Transportation to/from Late California Grill Reservations??

Help??

DH and I are planning a short adult only, no park trip. First for us! We are looking forward to exploring the resorts and dining at a few restaurants we have never tried. Yay!

We have late reservations at the California Grill. 9:45. Was hoping for 7 or 8 but there has been nothing open for that time. Don’t want to try much earlier than that because of flights, rental car pick up and checking into the hotel. Would like to change before we go to dinner (still not sure a pattered tee shirt dress with a necklace and sandals is dressy enough?).

Anyway, trying to figure out how to get there and back as MK closes at 7:00 that day. We are staying at a Disney Springs hotel, another first - always stayed on property before, and will have a rental car, another first. Kind of like the idea of a cocktail/refreshing drink at the Poly or GF or both depending on how much time we have and how much of the resorts we would like to check out.

Should we walk to DS and take a bus to the Poly, then walk/monorail to GF or CR? Keep an eye on when the monorail stops running? Be at CR almost 2 hours before our dining reservation? Then Uber back to the hotel?

I don’t think we can park at CR and then go to Poly, etc? We would be parked too long? But the car would be back at CR where we would have dinner to end the night.

Maybe just Uber to Poly and back to hotel at the end of the night?

I’m just not sure how to handle this one. If I cannot get a reservation for a bit earlier then all Disney transportation will not be running by the time we are done dining?

Maybe we should not try the resort hopping before dinner. It would be much simpler.

Will we be rushed because the reservation is so late? We have never eaten here and are looking forward to it. It won’t be as enjoyable if we are pushed out the door - not that we are planning on being there for hours. Ya know? Hopefully we can get something a bit earlier but it’s the Friday of Labor Day weekend so I’m not holding my breath.....

Thank you for any advice on this ‘first’ for transportation for us!!

Unless your reasoning for not driving your own car is because you want to have lots of drinks, you should just drive to the Contemporary. Since you have a reservation it won't be a problem, even if you come somewhat early to have some drinks. If you want to drink and not worry about driving, Uber around to wherever you want to go. You can walk between Polynesian and GF, as long as your sandals are comfy enough. :teeth:

The only potential issue is when you are going, will the resort monorail still run after the park closes, and if so for how long? I am not sure how it is going right now, but I'm sure it's in one of the transportation threads.

Your outfit will be fine and no your dinner won't be rushed :)

First, while you didn't ask, I wouldn't book an ADR if you're arriving later than four. But that's just me.
will have a rental car
Drive to each resort, and drink lightly. Or, yes, rideshare. If you start at the Poly, you would not be able to walk to or from Contemporary. Or, like you mused, rideshare or taxi to Poly, walk to GF, rideshare/taxi to Contemporary, then back to your resort. By the time you finish eating (actually, by the time you start) all park transportation should be closed. Likely even Disney Springs.
still not sure a pattered tee shirt dress with a necklace and sandals is dressy enough?
It'll be fine.

Thanks!

Putting this in black and white as well as hearing from you both has helped!

We will arrive around 3:30. Which gives us some time to settle in.

Depending on how we are feeling, we will either drive to CR and then resort hop - keeping an eye on monorail shut down time or ride share back to CR. Or ride share it all - may be dragging by the end of the night and leave the driving to someone else.

Have some time to decide! Definitely looking forward to this short vacation - work has been crazy busy with travel, etc. so these will be my first official few days off this year! I am ready!! Trying hard not to plan much to allow for relaxation. Only 2 adr’s.

Thank you for the info on attire also. I did find some threads stating that people arrive in all sorts of outfits and am feeling more comfortable in my easy to pack choice.

I agree with driving to CR. If you have a rental car, its your best option.
You will see people dressed in all sorts of clothes at CG. People used to dress up more to dine there, not so much any more. Over the last few years, they don't seem to even enforce the dress code as much.
Still one of our favorite restaurants at WDW. Enjoy!
We love the adult only trips.

Disney Bussing will still be operational from Disney Springs to resorts and resorts to Disney Springs. If you want Disney Transportation you could take Disney Bus from AKL to Disney Springs and then a bus from Disney Springs to Contemporary.

Disney Bussing will still be operational from Disney Springs to resorts and resorts to Disney Springs. If you want Disney Transportation you could take Disney Bus from AKL to Disney Springs and then a bus from Disney Springs to Contemporary.

Buses run until 11:00 to/from DS if it closes at 10:00, correct?

Found a reservation for 9:20 on Saturday which I grabbed instead of Friday. Felt that was a better option - never know with flights and may be too tired by end of day Friday, lol. A bit less time between end of monorail running and the reservation - if we decide to go to Poly or GF prior. Don’t want to be stuck on the other side of the loop!

Still thinking rental car would be best. Have never had a rental car during our stay so why not see how that works for us.

Any recommendations in the Poly or GF that are open for a nice drink? Doesn’t need to have alcohol - looking more for relaxing and maybe a view or an overall feeling of the resort. Just starting to look into options as this is something we haven’t done before either - a trip full of firsts!!

I agree with driving to CR. If you have a rental car, its your best option.
You will see people dressed in all sorts of clothes at CG. People used to dress up more to dine there, not so much any more. Over the last few years, they don't seem to even enforce the dress code as much.
Still one of our favorite restaurants at WDW. Enjoy!
We love the adult only trips.

I am sooo excited about this adult only trip! It will be a different experience but looking forward it! California Grill and Topolino’s - very excited to try these restaurants!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter