Trip Report

Aussiefamof5

Mouseketeer
So after being back for nearly 2 months, back in to the full swing of Christmas and work I thought I better get my butt in to gear and write a trip report. It will only be basic but If I can give back to others who helped me whilst we were planning, and help someone else in return.
The travellers were myself 37, my dear partne (41)r now fiancé ( ), Hamish 15, Saxon 9, Matilda 3. Travelling to the Unites States sunny California from November 1st – November 15th

DAY 1
As we are from Hobart it was a very early start for us to say the least we left home at 3;30am to catch the 6am flight from Hobart to Melbourne. We chose to fly with Virgin Australia the whole way, and really that only came down to the best price at the time. I have to say they were fantastic in some aspects and not quite so in others… but I will get to that.

Here is all our bags not forgetting the Makka Pakka teddy LOL, we returned with a lot more.

Miss Tilly so happy at 3am

We arrived in Melbourne for a very short layover then another quick Virgin flight to Sydney for our international departure later that afternoon

Once we arrived in Sydney it was time for lunch and some dollars form Travelex, then we awaited our international flight.

We departed Sydney at 2:25, Miss Matilda had been fantastic with all the landings and take off thus far, laughing at the captain going fast but I was a little worried on the 777. We sat down for the take-off and Matilda fell asleep immediately, thus needing for me not to worry.

Could not fault the service on this flight, the seats were very comfortable for economy we were seated in row 37 window to the middle. The food was well ok for economy, accommodating my gluten and lactose allergies very well. From memory there was a main meal and later in the evening a snack consisting of some toastie which was rather pointless as the crew insisted on waking people up for it. My boys said there was snacks and water and soft drink near the toilets but I never saw those. The RED system was brilliant, tons of movies and music, PEPPA PIG for Matilda was a saviour having that seat back tv is great, it interacts quiet well, I had heard previous reviews of people saying they constantly felt the pushing in the back of seat from the tapping of screen, but I never felt that

After a forever time of 15 hours Miss Matilda did really well slept for 6 hours then me armed with my surprise activities managed to keep her entertained till right before landing when she became grumpy and hated on her daddy something chronic, so I couldn’t take any pictures for landing. We touched town only slightly ahead of schedule at approx. 9:25am November 1st only for the captain to inform us we arrived in the middle of another LAX lockdown. So we waited on the plan for what seemed like forever but I think it was 45 minutes.
Once inside we breezed through customs and thinking YES lets get our luggage and head straight to Disneyland Hotel…. And in to the parks… um well that was not going to happen. Once in the arrivals hall we realised something was wrong, an endless serpent line of people waiting to get through immigration…. We found out there had been a shooting and we were held in the arrivals hall for our own safety. Fair enough, we waited and waited and waited with an airport representative yelling “There is TWO LINES FOLKS TWO LINES”… ahhh no definitely not two lines as Matilda pointed out “mummy everyone is lining up like a big snake”. We weren’t allowed to eat there was only water from a fountain which I took the kids over for a drink only to see a dirty person blowing there nose in to it… NO THANKYOU we will dehydrate.

After 3 hours I had enough, and this is the problem I had with Virgin Australia, there was no communication from them what so ever, once we were off that plane they couldn’t care less. I found a LAX representative walking around and told her we have 3 children one with diabetes can we please get through quicker…. “OH my you have 3 children come with me” she said, off we went well it kinda created a chain reaction everyone saw we were going through and wanted to follow, we thought we were in luck finally, nope here is another huge room full of families… more waiting. I have to say we were all in the same situation and there was a lot of rude arrogant people, my partner well he hadn’t had a ciggi in nearly 24 hours so I think he was in a trance by this stage.
We finally got through immigration and OMG then we realised the extent, we finally saw some shots on TV screens as to what happened and I am very sorry for the families who suffered a tragic loss my waiting was nothing compared to that.

So more waiting and the only food was beer nuts and beer!!!! Yep that will do so more waiting as we were told that were about to be released HA like we were prisoners.

A very tired me and my dear partner

Suddenly everyone was pushing forward, reminded me being at a Rock concert, we backed off and thought we will wait its not worth being crushed. Finally we were out lets get to where we needed to go……. Again MISTAKEN.

Some random shots of outside

The mass of people went forever.

We were waiting for the Disneyland express, and the airport police were slowly letting in buses etc, Now this what I love about Aussies, in a desperate situation you all stick together  We met some fellow aussie travellers who were awaiting the same bus, and all day this guy was screaming “ LOT C LOT C folks get on this bus it will take you to cabs, buses limos take you to where you need to go!!”
We rang California grayline numerous times who said they were waiting to be given permission to go in bla blah well we paired up with our fellow travellers and decided yep gotta get outta here lets go halves in a limo!! We boarded the LOT C bus, my son decided he had to vomit on the bus…. Then only to discover lot c was just that no people allowed its just a lot that’s close to the airport that when they get a booking off they go.

OMG welcome to the city of angels what the hell!!! By this stage it was dark there were 6 adults and 4 kids one with a pram with luggage walking the streets of LA at night…. Hmmmmm not COOL!!!
We ended up at Burger King I think and were all feeling lost, it was about 9:30pm there was some real shady dudes hanging around and this mumma bear was starting to get protective, my poor kiddos were sooo tired. We rang Disneyland Hotel and our friends rang paradise pier to see if they could do anything to help us out. They said you have to go back to LAX and catch the last Disneyland hotel bus….. pfffftttt NO FREAKIN WAY was I going back there. Some cabs went buy we took photos on our phones and called them, 3 cabs we needed. They got to us straight away, yyyeeeessssssssss. ALI was our driver he was absolutely fantastic made us feel very welcome gave the kids some treats, we said goodbye to our friends and finally we were going to Disneyland 
We arrived at 10:30pm and upon arrival I burst in to tears, it was a long day, we were finally here and OMG this place is beautiful.

We checked in, I wish I remembered his name at the check in desk he was fabulous, he said they were worried we were caught up in everything and to make our stay more magical they upgraded us to a standard room, high floor in adventure tower with downtown Disney view.

For now it was food then bed, so we made our way to downtown disney and stumbled across of Earl Of Sandwich

So this was our crappy overwhelming day one but by this stage I didn’t care we were at Disney :dance3: We went back to our room and slept so soundly for the next day was going to be our first day in the park.

I'm loving reading this, but felling so sorry for you at the same time. I know how I feel even after cruising through LAX. I can't even imagine what you went through.
Can't wait to read more.

I'm loving reading this, but felling so sorry for you at the same time. I know how I feel even after cruising through LAX. I can't even imagine what you went through.
Can't wait to read more.

Yeah Aussie shaz it was total crap very overwhelming but it didnt matter once we finally arrived at Disneyland Hotel :)

Oh no what a terrible start to your holiday, I'm glad you got upgraded at least it ended on a good note. Hope it got better the next day, looking forward to reading the rest :thumbsup2

Day 2
Our alarm rudely awoke us but that was a short fleeting moment, oh yeah we are at Disney whoooo. We were ready for our first day in the park, as guests of the onsite hotels you get early entry into the parks on certain days so today we were going in to Disneyland.

Our plan was to head straight to the Camera shop on mainstreet as I needed to exchange my Photo Pass plus voucher. This folks is the best $70 bucks you will ever spend, we got hundreds of photos, you exchange for a card in the camera shop and you hand that card to photographers if you want a picture with characters, you also get bonus ride shots and the character dining shots. One tip take a photo on your camera or mobile of your voucher receipt as it has your number on it. So if you lose it present this picture in the camera shop and they can upload all your pictures on to a new card.

Once voucher was exchanged I was heading to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for our 9:30 reservation and my partner was going to take the boys to tomorrow land and fantasy land for the early rides, Space Mountain, Star Tours, and my memory is fading but I think there was some fantasyland ones open as well. They wanted to do space 3 times as it was set for closure on the 4th

One thing that became a regular pattern first thing of a morning whilst we were away Matida would be VERY grumpy an uncooperative, she would usually be sleeping soundly at home. Once she had a little nap in her pram for an hour our little angel had returned lOL

Yay the castle

One of the magic photpass shots

So off I went with a grumpy princess in tow who assured me she was NOT dressing up and didnt want to see the princesses... well that changed very quickly LOL We had a res for the Castle Package (I think or it was the Crown) basically it was the package where you get the choice of outfit, Tiara, shoes, hair and makeup, photos and an exclusive meet and greet with the princesses. All up $185 including Tax, don’t forget to tip your fairy godmother as they are great

Here are some before and after shots

[URL=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/veeh1234/media/bfa22070-58ba-470a-96b7-a2770110aac5_zps7683c473.jpg.html]

After Miss Tilly got her photos taken we were taken to a direct private meet and greet with the princesses. THis is the where the value comes in from the bibbidi bobbid boutique package. We got so much achieved in our first day. We didnt bother with ride max or touring plans, as we only purchased one park per day tickets it was a great way for us to cover alot of ground in one day.

OMG! Miss Tilly is soooo cute!

Sounds like a pretty eventful arrival at LAX and I'm glad you made it to DLH.

Looking forward to more.

What a full on start to your trip :eek:

Miss Tilly is clearly not a morning person :rotfl2:

Cool, I'm loving reading along. I'm sorry your trip started off a bit rough, but how lovely to know that the Disneyland Hotel was the light at the end of the tunnel.

A few questions:
Did you mind not having Park Hoppers? (That is my next decision)

Also, were the DLH pools heated?

Loving your trip report, your DD looks very cute:lovestruc
We were stuck in an airport in Canada trying to get to Seattle, the day an idiot tried to get on a plane with a bomb in his shoe, so all of a sudden everything was chaos on any flight going into the US, Huge queues, no communication, we couldn't leave a secure area for hours, no food etc. the problem is no one knows what is happening, even the staff, we just had to wait, lucky for us we hadn't been on a 14hour flight before hand like you guys, I think you just have to put it down to an experience, one that you don't want to redo. I'm not sure virgin staff could have been of any help, they were probably in the dark just like you guys.

How good to know that the hotel staff were so kind, pixie dust for allpixiedust:pixiedust:

:)
Cool, I'm loving reading along. I'm sorry your trip started off a bit rough, but how lovely to know that the Disneyland Hotel was the light at the end of the tunnel.

A few questions:
Did you mind not having Park Hoppers? (That is my next decision)

Also, were the DLH pools heated?

Park hoppers were really not an issue at all, we were very flexible, its easier to go one park for each day in particular with kids, we split up as well my partner taking the older ones for the thrill rides and me and tilly in the kiddies ones.

We used the fastpasses alot that was great, its a really good option

The DLH hotel was amazing Ill post some more shots this evening its a beautiful onsite property.

DLH pools were heated, and divine... lovely to swim in of an evening and early morning, especially the jacquizzi I used to take my paper down and sit in there and have some solitary moments .... :)

That's so cool that the BBB includes a princess meet and greet - I don't think that happens at WDW... Would definitely make it worth the extra money:)

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your adventure!

Loving your trip report, your DD looks very cute:lovestruc
We were stuck in an airport in Canada trying to get to Seattle, the day an idiot tried to get on a plane with a bomb in his shoe, so all of a sudden everything was chaos on any flight going into the US, Huge queues, no communication, we couldn't leave a secure area for hours, no food etc. the problem is no one knows what is happening, even the staff, we just had to wait, lucky for us we hadn't been on a 14hour flight before hand like you guys, I think you just have to put it down to an experience, one that you don't want to redo. I'm not sure virgin staff could have been of any help, they were probably in the dark just like you guys.

How good to know that the hotel staff were so kind, pixie dust for allpixiedust:pixiedust:

It is so hard being stuck in an airport at the best of time but a bomb in a shoe my god what goes through some peoples head amazes me

It wasnt until later that I checked out virgin australias page on FB and they proclaimed that the were helping out all their passengers and to talk to a friendly agent bla bla bla... i think that just annoyed me as their was no Virgin Australia rep in sight, but like I said before it was nothing compared to the tragic loss that a family had to go through and at the end of the day they were just trying to keep passengers safe, and annoyed LOL

Great trip report :thumbsup2

Continuing on from our bibbidi bobbidi visit we were off to meet the princesses, amazing value and not having to line up for hours as the line was quiet long when we got through, I did feel bad for the other kids waiting though.
Anyways here are some of my fav princess shots

so after this which Miss tilly was delighted with we quickly went to jolly holiday bakery for a quick bite, it wasnt that great very pricy some bakery items and their coffee ... well as we know american coffee is :sick:, i quickly realised after that starbucks coffee was the way to go LOL

Wen then went to the Tangled show which was a stage performance featuring Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder. Here are some shots of the show

And to Miss Tillys delight she got to meet Rapunzel and Flynn afterwards, she happily gave Rapunzel a big hug, then she looked at flynn paused and gave him a big thumbs up :thumbsup2 was really funny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter