Trying to Find a New Perspective - Grarsh's Journal

grarsh

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone! My name's Marshall and I'm a 27 year old guy living in Massachusetts. I work at a university in the Residence Life Office running a couple of the residence halls on campus. I've been overweight for most of my life, but in the last couple years I've really put on a lot of weight. At this point my goal is to lose 100 pounds. I'm going to Disney World in February 2010, and I'd like to take at least a little bit of that off by then. Who wants to worry about fitting into the rides, right?

I'm trying to just find a new perspective this time around in my weight loss attempt. I think that in the past I've always thought of weight loss as dieting and really putting a lot of restrictions on yourself. This time I just want to get better at making healthier choices for myself...something more long term and maintainable. Looking back at past weight loss attempts, I've always stocked my fridge with what I considered "diet" foods, and really, I never had any intention of eating them. I've always made a lot of excuses for myself - like my work hours are crazy - but I just feel like the bottom line is that I just need to make a healthy lifestyle more of a priority and find something that really works for me.

And with that, I started weight watchers. Portion control seemed to be the first lifestyle adjustment to get a little bit of control over.

So, I'm hoping this journal is a good way to process this experience. Any comments or insights would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Marshall

Sounds like you have a great attitude! One bite at a time, right? ;) How are your first few days going?

Hey! Thanks for the reply! The last few days have been good. I actually had the opportunity to go to dinner with friends that I haven't seen in years a couple days ago. I'm a little embarassed to admit that I almost canceled bececause I've put on a lot of weight since I last saw them and I guess I had some shame issues to work through - lol. But, I forced myself to just suck it up and go and we had an awesome time.

I've been able to stick to weight watchers since I started and am really just trying to make small adjustments to food that I love and to meals that I order when I eat out. I found an amazing weight watchers buffalo chicken tender recipe that I think is going to help me out a lot because it now makes one of my fave foods more accessible and healthy.

The weather here has been super rainy and dark though, and I'm feeling a huge urge to get nasty take-out and just watch movies in my apartment. I'm trying to fight the urge.

Make those buffalo chicken tenders and watch movies - and please post that recipe! I'm thinking I need it! :thumbsup2 or if you do get take-out get something in your point-range and make sure you savor it.

Congrats to you for meeting up with your friends - they want to see their friend! And just think, now you're set up for a great meeting next time when there will be LESS of you for them to see!:laughing:

We're doing movies tonight here...but tween movies - Inkheart and Hotel for Dogs. It's int he low 70s and dreary out, I think we skipped summer and went to fall! :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter