Trip report DLR and NY

Lovely pictures in the Park and of the sunset. Looks like you had a great time in NYC.

Day 7 Downtown and Broadway
This was our planned Downtown day. Started much later than intended as we slept in and then got our washing together and went to the laundry the hotel had recommended just up a street (only $8 for up to a 10lb load for them to wash and fold-same day service-brilliant!) Chores being taken care of by someone else off we went. Caught the no 1 from the nearby subway down to South Ferry and rode the Staten Island ferry past the SoL and back. We went closer to the SoL than we thought we might based on reports I had read of others and we felt we got a good look and also enjoyed views of downtown Manhatten. The little lighthouse on the island or promontory near Staten Isd is very cute.

Some pics of the ferry ride

IMG_6497.jpg

IMG_6504.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

IMG_6517.jpg

Back in Manhatten we wandered northwards taking in the sights. Unexpected cameos-market gardens in Battery Park, shoe shiner outside Trinity Church and burning gaslights around the fountain in City Hall park plus public artwork everywhere. Paid our respects in St Pauls Chapel and noted the new World Trade Centre buildings are coming on apace. Really liked Federal Hall and all the classical revivalist style (or whatever its called) architecture of many downtown buildings.

The elaborate entrance to a subway

IMG_6533.jpg

Market Garden along the foreshore

IMG_6532.jpg

The damaged sphere from the WTC

IMG_0374.jpg

WTC being rebuilt-2 towers are on the way, 2 have been delayed

IMG_0389.jpg

St Pauls Chapel-centre of the rescue effort with a moving memorial inside

IMG_0391.jpg

Nearby Trinity Church early graveyard (1700's)

IMG_0388.jpg

Shoeshiner

IMG_6549.jpg

Federal Hall where George Washington was inaugurated as the first President of the USA

IMG_6541.jpg

Wall St-since 9/11 no longer can do tours or get too close.

IMG_6540.jpg

Public art in City Hall Park

IMG_6550.jpg

Old fashioned gaslights still burn beside the fountain

IMG_6553.jpg

Loved the architecture of downtown

IMG_0538.jpg

Dallied with some shopping and ended up just buying take away deli salads for lunch (very good as they always were from anywhere it seemed) but struggled to find seats in the shade in City Hall Park-it was one of those hot days. Bought cupcakes for later-I can't tell you from where-but they were so good-I can't believe how good NY cupcakes were (and I know I DIDN'T take any pics-sack me but in the heat the icing did get very melty so didn't look like much by time we got home but still tasted great!). Anyway we checked out the NY City store and made some purchases and decided we were getting too hot and tired for more touring so time to head home as we had to go out early for a Broadway show. En route to a subway admired the ironwork of the buildings in Tribeca.

Traditional fire escapes in Tribeca

IMG_6557.jpg

Our show tonight was How to Succeed in Business. We had pizza at Johns Pizzeria in Times Square first-very good pizza and service and loved the interior decor. We were amused going for a walk to fill in time afterwards by all the would be dancers outside the Juilliard School of Dance-such a cliche group of young, beautiful, highly strung girls. The show was brilliant (we had second row balcony seats). All the performers were excellent-yes Daniel can sing. The show was very funny and anyone who has ever worked in an office would relate to it. We liked the small, more intimate size of the theatre as well.

IMG_6575.jpg

We have never been stage door groupies but when we saw the crowds outside we thought we have to do this once so joined in. Not close enough for autographs but got some photos of John Larroquette-damn Daniel is far too short! and so home to bed. Another great day but didn't quite make a wander in Nolita or LES as I had planned -next time!

IMG_6559.jpg

IMG_6561.jpg

Loving your trip report. Can't wait to go to NY in a couple of trips. Pics are brilliant, and I could comment on all, but I'm not good at that.

Are you using a p&s or a DSLR? The colours are great!

I am enjoying reading your trip report. Your photos are great - so clear. What camera did you use?

I am loving your NY photo's. Hard to believe we will be there next week!
Have a great time - I could go back with you (to there & WDW!). We are off to Byron for the weekend-with the pooch as well-looking forward to chilling by the beach.

Loving your trip report. Can't wait to go to NY in a couple of trips. Pics are brilliant, and I could comment on all, but I'm not good at that.

Are you using a p&s or a DSLR? The colours are great!
Two cameras -a quite new Canon G12 - not SLR but a few more bells and whistles than a p&s (hubby's provence and a 50th pressie to himself-I still am trying to fathom how to work the more complicated bits) and an older Canon p&s with a small zoom that belongs to my daughter. Hers takes better sunrises and sunsets than the new one-the sunset shots over the Hudson are taken with that for ex. The nightime ones from TOR (not yet posted) & fireworks are mostly with the Canon-blurred more easily than husband's old but good DSLR-he didn't want to bring this bigger camera with him this trip. Both take great macro - shots in Grand Canyon to come of hummingbird and bees I think are really good and yes colours are good on both.

Day 8: Getting lost in Midtown

Another exhausting but good day though didn't quite go as planned. I changed my initial plans from visiting Brooklyn to wandering midtown today as we had to go up to the Rockefeller Centre and get Top of the Rock tickets for sunset first- I was worried they would sell out of the timed spots if I waited til later in the day. For some reason Rockefeller seemed to give us problems all day-we kept walking in circles but not finding it-I know that sounds ridiculous.

Anyway to start with we caught the subway to 42nd and spent far too long cruising shops near Times Square first - like the Disney store-guess who came home with a giant Simba (did I mention my daughter is 19 but a "nice" Simba has been on her wishlist since she was 3).

Times Square in the am

IMG_0404.jpg

Love the Disney store-it had a great range of stuff-including items I have never seen actually in Disneyland, WDW or Downtowns.

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Having secured tickets to 8pm entry to ToR, we walked up to Grand Central Terminal, admired the ceilings & played in the Whispering Gallery, but reluctantly decided still too full from breaky (cinnamon & raison bread today) to indulge in cheesecake from Juniors, then walked up to have a look at the exterior of the Chrysler Bdg. Deciding it was so close we would fulfill a request from a friend who had asked us to try and find time to visit the UN (figuring we could buy her a gift from there too)-waited far too long for a bus-we should have walked. We didn't do a tour just looked at the displays in the Visitors Centre which were very interesting-the memorial stained glass window is beautiful, and the elephant hidden behind the hedge outside is cute-the story goes he was so scary to children they had to partly hide him-not sure if this is true!

Grand Central Terminal Main Hall

IMG_0410.jpg

Exterior of the Chrysler Bdg

IMG_0424zoom.jpg

Exterior of the UN (being worked on)

IMG_0429-Copy.jpg

St George slays the dragon of war

IMG_0433.jpg

The scary elephant

IMG_0436.jpg

Inside the VC-the stained glass window memorial to those who have lost their lives for the UN

IMG_6596.jpg

These are tapestries not paintings!

IMG_6593-Copy.jpg

We caught a bus back to 42nd St and went into the New York Public Library. This is so beautiful inside and again we spent much longer than anticipated perusing their 100 Treasures collection-the illuminated Xanten Hebrew bible, Jack Kerouac memorabilia including his diary that On the Road was written from, an early Guttenburg bible, Malcolm X writings, maps, Beethoven score, women's 19thC dance cards, rather bizarrely a Klu Klux Klan robe.

The Library facade

IMG_0449.jpg

One of the 2 lions that guard the entrance

IMG_0451.jpg

The grand reading rooms

IMG_0461.jpg

From the 100 Treasures exhibition-Jack Kerouac memorobilia

IMG_0457-Copy.jpg

An early bible

IMG_6607.jpg

Saturated with information we sat upstairs in Zeytinz and had a good meal from their deli overlooking Bryant Park which we wandered through afterwards. Somehow it was another 3pm lunch-story of the trip. Wonderful park with lots of chairs and tables, games, magazines, even a book corner!!

In Zeytinz

IMG_0463-Copy.jpg

Bryant Park

IMG_6612.jpg

Book corner

IMG_6614.jpg

Down to Herald Sqe and Macey's looking for a graduation dress for daughter. Tried a ton on in the sales but none she liked that looked good on her in a size that fitted. So cheap though. She did buy a bag which had been doubly reduced + our 10% international discount so very good value. Subwayed to Union Sqe for more of the same but getting tired so took our purchases back to the hotel for a short R n R before going back out.

Plans to eat out first went awry as in a hurry we caught the wrong subway and muddled about so ended up going straight to Rockefeller-getting confused over which building it was again-and up top in time for early sunset and after dark pics. Great views from up here and well worth it but very very hazy-probably should have gone up early am instead for clarity. Good to have a proper look at the ESB though and views of Manhattan north and south.

Central Park

DSC_0057.jpg

ESB and downtown

DSC_0065.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

Afterwards we just popped into a restaurant we had noticed on our way there as they had crepes advertised, Un Deux Trois-we found the savoury crepes good (and well priced at $14.50) and the deserts even better and the staff very friendly. Amused by the server brushing the table free of crumbs with a little brush inbetween courses. (As you can see eating is not one of our priorities on hols.)

Deserts

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6663.jpg

Enjoyed a slow wander south down Fifth Ave and ended up at the Empire State Bdg so ducked in to look at their gorgeous art deco foyer. It was very quiet there-no queues.

Foyer of ESB

DSC_0100.jpg

Next trip we would go up for a different perspective on the skyline...and so home to bed. Can't seem to manage to get to bed before midnight and we're not even out partying.

Your trip report is so amazing, so informative, thank you! I am really enjoying it as I know so little about NY and how to approach it with my family. Especially loved your pic of Times Square - it let me understand how that intersection works and orient myself, I can see where our hotel is and also where DH's family will be staying (we're on opposite sides of the road but I can see how super close we will be!).

BTW, is it just me or coincidence that some of the biggest smiles you guys had in NY were at the Disney store? ;) ;)

Day 9 From dinosaurs to Shakespeare

We all slept in-lovely. After the obligatory pat of Charlie Chaplin (the cat) we caught the subway up to 72nd to have a wander through the lower west side of Central Park (Strawberry Fields etc) en route to the American Museum of Natural History.

Did I put this in before? forget-John Lennon tribute

IMG_0468.jpg

The Park seemed more crowded with tour groups today. Spent several enjoyable hours in the museum though my husband was suffering from a bit of an upset tum so sat a bit more than my daughter and I. Was surprised at the queues to buy tickets when the self-service machines were nearly empty. Very impressed with the planetarium show and the effectiveness of displays here in general. Again selected specific galleries in the main museum to visit-so so much to see. A quick look at some of the dioramas was obligatory but found some exhibits a bit mothy-looking. Stand-out galleries for us were the Hall of Ocean Life, Hall of Biodiversity, Hall of Human Origins, Mexico and Central America galleries, those we saw of the Plains Indians, and of course the Dinosaur galleries though they were a more quick walk through as getting tired and hungry. Overall we learnt a great deal.

In the Rose Centre-Journey to the Stars is a great planaterium show. We obught entry+one show and chose this one but a donasaur exhibition was v popular with the kids.

IMG_0484.jpg

The mammal galleries

IMG_0474-Copy.jpg

Hall of Biodiversity-one of every species

IMG_0487-Copy.jpg

One of many dioramas

IMG_0486-Copy.jpg

Hall of Ocean Life-learnt that whales were land mammels that returned to the ocean

IMG_0491-Copy.jpg

Human Origins gallery-very fascinating exhibits but I put this pic in a la Night at the Museum.

IMG_0496.jpg

Aztec

IMG_0480-Copy.jpg

IMG_0479-Copy.jpg

Easter Island Head

IMG_0499-Copy.jpg

Whole top floor are dinosaur galleries

IMG_0503-Copy.jpg

We came back to the hotel and decided to go to the Chelsea Market for a late lunch. Love how they have renovated here and had an excellent lunch at the Green Table where their home-made soup even tempted my husband and was "just the thing". Also was lured into spending money in some of the kitchen appliance shops.

IMG_6684.jpg

IMG_6683.jpg

Their divine chicken pot pie

Greentable-chicken-pot-pie.jpg

Cupcake shop

IMG_0507.jpg

Back to the hotel dodging rain showers for their wine and cheese party which was fun, chatting to the owners and staff and other guests. Then into our gladrags and off to the Park Armouries for Shakespeare's "As You Like It" performed by the RSC who are playing a season in NY. They have built a replica of their new Stratford theatre within the vast space of the Armouries. It was all very unique and though being on the top row (=cheapest seats!) the acoustics were stunning. Those in the audience who were of a larger build however had rather a hard time getting to and from their seats-in the upper tiers narrow was rather an understatement! This was not one of my favourite plays but our daughter particularly loved it and we enjoyed seeing Shakespeare being performed by the experts. Back to the hotel for late night Fat Witch brownies and a cuppa.

Not Fat Witch but a black and white cookie-always wanted to try one after Seinfield episode.

IMG_6685.jpg

The theatre

shakespearetheatre.jpg

I have forgotten to mention my daughter has been getting great enjoyment out of spotting "cute" rats among the subway tracks (blame books like "Peeps" and "Book of Night with Moon" for this interest) on our nightime ventures. Tonight we finally saw one too but you have to be observant they are so quick. Since rates getting into ceilings isn't unocmmon in Aus-as you Aussie readers all know-(usually following after the possoms who get in first) rats really don't phase us and rest assured if anyone reading this is concerned-you have to be eagle eyed to spot them!

Your trip report is so amazing, so informative, thank you! I am really enjoying it as I know so little about NY and how to approach it with my family. Especially loved your pic of Times Square - it let me understand how that intersection works and orient myself, I can see where our hotel is and also where DH's family will be staying (we're on opposite sides of the road but I can see how super close we will be!).

BTW, is it just me or coincidence that some of the biggest smiles you guys had in NY were at the Disney store? ;) ;)
Glad to be of help-Times Sqe is sane by day til lunchtime then gets mad and packed at night. Disney Store - Yep-probably was our biggest smiles-we were in seventh heaven! Could have bought SOOO much and SO cheap! Now have to investigate on-line I think!

Another one enjoying the info... more and more links going into my special Dec 2012 folder of things to see and do!! I had only planned 5 days for NY, but I think I could spend soooo much more time there!!!

Loving your TR and especially all the detail. I am getting some great ideas for our next trip!

Looking forward to the next installment.

Two cameras -a quite new Canon G12 - not SLR but a few more bells and whistles than a p&s (hubby's provence and a 50th pressie to himself-I still am trying to fathom how to work the more complicated bits) and an older Canon p&s with a small zoom that belongs to my daughter. Hers takes better sunrises and sunsets than the new one-the sunset shots over the Hudson are taken with that for ex. The nightime ones from TOR (not yet posted) & fireworks are mostly with the Canon-blurred more easily than husband's old but good DSLR-he didn't want to bring this bigger camera with him this trip. Both take great macro - shots in Grand Canyon to come of hummingbird and bees I think are really good and yes colours are good on both.

Thought so, kind of ;) I have it's predecessor, the G11 as my small camera. They are truely a brilliant line of cameras. I purchased the waterproof housing form B&H to take away. It was about US$175 or in Australia for around $450! :headache:

Getting lots of ideas from your TR, going into our plans for NY when we eventually go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter