Travelling in a truck

Partridge4ever

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have any suggestions for storing luggage in the bed of a truck to protect it from rain? Last time we used a tarp, but it kept blowing up. Our in-laws followed us, so we ended up putting our stuff with them. We eventually want one of those lid things, but they're too expensive to get before January.

NE Indiana to Orlando, FL, the first week of Feb with 1 1/2 ton of stone in the bed for weight so we didn't get stuck here at home......does that qualify? LOL

We didn't pack suitecases. I bought 4 rubbermaid storage bins after Xmas when they went on sale. We packes the bins with everything except what we wanted in the cab of the truck with us on the way down. (change of clothes, things to keep us occupied, pillows and blankets) Nothing in the bin got wet. When we pulled into Dixie Landings, the valet didn't even bat an eye. The bottoms of the bins got a little muddy and I apologized until the next day. The guys kept telling me it wasn't a bid deal. (The bins were muddy from the snow melting on the stone and then the dirt washing off of it and off of the back of the truck) If you do this, make sure you get the bins with the snap on lids, not the ones that have the lids attatched like doors. Those probably wouldn't work as well since they don't seal. If you are worried about the lids flying off on the highway, take a bungy cord from handle to handle and that will ease your mind. (old camping trip to keep the raccoons out of the food) Hope this helps.

We used the Rubbermaid tubs also, but put our suitcases in them. Then just left them in the truck. We also carry soda, etc with us in them. You can even padlock them together for security. Oh, and we hit a carwash when we get south if everything is muddy from the snow.

Funny you should say that, hobogary. We tried to run the truck thru a few car washes, but we have a big F250 and they said it wouldn't fit. We asked about an RV washing service and no one knew where to find one. (no biggie) When we got gas at the Exxon station between the All Stars and DD, the clerk said she would sell us a car wash (the truck would fit thru thiers) but it really wouldn't be worth it. She said that the wash really only knocks the dust off, not a real cleaning if there was mud and such on the truck. (she was VERY nice and honest)

That's a heck of an idea, though! ;) Sounds like something worth trying. (Maybe if our truck wasn't so big and dirty is would have worked for us.)

We use the manual, wand type car washes, and also have an F 250 super duty, I'd tell you where we stop, but you dont really come the same way.( maybe try a truck stop?)

The Rubbermaid storage containers work great. We have 2 we use for camping and they have 2 wheels
on the ends of them. It makes it very easy to wheel around and they do not leak.

We have an F150 Super crew, and I have decided Uncle Sam is buying me a bed lid with IRS refund
(about $800). We'll be drving from Houston, and
need more security than the containers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter