Trip Report - October 2008

SFimporter

Earning My Ears
Just returned from a shortened week at Disneyworld. This is a bit sporadic, but I realized that most of my information was about dining - so thought I'd post it in this forum.

I was traveling with my partner, he early 50s, me early 40s - and our good friend, early 60s. So we purposely chose to stay off property to have an escape available when we were over Disneyed (they hit their limits before I did). We stayed at the Buena Vista Palace, which is just across the street from Downtown Disney. I've put a review in the hotel section. While it is modern, clean, and priced right - the downsides were thin walls and not very frequent transportation to the parks.

There are several busses that arrive about once an hour. If you hit it right, it's great, but if you miss it, it's a long wait. Though once on board, BVP is the last hotel pickup, so there was no traveling to other hotels - it was straight to the parks.

I hadn't been to Disneyworld in 10 years, so there was lots to see. Generally, it was an awesome time of year to visit as there were hardly any lines to wait in. We used one or two fast passes on the weekend, but during the week they weren't needed at all.

I had made many Advanced Dining Reservations for the week and was pleased with most places, disappointed in others.

Le Cellier in Canada at EPCOT was a major disappointment. Service was at Applebee's standards and our server seemed inexperienced. We felt rushed and service was just off. They really need to train their people in proper service. I expect meal plates to be cleared before a dessert menu is thrust at me. Our server swore by the mac & cheese side dish which we ordered due the recommendation. It was completely tasteless. Everything else was just par. I would skip this place on a return.

Lunch at Yak & Yeti in Animal Kingdom was a welcome respite - but it was a bit of a surprise to find that 12:30 reservations don't mean too much. You are still required to wait in a long line with others who don't have reservations. Once you get to the front and they confirm that you have reservations, they hand you a slip of paper to give you priority - which you carry over to a second maître d'. It seemed like it took forever to be seated.

We loved Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Though I have to say that I wasn't expecting the guards at the gates to the resorts. Our cab driver told us that we'd have to show our room key to get by - but we just said that we were having a meal there and were waved through.

Unlike Canada, our server at Jiko was perfectly refined and knew his stuff. He recommended an amazing lemon curd dessert that was the highlight of the meal. The lamb was also amazing.

We had an unscheduled lunch at the Garden Grill in The Land at EPCOT. We didn't know it was a character area - and had no idea that there was essentially no menu. They basically feed you family style with various meats and sides. Surprisingly nice.

Mixed reviews for Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge. The meal was fine, but not nearly as nice as Jiko.

The Brown Derby was as expected - but we were shocked that it was only 1/4 full at lunch rush. Once the weekend passed it seemed you didn't really need reservations anywhere - as the crowds were very, very low.

Wolfgang Puck's restaurant at Downtown Disney (not the express version, but the actual sit-down restaurant) was simply awful. Overpriced and tasteless. I had a completely overdressed salad followed by the signature goulash and spaetzle. Skip this one!

Pleasure Island was quite depressing - as it was mostly shut down. Such a pale image of what it once was.

All in all, a good time.

Animal Kingdom was fun, though the Jungle Safari was lame. Disney so overdid this with the poacher storyline. Really guys, all we want is to see the animals, the rest is overkill.

Hollywood Studios was dated and many places were under renovation. The back-lot tour was a big waste of time.

Magic Kingdom still can't hold a candle to Disneyland.

EPCOT is always fun - though many of the Futureworld attractions are really tired. The Seas with Nemo and Friends was pretty awful. The Living Seas was much better the last time I visited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter