Transfer of DVC points

Jaga

Earning My Ears
Please accept my apologies in advance if this should be on the rent/trade board but all the threads there are for actual transactions.....and I wanted the advice of this board.

I am interested in acquiring points for rent/transfer next September. We will be members by then (currently closing) and would prefer to spend another 45 points to increase the size of accomodations..........but do not want to borrow heavily from 2002 (Dec) use year.

Can I book accomodation for 120 points (45-2001 and 75-2002) and then find and use transferred points for the booking, thereby allowing me free and bank forward my 45-2001 points into 2002

.........or do I have to bank the points first, then book smaller accomodation as backup and then acquire points to upgrade.

This may seem a daft question, but I perceive that there indeed may be significant benefits of acquiring points transferred into your DVC membership rather than renting directly.

Am I way off base?

Thanks again

You should be able to book the reservation with banked points then once you have transfered points you can use, you can change and bank the extra 2001 points. That will leave you with banked, curent and tranferred points in 2001 use year (2002) and current and banked points in your 2002 use year. The better option would be to book what you can with current 2001 points then add on to the reservation when you can. Make a cash backup for the extra days which you can cancel if you do not get the transfered points. Also check to see if it's cheaper just to rent a room from Disney insteads of renting points. If there's a weekend involved, it likely will be. I bet for Sept they'll have specials.

Remember that transfered points cannot be banked and that they expire with the use year of the person you borrowed from. Also, you get ONE in or ONE out per year total. So that transfer you are thinking about will be it for both you and the person you borrow from for that year. Of course you could have someone else make the reservation in your name instead of tranferring and link it to what you have already.

Is that once a year transfer once per calender year? or once per use year?

Paul

Originally posted by PKS44
Is that once a year transfer once per calender year? or once per use year?

Paul
My understanding is once per use year.

Another novice question, sorry if this has been addressed ad nauseum- the transfer rules: Is it true you cannot transfer any banked or borrowed points?

Paul

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter