• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

travelling to wdw with wife on dialysis

garycindy

Earning My Ears
we are going to wdw in feb for the first time since my wife started dialysis (peritoneal). has anyone done this before, carrying the machine onboard the airplane? also baxter who supplies the dialysis solution said it would ship the solution right to our resort (WL) any one done this? any help would be GREATLY appreciated as she is a little nervous about the whole trip. (for those wondering, she is only 33 years old) thank you. :earsboy:

Personally, I wouldn't depend on Baxter or anyone else to see I had everything I needed, I'd do it myself. That way there's no mistakes or disappointments. I'd get a carry on bag for all my supplies and bring them with me. If Baxter ships the solution to the resort, how would you know if they shipped the right solution or the correct amount, for instance? I wouldn't chance it.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!! :wizard:

Have to agree with the previous poster...never leave it to chance...and I would pose your question on the disABILITIES board as well, as there may be someone on that board who can better answer your question.

BTW...I worked with dialysis and transplant patients for years and they are some of the bravest people I know.

I hope you and your wife have a fabulous vacation. :flower:

Yes, go to the Disability board for Q and A.

I am going to WDW in December, but I am on hemo dialysis. I will have my treatments T/Th and Sat in Celebration (which is a small town on Disney property) about 15 minutes away.

check with your wife's social worker and maybe one of the dialysis centers in Celebration or Orlando can help you with supplies so that you do not have to concern yourself with carry-ons and supplies being shipped.

How does your wife do with walking or fatigue? The Disability board can answer questions about ECVs (mobile chairs) and a GAC (Guest Assistant Card).

Here's some pixie dust for your trip :wizard:

I might also like to have the name and address of somewhere I could go for help if I ran into problems, too. (Not that I would expect them, just prepare for them). ;)

Here's a link to one of the DISabilities forums discussions re: dialysis:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=828275&highlight=dialysis

As far as supplies, my mother needs injectable medicines and infusion treatments. Her special services mail order pharmacy is wonderful with mailing stuff where ever I need it, and in dealing with any problems (one time a pre-loaded syringe was cracked -- they had a replacement there within 12 hours.) So personally, I would not hesitate to have them mail things, although I take an extra days supply just in case of mixups or airline problems. Barring another Katrina, that would take care of any unforeseen problems. Also, work with Special Services at Disney -- there's a direct number for them on the DISabilities forum. They were VERY helpful in answering coordination questions for me that my mom's insurance people needed to set up her treatments during our upcoming trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter