Tree Nut Allergy @ CS & Snacks

mom22princesses

Mouseketeer
Hello! We're off to see the Mouse in 11 days!! My two DDs both have an allergy to tree nuts and I was wondering how
to find out about the ingredients in the CS food and snacks. I've read some other posts on here and they've been very helpful ... thanks!
I've made my ADRs and had the allergy noted on there, however when
I asked the dining CM about other foods she said we'd have to wait
and ask at each particular place ... hmmm.

I was looking for some advice from those who have dealt with this.
Is there a list somewhere, for instance, with Mickey Ice Cream Bar ingredients?

I just don't want to promise them something
before hand that they won't be able to have!

Thanks for your help! :Pinkbounc

my tree nut allergic niece ate the mickey bars!

we just read labels as we went, asked questions and stuck with "safe" choices...

we carried her pen everywhere and she had lots of contact reactions, the worst on the back of her legs, we figure someone sat on the coach seat, ate nuts, wiped greasy hands on the seat, tash sat on it, bingo, hives, weals, crying, swelling :crazy:

Here is my trip report from last summer and if you scroll down you will see that I mentioned contacting "Barbara Bennett" of MK foods and gave the phone number. Her name is actually Brenda I think! oops! But anyway the phone number is there. If you give that a call she can email or mail you some info on CS restaurants in all the parks. The info in my post might be helpful too. Here is my post: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=818591&highlight=peanut+allergy+diabetic

So the allergy is just to tree nuts and not peanut right? We had more trouble with foods being cross contaminated with peanut. Seems like I've read about the mickey bars being a "may contain" but not sure if that was with peanuts and tree nuts or just peanut." I know we didn't have any!

My DD8 is allergic to all tree nuts and peanuts too. She has eaten the Mickey bars many times with no problem. We do check the label on everything she eats. I will check them again, though, when we go in May. You never know if a manufactoring process will change and thus change the possibility of cross-contamination.

I do ask at the counter service restaurants if they use peanut oil for their fryer (I don't recall anywhere we couldn't eat because of this). We also stick with simple fare that is unlikely to be contaminated. We do not buy anything from the bakeries or ice cream shops for her, either (except she can have the plain vanilla soft-serve that comes from a machine; we avoid the scoop-kind because of cross-contamination from the scooper).

Also, when we ate at Hollywood & Vine at MGM, we informed the waiter and he had the chef come out and walk us down the buffet, explaining in detail what was in each item. They were extremely concerned and accomodating. WDW does a very good job accomodating special food needs. They took our issue seriously everywhere we went. I think WDW must really train their restaurant employees about the seriousness of food allergies. I think you will be well pleased with your experience at WDW in dealing with the food situation for your daughters.

Of course, don't forget the Epi-Pens. My daughter carries one in her waist pack and I carry one in mine. We also carry benedryl tablets and she wears a medic-alert bracelet. Also, know where the first aid station is in each park in case of an emergency. They are trained to handle allergic reactions.

Have a wonderful trip and try not to worry, WDW knows what they are doing when it comes to food allergies! :wave:

Thanks all for the info! I happy about the mickey bars and I'll be checking the labels (of course) Isn't it interesting how some foods change ingredients/contamination from one day to the next. We usually avoid all baked goods and ice cream stuff too ...kinda sticks for the kids, but they are very good about it. I always carry extra treats, my epipens & benadryl! Can really start making the backpack full ... LOL!

Carol ... I read your report ... Thanks a lot ... it was very reassuring. The girls are not allergic to peanuts (thankfully), just tree nuts. I feel for you with the peanuts, though, because it seems to be on just about every label I read! It's got to be doubly hard when you are limited by that and the diabetes. My brother was diagnosed with diabetes at age 14 and I remember vacations being really hard! I will try using the number you provided too. I would love to get a list of ingredients for some of the CS places just in case.

I appreciate all the responses!

My DS7 is highly allergic to tree and peanuts. He can not eat the Mickey Bars. We do go to Main Street Ice Cream Parlor and get an ice cream scoop. We tell them about the allergy and they get a new scoop and a new container of vanilla ice cream from the back. The pastries are usually made at the same place and they will tell you that they may contain nuts. We have not had a problem and we have gone often in the last year. I still carry two Epi-Pens just in case.
My DS had a piece of carrot cake last April. He made the comment that he has always wanted to try it but he has not been able to due to nuts. No nuts or cross contamination in that cake. I was one happy DM :love: .

mom22princesses,

As mother of two food allergic children (DD6 is allergic to peanuts, DD3 is allergic to tree nuts), I can tell you that we've had many many reaction-free trips to WDW. Just one of the many reasons we keep going back.

Definitely do what Selket suggests -- read her post and contact Barbara Bennett, Magic Kingdom food service, ASAP. She is able to email you general information regarding park food as well as fairly complete ingredient lists.

Re: ice cream -- Barbara Bennett told me of two places in the MK where the ice cream (albeit soft serve) is completely peanut and tree nut-free. One is called Aloha Isle and is located near Aladdin's Flying Carpets (this is where you can get Dole Whips -- the pineapple/vanilla twist is delicious) and the other is right outside the exit of the Tiki Room. There is no danger of cross-contamination at these locations as there are in the ice cream available on Main Street.

Have a great time!

DVCDawn ::MinnieMo

Hi-
Just wanted to report in and let you know that I got back from WDW and had a successful trip based on the great info here & from Brenda Bennett (Brenda.Bennett@disney.com). She was a wealth of information and also passed my information along to the restaurants that we had ADRs for and they all contacted me.

The only not-so-great experience was at Whispering Canyon at the WL, the server must have been having an "off" night and when I asked twice about what was safe on the menu, he just kept saying, "order what you want and I'll check with the chef" but usually it is the other way around. I ended up getting something I really didn't want because he seemed very rushed & I was worried about having a reaction there.

I am allergic to tree & peanuts, eggs, bananas, oysters & mussels. Because of my advance planning I was able to enjoy a Mickey bar, ice cream at the MK on Main Street (the opened a new container and used a freshly washed scoop in an area where they do not keep nuts--had to wait a few mins extra but worth it!) and also at Beaches & Cream too. A few sit-downs gave me a special dessert since I can't do the cakes or that type of thing, mostly fresh fruit with ice cream.

For the CS I recommended that you approach a CM (I usually try to get the attention of one that is working behind the counter) and ask for the manager because of food allergy issues. I've never had a problem doing this and the managers all say that they are glad to help & on some occasions will note that a certain ingredient list is not up to date. If they don't know the answer, they'll look it up for you, if they still don't know they might try to find an alternative for you.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Welovedis:

I've got two questions for you.

1. When you had the ice cream on Main Street were they able to tell you if there were any traces of nuts or peanuts in the ice cream? I'm asking because With ice cream in particular we've had a lot of cross-contamination issues which have resulted in some minor reactions. As a matter of fact, WDW is one of the few places we actually buy ice cream. Usually I make all the ice cream we eat. Gotta love that Cuisinart ice cream maker!

2. How did it work at Beaches and Cream? Do they have any soft-serve or is it all hard ice cream? We always stay at BWV and that is just a short walk away for us.

Thanks for your help!

Welovedis - Just curious if the info Brenda sent said the Mickey bars are safe? Seems like they were unsafe (for possible peanut) last summer. I would love to be able to get William one of those. Although he did love the Itskadoozies! (those are peanut/nut free as far as I know!). I know the mickey bars used to be safe and then they thought they were unsafe and perhaps they are back to safe again :rolleyes:

I'm sorry you had trouble at WC - we did fine there but William doesn't have so many allergies. I don't remember the chef coming out there to talk to us either but maybe he/she did. I know at LTT there was no chef. I did (in hindsight) think that we were given the wrong info from a chef the 1st time we ate at Biergarten who told me EVERYTHING on the buffet was safe (including desserts!) except one type of cookie and the rolls/breads. The 2nd time we ate there the chef said the desserts were not safe - or he wouldn't know since they weren't made in house or something. I asked that 1st chef several times and he swore it was safe. I'm just glad William didn't react to anything! Much of the time your experience at the restaurant is very dependent on what server and chef you get!

I just wanted to add that I read somewhere on the boards today (can't find the link anywhere...sorry) that the children are given PB & J sandwiches on the Pirate Cruise and they cannot be responsible even if your child does not eat the sandwich becasue there could be P.Butter on the other childrens hands etc.....I never would have thought of that. I can't imagine all the things you have to check with a child with allergies. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful trip!

D said:
I just wanted to add that I read somewhere on the boards today (can't find the link anywhere...sorry) that the children are given PB & J sandwiches on the Pirate Cruise and they cannot be responsible even if your child does not eat the sandwich becasue there could be P.Butter on the other childrens hands etc.....I never would have thought of that. I can't imagine all the things you have to check with a child with allergies. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful trip!
It was on the Theme Parks Board and is probably on page 4 by now since that board moves kind of fast.

It was the Pirate Cruise. They serve uncrustables peanut butter and would not substitute since they said the boat was used for other purposes and they could not guarantee the boat would be free of peanut residue.

The original thread was closed because it got pretty ugly and I don't want to see any of what happened on that thread here.

I stopped reading that thread a long time ago - I knew it was going to be :sad2: That is one thing I enjoy about this board - most discussions are friendly and at the very least they are civilized. I'm sorry William has diabetes and food allergies but I have enjoyed finding such a nice community of folks here on this board and the good direction Sue provides. :goodvibes

I'm still curious what Brenda says about those Mickey bars! I will have to call her myself - LOL! I've started reading the board more often now cause we might go to WDW in April during spring break but so far I haven't told the kids in case it doesn't work out. It is really such a pleasure to go to WDW with William - I feel very safe there dining out with his allergies and I think most folks go above and beyond to accomodate us.

DVCDawn said:
Welovedis:

I've got two questions for you.

1. When you had the ice cream on Main Street were they able to tell you if there were any traces of nuts or peanuts in the ice cream? I'm asking because With ice cream in particular we've had a lot of cross-contamination issues which have resulted in some minor reactions. As a matter of fact, WDW is one of the few places we actually buy ice cream. Usually I make all the ice cream we eat. Gotta love that Cuisinart ice cream maker!

2. How did it work at Beaches and Cream? Do they have any soft-serve or is it all hard ice cream? We always stay at BWV and that is just a short walk away for us.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Dawn-
At the Ice cream parlor on MS, I told them that I had some food allergies and a manager came out to speak with me off to the side. I explained that I am most severly allergic to eggs & bananas and also midly allergic to tree & peanuts. He said that they would get a fresh "tub" of ice cream from the back, open in a separate area, use a freshly cleaned scoop and also use the hot fudge from a separate container in the back. I had no reaction whatsoever.

At B & C it was virtually the same thing, they used a separate container and I had no issue, but the ice cream is scooped, not soft serve.

Selket said:
Welovedis - Just curious if the info Brenda sent said the Mickey bars are safe? Seems like they were unsafe (for possible peanut) last summer. I would love to be able to get William one of those. Although he did love the Itskadoozies! (those are peanut/nut free as far as I know!). I know the mickey bars used to be safe and then they thought they were unsafe and perhaps they are back to safe again :rolleyes:

I'm sorry you had trouble at WC - we did fine there but William doesn't have so many allergies. I don't remember the chef coming out there to talk to us either but maybe he/she did. I know at LTT there was no chef. I did (in hindsight) think that we were given the wrong info from a chef the 1st time we ate at Biergarten who told me EVERYTHING on the buffet was safe (including desserts!) except one type of cookie and the rolls/breads. The 2nd time we ate there the chef said the desserts were not safe - or he wouldn't know since they weren't made in house or something. I asked that 1st chef several times and he swore it was safe. I'm just glad William didn't react to anything! Much of the time your experience at the restaurant is very dependent on what server and chef you get!

Carol-Brenda said that she thought the bars would be ok for me, but to check them when we got there. I did check, but the label said that it was processed in a facility w/nuts. etc.....however, I'm ok with that exposure, it is the egg/bananas that I am severely allergic to so I took the chance and I was fine, no reaction at all. Usually I get an upset stomach for a hour or 2 if I don't carefully read something & then see the "processed" info. This time it was ok but I could understand that you would need to be more careful with the peanut issue. My allergy is not as severe as your son's is.

ITA about the server/chef issue. It was a new experience to try WCC, but we probably won't go back. DH is deaf and just doesn't enjoy those types of things, although he does like 50's PT in MGM-probably for the food. Plus he had the BBQ platter & since he eats little fatty food, he didn't care for it (have no idea why he ordered it) plus he got the all you can drink milkshakes and got a little queasy after dinner.

Sorry to hear about that experience at BG, thank goodness your DS didn't get ill from the 1st exposure, I was told to avoid all the desserts there because of the eggs and nuts.

D, L & K's mom, Sue & Selket--I didn't see that thread when it was up, but searched & found it, so sorry it had to turn that way!

I love being able to come to the DIS boards and get good information, a sense of what to expect and the friendship that I've experienced over the years. It is hard when the discussions turn ugly, but that just seems to be the norm for many online discussion groups lately--luckily I've had a better than usual experience here.

It is unfortunate that many people (not necessarily on this board but IRL in general) are just so "me" oriented. I find it truly sad when I hear about comments made to those in WCs or to those using a GAC, it is tough.

For a bright spot, on our latest trip, we came up with an idea for our DS to try to brighten other's days and help him with his social issues. With his consultant teacher & counselor, we came up with some strategies to use when he was having a hard time (like in line when someone bumped into him-he cannot stand it), he would try to talk to that person about something out of the blue "have you ever been on this ride?" that type of thing. Other times he would just plain do something nice for someone.

Once he bought a small set of Lego bricks for a family with a little boy--out of his own allowance. Another time it was the balloon to someone waiting in line --turned out not to be D,L & K's family though--little things that make a big difference. We try not to remind him to do these kind of things, but once every couple of days we say, have we done something nice lately and then he will remember. Other time he remembers on his own. It is a great feeling knowing that my AS son will think outside of his little bubble to try to brighten someone's day. While I want nothing in return that to see his beaming smile when he's done, I also hope it will set in motion a whole stream of "pay it forwards". I just wish that most people who visited WDW would do the same. :thumbsup2

Karen - thanks for the info on the Mickey bars. I thought they had recently been labeled as "may contains" for peanut which, you're right, wouldn't work for my son. He loves the Itskadoozies (which are a doozie to give insulin for too- LOL!) but at least it has the carb count on the package and we did manage with those last time.

WC was fun for our kids - the food was o.k. but nothing I'd HAVE to eat again. I had never been to the WL before so I enjoyed that part of it.

I loved the story about your son. I would hope we'd have the good fortune to "bump" into him (lightly of course) sometime! What a wonderful coping strategy.

Can someone tell me what a Mickey Bar is? We're going in June, my DS is allergic to peanuts/tree nuts. I e-mailed WDW for info and they sent me phone #s for the Food and Beverage manager for each park. I'm not sure how far in advance I should call for those lists of ingredients :confused3 I'm so glad to read how many people have had positive experiences with food allergies in Disney.

Teresa

A mickey bar is a chocolated coated vanilla ice cream bar shaped like the head of Mickey mouse I think - I've actually never had one. They are popular in the ice cream carts. It seems they are "may contains" for peanut/tree nut. My son who is allergic to those things likes the Itskadoozie bar which is a giant twisted multi-color popsicle. Those are safe from peanut/tree nut as far as I know - not sure about other allergens.

If one of the numbers you have is for Brenda Bennet of Magic Kingdom foods be sure and give her a call and leave your email address info. In the past she has been able to email us extensive lists of safe/unsafe foods for all 4 parks and is very helpful in general. I would try contacting her 2-3 weeks before your trip so you have the most current info.

Selket said:
Karen - thanks for the info on the Mickey bars. I thought they had recently been labeled as "may contains" for peanut which, you're right, wouldn't work for my son. He loves the Itskadoozies (which are a doozie to give insulin for too- LOL!) but at least it has the carb count on the package and we did manage with those last time.

WC was fun for our kids - the food was o.k. but nothing I'd HAVE to eat again. I had never been to the WL before so I enjoyed that part of it.

I loved the story about your son. I would hope we'd have the good fortune to "bump" into him (lightly of course) sometime! What a wonderful coping strategy.

Yeah, we liked WL too, neat to see it for the 1st time. Man I can't imagine what you have to go thru the insulin, I would be so bad at counting and remembering, I'd have to write it all down!

Maybe sometime we'll "bump" into each other-lightly of course, lol...that was cute. :goodvibes

And the Mickey bars are just as you described, but the chocolate on them is awesome, like if you've ever had a Dove ice cream bar, then you'll know what I mean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter