so I just am going to mention that you and your friends all need to be over 18. If one of you is still a minor at sailing, they need someone over 21 in the stateroom.

On price: it is very likely that there will be restricted rates. You can get an idea with what they might be by looking at this year’s Transatlantic. They have restricted rates for all categories. Most likely these prices will come out after pay in full date for the cruise, so you would have to wait and gamble a bit. But I think in recent years all EBTA ended up with guaranteed rates at some point.

Flights back: first, if you are young a 9 hour flight should be easy to deal with. Don’t let that deter you and your friends. Also, the flight to the USA is usually easier as you just spend a long day on the plane. On price: getting back from Barcelona after deboarding is difficult anyway as most flights to the US leave in the morning. I think DCL recommends not a flight before noon and I would follow that advice for a TA cruise. The ship needs to be cleared into Europe when arriving and you have to go through passport control and customs. So, if you want to get back immediately you won’t have a lot of choice.

There are a few cheaper airlines: Norse (however, they might not be financially stable, so only buy a ticket fairly short notice with them, not a year out), Iceland Air and TAP often are lower priced than standard carriers. But only TAP would offer flights from Barcelona. They actually do have a program where it’s easy to book a flight with a layover in Lisbon. But if you want a cheap flight, you might need to get yourself to London or Paris first. It might still be cheaper to fly there and then onwards with a cheaper carrier. Of course this adds accommodation costs, too. Be careful when booking European cheap carriers: most of the time it makes sense to book a fare that includes luggage as the fees for addding luggage later are higher than the price difference for the fares. And adding luggage at the airport is prohibitively expensive. Also some only allow a personal item, if you bring a roller suitcase into the cabin, they charge for that, too.

The cheapest way to fly one way across the Atlantic is by miles. A lot of airlines have credit cards that give you a sign up bonus of a nice amount of miles (which should cover the one way ticket) if you spend a certain amount in the first few months. If you are as young as you seem to be, this might be something for your parents yo look into. Usually the airline miles programs do allow to book tickets for other people, especially family. There is a whole thread about credit cards on the Budget Board on here which has heaps of info, also about what not to do!

Airlines and credit card companies have heavily devalued their mileage/rewards programs through the years. The introductory offer is tempting, but these cards have ever increasing large annual fees and most people simply won't earn enough in rewards to offset the ongoing annual fees. These cards only work for people w/large discretionary spending and/or people whose employer reimburses them large spending. That's not going to include students :). Most students wouldn't have the established credit to qualify for these offers, anyway.

Secondly, "free" transatlantic tickets often charge $200 in taxes and fees. If you spend some time looking for airfare and get creative, you can do better. The downside is that these often aren't "clean" itineraries. For example, last October we took a transatlantic cruise on Royal out of Rome. We bought tickets in "premium" on Norse Atlantic from Los Angeles to London for $310 total. We spent a couple days in London then traveled Easyjet to Rome for $70. Total spend was less than $400 (including bags, etc.) and premium class on Norse was wonderful.

When we looked at the EB transatlantic this year, ITA Airways had a fare from Barcelona to Los Angeles (via Rome) for $360, including a checked bag. The fare required an overnight. We ended up booking a fare on another airline that avoided the overnight for $385 -- but it's a roundtrip. We plan on canceling the return. The fare going from XXX-BCN-XXX was $1500; fares from Europe-USA-Europe are almost always cheaper.

First, you mention senior trip, so I just am going to mention that you and your friends all need to be over 18. If one of you is still a minor at sailing, they need someone over 21 in the stateroom.

On price: it is very likely that there will be restricted rates. You can get an idea with what they might be by looking at this year’s Transatlantic. They have restricted rates for all categories. Most likely these prices will come out after pay in full date for the cruise, so you would have to wait and gamble a bit. But I think in recent years all EBTA ended up with guaranteed rates at some point.

Flights back: first, if you are young a 9 hour flight should be easy to deal with. Don’t let that deter you and your friends. Also, the flight to the USA is usually easier as you just spend a long day on the plane. On price: getting back from Barcelona after deboarding is difficult anyway as most flights to the US leave in the morning. I think DCL recommends not a flight before noon and I would follow that advice for a TA cruise. The ship needs to be cleared into Europe when arriving and you have to go through passport control and customs. So, if you want to get back immediately you won’t have a lot of choice.

There are a few cheaper airlines: Norse (however, they might not be financially stable, so only buy a ticket fairly short notice with them, not a year out), Iceland Air and TAP often are lower priced than standard carriers. But only TAP would offer flights from Barcelona. They actually do have a program where it’s easy to book a flight with a layover in Lisbon. But if you want a cheap flight, you might need to get yourself to London or Paris first. It might still be cheaper to fly there and then onwards with a cheaper carrier. Of course this adds accommodation costs, too. Be careful when booking European cheap carriers: most of the time it makes sense to book a fare that includes luggage as the fees for addding luggage later are higher than the price difference for the fares. And adding luggage at the airport is prohibitively expensive. Also some only allow a personal item, if you bring a roller suitcase into the cabin, they charge for that, too.

The cheapest way to fly one way across the Atlantic is by miles. A lot of airlines have credit cards that give you a sign up bonus of a nice amount of miles (which should cover the one way ticket) if you spend a certain amount in the first few months. If you are as young as you seem to be, this might be something for your parents yo look into. Usually the airline miles programs do allow to book tickets for other people, especially family. There is a whole thread about credit cards on the Budget Board on here which has heaps of info, also about what not to do!
Thank you so much for the tips!

We do graduate this year, so we all will be 19 and 18 at the time of sailing.

When I was looking at 2024 flights, using the dates of this year's EBTA, I think I came upon TAP. In general, the cheapest tickets I have seen are around $1850 for three people ($617 pp). We do plan on staying in Barcelona for two nights, if we can afford it, since the city is iconic. I don't want to come all that just to not even see the most popular city in the itinerary.

I actually started looking into credit cards today since I turn 18 in under two weeks, and a travel credit card is a great idea! We plan on working full-time in the summer to earn as much money as possible, so I did plan on using a credit card (responsibly, making sure I have the money to pay it off at the time of booking) to book the whole trip, so I can earn cashback or miles. Waiting until the full deposit is required at booking isn't an issue. My mom has good credit, so I will mention the idea of her getting a travel card, but won't be pushy.

Appreciate the advice!

Make sure you understand the current policy regarding selling of alcohol on Disney Cruise Line, if any one of you enjoy a glass of wine or a beer once in a while. Not too long ago they allowed it only for passengers 21+. (Note this may have changed, I remember reading reports on some routes.)

For me one of the biggest downsides was the amount of sea days in a row. Yes, there is some variation in the activities you can do on board, but to me on day 4 I really longed for some land and new sights.

Yes, not a lot of kids, but I didn't feel the adult areas were overcrowded.

It is good value for money, if you look at the price per night on a TA vs. a short cruise.

If everyone is excited, that's great. I would personally be hesitant to do a long cruise for the first cruise.
Will you get 1 or 2 staterooms? Even with a verandah, 4 adults in one room for 2 weeks needs some organization.

Make sure you understand the current policy regarding selling of alcohol on Disney Cruise Line, if any one of you enjoy a glass of wine or a beer once in a while. Not too long ago they allowed it only for passengers 21+. (Note this may have changed, I remember reading reports on some routes.)
I have looked at the policy, and since we are going from the US, that policy is still 21+ no matter if a parent has signed or not. I don't think we can bring alcohol onboard from Portugal or Spain, and Disney confiscates it until after the cruise, either. We plan on trying a drink in the Azores, but we don't really party, so it's fine.
If everyone is excited, that's great. I would personally be hesitant to do a long cruise for the first cruise.
Will you get 1 or 2 staterooms? Even with a verandah, 4 adults in one room for 2 weeks needs some organization.
I actually am a little hesitant to do this cruise with them, which is a reason I decided to make an account on here. I have heard positive and negative things about a TA being a first cruise. I have been looking into many reviews (Disney and non-Disney), and most of them are positive. One that sticks out is World Family Explorers. They're a family of four, was their first cruise, and they enjoyed it and thought the price was worth it (believed they paid a guaranteed rate).

It's going to be 3 adults, so just my friends and I, in one verandah stateroom. Two of us will sleep on the queen and someone can sleep on the sofa bed. I think we will switch every couple nights or so on who gets the queen. I will make us unpack straight away, as I know how horrible it is to live out of a suitcase (I did that on a three night before). We'll make sure we're organized too.

These responses have been very kind, thank you guys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter