Traveling to London solo, first time international traveler

great advice, but you need to make sure the contactless bank card does not have foreign transaction fees. One of my Irish friends used her contactless Irish bank card on the transport system in London and every time she taped in on the buses and tubes, each journey was charged a foreign transaction fee. UK people don't realize this as their bank cards are the same currency.
Agree! Since that advice had already been mentioned earlier to the OP I skipped it, but I should have reiterated that aspect.

Don’t wait to apply for Global Entry too close to your trip as you have to do an in-person interview and you will need to make a reservation for it. Mine took 2 weeks to get a reservation at the airport near me.

Thank you all for such fantastic information! My head is spinning and I need to process.

My everyday wear is a cross between casual, edgy, and fancy. I mostly wear Lularoe tops, dresses and leggings, skinny, boyfriend, and wideleg pants and jeans, tops, tees, and dresses from The Gap. I'm planning for beginning of August and am mentally prepared for rain. I'll do some practice packing to see what luggage to take. I'm mostly worried about packing all my toiletries. I'm medium maintenance with hair and makeup. I have this old bag from QVC called The Freedom Bag and I usually pack everything (except meds and essentials) in there and put in my checked luggage.

I've looked into TSA Pre-check and Global Entey but have not applied. Will have to look at it more closely again.

I'm not used to just using my CC card or hitting up the atm while on holiday. I'm used to taking my card, cash and/or traveler's checks. I'll have to wrap my head around it but I'll have a friend with me who can help me navigate it when there.

Keep all the good info coming and any experiences!

You clothes sound fine for London, just think what you would wear at home for similar situations and pack those clothes. Layers are important in London, You could have a cool breeze when you walk out of your hotel, but then when you tap in at the tube station, its really hot , so you will need to take off the hoody while travelling and then put it back on when you get to your destination.

For your toiletries, go to Target or Walmart and see if they have empty travel containers. Don't bring the large every day size shampoo etc, just decant what you need into travel containers. Unless you use some very local not sold any where else brand of anything, you will be able to buy anything you need in London. Boots is a UK chain of drugstore and they are on almost every street , with several large units around Oxford Street. They sell everything from shampoo and hair products , shower products, dental items, feminine hygiene items, over the counter medicine, makeup and so much more.

Europe in general before Covid was far less reliant on cash than USA and now contactless card payments have hugely increased. Don't even think about travelers cheques, you will have a hard time exchanging them. Cash will be accepted, but really the preferred method of payment almost everywhere now is contactless card.

Don’t wait to apply for Global Entry too close to your trip as you have to do an in-person interview and you will need to make a reservation for it. Mine took 2 weeks to get a reservation at the airport near me.
Thanks! Good to know!

Should I try for one wheeled carryon and personal bag or one checked bag and personal bag but not all 3?
On another thread I posted specifically about hotels, I got recs for budget hotel chains Premier inn and Travelodge. Both have really great rates in my price range but not sure if rates will go up once regular travel resumes.
Just my opinion but definitely not all three. Be aware that international carry-on sizes are sometimes smaller than US. You might want one checked bag and one carry-on day bag. If you've found hotels in your price range, that's great. Probably safer since you are solo.

One other tip ...know that electric voltage is different...if you use a hair dryer, etc., you will need a converter. Some cell phones and laptops are dual voltage, be sure to check.

You clothes sound fine for London, just think what you would wear at home for similar situations and pack those clothes. Layers are important in London, You could have a cool breeze when you walk out of your hotel, but then when you tap in at the tube station, its really hot , so you will need to take off the hoody while travelling and then put it back on when you get to your destination.

For your toiletries, go to Target or Walmart and see if they have empty travel containers. Don't bring the large every day size shampoo etc, just decant what you need into travel containers. Unless you use some very local not sold any where else brand of anything, you will be able to buy anything you need in London. Boots is a UK chain of drugstore and they are on almost every street , with several large units around Oxford Street. They sell everything from shampoo and hair products , shower products, dental items, feminine hygiene items, over the counter medicine, makeup and so much more.

Europe in general before Covid was far less reliant on cash than USA and now contactless card payments have hugely increased. Don't even think about travelers cheques, you will have a hard time exchanging them. Cash will be accepted, but really the preferred method of payment almost everywhere now is contactless card.

I do have loads of travel size empty bottles to fill and travel sizes of brand items I use. I think I'll be ok trying to minimize my packing. My last trip was to Hawaii in 2016 so I'm rusty on preparing for travel.

I wasn't planning on getting traveler's checks but that shows my age. I used traveler's checks on many trips to WDW. 😂

Just general advice about travelling international. It's not as scary as it sounds or some people make it sound. For the travel itself, especially if you will stay in one city, if you can navigate in a big city in your own country, you can do it anywhere else. Use your brain, and don't do things you wouldn't do at home.

Always look into the culture. It's easy to think 'oh it's all Western world, and we speak the same language', but culturally there are differences. Look up some articles or youtube videos like this:
https://dayoutinengland.com/things-americans-are-shocked-by-visit-england/Read into things like hotel room size, firmness of mattresses, portion sizes in restaurants, air conditioning. These things can be very different from what people are used to in the US.

Most important of all: Be open minded :)

Oh and go into a grocery store, just to look around. I always find it amazing how different grocery stores can be around the world.

Just general advice about travelling international. It's not as scary as it sounds or some people make it sound. For the travel itself, especially if you will stay in one city, if you can navigate in a big city in your own country, you can do it anywhere else. Use your brain, and don't do things you wouldn't do at home.

Always look into the culture. It's easy to think 'oh it's all Western world, and we speak the same language', but culturally there are differences. Look up some articles or youtube videos like this:
https://dayoutinengland.com/things-americans-are-shocked-by-visit-england/Read into things like hotel room size, firmness of mattresses, portion sizes in restaurants, air conditioning. These things can be very different from what people are used to in the US.

Most important of all: Be open minded :)

Oh and go into a grocery store, just to look around. I always find it amazing how different grocery stores can be around the world.

Thanks for the encouragement about travel. I used to live on the east coast and go into NYC often enough and go into Chicago now that I'm in the Midwest so I am fairly comfortable getting around and being aware in the big city. I either text and/or video chat with my friends in the U.K. on a daily basis so I have a pretty good idea about some of the cultural things over there. Someone up thread mentioned about the chocolate and my friends have sent me some. Peanut Butter Kit Kat and Cadbury Caramel are delicious! Yum! I do like the comfort and amenities of American hotel rooms so I have been looking for something comparable in my price range. I'll miss having a fridge in the room like at WDW though. 😁

Depending on what you want to do, make sure that you check out Historic Royal Palaces if you want to visit the Tower of London, Kensington Palace, Hampton Court, the Banqueting Hall in Westminster, etc. It may be cheaper for you to buy a year's entry than to buy individual tickets. Make sure that you reserve your tickets in advance for the hot places. With the Historic Royal Palace card, you go to the line to get in without having to go to the ticket counter, without an advanced reservation.

When you have your tickets in advance, you also bypass the line. We were able to get reservations the day before going to Westminster Abbey and we saved at least an hour's wait in the ticket purchase line. You can also reserve tickets for the Churchill War Rooms and many other places that have lines. You can't make reservations on the day of, but the day before works.

If you want to see the inside of Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's, but you don't have the money for the ticket, you can go to a service in either one. You won't see everything, but you'll get to see some of it. We did Sunday Service at WA and then went back for the tour a few days later. But, we wanted to experience an Anglican Service first hand, so that's why we did that.

My DD and I were in London in May 2019. We both took a carryon and a Vera Bradley Weekender with a D-pocket, so it fastened over the carryon handle. With this, it was enough room for 10-days and room for our souvenirs. We packed a lot of dresses since they pack small and why not look nice when you're traveling?

Whatever combination of bags you bring, realize that you WILL end up carrying them up flights of stairs, whether in the Tube or in your lodging. B&B's are cheaper than hotels (they are not precious the way they are in the US; it's usually just some empty-nester's home, but invariably that bedroom will be at the top of the house.)

My usual way of carrying luggage when I'm on my own is a 22" rollaboard, plus a medium-large crossbody tote, into which I've put a string wallet. I don't do backpacks on city trips; much too easy for someone to open a bag that is on your back. I keep a self-storing rain jacket and a change of underclothing in the tote, along with valuables and meds. Stick to a pair of plain black walking shoes with good arch support. Bring a good backup battery (one with a flatter design will feel lighter to carry) that can charge whatever electronics you will have; it will save you having to mess about too often with converters. (Remember that it is not just the plug that is different, it is also the voltage; DC current can easily fry US electronics if you do not have a good-quality step-down converter.)

Like every other city, London is well-served with online maps, but I still like to carry a pocket A-Z; not least because phone batteries often die when you least want them to. An A-Z is useful and a nice souvenir, too.

If you do stay in a B&B, be aware that showers are often restricted to particular times of day, because homes in the UK often have timer-driven water heaters; if you want to shower at an "off" time of day you have to turn the water heater on first and give it enough time to warm sufficient water. Hotels have hot water at all times.

Many US phone plans still have roaming charges in Europe, especially for data. Check into this, as it may be quite expensive. You can avoid it by buying a UK pay-as-you-go SIM and temporarily swapping it in for use while there.

PS: One other thing. Not everyone agrees with me as to whether or not this is worth the splurge, but I recommend taking the airport express train into Central London. I don't sleep well on planes and I just did not feel like dealing with the hassle & crowding of the regular tube line with the commuters, so I consider it money well-spent.

Last edited:
As for calling someone back in the US, download WhatsApp on your phone and the person/people that you want to call will need it, too. You can text/call over wifi with no international calling fees associated with it.

I've done Italy and England so far with only my phone on wifi so I'd have no extra charges for data/voice. I download the map of the area I will be in before I go, so I don't need data for that, either.

It's frustrating at times, because it puts you back to the 80s without an always connected cell phone, but I also like being off the grid while I'm on vacation.

My bad, yes, British pounds, not euros. Sorry to my English friends!

Global Entry is TSA pre-check plus streamlined international travel. Think of it as one level higher. You get an ID card no one will ever look at, but it has a number you enter when making airline reservations under "known traveler number" that will qualify you for pre-check when flying domestically. Also, when you come back into the US, instead of standing in line at the border control booths, it's currently a kiosk with facial recognition. It's super fast. You get a printed receipt that you show to a dedicated border control booth, while walking right past all those people still standing in line. TSA pre-check alone costs $85, Global Entry is $100, and is good for 5 years.

I like Moovit app for city travel planning. My teens have me using ******* for wifi enabled phone/text/video calls.

London is a.mazing! I'm sure you will love it!

We once stayed at the CitizenM hotel in yhe south bank, it was a great location, small but perfect room and good vibe. Across the st are a couple of cheap eating options and Borough Market is a 5mins walk. So is the Tate Modern with its pedestrian bridge to The City area.

Make sure you learn about the Oyster card, London public transport is excellent.

And I highly recommend the Original London Walks both for local and day trips. Been using them since they were founded in the early 90s and they still rock.

Feel free to pm me if you hace any questions

I'm so excited to go, you are all getting me even more pumped up! I've wanted to visit for over 30 years. It will be even better cos I'll be meeting good friends I've made over there.

I was just looking up and comparing TSA precheck and Global Entry. Do I need both?

No, they are redundant. TSA precheck is just for TSA in the US going into security. Global Entry is for coming back in the US through customs but it gives you TSA precheck. I would recommend Global Entry since it is only $15 more and you get precheck + the global entry.

No, they are redundant. TSA precheck is just for TSA in the US going into security. Global Entry is for coming back in the US through customs but it gives you TSA precheck. I would recommend Global Entry since it is only $15 more and you get precheck + the global entry.
Agree, and take the earlier advice not to wait to apply. DD and DW got approved in two days; mine took 10 MONTHS, and others on the Transportation board reported similar delays...supposedly due to Covid.

Agree, and take the earlier advice not to wait to apply. DD and DW got approved in two days; mine took 10 MONTHS, and others on the Transportation board reported similar delays...supposedly due to Covid.

I got mine recently (about 2 months ago) and was approved within hours. There were appointments at my airport less than 10 days out. Definitely depends.

Congrats! My first international trip was a solo trip to London in 2005, and it was great. Everyone has been giving you great advice. I traveled with a wheeled carryon and a smaller, backpack sized bag, that fit over the handle of the wheeled bag. I also had a crossbody bag to use while touring. I was there for eight days so I packed four outfits that I could mix and match and a small bottle of Febreeze to help wear things more than once. Make sure your shoes are well broken in and still take your preferred blister remedy. You will walk as much or more than on a Disney trip, on much more uneven pavement. I did not feel unsafe walking around the city. Just take the same precautions you would take in any local large city and be aware of your surroundings.

I was nervous about relying on public transportation because we don’t have much here, but it all went fine. Getting through the airport went fine as well. It was easy to take day trips out of the city to see sights. That first trip I stayed between Victoria Station and Buckingham Palace, so a lot of the sights were within walking distance. My second trip I stayed across the river from the Tower of London and had to use transportation more frequently.

Have fun!

I took my first trip to London in 2019 and had a blast! I HIGHLY recommend doing the Changing of the Guard Walking Tour (https://funlondontours.com/tours/changing-guard-walking-tour/). It is recommended on the Buckingham Palace website and my tour guide was amazing (Jan). He got us to exactly where we needed to be to see everything we needed to and ahead of the masses. Just be prepared to walk and walk fast when he tells you to move. Definitely one of the best things I did in London.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter