Traveling With a First Timer!

Idreamodisney247

Mouseketeer
Please forgive me if this question has been asked before. I was originally scheduled to travel this past Easter week with DS 18 for our first DVC trip. We had a split stay BWV studio/BLT studio. Unfortunately had to cancel due to surgery. In the process of rescheduling we found out that my DS's friend wanted to come and he has not only never been to Disney but he's never been on a plane. Oh joy of joys!!! I get to show him the world. Yippee!!!

So in trying to make it the most magical ever. I decided to book BWV 1 bdrm for 3 nights Garden/pool (all that was avail) 117 pts and 4 nights BLT (theme park view) 206 pts. *unfortunately all that was available. I am on a wait list for a lake view.

My question for all of you veterans is, am I making the right decision here? In wanting to make the visit so magical I am using all of my 2012,2013 and 33 of my 2014 points if the lake view at BLT doesn't come through. The other option would be to get a two bedroom at SSR (home) or a 1 bdrm at OKW for 7 nights.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it.

My question for all of you veterans is, am I making the right decision here?

The right decision about what? About taking the boy? About getting a 1BR instead of a studio (which personally I wouldn't do with 3 adults)?

In wanting to make the visit so magical I am using all of my 2012,2013 and 33 of my 2014 points if the lake view at BLT doesn't come through. The other option would be to get a two bedroom at SSR (home) or a 1 bdrm at OKW for 7 nights.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't know that staying at BWV & BLT is part of making the trip magical for an 18 year old boy. Remember that first trip to WDW? The magic probably wasn't so much in the resort as it was in the parks, and WDW at large.

Since I dislike split stays, I'd go for the 2BR at SSR or 1BR at OKW....probably the 2BR at SSR as that would deliver the best sleeping arrangements with the living room freed up. That, to me, is more magical than the location or view of the other options.

Whether this trip is worth your allotment of points is something none of us can say...that's a value that only you can assess. I would caution that not everyone finds WDW to be a magical place, and an 18 year old's idea of magic might be different than what you think. I guess if the young man is pretty Disney obsessed it would be worth it. Otherwise, he might find WDW to be a neat place with some fun rides but maybe not what he would call "magical".

It's nice of you to offer to take him. Good luck!

Personally I would go with SSR and get the advantage of home points. Also - 18 yr old - DTD. There is much for them to do there at night - Disney Quest, Splittsville, girl watching :rolleyes1. It is an easy walk or boat ride, no bus hassles.
At Boardwalk, if you could get a full stay, I would say go for it but given your current options I would head home.
Have fun!

We really love the BW area. An 18 year old might enjoy all that is happening in the BW area plus close to Hollywood Studios & Epcot. or SSR as it is located close to Downtown Disney. Don't really think you need to use the extra points for BLT. I only would recommend monorail resorts if you travel with a small child or one in a stroller especially. They are also good if you want to spend lots of time at MK.

Granny said:
I don't know that staying at BWV & BLT is part of making the trip magical for an 18 year old boy. Remember that first trip to WDW? The magic probably wasn't so much in the resort as it was in the parks, and WDW at large.

**You are right about that! I guess I was thinking more about what I would like to experience for my first DVC trip.

Since I dislike split stays, I'd go for the 2BR at SSR or 1BR at OKW....probably the 2BR at SSR as that would deliver the best sleeping arrangements with the living room freed up. That, to me, is more magical than the location or view of the other options.

***I know once again that a 2 BR at SSR would be the most comfortable but I am finding it difficult to find the ideal section to be in. If you have stayed there before, could you recommend a room number or section that is convenient to all?

Whether this trip is worth your allotment of points is something none of us can say...that's a value that only you can assess. I would caution that not everyone finds WDW to be a magical place, and an 18 year old's idea of magic might be different than what you think. I guess if the young man is pretty Disney obsessed it would be worth it. Otherwise, he might find WDW to be a neat place with some fun rides but maybe not what he would call "magical".

****Point well taken. Knowing this young man I can confidently say that this just may be one of the greatest experiences he will remember forever.

Thank you for your helpful advice.

3 Hobbits 2 Disney said:
Personally I would go with SSR and get the advantage of home points. Also - 18 yr old - DTD. There is much for them to do there at night - Disney Quest, Splittsville, girl watching :rolleyes1. It is an easy walk or boat ride, no bus hassles.
At Boardwalk, if you could get a full stay, I would say go for it but given your current options I would head home.
Have fun!

Thank you. I'm thinking about it seriously. If you have experience staying there can you recommend a room or location that is close to all the ammenities?

NoleFan said:
We really love the BW area. An 18 year old might enjoy all that is happening in the BW area plus close to Hollywood Studios & Epcot. or SSR as it is located close to Downtown Disney. Don't really think you need to use the extra points for BLT. I only would recommend monorail resorts if you travel with a small child or one in a stroller especially. They are also good if you want to spend lots of time at MK.

Would you recommend possibly doing a split stay between 1 BR BWV and 2 BR SSR to get the best that both areas have to offer?

For SSR, we like Congress Park, view of DTD if you van get it; Grandstand, first bus stop, pool/snack bar, easy walk to Artist's Palette; and the Springs, centrally located but bus stops can be challenging. SSR also has great running/ walking paths, bicycles/surveys you can rent, and some of the nicest CMs. I would choose a full stay at SSR rather than a split stay because I like to settle once.

For room locations I know there are online maps, but I don't have a link handy. A quick search should find it.

Hope this helps!

:wave2:

3 Hobbits 2 Disney said:
For SSR, we like Congress Park, view of DTD if you van get it; Grandstand, first bus stop, pool/snack bar, easy walk to Artist's Palette; and the Springs, centrally located but bus stops can be challenging. SSR also has great running/ walking paths, bicycles/surveys you can rent, and some of the nicest CMs. I would choose a full stay at SSR rather than a split stay because I like to settle once.

For room locations I know there are online maps, but I don't have a link handy. A quick search should find it.

Hope this helps!

:wave2:

Thank you so much! This helps tremendously. Is there a room number of a 2 BR you can possibly recommend?

I think your son's friend will enjoy the whole experience without using extra points. My DS20 and DS15 have taken friends over the past few years. All 4 of the guys they have taken have been first-timers and 3 flew with us for the first time.

SSR was a perfect resort for the guys. We stayed in Grandstand near the pool which was a great area: short walk to The Carriage House and to the boats. Transportation was easy for them to use and they took the boat to DTD every evening that they were not at a park. They figured out when to use the Grandstand bus stop or the one by The Carriage House, depending on coming or going. Both stops were within a 5 min. walk.

Although my husband and I loved the 2-br at VWL, the location for the guys was not as good as SSR.

The boys loved BCV because of the pool and the proximity to Epcot. They enjoyed strolling over to Epcot to watch Illuminations in the evening or to take advantage of the evening EMH.

We've also stayed with the boys at the Wilderness cabins and they liked being able to attend the sing-along and campfire.

My opinion, based on the times we have taken newbies, is that your son's friend will have a fantastic trip based on the total trip experience. The friend we took in Aug 2012, is getting ready to graduate from college next month. While on our trip, he told me about the young lady he was dating and said he hoped to propose to her the summer of '13. He asked me about the best resort at WDW for a honeymoon. So sweet :lovestruc

Thank you so much! This helps tremendously. Is there a room number of a 2 BR you can possibly recommend?

I wish I could remember the room numbers from the two times we stayed in Grandstand. I loved the location. The map shows room numbers 8500-8800 for the area we stayed in. It was right across from the entrance to the pool and the pathway to The Carriage House was right there.

I would agree with Congress Park and being able to walk to downtown disney. I don't remember our specific room number though.

For a trip with two boys who are old enough to head out on their own, but who aren't necessarily familiar with WDW, I'd definitely go with SSR. First, I completely agree with others that the view from the room is going to absolutely lost on teenagers. Save some points.

Second, transportation from SSR is much more simple to explain. Going to a park? Get on the bus. Boats and monorails are cool, but add complexity to getting around at the MK and Epcot resorts.

SSR has two theme pools that teens will enjoy.

I probably would not do a split stay - We do not mind them when we are staying for 10 nights but for 7 it can be an inconvenience. I have 3 DD's 22, 20 and 18 all would prefer BLT or BWV since points are more for BLT I would not consider it. My girls do like the proximity of DDT while at SSR but much prefer being able to walk, boat or monorail back and forth to the parks. Can you get a 2 bedroom at BWV for the entire stay or waitlist a standard 2 bedroom? I think even though it is a long shot I would book 2 bedroom SSR and WL STD 2 bdrm BWV. Good luck sounds like fun!

Junebugwv said:
I wish I could remember the room numbers from the two times we stayed in Grandstand. I loved the location. The map shows room numbers 8500-8800 for the area we stayed in. It was right across from the entrance to the pool and the pathway to The Carriage House was right there.

Thank you for this information. It helps take the mystery out of which location in the Grandstand is most convenient. Just out of curiosity, what was the view from your balcony.

dbs1228 said:
I probably would not do a split stay - We do not mind them when we are staying for 10 nights but for 7 it can be an inconvenience. I have 3 DD's 22, 20 and 18 all would prefer BLT or BWV since points are more for BLT I would not consider it. My girls do like the proximity of DDT while at SSR but much prefer being able to walk, boat or monorail back and forth to the parks. Can you get a 2 bedroom at BWV for the entire stay or waitlist a standard 2 bedroom? I think even though it is a long shot I would book 2 bedroom SSR and WL STD 2 bdrm BWV. Good luck sounds like fun!

Thank you. I am definitely leaning toward this option. Although I too doubt a standard view will open up, so I will happily plan for an entire stay at SSR.

BirdsOfPreyDave said:
For a trip with two boys who are old enough to head out on their own, but who aren't necessarily familiar with WDW, I'd definitely go with SSR. First, I completely agree with others that the view from the room is going to absolutely lost on teenagers. Save some points.

Second, transportation from SSR is much more simple to explain. Going to a park? Get on the bus. Boats and monorails are cool, but add complexity to getting around at the MK and Epcot resorts.

SSR has two theme pools that teens will enjoy.

Thank you. To be honest the view is for me. But a view of either downtown disney or the water and or bridge at SSR would be amazing.

Junebugwv said:
I think your son's friend will enjoy the whole experience without using extra points. My DS20 and DS15 have taken friends over the past few years. All 4 of the guys they have taken have been first-timers and 3 flew with us for the first time.

SSR was a perfect resort for the guys. We stayed in Grandstand near the pool which was a great area: short walk to The Carriage House and to the boats. Transportation was easy for them to use and they took the boat to DTD every evening that they were not at a park. They figured out when to use the Grandstand bus stop or the one by The Carriage House, depending on coming or going. Both stops were within a 5 min. walk.

Although my husband and I loved the 2-br at VWL, the location for the guys was not as good as SSR.

The boys loved BCV because of the pool and the proximity to Epcot. They enjoyed strolling over to Epcot to watch Illuminations in the evening or to take advantage of the evening EMH.

We've also stayed with the boys at the Wilderness cabins and they liked being able to attend the sing-along and campfire.

My opinion, based on the times we have taken newbies, is that your son's friend will have a fantastic trip based on the total trip experience. The friend we took in Aug 2012, is getting ready to graduate from college next month. While on our trip, he told me about the young lady he was dating and said he hoped to propose to her the summer of '13. He asked me about the best resort at WDW for a honeymoon. So sweet :lovestruc

Thank you so much for sharing! You are renewing my faith that as my son gets older he may still enjoy coming down and bringing friends or even someday his bride. We have made many trips to disney as a family but only recently became dvc owners. My dd 23 and dh are both fine going once every 5 years but for me and my ds, once or twice a year is best. I am definitely changing to SSR and wl standard room at bwv. Knowing pretty well that it will not open up. Thank you again!

nisiemouse said:
I would agree with Congress Park and being able to walk to downtown disney. I don't remember our specific room number though.

Congress Park sounds like it would be amazing I'm just not sure about when they're going to begin construction

Thank you for this information. It helps take the mystery out of which location in the Grandstand is most convenient. Just out of curiosity, what was the view from your balcony.

The views from the building with rooms 8501-8836 are of the golf course. It was a beautiful view and a very peaceful setting. I don't have any photos from our balcony from that room, but check out this thread for a google maps satellite view of the resort.

Thank you. To be honest the view is for me. But a view of either downtown disney or the water and or bridge at SSR would be amazing.
I know the Congress Park view of Downtown Disney is very popular. To be honest, though, it didn't do a lot for me. If you do want a Downtown Disney view, be certain to ask for that specifically in addition to asking for Congress Park. Not all rooms in Congress Park can see DTD. Some look out into the woods.

We've stayed in every section of SSR, and my favorite -- by far -- is the view from the Paddock, especially the buildings closest to the bridge.

This was our view from that building (5501-5836)

Congress Park sounds like it would be amazing I'm just not sure about when they're going to begin construction
I read in another post that the trailers are already in place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter