• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel Tips from TSA

My question is about the picture id. I will be traveling with five teenagers, non related to me, and I'm wondering what type of picture id they will need. I think that two of them probably have driver's lience's but three of them are only freshmen.

The airlines can probably best answer this but my understanding is anyone under the age of 18 traveling with an adult is not required to have an ID. If it were me, I'd take any ID's the olders ones have and check on the freshmen. You can always go to most Driver's License Branches and get a picture ID or perhaps are school ID's available. Check with the airlines.

Brian

Originally posted by bmartin1206
Soon we'll face personel shortages as the flying season begins. My understanding is that Congress will not let go of any money ontinue hiring and training. They seem to feel we are appopriatley staffed. They should come and work for a week then make a decision. I assure you it'd be a more accurate view of what itakes and what is needed. Having said that, we are not sacrificing safety for speed.

It sometimes seems like the government is in one of those situations of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing! And, in this case, I think they do need to be careful about making sure everything is in place and that the airports are properly staffed. We already know that there's a lot of people who stopped flying out of fear and now there's people who have stopped flying due to airport delays/extra time now required to be at the airport. :( (Personally, I'm an oddball in that I flew *more* between '02 - this year than any past 12-month timeframe! <g>)

We flew more often too. As screeners we often get the brunt of frustrations taken out on us. I am glad to be in baggage screening most of the time. I have not worked with passenger screening much since they split our force between baggage and passenger screening. I understand though that there is a slightly more delay it is still moving along nicely. My family and I usually travel in the off season so we never really have put up with large crowds.

I guess I need clarification on what I should be doing now. I used to use the wire ties/zip ties to secure my luggage and I also used a luggage strap wrapped around the entire bag. Now I'm understanding that I shouldn't lock (use the wire ties) my suitcase before I get to the airport. But I have been told I can ask the inspector's to put the wire tie on after I check in. Is this correct? I am not comfortable leaving my suitcase unlocked for any unscrupulous baggage handler to go through. Also, if I'm reading this right, I can use the luggage strap, but I can't lock it??
One more question (I think). Do I really have to pack all my toiletries and cosmetic's in clear makeup bags?
Thank you so much for answering these questions. I don't want to make any unnecessary mistakes when flying next month.

We haven't started using the wire ties at our airport but my understanding is that they will be offered at check in at all airports sooner or later. If it were me I'd still put ties on them. Should they need to be inspected the screener should replace the ties with the wire ties or some other means of securing them. It would not be a bad idea to carry extras since not all airports may be offering the ties yet (for the return).
You may use the luggage strap but once again, if it is locked and the bag needs to be inspected it will be cut or damaged.
It is not necessary to pack al cosmetics in clear plastic to my knowledge. That merely makes it easier to see into the bag. Having said that, if there is something in the bag that sets off the alarm we will be doing more than a visual test to it so the clear plastic would be irrelavent.
I also want to caution against packing film. It will be damaged in this process. Carry it on. If it's over 800 speed ask them to hand check it at the passenger screening check point. If you do not have carry on buy a protective bag.
For current info check http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/index.jsp .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter