Travel between hotels (unable to drive)

Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran
Hi, we are visiting Disneyland in August, after our stay at DLH we are staying at Knotts Berry Farm hotel, what would be the best option for transporting my son and myself (plus luggage) between hotels?

My friend will be heading back to LAX from DLH and would like to know what his options are too.

Then we are travelling from Knotts Berry Farm hotel to Nite Inn near USH, what is the best transport option please (again, it's my son, myself and luggage).

Finally we then need to get from USH area to LAX (DS and me)

Thanks!

Hi, we are visiting Disneyland in August, after our stay at DLH we are staying at Knotts Berry Farm hotel, what would be the best option for transporting my son and myself (plus luggage) between hotels?

My friend will be heading back to LAX from DLH and would like to know what his options are too.

Then we are travelling from Knotts Berry Farm hotel to Nite Inn near USH, what is the best transport option please (again, it's my son, myself and luggage).

Finally we then need to get from USH area to LAX (DS and me)

Thanks!
Between hotels, an Uber or Lyft would probably be easiest. Even with luggage.

Airport shared shuttles may be an option to get back to LAX for both you and your friend if you want the security of arranging the pickup in advance. I don't know companies in that area.

PHXscuba

I'm kind of a fan of public transportation. It's always an adventure in LA and OC. There's a way to take buses from Disneyland to LAX which is cheap, but again - it would be an adventure. I might try it, but then it would depend on your friend's tolerance for occasional aberrant behavior and a good deal of patience. I believe it's possible to get there exclusively on LA Metro starting at the route 460 stop on Harbor and then transfer to the Green Line in Norwalk and then to the LAX/Aviation station before taking the free airport shuttle that hits all terminals. I think the cost would be less than $5 including the TAP fare card which costs $2.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dis...7636c3969!2m2!1d-118.4083509!2d33.9439667!3e3

But for getting from Disneyland to the Knott's Berry Farm Hotel - that's easy. Anaheim Regional (formerly Resort) Transportation will do on-demand rides between designated points where they have stops. I've used their stop in front of the Knott's Berry Farm employment center and really close to the Knott's Berry Farm Hotel, even though I wasn't visiting Knott's Berry Farm. Once I was staying at one of the seedy motels about two blocks away. It was the closest designated stop to where I needed to be; the next closest was near Medieval Times.

It's a little tricky at first, but the A-Way-WeGo app has a way to purchase passes and to request on-demand rides. Some of the routes are fixed (mostly hotel routes), but those are surrounding Disneyland. But if you have some random route between points that they service, you can make up your own bus ride. They'll try to combine as many people into the same trip as possible, but that's not a given. I remember trying to get from my hotel on Harbor to the Honda Center to walk an NHL game, and there were a bunch of people going the same game. I believe it's $4 (no child discount although I think below a certain age children are free) one way and $6 for a day pass. They might go as far south as the Shops at Orange, west to Knott's Berry Farm, and east to the Anaheim train station and near Angels Stadium and the Honda Center. There might be other places I've missed, but I haven't researched all the places they go. An older map of what used to be their fixed routes might give an idea. However, many of the routes they show don't exist any more

Map-1-page-2-002-1.png

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/a-way-wego/id1589114302
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.rideart.awaywego&hl=en_US&gl=US

Their website is hot garbage though.

https://rideart.org

The places they serve are mostly tourist spots or near major hotels. In Buena Park the only stops I've figured they go to are at Knott's Berry Farm, Medieval Times on Beach, and the Fairfield Inn on Orangethorpe. But to give you an idea of how random it can be, the first two rides I took (with my kid) were from the train station in Anaheim (we came in on Amtrak) to Medieval Times and then from Knott's Berry Farm to the Anaheim Packing House. These were not common routes, but it was great how I could get between random points of my choosing.

I have felt kind of guilty being the only passenger several times. Other times it was just the kiddo and me. It is so bizarre being the only person on a trip from Harbor all the way to Medieval Times - maybe about 8 miles on a 40 passenger diesel bus (most of the fleet is electric now). I made that trip last New Year's Day only to find that Porto's wasn't open on New Year's Day. I mentioned to the driver that I felt bad being a solo passenger, but he said that's part of their service to make it convenient, and otherwise they'd have nothing to do during certain parts of the day. But it was a nice walk to Knott's where I had a bunch of time (checked out Build A Bear and other stuff in front) before my next on-demand bus ride was scheduled back to my hotel.

To get to Disneyland from Knotts you have a few options:

1. LA Metro bus 460 picks you up on the corner of La Palma and Beach Boulevard and will drop you off at Disneyland Harbor Boulevard Pedestrian Entrance.

2. ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) operates a bus line between Disneyland and Knotts

3. Knotts Berry Farm hotel. Prior to COVID, the hotel use to run its own shuttle to Disneyland. I would call to see if they still do that.

As for getting to LAX, Uber or Lyft is your best option. Some of the neighborhoods that the Metro Green Line travels through are pretty rough and since you have your luggage with you, it's probably best to avoid using it to get to LAX.

To get to Disneyland from Knotts you have a few options:

1. LA Metro bus 460 picks you up on the corner of La Palma and Beach Boulevard and will drop you off at Disneyland Harbor Boulevard Pedestrian Entrance.

2. ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) operates a bus line between Disneyland and Knotts

LA Metro service may not be that frequent though. Route 460 can operate every 40 minutes worst case. But service frequency isn't that bad if going to LA. I did use it a few times to get to certain parts of Buena Park that ART didn't cover, but I did check for real time bus updates which reduced the amount of time I waited for the bus.

ART discontinued several fixed lines. I think they realized that there weren't enough passengers actually going to Buena Park or the train station on a regular basis to devote to fixed lines, but they do cover those areas with their on-demand service. Just enter locations in the trip planner (it should know your current location) and the destination and it will suggest an on-demand route if there is no convenient fixed route. I've found sometimes I could get a ride in a few minutes but other times I had to wait 40 minutes. But it was nice because there were real time bus location updates and I had the name of the driver and the vehicle I should be looking for. If you've got something like going from Disneyland to a hotel on Harbor, it's going to suggest something liken the Harbor Line. If it's to Knott's Berry Farm from Disneyland it's going to figure out what bus driver is available. I've made trips like that I was almost always alone or with my kid all the way.

If you have the app you can see what lines are actually running with real time location of any buses operating on the line . Some of them are still listed but don't show any activity because they're not active. The Buena Park Line is no longer listed.

There's also a new service called EVE, but that seems to be strictly pay per ride for $15. But it goes to Orange County Airport in nice looking passenger vans.

https://rideart.org/eve-everyone-ventures-everywhere/

Thank you all for this! It's good to know public transport is available and seems to be reliable!
If we were just visiting a park or other attraction I think I would use that, but with bags it seems better to use Uber or Lyft as suggested. I will make sure I budget for it and figure out how to use the apps before I get there (I've never used either before!)

I suppose I’d give one caveat about ART, which is that they don’t really service any of the Disney onsite hotels that well, even though Disney heavily subsidizes them. Not sure why. All the public transportation options are either at the main transportation center or on Harbor. But I have seen plenty of people with wheeled luggage going through security and/or through Downtown Disney.

Thank you all for this! It's good to know public transport is available and seems to be reliable!
If we were just visiting a park or other attraction I think I would use that, but with bags it seems better to use Uber or Lyft as suggested. I will make sure I budget for it and figure out how to use the apps before I get there (I've never used either before!)
Wait until about 14 days before your trip to download the Uber and Lyft apps. They often offer a decent discount on your first trip, and a lot of the time it it time/date restricted (has to be used within a specific number of days of signing up). Or, if you know someone who uses the apps, ask them to send you an invite to join, there can be discounts then, too. Check both apps before you book your ride, the price can vary and sometimes by a lot!

Wait until about 14 days before your trip to download the Uber and Lyft apps. They often offer a decent discount on your first trip, and a lot of the time it it time/date restricted (has to be used within a specific number of days of signing up). Or, if you know someone who uses the apps, ask them to send you an invite to join, there can be discounts then, too. Check both apps before you book your ride, the price can vary and sometimes by a lot!
Thank you ☺️

I'm kind of a fan of public transportation. It's always an adventure in LA and OC. There's a way to take buses from Disneyland to LAX which is cheap, but again - it would be an adventure. I might try it, but then it would depend on your friend's tolerance for occasional aberrant behavior and a good deal of patience. I believe it's possible to get there exclusively on LA Metro starting at the route 460 stop on Harbor and then transfer to the Green Line in Norwalk and then to the LAX/Aviation station before taking the free airport shuttle that hits all terminals. I think the cost would be less than $5 including the TAP fare card which costs $2.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dis...7636c3969!2m2!1d-118.4083509!2d33.9439667!3e3

But for getting from Disneyland to the Knott's Berry Farm Hotel - that's easy. Anaheim Regional (formerly Resort) Transportation will do on-demand rides between designated points where they have stops. I've used their stop in front of the Knott's Berry Farm employment center and really close to the Knott's Berry Farm Hotel, even though I wasn't visiting Knott's Berry Farm. Once I was staying at one of the seedy motels about two blocks away. It was the closest designated stop to where I needed to be; the next closest was near Medieval Times.

It's a little tricky at first, but the A-Way-WeGo app has a way to purchase passes and to request on-demand rides. Some of the routes are fixed (mostly hotel routes), but those are surrounding Disneyland. But if you have some random route between points that they service, you can make up your own bus ride. They'll try to combine as many people into the same trip as possible, but that's not a given. I remember trying to get from my hotel on Harbor to the Honda Center to walk an NHL game, and there were a bunch of people going the same game. I believe it's $4 (no child discount although I think below a certain age children are free) one way and $6 for a day pass. They might go as far south as the Shops at Orange, west to Knott's Berry Farm, and east to the Anaheim train station and near Angels Stadium and the Honda Center. There might be other places I've missed, but I haven't researched all the places they go. An older map of what used to be their fixed routes might give an idea. However, many of the routes they show don't exist any more

Map-1-page-2-002-1.png

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/a-way-wego/id1589114302
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.rideart.awaywego&hl=en_US&gl=US

Their website is hot garbage though.

https://rideart.org

The places they serve are mostly tourist spots or near major hotels. In Buena Park the only stops I've figured they go to are at Knott's Berry Farm, Medieval Times on Beach, and the Fairfield Inn on Orangethorpe. But to give you an idea of how random it can be, the first two rides I took (with my kid) were from the train station in Anaheim (we came in on Amtrak) to Medieval Times and then from Knott's Berry Farm to the Anaheim Packing House. These were not common routes, but it was great how I could get between random points of my choosing.

I have felt kind of guilty being the only passenger several times. Other times it was just the kiddo and me. It is so bizarre being the only person on a trip from Harbor all the way to Medieval Times - maybe about 8 miles on a 40 passenger diesel bus (most of the fleet is electric now). I made that trip last New Year's Day only to find that Porto's wasn't open on New Year's Day. I mentioned to the driver that I felt bad being a solo passenger, but he said that's part of their service to make it convenient, and otherwise they'd have nothing to do during certain parts of the day. But it was a nice walk to Knott's where I had a bunch of time (checked out Build A Bear and other stuff in front) before my next on-demand bus ride was scheduled back to my hotel.
This is of great help to me as I’m planning to travel from Harbour to Knotts in August.

We would usually Uber but I have three children under 5 😅 and I don’t want to drag the car seats to Knotts obviously.

My question about the “on demand” service - is it always a big bus? I just want to ensure it would be a coach or bus or something and wouldn’t be a van that we would need car seats for.

This is of great help to me as I’m planning to travel from Harbour to Knotts in August.

We would usually Uber but I have three children under 5 😅 and I don’t want to drag the car seats to Knotts obviously.

My question about the “on demand” service - is it always a big bus? I just want to ensure it would be a coach or bus or something and wouldn’t be a van that we would need car seats for.

Sorry - I was away for a while, but I'm here now.

They don’t have anything that requires seat belts or child seats. They might still have some of those smaller van-based buses, but they don’t require child seats. Here’s a picture of one, followed by a larger bus:

OCR-L-ANAHEIMBUS-0402-JG-01.jpg

I’ve been a solo passenger on one of their large buses. Didn’t seem right, but the drivers said they do it all the time and the on-demand system is for the convenience of their riders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter