travel trailer advice needed

Gone Disney

Thumper
We just bought a 38' coachman TT 38tbs model. I was hoping I could get a little insight on pulling it. I have a dodge 3500 I know my truck will pull it fine but I was wondering about the hitch. You can see the hitch setup here I know the trailer has a...........

base weight 7,468
GVWR 11,160
carrying capacity 3,692
hitch weight 1,160
axle weight 6,308

Should I consider buying a different hitch or should the one installed be ok? I definately want to make sure that we are safe on the road.

Any thoughts on what I should do would be appreciated

Thanks

Patti aka
Gone Disney

you might want to consider the Reese Dual cam, you will have weight distribution and sway control, I would strongly suggest some type of sway control on a trailer of that length, although your tow vehicle is more than adequate sway control is always good to have.

Hitch guide

Thanks Disney Camper,

Can I buy the sway bar and use it with my current hitch or do I need to buy a hitch that goes with the sway bar? If I'm going to do this I'd like to do it right the first time. :D

Thanks for your help
Patti

Sway bars are an entirely separate entity, sometimes even made by a different manufacturer than the hitch. Your dealer (or you if you are handy) can install it quickly. For a friction type sway control like mine, which is also the most economical and so simple you wonder why these things weren't invented a hundred years ago, there are just two balls (like your hitch balls only much smaller) - one on the hitch and one on the tongue of your trailer. The sway control fits over these balls, is held on with a couple of pins, and the controller is tightened with a lever. You will not regret having one everytime you are passed by a big rig and that trailer does just one little shift (barely noticeable) and then follows true.

Some sway controls are an integral part of weight distribution hitch, but your dealer should be able to hook you up right!

:D

OOPS! One more thing. Be sure you remove your sway bar before backing into your site or driveway. Not only will the sway bar interfere with some tight maneuvers, but it can also be damaged.

And I'm glad to see you want to do it right, Patti. Too many campers want to cut corners, usually at the expense of safety. With my rig, I probably went overboard with my hitch system for what I have to tow, but the confidence I feel while I am driving down the road makes it all worthwhile.

Happy Camping!

Just checked your pictures and think you will have to beef up your hitch a bit, considering the GVWR of your camper. Also did not see any way of hooking weight distribution on it.

Thanks for the info ftwildernessguy and Disney Campers

I've been doing some reading up and looking around for hitches and acc. This is what I have come up with so far. I'm thinking of going with this type of setup, let me know what you think of it. Good, bad or anything in between.

Reese Titan series hitch
weight /
carrying - G. towing wt. 12,000 G. Tongue wt. 1,200
distributing - G. towing wt. 14,000 G. Tongue wt. 1,400

Reese Dual Cam Sway Control

Reese High performance weight distribution system 12,000 / 1,200

The setup should probably run me just under 700.00 parts only. Not sure if I'll need anything else, except a new ball probably just not sure what size yet.

Back to looking, let me know your thoughts on this

Patti

BTW Ftwildernessguy, Safety is always a first with me. I can replace money but I can't replace a life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter