• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transportation question

lpoeppelman

DIS Veteran
We are taking the Pacific Surfliner rail from San Diego and there's a bus we need to connect to for Disneyland, Anaheim Resort Transit ART. Has anyone done this and if so how does this work and much should we pad our return time to catch the train back?

How often does the bus schedule say that the bus leaves? I usually leave an extra ride in the schedule to allow for the bus being late or delays. So if the bus takes 30 minutes and leaves every 15 minutes I would take no later than the 3:15 bus if I had to be somewhere at 4pm. For catching a train, I'd be even earlier since there will be luggage and check in involved.

How often does the bus schedule say that the bus leaves? I usually leave an extra ride in the schedule to allow for the bus being late or delays. So if the bus takes 30 minutes and leaves every 15 minutes I would take no later than the 3:15 bus if I had to be somewhere at 4pm. For catching a train, I'd be even earlier since there will be luggage and check in involved.
Thanks! Don't know the area at all - but we found a bus service that will take us from San Diego. Just trying to figure out where this will take us - if to the gates or if we will need to transfer from another lot like you have to at WDW.

Thanks! Don't know the area at all - but we found a bus service that will take us from San Diego. Just trying to figure out where this will take us - if to the gates or if we will need to transfer from another lot like you have to at WDW.
We initially thought we were taking Pacific Surfliner... but these plans changed. The bus charge is about the same cost and quicker!

I know the OP now has a change in plans, but if there's no checked-in luggage, there's no need to check-in. You simply need your ticket and walk onto the train - either coach or business class. A lot of people don't bother checking in luggage on Amtrak because their carry-on size limits are about the size of airline check-in limits. On most routes, there's no problem as long as you get to the train before the doors close. Most people will have a self-printed e-Ticket these days, but there are several ways to display a ticket. Heck - most conductors will even look up a ticket by name if the passenger forgets it. I've done that when I had a ticket where nothing was legible except for my name and the route.

Amtrak's published requirement to check-in luggage is 45 minutes before the train departs, but I've heard final call announcements for luggage as late as 15 minutes before scheduled departure.

I know the OP now has a change in plans, but if there's no checked-in luggage, there's no need to check-in. You simply need your ticket and walk onto the train - either coach or business class. A lot of people don't bother checking in luggage on Amtrak because their carry-on size limits are about the size of airline check-in limits. On most routes, there's no problem as long as you get to the train before the doors close. Most people will have a self-printed e-Ticket these days, but there are several ways to display a ticket. Heck - most conductors will even look up a ticket by name if the passenger forgets it. I've done that when I had a ticket where nothing was legible except for my name and the route.

Amtrak's published requirement to check-in luggage is 45 minutes before the train departs, but I've heard final call announcements for luggage as late as 15 minutes before scheduled departure.
The last time I took the train from Union Station you have to convert your online reservation to a timed ticket unless you had a reserved seat. This had to be done at the machines in the lobby area. Previously I had just claimed the reservation at any machine and boarded. I believe this was in 2013, maybe 2012. I also had an employee turned away from taking an earlier train when his transfer from LAX was earlier than expected. He bought a new ticket. When I called for a refund they told me that reservations are now for specific trains when just hopping on the next train had never seen an issue before. Just because the specific process is not a traditional "check in" I would never advise anyone to just get there before the door closes. Especially if the expect to sit together or sit at all.

The last time I took the train from Union Station you have to convert your online reservation to a timed ticket unless you had a reserved seat. This had to be done at the machines in the lobby area. Previously I had just claimed the reservation at any machine and boarded. I believe this was in 2013, maybe 2012. I also had an employee turned away from taking an earlier train when his transfer from LAX was earlier than expected. He bought a new ticket. When I called for a refund they told me that reservations are now for specific trains when just hopping on the next train had never seen an issue before. Just because the specific process is not a traditional "check in" I would never advise anyone to just get there before the door closes. Especially if the expect to sit together or sit at all.

That's not how they handle it at Anaheim. There are numerous stations along the Pacific Surfliner route that aren't staffed and have no means to do anything other than have the passenger board. Here's video of the Surfliner boarding at Anaheim:

The Pacific Surfliner isn't considered "reserved" unless it's a business class reservation or during certain holiday periods (especially around Thanksgiving). I helped a friend of my wife book tickets on the Pacific Surfliner around Thanksgiving one year, and those were reserved seats. However, they had a problem with their connecting bus being stuck in traffic, and they were allowed to take the next train even though it was "reserved". Coach class tickets are considered valid (space available) for any train serving the route from the day on the ticket up to a year. Whether or not it's "unreserved" or "reserved" will be on the ticket. Here's the description:

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Accommodation_C&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1248543010831

Only a few short-distance trains have unreserved coach seating, where tickets are valid on any train unless restricted by the fare paid.

https://www.amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train

Accommodations

It mentions "the fare paid" which may include discount fares. I've taken advantage of a lot of these. The AAA discount requires three days advance purchase, so I couldn't purchase one for the Surfliner for three days ahead and try to use it the day before the date on the ticket. I could use it the same day or almost any day (save when it's considered a reserved route) up to a year. I've also gotten some great 25/50% discounted fares where there were blackout dates, advance purchase requirements, and specific valid dates.

Most people these days buy their tickets online and then present them directly to a conductor. There are some exceptions. I remember they had a different process at Seattle when I took the Coast Starlight. They had a pre-check where one would get a slip from a conductor inside the station that assigned a car. Then there was a coach attendant waiting at each car who would assign the seat. However, that is the only time I've ever boarded Amtrak where I had to do anything more before the train arrived than just have my ticket. I have had a coach attendant scan my ticket outside the door and then hand me a seat check with a preassigned seat, but that was only for a reserved route. Even when the Pacific Surfliner is considered a "reserved" train, they don't assign seats. They won't sell more seats than they have available, but even then it's possible to board with a monthly pass or a 10-ride ticket. The vast majority of Amtrak boarding are where you just get on the train with your ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter