Treating others to meals on DDP

LizzyC

PiratePrincess
Greetings, everyone!
Sorry if this has been asked before, I just have not seen any posts..... :confused3
My Inlaws will be meeting us at MGM one of the days of our WDW vacation. We will have some extra TS credits and would like to treat them to dinner. :wizard:
Will this be allowed, or will we need to pay out of pocket? Has anyone been able to treat folks to a meal beofre?

I wanted to know too. So, that means that you can share credits with those dining with you? That is great news. Especially since they make you get it for your length of stay and it might be eating more than you would normally do.

The search is down, but someone posted a few weeks ago that they weren't able to share their meals. They were limited to how many people were listed on their tickets. They had more adults at the table than were listed on their card, so the server refused to serve them the extra adult meals.

Yes, there do appear to be some limits applied sometimes, but if I recall those threads correctly, that was only when there were some children on the Dining Plan, and the guests were trying to use Dining Plan credits for adults not on the Dining Plan.

We had no problem last September (05) sharing our credits with non-DDP diners. However, in April (06) recently we wanted to share our extra TS credits with other adults (my grown daughter and SIL who flew in the last few days we were there) because we had a lot of leftover TS credits (we ate OOP at the Plaza and Trails End, and skipped a few meals....not hungry). We had no problem giving our TS credits away at Kona's and LeCellier, but we had a huge hassle at Coral Reef. The server argued with us and said we couldn't do it. We were 2 adults and had only adult TS credits and wanted to pay for 2 other adults with our extras. We gave the server both of our room cards (same account)which each said 2A on them and they had to ring up our bill under 2 separate bills (the bills were broken down for myself and I paid for daugther, while my husband's bill was for him and SIL). We asked at Kona's and LeCelliers if they wanted both of our cards when we gave away our credits for other meals and each place had no problem taking 4TS credits off of our account. We did carry the brochure with us after our hassle at Coral Reef. The brochure does said ...."the credits are yours to use however you want...." which is what we were trying to do. (However, my interpertation of how I wanted to use my credits may not be what Disney intended, but I paid for them, they were adult credits and that is what I was using them for.) We also gave away alot of CS credits and snack credits too to other family members that showed up later. (We were there for 2 weeks.) Even giving our credits away, we still think we got our money's worth on the meals we did use them for.

Someone said that the new 2006 plan info states that dining credits are "non-transferable" which would leave me to believe that the credits can be used BY YOU however you wish, but you can't "transfer" them to others not on the plan.

On another recent thread someone posted that the manager at Yachtsman Steakhouse refused to let them pay for 3 adults with credits because their card stated 2 Adults/1 child. This was last month (May). Apparently the manager accused them of trying to use a child's credit for the extra adult. I'd give you the link for it, if I knew how to do that kind of thing! :blush:

I think it probably depends on the restaurant's policy. If you try it, just be prepared to pay cash for the extra adult if the manager of the restautrant does not allow it. :)

I never would have interpreted 'nontransferable' that way. Sort of like a gift certificate. A lot of them say they are 'nontransferable.' But that doesn't mean you can't use them to buy something for someone else.

I would have thought that meant that you can't give transfer the credits to someone else. Not that you can't buy the food and give it to someone else!

The Dining Plan has always been non-transferable. It is only a matter of how Disney decides to enforce it, and that can and almost surely will change over time, based on utilization, demand, competitive and market forces.

The DDP is non-transferable meaning only the individuals on the DDP should be using it.... So don't be suprised if they enforce the rules and you have to pay out of pocket for your in-laws and wind up with credits left over. You should plan accordingly.

We went earlier in the month and had no problem using the DDP for my sister who joined us for 4 days. We did Cindy's castle for lunch, San Angel Inn for dinner and Donalds breakfast. We had a great time, great service (which we did tip extra) and no one ask or questioned anything.
This actually worked out good for us, as we all got that yucky stomach virus and we had to cancel many of our ADR due to know one feeling like eating.

aristocat said:
The DDP is non-transferable meaning only the individuals on the DDP should be using it.... So don't be suprised if they enforce the rules and you have to pay out of pocket for your in-laws and wind up with credits left over. You should plan accordingly.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. Especially as your point is well taken, the rule is interpreted in this manner by some restaurants and people should plan accordingly.

My point is, however, that I have read the rule in question and had a different, and I believe entirely legitimate, intrepretation of 'non-transferable.' So, I don't believe it's as simple as saying 'The rule is X. This is what the rule means. ' That implies that people who expect differently didn't read the rules, or, are expecting the rule not to be applied to them. Instead, I'd say that some restaurants and/or people may interpret the rule differently.

I think this is important because many people take following the rules and not 'cheating' seriously. I wouldn't want to paint it that people who interpret this statement differently are either careless or somehow skirting the rules.

Especially when this is often not a case of trying to squeeze more value from the plan, but simply trying to do something nice for others, or to efficiently plan your use of credits.

We have done this twice now, with no problems at all! Last December, I treated a friend twice, once at Chef Mickeys and the other at Kona Cafe. The Chef Mickeys one though, it was just her and I and our two kids...my card said 2A and 2C though. At Kona, there were 5 adults and 3 kids and it wasn't a problem at all.

Then last week, we treated two friends and one of their kids. We have 3 extra credits left over (we had planned on a breakfast and never did go) on our last night...so we used them up that last night at Ohana!

Some places are strict though, like Olivias! So, just go and ask, but be prepared for them to say no.

RachelEllen makes a good point. However, do remember that the brochure says nothing about being able to use your Dining Plan credits for people who aren't in "your party". They use that term "your party" a lot, meaning the folks who are booked as part of your reservation. While enforcement of this isn't common, this is probably an even stronger reason to be prepared for CMs to decline to allow you to use your credits for others than the "non-transferable" stuff.

If your cards say 4 adults I would think you would not have problems. If your cards say 2 adults and you are planning to feed 4 adults, then Yes you might have problems.

RachelEllen said:
I'm not trying to be argumentative. Especially as your point is well taken, the rule is interpreted in this manner by some restaurants and people should plan accordingly.

My point is, however, that I have read the rule in question and had a different, and I believe entirely legitimate, intrepretation of 'non-transferable.' So, I don't believe it's as simple as saying 'The rule is X. This is what the rule means. ' That implies that people who expect differently didn't read the rules, or, are expecting the rule not to be applied to them. Instead, I'd say that some restaurants and/or people may interpret the rule differently.

I think this is important because many people take following the rules and not 'cheating' seriously. I wouldn't want to paint it that people who interpret this statement differently are either careless or somehow skirting the rules.

Especially when this is often not a case of trying to squeeze more value from the plan, but simply trying to do something nice for others, or to efficiently plan your use of credits.

You have a good point, and it illustrates why all of this can be so confusing, for both the guest and the CMs working the restaurants.

I have always considered the plan similar to staying at an All Inclusive resort where I get a certain number of meals. If I did not eat all my meals I would not be allowed to invite friends over to my resort and share them with them.

Sammie said:
I have always considered the plan similar to staying at an All Inclusive resort where I get a certain number of meals. If I did not eat all my meals I would not be allowed to invite friends over to my resort and share them with them.

Wow! That's an very good way of putting it!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter