Traveling with a big group of kids- where to eat?

megan17

Earning My Ears
I'm going on a field trip with a large group of middle school kids to Universal and need some advice on restaurants. What are some quick service restaurants that offer lots of food options in one location? I'm thinking something similar to sunshine seasons in Epcot. Are there any spots like that to accommodate a variety of picky eaters? :) Thanks for any input!

I'd do one or other of the Potter locations. Yes they are more expensive and not so many options for picky eaters - but they sure have the cool factor for a trip to Universal!

Otherwise. The Simpsons area has cool theming and all your typical burgers and nuggets. I wasn't a fan of the food myself but many others give it high marks).

I'm going on a field trip with a large group of middle school kids to Universal and need some advice on restaurants. What are some quick service restaurants that offer lots of food options in one location? I'm thinking something similar to sunshine seasons in Epcot. Are there any spots like that to accommodate a variety of picky eaters? :) Thanks for any input!

In USF - The Simpsons Fast Food Blvd probably has the most variety in one location and would be suitable for picky eaters...https://orlandoinformer.com/universal/simpsons-fast-food-blvd/

In IOA - There is not really one big food court area but Circus McGurkus and The Burger Digs both have decent "fast food" options.

At Citywalk - there is a food court (BK WHOPPER BAR, MOE’S SOUTHWEST GRILL, PANDA EXPRESS) as well as a number of quick service spots - Breadbox, Hot Dog Hall of Fame that are good.

I'd do one or other of the Potter locations. Yes they are more expensive and not so many options for picky eaters - but they sure have the cool factor for a trip to Universal!

Otherwise. The Simpsons area has cool theming and all your typical burgers and nuggets. I wasn't a fan of the food myself but many others give it high marks).

I would definitely not do the harry potter restaurants. I'm a full grown adult and would stomach some of the food just because I'd like to eat in a potter restaurant. No way you are feeding a group of kids with the menus there.

When I was a kid and went with other kids to Disney Land at Middle school age, they gave you some money for lunch , made sure you had a buddy and off you went around the park. I'm guessing thats now how it goes now a days?

Are all the kids staying together or are they breaking into groups and checking in with chaperones?

When we did field trips in middle schools a lot of us would grab snacks more than sit down for meals because we just wanted to be on rides and walking around.

Thanks for all the ideas!
We will be breaking into groups of about 10 kids with a chaperone always with them :) no more roaming around with just a buddy! We have a meal plan through our tour company- from my understanding we will get an entree, snack, and drink with each "meal."

I would definitely not do the harry potter restaurants. I'm a full grown adult and would stomach some of the food just because I'd like to eat in a potter restaurant. No way you are feeding a group of kids with the menus there.

Granted Leaky Cauldron has a more unique menu. But Three Broomsticks in IOA is quite basic - ribs and chicken (should qualify under the meal plan and is a great value), fish and chips, mac n cheese, even chicken fingers.

They also have fun drinks (which qualify under the meal plan) like pumpkin fizz and apple/pear cider. For a snack credit, u can get butterbeer here too :)

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/things-to-do/dining/three-broomsticks/menu.html

Granted Leaky Cauldron has a more unique menu. But Three Broomsticks in IOA is quite basic - ribs and chicken (should qualify under the meal plan and is a great value), fish and chips, mac n cheese, even chicken fingers.

They also have fun drinks (which qualify under the meal plan) like pumpkin fizz and apple/pear cider. For a snack credit, u can get butterbeer here too :)

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/things-to-do/dining/three-broomsticks/menu.html

I agree.

We don’t actually eat there ever, but always go in for a look around and take some pics or have a drink.

Both Potter restaurants had loads of groups of kids at times in there........they seemed to be enjoying it a lot.

And it is amazingly themed too.

I like Thunder Falls Terrace at IOA and I think they would enjoy either Louie's or Springfield at the Studios. Springfield is better themed than Louie's and the food is pretty good. I had the Krusty burger w/curly fries at HHN last weekend and it was pretty tasty...the curly fries were off the chain good!

At IOA, the only real food court is the Comic Strip Café. It used to have Italian food, Chinese food, American food, etc., but lately, I've only seen the Italian and American sections open. The food is kind of gross there too.

Yes I would think kids would dig this place! Butterbeer ice cream! Only bummer in the Wizard Worlds for me (and I totally loved it mind you..) no Coca-Cola products...they wanted to be 'true to the HP world' when they built it, which makes sense from an authenticity standpoint, so you have to grab your soft drink right outside the WW - so that's Jurassic world somewhere or just outside Kings Cross station or you will be drinking watered down iced tea or Gilly Water Lololol!

My sons favorite place to grab a snack was the Auntie Anne's booth at IOA... love those pretzel bites!!!

Have a blast!

Maybe basic for you, I would not eat that stuff and I know some of my sons friends wouldn't either. I would stick to basics. Pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders etc.

Totally think HP restaurants are worth a visit! Simpsons is the only other one that feels very unique. It's all about having neat experiences. Kids can get their "normal" food fix another time. They won't starve if they don't like one meal. They can snack all day, I'm sure.

Thanks for all the ideas!
We just got back from the trip on Tuesday and everything went really well :)
We had a "youth meal plan" card for each meal that included basically an entree combo with drink. We ended up eating at the Jurassic Park quick service restaurant the first night, mostly because it was indoors and we wanted to get out of the rain. Also ate at the Simpsons area and the Leaky Cauldron. The kids really liked the food at Leaky Cauldron, most of them got the cheesy mac or the bangers and mash. The cards also worked at a few places in City Walk and we were able to each at Breadbox Sandwiches and the Hard Rock Cafe. Hard Rock was a fantastic deal on the meal plan, there were lots of food options and tip was included too!
We also had breakfast at the Bayliner Diner at Cabana Bay each morning. We had a $10 voucher to use there through our group booking. There were tons of great options and the cashiers were very forgiving about kids going a bit over the $10 limit ;)
Overall a great trip for everyone!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter