Travel Insurance HELP!

My grandmother will not be cruising with us. It is just my parents, my brother's family and mine. We have charged most of the trip on a single credit card (other than the deposits for the cruise), so I will definitely be calling the credit card company. We are mostly worried about her health deteriorating and the major possibility of her passing before the cruise or while we are on the cruise.

We do not have a diagnosis yet because we are waiting for the health insurance to approve the biopsy and scheduling it. I do not believe her physician will have any problem filling out any forms and we not mind having to pay him extra to do it.

Thank you.

Pretty sure that, even without the official diagnosis, with the need to schedule a biopsy, you may already be at the "pre-existing" condition point.

Yes, I try to figure out my MasterCard insurance. It was confusing but didn’t address things important to me, like medical evacuation....that’s probably the scariest and most expensive part. It did say the trip had to be paid with this cad and if it’s not 100% they would only apply the percentage of the insurance coverage. So if only 75% of the trip was paid by that card, then they would only pay 75% of the allowed amount. I try to remember to pay with this card now.

A credit card isn't going to cover medical or medical evac, but just that part of it is fairly cheap at insure my trip. Depending on age. Being in my mid 30's two weeks is less then a big Mac meal usually.

I have the Chase Sapphire and it includes trip interruption, trip cancellation and primary rental car insurance. For $95 a year for the credit card and cheap health insurance/evac insurance, it does not really cost much for us to insure our vacations.

Admittedly, I've never made a claim, but I'd assume most 3rd party insurance is also a pain to claim.

I have never used a TA before or ever purchased travel insurance...

The EBTA will be my brother's 10th cruise and it will be mine 7th cruise.

Just because you've never had it doesn't mean it's not a good idea and can be affordable with credit card coverage and a cheap health/med evac plan .

I've never used it either or my life insurance for that matter, but I'm still prepared for the worst. Last summer a couple nights before our AK cruise my grandma passed away. My dad and mom and brothers family were all going. Had they not had my gmas funeral upon return we would have had to cancel. We were prepared to cancel but my uncle had a work trip to China the same time he couldn't get out of apparently.

All that to say, sucky things happen and a little preparation goes a long way .

A credit card isn't going to cover medical or medical evac, but just that part of it is fairly cheap at insure my trip. Depending on age. Being in my mid 30's two weeks is less then a big Mac meal usually.

I have the Chase Sapphire and it includes trip interruption, trip cancellation and primary rental car insurance. For $95 a year for the credit card and cheap health insurance/evac insurance, it does not really cost much for us to insure our vacations.

Admittedly, I've never made a claim, but I'd assume most 3rd party insurance is also a pain to claim.

Yes, I figured that. I just buy insurance just to cover medical evac, everything else is extra. We are double your age, which also means double insurance cost too.

Definitely check with Chase. It can be all or partly paid with the Chase Reserve card. Here’s a link with more information:

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel

and a link to the actual guide:

https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/...eb08a7f09d48a1dc464524fff70b488ea50ccccd6e748

Trip cancellation/interruption information starts on page 47.

Do you know if the whole trip needs to be purchased with the same credit card because the deposits were not paid with a Chase reserve card, but the main bulk of the payment was with a Chase reserve card. I will definitely be calling the credit card company, but it has just been a mad house right now with family and I am utterly exhausted.

She did not have a diagnosed illness at the time of booking and technically does not have a confirmed diagnosis as of now since there has been no confirmation with the doctors.

Thank you

One thing to note for CC travel insurance coverage is WHO is covered. Usually it is the cardholder and possibly certain immediate family members [spouse, minor children]. Extended family members are not usually covered.

So, for example, I travel with my sister. If the costs are put on my card only *I* am covered by the insurance, not her, since she is my sister not my spouse or child. The only way for her to be covered as well is for her to be an additional cardholder on my card or have a card on her own.

SW

Yes you get $300 in travel credits every year that everyone can use. Plus they pay for your TSA Precheck Fees.

I have never used a TA before or ever purchased travel insurance...
I don't usually use travel agents, either, but I always get trip insurance for expensive, non-refundable vacations (like cruises). I don't purchase the insurance from DCL, because I can get it cheaper elsewhere, and I want it to cover my flights and other expenses as well (which I book separately).

The EBTA will be my brother's 10th cruise and it will be mine 7th cruise.
OK, so you've gotten lucky so far.

Besides covering a trip cancellation because of illness or death of a family member, travel insurance also usually covers a lot of other things, like medical expenses in foreign countries, or medical evacuations.

Ok, maybe I'm just understanding this wrong, but if the grandmother is not cruising, travel insurance should be no problem getting a hold of. It's only going to cover whoever is traveling and the costs associated with them. It shouldn't matter if your grandmother passes (it would greatly matter to you of course, and us as we wish only the best for your family!) or if you get sick, or a hurricane hits or a crane falls on your ship. They will pay up as long as you have signed up according to their policy window. Now my travel insurance that I got a few weeks ago for an Alaskan cruise in June did not ask me for my health status, or anyone traveling with me. Just the costs, dates and info like that. I use the vendor USAA use, I cannot remember the company right at this time, but I could look it up if you like. My point is that I believe you should still be able to book travel insurance, as long as the timeframe for the trip isn't outside of their policy, and then for whatever reason if you would have to cancel, they should reimburse.

I don't usually use travel agents, either, but I always get trip insurance for expensive, non-refundable vacations (like cruises). I don't purchase the insurance from DCL, because I can get it cheaper elsewhere, and I want it to cover my flights and other expenses as well (which I book separately).

You can get the insurance for free if you charge the trip on the Chase Sapphire Reserve Credit Card.

Now my travel insurance that I got a few weeks ago for an Alaskan cruise in June did not ask me for my health status, or anyone traveling with me.

They don't usually directly ask upfront. Check the fine print, it may actually indicate that by purchasing the prolicy you confirm everyone covered is well enough to travel. Once there is a claim submitted, they'll want to confirm details including whether someone was healthy at the time the policy was purchased. And it can depend on the claim -- a claim for an injury that occurs while on vacation won't trigger a lookback period, but a claim for a heart attack likely will. A claim for cancellation because of a freak June snowstorm won't trigger a lookback, but a claim for cancelling because of illness likely would.

But you are correct that the insurance coverage is only covering those individuals cruising, and not the grandmother who was never included in the planned trip. However, again if a claim is submitted for a cancellation (or trip interruption) due to that person passing... that's a gray area as to whether the policy would pay out since it has been specifically purchased after knowing the person is not well. Individual policies vary as to what is covered for cancellation or interruption. OP has been advised to discuss policy coverage specifics with the vendor before purchasing, to be assured she is buying a policy that will work for their situation.

Ok, maybe I'm just understanding this wrong, but if the grandmother is not cruising, travel insurance should be no problem getting a hold of. It's only going to cover whoever is traveling and the costs associated with them. It shouldn't matter if your grandmother passes (it would greatly matter to you of course, and us as we wish only the best for your family!) or if you get sick, or a hurricane hits or a crane falls on your ship. They will pay up as long as you have signed up according to their policy window. Now my travel insurance that I got a few weeks ago for an Alaskan cruise in June did not ask me for my health status, or anyone traveling with me. Just the costs, dates and info like that. I use the vendor USAA use, I cannot remember the company right at this time, but I could look it up if you like. My point is that I believe you should still be able to book travel insurance, as long as the timeframe for the trip isn't outside of their policy, and then for whatever reason if you would have to cancel, they should reimburse.
My understanding is if you don't purchase insurance within a certain amount of days after booking and an immediate family member passes away making you unable to make the trip....if their condition was pre-existing when you purchased the insurance then they will not cover if you cancel the trip because of the death. For example, my dad is in his 70's and has had diabetes for 40+ years. Since his condition has not changed and has remained stable for decades and I purchased my travel insurance just a couple of days after my trip then I should be covered if the worst was to happen. My trip isn't until next year and say for example I did not get insurance but then he started to have issues and 6 months before the trip I began to get nervous and decided to get insurance. If the worst happened in this case they would (most likely) not cover us cancelling the trip because we waited until so long to get the insurance and his condition worsened. Basically they are trying to avoid the oh my gosh we might not be able to make the trip what can I do to make sure I get my money back? Oh, I'll add travel insurance. While the insurance would work for certain things, the likelihood of them covering a trip cancellation for a death in the family of someone whose condition was pretty much the reason you got the insurance is very small. This is how I understand it to be (or the best I can describe how I understand it) anyway.

Edited to add: My dad is not traveling with us, you just never know what can happen in 15 months...unfortunately!

As a USAA member, I use the same travel insurance company. While they don't ask any health questions, the fine print does say that you certify that everyone who is traveling is well enough to travel at the time you purchase the policy. It is also my understanding that they will waive the usual exclusion for pre-existing conditions if you purchase the policy within 30 days of putting a deposit down, and as long as you insure all of your pre-paid costs.

If I understand the OP's situation correctly, they are well past this point. The only reason they are considering a policy at this point is their "grandmother has recently become ill and we are unsure she will make it through the next few months." This is pretty much a textbook case of "pre-existing condition," meaning it is a condition that pre-exists the purchase of the travel insurance. If the OP did not purchase the policy within 30 days of when they put a deposit down (usually done when you first book the cruise), then this will not be waived, and if they have to cancel the trip and put in a claim due to an issue with their grandmother, the insurance company is not likely to honor the claim.

Anyway, this is all just my understanding of how it works. I do not profess to be an insurance expert.

As for the OP, good luck! I wish you and your grandmother all the best. :earsboy:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter